• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

For those of the MetalGAF in the UK

header-logo.png

bands.jpg

http://uktechfest.com

damn, I am truly not a true metal head anymore. i don't know a single one of those bands.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
damn, I am truly not a true metal head anymore. i don't know a single one of those bands.

To be fair this the new-er, dent-y side of metal. That said, Tesseract had probably one of the best albums of 2011 (I think that's when One came out). Veil of Maya, Monuments, Chimpspanner, Uneven Structure, and Scar Symmetry are the only ones I recognize, but I like them too.

also: "Destiny Potato"?! What a stupid fucking name, lol

FUCK YEAH! Helloween's NA dates:

Sept
24 NYC Stage 48
25 Montreal Club Soda
26 Quebec City Theater Imperial
28 Toronto Opera House
30 Joliet , IL Mojoes
Oct
2 Englewood , CO Gothic Theater
3 SLC , UT In The Venue
5 Seattle , WA El Corazon
7 Anaheim , CA The Grove

Didn't even hesitate to get my ticket. And no idea if any of my friends even wanna go, but fuck it I'm not missing them in Joliet(I really like that venue)!

Kaladin

Baroness update....

Update
Posted: March 25, 2013

Nothing can truly prepare you for a brush with death. The event is unique one, singular to the observer. Trust me, you don’t want to invite the experience. Our bus accident left indelible marks, external and internal, physical and mental, you name it. Each of the nine of us went through and continues to go through an entirely different, yet common experience. We are tied to each other by a trauma, which, despite its damage, has been made individually easier through our shared ordeal. While I would never wish the incident on anyone, I cannot imagine going through that wreck alone.

Thankfully, injury was not dealt out evenly; unfortunately it was dealt in great supply. Each of the nine of us now finds our self in a drastically different circumstance, and we each move forward accordingly. There are two important things to note. First, we are all healthy. We are recovering at different rates, and we’ll all be fine in the end. Second, Baroness has made a commitment to pick up where we left off, and get back out on tour, where we belong. In fact, I am personally staking my recovery on this principle; it gives me direction and something to look forward to (finally).

However, for some of us, the accident necessitated a change that would prevent them from performing music or touring. It is with sadness that we must announce that Matt Maggioni and Allen Blickle will not continue touring with Baroness. The details of their departure are not sensational; they do not come with hard feelings. Nor are the details going to be public; suffice it to say we’d like to keep to ourselves the finer points of this situation, to respect the privacy of all involved. While the nine of us must respect the significance of the bus accident in Bath, we must also move away from it and get back to our lives. Simply put, some of the effects and injuries were severe enough to prohibit further activity in Baroness. While we would never have asked them to leave; we have the utmost sympathy for this situation, and in earnest, we wish Matt and Allen the best in the future. In their stead, we have found two musicians who can approach our music with passion and vitality and help get us back out on tour to finish what was seemingly cut short last August.

‘til the wheels fall off,

John Baizley & Baroness

TL,DR: Baroness have lost their bass player and drummer due to issues from the bus crash, the issues will not be made public, but it sounds like something either mental or physical that prevents them from going on with the band.

Ravager61

Baroness update....

TL,DR: Baroness have lost their bass player and drummer due to issues from the bus crash, the issues will not be made public, but it sounds like something either mental or physical that prevents them from going on with the band.

Their bass player was relatively new but losing their drummer is a big blow. He was great.

Really sucks for them that this happened. I hope they can bounce back.

Mush

Friend of mine that I work with reminded me to check out The Contortionist. It's a name I'd heard before, so I took a listen. Listened to both their albums quite a few times in the last few days and I'm really digging it.
It's funny you mention that, because they've only just recently announced that their vocalist/synth player is leaving to help raise his first child. He was a big reason why I loved their first 2 LPs so much.

If there's one thing that annoys me, its vocalist changes. Argh.

Kaladin

Their bass player was relatively new but losing their drummer is a big blow. He was great.

Really sucks for them that this happened. I hope they can bounce back.

Baroness is kind of John Baizley's band anyway....as long as he's a part of it they'll bounce back.

brinstar

Anyone else listened to the new Cathedral? The Last Spire. It's bleak as all hell and really uncompromising. There are a few moments of innocent beauty here and there, which makes it even more bizarre. This will take some time to sink in, I love it! I ordered it on vinyl, in transparent blue double LP, wohooo! Those should kind of match the cold cover art (Arik Roper, btw.) and the Dave Patchett painting in the gatefold!

37784.jpg

cath2.jpg

Shit, I didn't know this was out. I'm gonna miss Cathedral

As hard as I try I just cent get into the new Stratovarius album. It just feels way over produced and too electronic.

They definitely are becoming a really shiny, focused, and hook driven band as of Tolkki's leaving. I love it, I think it works wonderfully for them. Sharp as a damn razor, those hooks are. Jens' keyboards are all over the damned place though, that's for certain.

And :( to those Helloween dates. Please add some more!

obin_gam

Ghost has a released a music video for their song Year Zero.
It along with the song is very good, but it's also quite NSFW (as metal videos should be :p )

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
FUCK YEAH! Helloween's NA dates:

Didn't even hesitate to get my ticket. And no idea if any of my friends even wanna go, but fuck it I'm not missing them in Joliet(I really like that venue)!

You so luuuuucky!!!!!! Well March from hell is almost over we had bands coming all this month and I am thankful for that cuz my pocket was in agony hopefully will make it for the Pagan Fest this weekend but we'll see!

Now I shall wait for Strativarious in May and Avantasia in July, sadly wont make it for Devin Townsend this april but, you cannot have it all so I shall stay happy that I saw Sonata Arctica, Turisas and met both bands.

rObit

Banned
The new Killswitch Engage album is streaming over at Alternative Press.

Seems decent so far. I'm liking the cleans and the choruses, some of the verse riffs feel relatively uninspired to me. Might be a grower.

Kaladin

Where can I find out about these shows? I would travel to see Uncle Acid.

Edit: apparently they're UK only for now......come to the US you bastards.

I have the album, haven't listened to it since it came out >_> I'll rip it and give it a listen one of these days. This is probably my favorite song by them:

As I Die

Edit: And yes you should listen to more Elvis :p

hehe I will :p

I can understand hardcore Paradise Lost fans hating it at the time, but I really think it's a great sounding record with amazing riffs and super catchy songs. You just kind of have to judge it on its own I guess.

But I still think old Paradise Lost is best, though.

P44

Need some recommendations, want to expand the old library

I'm looking for bands of a similar ilk to stuff like Ne Obliviscaris, Opeth, etc

Blackheim

Did somebody say Elvis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaD5mAC3P2s (not metal...and not Elvis)

Haha, some goofy stuff :p

hehe I will :p

I can understand hardcore Paradise Lost fans hating it at the time, but I really think it's a great sounding record with amazing riffs and super catchy songs. You just kind of have to judge it on its own I guess.

But I still think old Paradise Lost is best, though.

Just got an e-mail from The End Records, whaddayaknow, they are having a 25% off Doom sale and so I'm updating my Paradise Lost collection on the cheap :p

PARADISE LOST - Shades Of God (bonus tracks) 1 PARADISE LOST - Shades Of God (bonus tracks)
Coupon Code applied - you saved $1.75 $6.99 $5.24

PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times: Legacy Edition 1 PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times: Legacy Edition
Coupon Code applied - you saved $3.00 $11.99 $8.99

PARADISE LOST - Icon (bonus tracks) 1 PARADISE LOST - Icon (bonus tracks)
Coupon Code applied - you saved $2.00 $7.99 $5.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom