• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Sandman42 said:
Slough Feg's newest album Ape Uprising is streaming fully online here.

It's pretty cool actually, I'm diggin' it so far.

Just got done listening an hour or so ago. I must say I like it. Its not Traveller or Down Among the Deadmen quality, but its still quite good.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sandman42 said:

I'll check it out. I like Slough Feg. Before clicking the link I had no idea Crescent Shield had a second album coming out yet. If you like Slough Feg you should check them out as well. Their album is streaming as well.

Sandman42

Ravager61 said:
Just got done listening an hour or so ago. I must say I like it. Its not Traveller or Down Among the Deadmen quality, but its still quite good.
They have evolved their sound a bit since those days. Nothing wrong with different.

cwmartin

the-iek said:
you shoudl start one ;)

sooooo would if I could. Currently listening to the new Vanna very regularly, and saw them in Hartford a couple weeks ago, most fun ive had at a show besides Coheed.

Flynn said:
What's Disfear? Because I'd like to hug and kiss whatever category Disfear falls into.

Im not a genre king, but I think what I just sampled on their myspace is pretty metal and rock sounding, his vocals are cool. I dug it

Flynn

cwmartin said:
Im not a genre king, but I think what I just sampled on their myspace is pretty metal and rock sounding, his vocals are cool. I dug it

Yes. There's certainly some punk in there, but the vocals are certainly metal. That record, Live the Storm, is fucking awesome.

Ceres

Banned
I didn't see this mentioned so...
According to an article in the Japanese magazine Burrn, STRATOVARIUS singer Timo Kotipelto and former SONATA ARCTICA guitarist Jani Liimatainen have joined forces in a new band called CAIN'S OFFERING. The group's debut album, "Gather The Faithful", will be released in July. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "13th Disciple", "Stolen Waters", "More Than Friends" and "Morpheus In a Masquerade".

Commented Jani, "The drums [for 'Gather The Faithful'] were recorded at Drumforest Studios last November/December, the bass at Astia Studios during February, the basic guitar tracks were laid down in the beginning of March at Studio 57, and last couple of weeks we've been camping out in the woods with Timo recording the lead vocals. We still have two more songs to record, but all in all, things are going smoothly."

CAIN'S OFFERING is:

Timo Kotipelto (STRATOVARIUS, KOTIPELTO) - Vocals
Jani Liimatainen (ex-SONATA ARCTICA) - Guitar
Mikko Harkin (ex-SONATA ARCTICA) - Keyboards
Jukka Koskinen (ex-NORTHER, WINTERSUN) - Bass
Jani Hurula - Drums

Website's up. http://www.cainsoffering.com/
They're being managed by Intromental which makes the band a very good possibility for a future Progpower USA.

3436760646_ddbefb4623_o.jpg

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Sandman42 said:

This pretty much makes up for Hardworlder.

I preordered this from Cruz del Sur and it should be shipping from Italy on Monday, woo.

Lacuna Coils new CD is out....

And it sounds a lot like their other music, which is a good thing. :)

Im on track 5 so cant fully comment, but I do wish theyd do another italian song like Senzafina

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Going to see Lamb of God and Children of Bodom tomorrow. Not so much excited about Lamb of God though.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Might as well post it here too..

g30634ch3u3.jpg

Can't stop spinning this album!! It's so awesome!
If you love blind guardian (nightfall middle earth), you'll love this! It's a bit thrashier than BG, but it's good; choruses, vocals, and all that speed/power metal shit in between!
;)

Here's a sample:
Persuader- Turn To Dust
Best fuckin song overall!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else going to Paganfest? I can't wait. I got my tickets for the Springfield date today. I'm a fan of Persuader. Evolution Purgatory is the only one I've heard. It's a shame Jens quit Dark Empire. I liked their first album.

Lebron

sazabirules said:
Anyone else going to Paganfest? I can't wait. I got my tickets for the Springfield date today. I'm a fan of Persuader. Evolution Purgatory is the only one I've heard. It's a shame Jens quit Dark Empire. I liked their first album.
I'm going to the one near Chicago in Mokena on May 7th. I'm not that familiar with the bands that will be there, but my friend is. So I will tag a long.

Ceres

Banned
sazabirules said:

Mass date is the same night as Volbeat/Nightwish in Hartford. I was not missing out on Volbeat. Plus I'm not as interested in this year's lineup compared to last.

Phobophile

Lebron said:
I'm going to the one near Chicago in Mokena on May 7th. I'm not that familiar with the bands that will be there, but my friend is. So I will tag a long.

Yeah I'll prolly be there. I'm about 20-25 min east of Mokena in the south burbs.

XShagrath

NameGenerated said:
Amon Amarth and Skeletonwitch tonight!

I'm going to the show in Orlando on Friday. Lazarus AD and Goatwhore will be there too.

I'm mainly going for Amon Amarth, but Skeletonwitch sounds pretty good from the little I've heard. Goatwhore can just not show up for all I care.

Cheech

jamesinclair said:
Lacuna Coils new CD is out....

And it sounds a lot like their other music, which is a good thing. :)

Im on track 5 so cant fully comment, but I do wish theyd do another italian song like Senzafina

Yeah, I didn't feel this on the first listen. It seemed kinda bland and "poppy" compared to their past stuff.

Phobophile

DieNgamers said:
Where did you get that? My favourite song is the one with "Tears" in its name.
Select independent retail stores will offer exclusive HEAVEN & HELL T-shirts and/or copies of the album signed by the entire band, while supplies last. See below for a list of all participating stores and contact them directly for more details.

Participating independent retail stores:

* Cactus Music - Houston, TX
* The Exchange - Cleveland, OH
* Independent Records - Denver, CO
* Looney Tunes - Long Island, NY
* Newbury Comics - 28 total stores in Boston, MA area
* Record Theatre - Buffalo, NY
* Record & Tape Traders - Washington D.C.
* Rolling Stone - Chicago, IL
* Silver Platters - Seattle, WA
* The Omega Order - online only
* Vintage Vinyl - Fords, NJ
* Zias - Phoenix, AZ, Tucson, AZ & Las Vegas, NV

I got mine at Rolling Stones in Norridge, IL.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
XShagrath said:
I'm going to the show in Orlando on Friday. Lazarus AD and Goatwhore will be there too.

I'm mainly going for Amon Amarth, but Skeletonwitch sounds pretty good from the little I've heard. Goatwhore can just not show up for all I care.
I don't think I've heard any Goatwhore. I listened to like 2 Lazarus A.D. songs and they sounded pretty good. But yeah, Amon Amarth is what I'm going for and Skeletonwtich is icing on the cake. They could just play Within My Blood and I'd be content.

Phobophile

Dr. Strangelove said:
I've been kinda lukewarm on this type of stuff recently
I agree. I was all about modern sludge a couple years ago but it's all just been so overdone. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon and most ended up falling off.

NameGenerated

Ok so the Amon Amarth concert was so fucking badass.

If you have the chance to see Skeletonwitch, go. Their vocalist has some of the best stage presence I've ever seen. He's insane, jumping off of everything like the bass drum and amps and acting out lyrics. I kind of felt bad for the others because I couldn't take my eyes off of him. They played 9 of the 12 songs from Beyond The Permafrost and a brand new song from their upcoming album. I even got their setlist that was on the back of a poster, but it ripped when he was taking it off the amp so it just says "KELETONWITCH" on the front.

Amon Amarth was also incredible. All four of them windmill headbanging in unison was amazing. They played for about an hour and a half and played at least one song from every album except The Crusher. The backdrop was a giant picture of the artwork from Twilight Of The Thunder God and there were 2 giant shields with A's on them. Not much else to say, just an amazing show.

Goatwhore was pretty cool, they sounded like Behemoth mixed with Pantera maybe?
Lazarus A.D. were ok, if a bit generic and the guitarists pick bounced off of my head when he threw it. :lol

I was also next to Mr. 50 year old gray-haired man who did nothing but use his digital camera to take 10 pictures per song of every single band. Annoying and distracting, not sure why he bothered to go if he was going to take pictures the whole time. I can understand taking a few with your cell phone (I took 6 of AA and 8 of Skeletonwitch, but my cell phone camera is crap) but this was ridiculous. Then there's the guy who has long hair and headbangs getting it all up in your face, but I can understand that. Still pretty annoying.

Here's probably the least sucky picture of Johann:

2wpmrz7.jpg

Overall, incredible.

Aske

NameGenerated said:
Amon Amarth was also incredible. All four of them windmill headbanging in unison was amazing. They played for about an hour and a half and played at least one song from every album except The Crusher.

I wonder why they have such an aversion to that album. One of their best discs, in my opinion. They'll occasionally play Bleed For Ancient Gods or Victorious March from The Avenger and Once Sent from Golden Hall. But the half dozen stunning tracks from The Crusher never get played live. I hope they at least dust off A Fury Divine for their next tour.

NameGenerated

Yep they played both of those songs.

Here's what they played, if I can remember correctly:

Twilight Of The Thunder God
Asator
Guardians Of Asgaard
Death In Fire
Under The Northern Star
Free Will Sacrifice
Fate Of Norns
Victorious March
Bleed For The Ancient Gods
For The Stabwounds In Our Back
Runes To My Memory
Cry Of The Blackbirds
The Pursuit Of Vikings

Maybe a couple others that I'm forgetting, but that's most of it.

nitewulf

Agalloch is awesome, The Mantle has been a revelation. Very, very, good. Any other similar bands out there? the less growling the better, in fact I'd prefer pure instrumental bands.

Phobophile

nitewulf said:
Agalloch is awesome, The Mantle has been a revelation. Very, very, good. Any other similar bands out there? the less growling the better, in fact I'd prefer pure instrumental bands.

Might as well just listen to some neofolk if you just want instrumental Agalloch.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the posters in this thread for introducing me to a lot of music I probably never would have heard otherwise. Though I can't say I like most of it once the vocals start (similar to the other guy a few pages back, for me, the death grunts, raspy voice screaming has to pretty much be absent), the non vocals are pretty amazing for most of the bands and since the thread does pretty much cover the entire metal spectrum it probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that any reader could find at least one band/subgenre they enjoy.

Sandman42

evilpigking said:
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the posters in this thread for introducing me to a lot of music I probably never would have heard otherwise. Though I can't say I like most of it once the vocals start (similar to the other guy a few pages back, for me, the death grunts, raspy voice screaming has to pretty much be absent), the non vocals are pretty amazing for most of the bands and since the thread does pretty much cover the entire metal spectrum it probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that any reader could find at least one band/subgenre they enjoy.

That's cool man, a lot of people can't stand harsh vocals at first but learn to enjoy them later. It's a process.

Enjoy some non-extreme metal!
Megadeth
Dream Theater
Corrosion of Conformity
Baroness
Angra
Slough Feg
Wuthering Heights
Hibria
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Anthrax

Sandman42

Ravager61 said:
I recently rediscovered my love for this album. I use to like When the Kite String Pops more, but I think PTT is now my favorite.
I'm a fan of When the Kite String Pops personally. Nothing really clicked with me when listening to Pagan Terrorism Tactics.

Daddy'sGun said:
I saw Anal Cunt a couple days ago and have a new found lack of respect for them

Anal_Cunt-Seth-Sig-jpg.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I saw them about 10 years ago and i yelled out "Pepe the Gay Waiter" and Seth Putnam dedicated to "that faggot over there in the audience" :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom