• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

thefit said:
Anyone headed to the Morbid Angel gig next week here in LA?

Gah. I'm moving back to LA in a couple weeks. Will miss that show. Thinking about checking out Dark Castle at Mountain Bar June 20.

Sandman42

I'm really getting into Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend. That man is a fucking genius.

What are you favourite Townsend albums? I think Accelerated Evolution is pretty awesome.

Ravager61

Sandman42 said:
I'm really getting into Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend. That man is a fucking genius.

What are you favourite Townsend albums? I think Accelerated Evolution is pretty awesome.

Personally I like Terria the best but I think i'm in the minority there. City is by far the best SYL album.

yacobod

Banned
saw testament last night at the chicago HOB, stupid ppl voted for the wrong set list, would have been a lot better if ppl voted for option A = The Legacy in its entirety + GH

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Sandman42 said:

Biomech, Infinity, Terria

City, Alien

yacobod said:
saw testament last night at the chicago HOB, stupid ppl voted for the wrong set list, would have been a lot better if ppl voted for option A = The Legacy in its entirety + GH
What is the setlist? I might go see them in about a week.

Edit: Actually I see it's each city, I want A though, The Legacy is by far their best.

Edit 2: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUU, A only has 8% in my city, C has 52%. :lol

Edit 3: Actually all the cities have the same percentage, what's is up with that?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Sandman42 said:

In order:

Accelerated Evolution
City
Biomech
Infinity
Terria
Synchestra
Ziltoid
Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing
Physicist
Alien
The New Black
SYL

Haruspex

Banned
For anyone interested maudlin of the Well have just made available their fan-funded album Part the Second, free for download. Its more serene than their previous work but still as ethereal and hazy. http://www.maudlinofthewell.net/

It will also be followed by a new Kayo Dot album later in the year.

OmegaErock

Neo Member
Sandman42 said:

Looks like I'm in the minority for liking SYL's self titled. :/

SYL

Alien
SYL
City
The New Black
Heavy as a Real Thing

Devin Townsend

Biomech/Ocean Machine
Accelerated Evolution
Terria
Infinity
Synchestra
Ziltoid
(Haven't really listened to Physicist so can't rank it)

Yeah I like SYL's self-titled the best too - Aftermath FTW!

Accelerated Evo is his most accomplished, well-rounded album.

Not so sure about Ki right now...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Haruspex said:
For anyone interested maudlin of the Well have just made available their fan-funded album Part the Second, free for download. Its more serene than their previous work but still as ethereal and hazy. http://www.maudlinofthewell.net/

It will also be followed by a new Kayo Dot album later in the year.
I absolutely love the new album. For something that I was expecting to just sound like old demos and stuff re-worked, it really blew me away — it sounds like a full-fledged fourth LP. It doesn't match up to Bath/LYBM for me (an impossible task), but it's still very, very good.

I'm also seeing Kayo Dot next week, so it'll be nice to hear the new material live. From what I've heard, it's a lot different than BLD. Wolves in the Throne Room, Krallice and A Storm of Light show is also this week — fucking psyched for it!

yacobod

Banned
NameGenerated said:
What is the setlist? I might go see them in about a week.

Edit: Actually I see it's each city, I want A though, The Legacy is by far their best.

Edit 2: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUU, A only has 8% in my city, C has 52%. :lol

Edit 3: Actually all the cities have the same percentage, what's is up with that?

ya the legacy is their best by far, but even option B would be a lot better than option C, the new order is pretty damn good as well, but option C kinda sucked

was still a cool show tho, first time i've seen testament in over 10 years

Haruspex said:
Also worth mentioning, the masterful 'prog-hardcore' band Zeni Geva are back with Yoshida Tatsuya (of Ruins) on drums and vocals, KK Null on guitar and vocs and Mitsuri Tabata on guitar. http://www.myspace.com/zenigeva

Desire_For_Agony.jpg

One of my favorite albums ever!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
yacobod said:
ya the legacy is their best by far, but even option B would be a lot better than option C, the new order is pretty damn good as well, but option C kinda sucked

was still a cool show tho, first time i've seen testament in over 10 years
I just don't like how they turned from an awesome thrash band into some groove band with Chuck Billy acting like a wannabe death metal vocalist. I don't really want to hear anything off of Low, Demonic, or The Gathering. I'll probably still go though. I think their new album, save for a few songs, is pretty good.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
vatstep said:
I absolutely love the new album. For something that I was expecting to just sound like old demos and stuff re-worked, it really blew me away — it sounds like a full-fledged fourth LP. It doesn't match up to Bath/LYBM for me (an impossible task), but it's still very, very good.

I'm also seeing Kayo Dot next week, so it'll be nice to hear the new material live. From what I've heard, it's a lot different than BLD. Wolves in the Throne Room, Krallice and A Storm of Light show is also this week — fucking psyched for it!
I think the new motW is just entirely bland. It wanders aimlessly with no absolution whatsoever. It's a mediocre compromise between the good of old motW and the crap of Kayo Dot.

I saw Wolves in the Throne Room/A Storm of Light/Krallice/Indian last night at Bottom Lounge in Chicago. Indian was good. I like one of their albums and they sound like a less psychedelic Iron Monkey. Krallice was the best band there, and the main reason I went. In spite of sound checking for 20 minutes longer than everyone, trying to get the perfect mix in the monitors they never got, they put on a great performance. The bass and second guitarist weren't mixed high enough, but they played all new songs! A Storm of Light wasn't bad. They played good Cult of Luna-esque modern sludge but holy fuck if the band members weren't dull as hell. Almost all of them looked completely blasé, especially the woman singing. The bassist was the only enthusiastic one there. Wolves in the Throne Room were good. They got a bassist, which is weird. I didn't recognize the first four tracks they played; I'm guessing they're from Two Hunters and other stuff. I recognized the last two tracks they played from Diadem, but that's about it, since that's the only album of theirs I like.

I'll upload some pictures as soon as I get back home.

Flynn

Phobophile said:
I think the new motW is just entirely bland. It wanders aimlessly with no absolution whatsoever. It's a mediocre compromise between the good of old motW and the crap of Kayo Dot.

I saw Wolves in the Throne Room/A Storm of Light/Krallice/Indian last night at Bottom Lounge in Chicago. Indian was good. I like one of their albums and they sound like a less psychedelic Iron Monkey. Krallice was the best band there, and the main reason I went. In spite of sound checking for 20 minutes longer than everyone, trying to get the perfect mix in the monitors they never got, they put on a great performance. The bass and second guitarist weren't mixed high enough, but they played all new songs! A Storm of Light wasn't bad. They played good Cult of Luna-esque modern sludge but holy fuck if the band members weren't dull as hell. Almost all of them looked completely blasé, especially the woman singing. The bassist was the only enthusiastic one there. Wolves in the Throne Room were good. They got a bassist, which is weird. I didn't recognize the first four tracks they played; I'm guessing they're from Two Hunters and other stuff. I recognized the last two tracks they played from Diadem, but that's about it, since that's the only album of theirs I like.

I'll upload some pictures as soon as I get back home.

Krallice are so fucking technical and clean live. I was surprised, to be honest, they could reproduce the album sound so faithfully in a club. I'd love to see WiTR again as well.

What don't you like about Two Hunters? That's the record that got me into them.

Phobophile

Flynn said:
What don't you like about Two Hunters? That's the record that got me into them.
It's a solid album, it's just more boring than Diadem. Their subsequent EP is completely boring and I consequently lost interest in them. I didn't even know that they put out a new LP this year until I was writing a review for this concert on another forum and looked up when they added a new bassist on the Metal-Archives. I gotta check that out and see if it's any good.

Anyway, here are a few samples of the shots I took at the show. Please feel free to check out the rest of my best shots on my last.fm journal entry linked here: http://www.last.fm/user/Phobophile/...an_@_bottom_lounge,_chicago,_il_-_16_may_2009

Indian:
3541658574_e3e7e41257.jpg

Krallice:
3540879105_5b3286387f.jpg

A Storm of Light:
3540915661_61544fcef0.jpg

Wolves in the Throne Room:
3541745140_2154e9a9c4.jpg

duffey

Has anyone picked up the new Ulcerate album yet? If you haven't, you should. It's called Everything is Fire (kinda dumb name, I know) and it's probably one of the most nihilistic and bleak albums that I've listened to in the last few years. Reminds me of Obscura-era Gorguts as well but with a few other influences. Probably going to top my end of the year list too, so awesome.

My apologies if someone else has talked about it before.

Flynn said:

"
If nothing else, this is a good time for the film. Black metal, truly underground when things went bad between Vikernes and Euronymous, was still under the radar when Lords was initially published. The book was the beginning of a wave of media attention that has brought the genre as close to mainstream as it's going to get. At this point, if I heard Wolves in the Throne Room in a Prius commercial, I wouldn't be surprised.
"

:lol :lol

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
"
If nothing else, this is a good time for the film. Black metal, truly underground when things went bad between Vikernes and Euronymous, was still under the radar when Lords was initially published. The book was the beginning of a wave of media attention that has brought the genre as close to mainstream as it's going to get. At this point, if I heard Wolves in the Throne Room in a Prius commercial, I wouldn't be surprised.
"

:lol :lol

That joke was for all 200 of us.

Alivor

Well, today I heard of the awesome Sabaton. For those that don't know, they're a Swedish power metal band that sings about WWI/WWII battles. So awesome. This song (Primo Victoria) is about D-Day. Primo Victoria

Phobophile

2230721eae5.jpg

I'm really fucking late to the party, but I just gave Candlemass' newest, Death Magic Doom a spin like 4-5 days ago and I seriously regret not having listened to this earlier. I expected a crappy, modern doom fest, paling in comparison to earlier works but instead I got an album that surpasses Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.

I was a bit confused though, when I first heard the album opener, If I Ever Die, because it's practically speed metal (played at 75% normal speed metal speed), way too fast for Candlemass, but damn, it set up the rest of the album perfectly.

Blackheim

Zeke said:
I'm into bands like Candlemass, SepticFlesh, and Old Man's Child can guys give me some recommendations?

Newer Candlemass? Solitude Aeturnus' Into the Depths of Sorrow, Beyond the Crimson Horizon and Alone.

Ravager61

Zeke said:
I'm into bands like Candlemass, SepticFlesh, and Old Man's Child can guys give me some recommendations?

Those bands are all quite different. Ill give some recs based on each one.

Candlemass (Doom):
Warning - Watching from a Distance
Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour
Solstice - New Dark Age
Revelation - Release

Old Man's Child (Melodic Black Metal):
Dissection - The Somberlain
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
Abigor - Nachthymnen (from the twilight kingdom)
Ulver - Bergtatt

SepticFlesh (Epic death metal i guess?):
Amorphis - Karelian Isthmus, Silent Waters
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Mithras - Beyond the Shadows Lie Madness

These are mostly off the top of my head. Probably lots of other good recs for you im forgetting. These should get you started.

Zeke

good recommendation I'm really digging Solitude Aeturnus'. Yea I wanted to kind of spread it out and get some recommendations for a few types of metal instead of a long list of Doom or Melodic. Thanks guys gonna be looking thro all these bands on youtube.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
Candlemass (Doom):
Warning - Watching from a Distance
Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour
Solstice - New Dark Age
Revelation - Release
To expand on this list:

Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
Hour of 13 - Hour of 13
Procession - The Cult of Disease (new 2009 Chilean traditional doom album, highly recommended to everyone)
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth
Fall of the Idols - The Séance

Blackheim

Phobophile said:
To expand on this list:
Pentagram - Be Forewarned would fit nicely in there. Wolf's Blood from that album.
Trouble - Trouble probably would be at home there too. Psychotic Reaction

Also Zeke, you might be interested in these as well:

Amorphis was mentioned above and I'd throw in Tales from the Thousand Lakes too. Here's Black Winter Day from that album.

Sentenced - North from Here (reissue w/The Trooper EP): Desert by Night from that.

JimmyV

Banned
For anyone who's interested, Metallica is FINALLY officially playing Trapped Under Ice, that song they've NEVER played live sans 2 times, which where fan requested so it was all butchered and shit.

Trapped Under Ice

I've always loved this song so it got me all tingly inside

Nice. :) They played Dyers Eve at my concert, that was cool, too. Tomorrow I'm going to see Iommi, Dio, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice (Heaven and Hell or Black Sabbath with Dio or whatever you want to call them). :O I'm nervous already. :lol

Flynn

cwmartin said:
genre blahnre. There's no hardcore or "metalcore" or "post-hardcore" thread, so I figured it fit regardless. Great CD regardless of genre.

Have you heard that metal band Sex and the City? I heard they're awesome too.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
What does everyone think of the new Cynic?

I listened to some samples and I find that the vocals annoy the shit out of me. I wonder if they grow on you after a while?

cwmartin said:
anyone pick up or listen to the new Devil Wears Prada? Debuted at around 13 or so on the billboard charts so grats to those guys, is a terrific album imo as well.

The Devil Wears Prada
With Roots Above and Branches Below

the-devil-wears-prada-with-roots-above-and-branches-below1.jpg

This one is my favorite if anyone wants to try and get started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmOWbNeqL-U

This youtube link seems a bit...rough. Is this off their CD? Sounds like a demo to me. I like it besides the emo shit at 1:10

Guts Of Thor said:

I listened to some samples and I find that the vocals annoy the shit out of me. I wonder if they grow on you after a while?

They're definitely a lot more subtle than the ones on Focus, I think they blend very well with the music. Also, some songs have more distortion on the vocals than others. I got used to them pretty quick, and the contrast between Paul's and Tymons vocals are great.

It's one of my favourite albums of 08, and it's definitely worth it. Reinert's work in particular is masterly.

I would have liked a few heavier Uroboric Forms-type songs, but I'm definitely satisfied with what we've got.

I can't wait till their follow up. Hope it doesn't take 15 years this time :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Guts Of Thor said:

I've always loved the vocal effects. I like the new album — much more than I thought I would — but still prefer Focus.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i went through some of the stuff recommended earlier in the thread and I really like:

Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream

Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter

Amon Amarth

In Flames

Alcest (not really metal, but whatever)

I don't know shit about metal, but I always liked shit like Iron Maiden when I heard it, but I think I got turned off from metal by that Pantera bullshit that happened in the 90's. Someone recommend me some awesome metal that someone who likes the bands/albums I listed would also like. Whoops, time for me to become a metalhead.

Ravager61

Timedog said:
i went through some of the stuff recommended earlier in the thread and I really like:

Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream

Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter

Amon Amarth

In Flames

Alcest (not really metal, but whatever)

I don't know shit about metal, but I always liked shit like Iron Maiden when I heard it, but I think I got turned off from metal by that Pantera bullshit that happened in the 90's. Someone recommend me some awesome metal that someone who likes the bands/albums I listed would also like. Whoops, time for me to become a metalhead.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

listen and be blown away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom