• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandman42 said:
I hope Quo Vadis comes out with something new this year. Day Into Night is still one of my all time favourite albums.

If you have never heard Quo Vadis before check them out!

French-Canadian metal at its best!

I was into them for a bit then kinda forgot about them. Check out Martyr "Warp Zone" for something similar, French-Canadian too.

evilpigking said:
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the posters in this thread for introducing me to a lot of music I probably never would have heard otherwise. Though I can't say I like most of it once the vocals start (similar to the other guy a few pages back, for me, the death grunts, raspy voice screaming has to pretty much be absent), the non vocals are pretty amazing for most of the bands and since the thread does pretty much cover the entire metal spectrum it probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that any reader could find at least one band/subgenre they enjoy.

Ditto on everything in here. Though I'd already crossed the death growl hurdle when I started visiting this thread. But as has been said, it's a process. I really hated it at first, so I just listened to Opeth's clean songs, but after a week or two of "forcing" myself through Still Life despite the vocals (I loved the music), it's never really been a problem for me. And these days I really love a good growl.

That said, I'm pretty picky about my vocalists, there are a lot out there who lack finesse to their growls/screams.

I'd recommend checking out bands with mixed vocals (like Opeth, Agalloch, Arcturus, Borknagar) and just appreciating the instrumental aspects for now. In no time you'll appreciate the growl and after that you've unlocked a new world of music.

And on a side note. Taake's Nattestid Ser Porten Vid might just be the best Black Metal album I've heard in months. Awesomeness. Recommend it to everyone who likes tight, ambitious without being symphonic black metal.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Shrike_Priest said:
And on a side note. Taake's Nattestid Ser Porten Vid might just be the best Black Metal album I've heard in months. Awesomeness. Recommend it to everyone who likes tight, ambitious without being symphonic black metal.

Indeed, although Bjoergvin remains their best work.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Sandman42 said:
I hope Quo Vadis comes out with something new this year. Day Into Night is still one of my all time favourite albums.

Without Yanic Bercier I'm kinda sceptical about them. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

And Forever > Day Into Night imo. It's an incredibly dark album compared to the "conventional" nature of Day Into Night.

Well, you were right about Bjoergvin
Taake+-+Over+Bjoergvin+Graater+Himmerik+(2002).jpg

Awesome album. Great riffs, great melodies, genius drumming.

Doedskvad was a slight disappointment in comparison.

The Meads of Asphodel, coming up.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Shrike_Priest said:
Well, you were right about Bjoergvin
Taake+-+Over+Bjoergvin+Graater+Himmerik+(2002).jpg

Awesome album. Great riffs, great melodies, genius drumming.

Doedskvad was a slight disappointment in comparison.

The Meads of Asphodel, coming up.

Awesome. Probably the best Meads album to start with is Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua.

Ceres

Banned
Kind of off topic but the local venue that had previously been the "metal" venue burned to the ground last night :(
It'd already been closed down for about 3 years now when the previous owners decided to sell it. It was bought by a local couple who did some renovations but never reopned it and eventually sold it only a few weeks ago. The electricity was turned off so the police are pretty suspicious of it being arson.

Ever since it closed, I've noticed a huge drop in good metal shows in the area. It was a shit venue but it was still the best place for metal bands in the area. Opeth w/ Nevermore and Into Eternity was the last show I saw there.

The Devil You Know is pretty good.

Pretty funny how good Dio's vocals are compared to the efforts of Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson on their respective newest albums.

JimmyV

Banned
Daddy'sGun said:
I saw Anal Cunt a couple days ago and have a new found lack of respect for them

Anal_Cunt-Seth-Sig-jpg.jpg

I always enjoyed that one band they did an album with, Raunchus Brothers or something?(the spelling is off). Its some of the most racist/skin headed stuff I've ever heard, but I cant stop listening!

Magnus

Just saw Tarja live in Toronto; first time I've seen her live. Like a fucking angel took over the stage, what presence and grace. Fantastic show.

duffey

So I was just hopping around a couple of metal news sites recently and I saw Fear Factory had gotten back together. I had no idea they broke up to begin with but it looks like Dino is back with them but the biggest casualty was Raymond Herrera who isn't the drummer anymore. Makes me sad, he was perfect for them!

So they replaced him with Gene Hoglan who is in every band ever. Hopefully whatever they put out is better than Transgression. That album is pretty terrible.

Also anyone who hasn't checked out Ulcerate's new album yet should. It's really good tech-ish death. Parts of the album makes me feel like they've been listening to a LOT of Gorguts' Obscura but I don't really know if that's a bad thing.

Sandman42

fistfulofmetal said:
The Devil You Know is pretty good.

Pretty funny how good Dio's vocals are compared to the efforts of Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson on their respective newest albums.
It's pretty incredible that Dio can still belt it out at 66 years old. It's a pretty kick ass record.

couple of undiscovered gems I've been recently listening to:

Creepmime - "Shadows"
Timeghoul - demos

Creepmime were early 90's Dutch death metal that has a very heavy metal vibe to it, produced by Patrick Mameli of Pestilence.

Timeghoul were super epic death metal from the early 90's that never made it big. Sounds like early Incantation/Malevolent Creation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbAQRMG4zE

WinFonda

I've recently been turned onto this mostly European style of music - soft, smooth vocals with soaring and epic rock instrumentation.

I don't have many examples to offer, I really like Lunatica or Within Temptation though.

Ceres

Banned
WinFonda said:
I've recently been turned onto this mostly European style of music - soft, smooth vocals with soaring and epic rock instrumentation.

I don't have many examples to offer, I really like Lunatica or Within Temptation though.

I can help you here. I donated to one of Lunatica's albums so they could self produce it :)

all female vocals because of your two examples:
Delain - April Rain is the latest. First album is pretty good too. Similar to early Within Temptation and features guest vocals by Sharon on the first album.
Xandria - pretty similar songs and themes as Within Temptation
The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet? and their last live dvd A Noise Severe is fantastic too
Lacuna Coil - stick to the early stuff. S/T EP, In a Reverie, Halflife EP, Unleashed Memories
Tristania - Ashes & Illumination.
Sirenia - check out the latest two disks. Not a fan of the new stuff but the previous stuff had very operatic vocals. The song writer left Tristania and the early stuff is pretty much a continuation of the older Tristania sound except very boring because the guy can't write more than one song.
Stream Of Passion - From the guy behind Ayreon which is another project to check out if you haven't heard of it. Only one album to check out but also a live dvd that features some stuff from Ayreon too.
Octavia Sperati - only two disks. Not the sweeping epic music you're looking for really.

Also, I personally HATE this band bu it's the epitome of soft smooth vocals since that's just the way Liv Kristine sings:
Leaves' Eyes
Maybe also check out Theatre of Tragedy which was her previous band

female vocals but on the operatic side of singing:
After Forever - S/T is the latest which is a fantastic album. Sadly, the band broke up only a few months ago.
Epica - Consign to Oblivion is the album I'd go with. Honestly not a big fan of the other two
Nightwish - Wishmaster & Century Child
Aesma Daeva
Visions of Atlantis
Edenbridge

friend just called me and told me he ran into the guys from ANVIL @ a Ben & Jerry's in downtown San Jose :lol

He wouldn't have recognized them if he didn't see the documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Any recommendations for some death metal? I'm not that into the genre because I haven't heard much but here's what I have.

Death
Atheist
Cynic
Behemoth
Morbid Angel
Septic Flesh (only Communion though)
Torture Squad (Kinda thrashy though)
Bloodbath
Cannibal Corpse

Pretty entry level I'd say. Not that into the tech-wankery stuff that I've heard.

NameGenerated said:
Any recommendations for some death metal? I'm not that into the genre because I haven't heard much but here's what I have.

Death
Atheist
Cynic
Behemoth
Morbid Angel
Bloodbath
Cannibal Corpse

Pretty entry level I'd say. Not that into the tech-wankery stuff that I've heard.

lesson in early cream of the crop Swedish death metal:
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream, Pieces, Indecent & Obscene
Entombed- Left Hand Path, Clandestine
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Unleashed- Where No Life Dwells, Shadows In The Deep
Grave - Into The Grave, ...And You'll Never See
Edge of Sanity- The Spectral Sorrows, Crimson

and some other classic American death metal:
Autopsy - Severed Survival, Mental Funeral
Obituary - Cause Of Death
Deicide - Deicide, Legion (not my favorite, but you cant discount them)
Macabre - Sinister Slaughter
Monstrosity - Imperial Doom
Master - Master, On The Seventh Day....God Created Master

other miscellaneous stuff:
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness, Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious, Heartwork (pretty essential stuff ;) )
Pestilence - Consvming Impvlse, Malleus Malifecarum
Paradise Lost - Gothic
Asphyx - The Rack, Last One On Earth
Amorphis - Black Winter Day, Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Arghoslent - Aresenal of Glory, Incorrigible Bigotry, Hornets of the Pogrom (my absolute favorite band for the last 7 or so years)

EDIT: forgot to add
Bolt Thrower - Warmaster, IVth Crusade. (groovy headbanging stuff and no other band has done something similar)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Wow, thanks. Listening to some previews of the artists on Amazon in there that I've heard of and went ahead and ordered the Obituary album. Sounds like early Death, which is great.

So many albums to get...whenever I get my wish list down to 2 or 3 left I end up adding 4 or 5 more. It's a never ending cycle of music.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
NameGenerated said:

Death
Atheist
Cynic
Behemoth
Morbid Angel
Bloodbath
Cannibal Corpse

Depresy - A Grand Magnificence
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Massacre - From Beyond
Necrophobic - Bloodhyms
Amon Amarth - Versus the World
Six Feet Under - Haunted
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Napalm Death - Diatribes
Carcass - Heartwork
Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow
Dan Swano - Moontower
Autopsy - Severed Survival

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Saw Mastodon last night. I mostly went for Intronaut and Kylesa, and the fact that the show was at a new venue (House of Blues) in Boston that I wanted to check out. Both openers were great, although I was bummed that Intronaut didn't play "Any Port" — and the new Kylesa record is great, so it was nice to see those songs played live.

Mastodon put on a solid show, as usual. They played the new record in its entirety first, and then older stuff — 4-5 songs from Blood Mountain, 2-3 from Leviathan (I recall "Seabeast" and "Megalodon"), and "March of the Fire Ants" from Remission. I didn't mind that they played the new record from start to finish, since I actually liked it a lot more than BM. I was pretty surprised that they didn't play "Blood and Thunder" — I don't even like that song very much, but it seems like it'd be a staple for them.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I am looking for something different in the metal genre at the moment

Either soft with mild screaming (eg: Dir en Grey - The Final)

Or else something similar to either

Bullet for my Valentine (the new album, didn't like the first)

or

From Autumn to Ashes (Holding a Wolf By The Ears is the only one I like, you can understand what he screams)

Any ideas GAF?

Giant Robot said:
Entombed- Left Hand Path, Clandestine
Edge of Sanity- The Spectral Sorrows, Crimson
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness, Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious, Heartwork (pretty essential stuff ;) )
Paradise Lost - Gothic
Amorphis - Black Winter Day, Tales From The Thousand Lakes
THESE are so fucking good.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:
How are you gonna recommend Pieces over The God That Never Was, one of the best comeback albums ever?

Flynn

Have we discussed Anvil in here yet? My friend who saw the documentary swears the band is fake. I can't say I've ever heard of them.

Phobophile said:
How are you gonna recommend Pieces over The God That Never Was, one of the best comeback albums ever?

cause i listed early Stockholm, Swedish death metal :p

God That Never Was was good, but Pieces was just a short sweet EP that deserves high rank just for the title track alone and the extreme clean buzzsaw guitar tone, imo.

Flynn said:
Have we discussed Anvil in here yet? My friend who saw the documentary swears the band is fake. I can't say I've ever heard of them.

Oh they're real alright. I had "Metal on Metal", "Forged in Fire" and "Hard'N'Heavy" back in the 80s. "Metal on Metal" is their signature metal anthem song. They were part of the crappy Canadian metal movement in the early 80s - Raven, Anvil, April Wine, Helix.

Some say that Metallica's logo and album art on Kill 'Em All was obviously inspired by "Hard 'N' Heavy"

Flynn

teruterubozu said:
Oh they're real alright. I had "Metal on Metal", "Forged in Fire" and "Hard'N'Heavy" back in the 80s. "Metal on Metal" is their signature metal anthem song. They were part of the crappy Canadian metal movement in the early 80s - Raven, Anvil, April Wine, Helix.

Some say that Metallica's logo and album art on Kill 'Em All was obviously inspired by "Hard 'N' Heavy"

Good to hear. It's strange how little presence they've had on the Internet. Their Wikipedia page is suspiciously new.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So, anybody want to suggest some new or recent doom, sludge or stoner that's worth checking out? Only thing I've heard in several months is Dark Castle's Spirited Migration...

Ceres

Banned
I can't recall if anyone said they'd be attending Chicago Powerfest. I know there's a handful of you from that area..
If so, what do you think of the Cycle of Pain drama? Seems to me like DeServio is a fucking bitch and used his pull as bassist for Black Label Society to get his own band the 8:30 slot in front of Dope from their original 6:00 slot. A lot of people traveling just for Kiuas missed some/most of their set which originally had that 8:30 slot and was moved to sometime between 7 and 7:30.

Just came back from a Metallica concert (well, it was yesterday). They played Leper Messiah and Dyers Eve...and of course many others :D Machine Head was good as well but they got some bad sound settings (still had a good show, though!). I completely missed the Sword. :lol

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Cosmic Bus said:
So, anybody want to suggest some new or recent doom, sludge or stoner that's worth checking out? Only thing I've heard in several months is Dark Castle's Spirited Migration...
Jex Thoth. Pentagram and Saint Vitus meet Jefferson Airplane. The chick on vox is even reminiscent of Grace Slick. Not surprising, considering Jex is from San Francisco.

NameGenerated said:
DYERS EVE?! Oh god I hope they play it at my show. Did Lars do the double bass?
I don't know, sadly :lol I really tried to carefully listen/watch but the corner I stood in went absolutely wild and the sound was hammering anyway :D I tried to watch closely but I didn't get a chance. However, it was loud and fast, doublebass or not ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKZ-Hqn9BE I found a little video on youtube. I don't hear doublebass but who cares :)

I searched the net for the setlist an this should be accurate:

That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Leper Messiah
The Memory Remains
One
Broken, Beat And Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes