• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rObit

Banned
Its not the 'Tim Lambesis Band', so dont feel bad. There's other members who are perfectly decent(that we can assume) and for me, provided the actual bulk of the music for our enjoyment. I actually feel very bad for them.

I feel the same way. Hope everything turns out okay for them, regardless of how the case against Tim goes.

I'm so pissed at myself for buying this scumbag's new album. I can't even listen to this shit anymore, after what this guy's done. I could have spent that $10 on a worthier band.

Don't feel too bad, I've bought like 6 shirts from his clothing company. Oops.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I feel the same way. Hope everything turns out okay for them, regardless of how the case against Tim goes.

Don't feel too bad, I've bought like 6 shirts from his clothing company. Oops.

Yeah, but I still think that AILD is gonna just implode and end though. Nothing against the other guys, but they're gonna have an uphill battle on their hands. ADM is totally fucked either way.

The main takeaway from this Lambesis incident is that apparently $1,000 is an acceptable rate for hiring an assassin? That is cheap as hell, all things considered.

I don't understand what his defense attorney is implying though when he calls it a "scumbag snitch setup". If the hitman Lambesis was talking to was actually an undercover agent, it seems pretty cut and dry. How is it even possible for there to be entrapment in a situation like that?

Have we dont favorite vocalist/frontman yet?

The top 3 that I really like that come to my head first:

Kind Diamond
Chuck Billy
James Hetfield

Bruce Dickinson (Maiden)
Martin Van Drunen (Pestilence, Asphyx, Hail of Bullets)
King Diamond
John Tardy (Obituary)
Martin Walkyier (Sabbat)
Don Doty (Dark Angel - Darkness Descends album)

The whole John Tardy thing is interesting because he improvises all his stuff, not to mention how awesome he sounds on the early Obituary albums.

Martin Walkyier more for his venomous approach and lyric writing.

Don Doty was the best thrash vocalist in 1986, wish he did more albums :(

Melchiah

Have we dont favorite vocalist/frontman yet?

The top 3 that I really like that come to my head first:

Kind Diamond
Chuck Billy
James Hetfield

Going by a combination of voice, persona & presence.

Dead (Morbid, Mayhem)
Attila (Tormentor, Mayhem, Sunn O))), Void ov Voices)
Gaahl (Trelldom, Gorgoroth, Gaahlskagg, Wardruna)

A honorable mention...
Mike Patton (Fantomas, I don't care about the rest)

A few weeks ago, I went to see a showing of Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari (AKA The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari), a German horror movie from 1920, which was accompanied by Attila's Void ov Voices. His performance fitted the mood of the movie perfectly.

Pics from the event:
http://sagittarm.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/attila-csihar-void-ov-voice-helsinki-korjaamo/

A honorable mention...
Mike Patton (Fantomas, I don't care about the rest)

A few weeks ago, I went to see a showing of Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari (AKA The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari), a German horror movie from 1920, which was accompanied by Attila's Void ov Voices. His performance fitted the mood of the movie perfectly.

Pics from the event:
http://sagittarm.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/attila-csihar-void-ov-voice-helsinki-korjaamo/

you should care about the rest though. he does some awesome stuff here and there.
fun fact: I actually also saw csihar a couple of weeks ago, he was the support act for bohren und der club of gore....whooo also did a track with mike patton, which is pretty amazing imo
very twin peaks-esque.
oh and also great movie you went to see! the time when german films used to be good haha.

Melchiah

you should care about the rest though. he does some awesome stuff here and there.
fun fact: I actually also saw csihar a couple of weeks ago, he was the support act for bohren und der club of gore....whooo also did a track with mike patton, which is pretty amazing imo
very twin peaks-esque.
oh and also great movie you went to see! the time when german films used to be good haha.

Damn, I didn't know Patton (or Attila) had collaborated with Bohren & der Club of Gore, which is one of my favorite bands. I do know about his collaborations with John Zorn/Naked City, but I've never really cared about Mr. Bungle or Faith No More. Especially his nasal singing style in the latter annoys me to no end, and I can't say that I'd enjoy the music either.

Reading though a Wikipedia page about him managed to surprise me; I knew he made zombie voices for Left 4 Dead, but I didn't know he also provided voices for the monsters in I Am Legend. A man of many talents.

Holy shit. This sounds awesome.

It was. His performance followed the events and moods in the movie, at times whispering the texts displayed on the screen.

I wish I could have seen the showing of the Swedish horror film from 1922, Häxan - Witchcraft Through the Ages, when it was accompanied by a classical orchestra a few years ago. =/

Flynn

I really dig the Patton/Kaada collaboration -- though it might be kind of mellow for your tastes.

I have long admired him for his versatility (was a big fan of FNM and Bungle back in the day). If he wanted to he could have been an rich R&B star. I am super glad he didn't. But, man, when the guy sings traditionally he really kills it. That Mondo Cane record of Italian covers is proof that he can play it straight.

I saw Agalloch this weekend. Im a big fan but hadnt seen them live before. Good thing I have now, cause the concert was amazing. Superb all around. Few nitpicks, I'd preferred that they skipped non album tracks in favour of some more of Pale folklore/the mantle. And Our Fortress is burning II wasnt too pleasant for my ears.

Fen also played. It was nice, they had some sound issues. Nothing compared to Agalloch though

RDreamer

I saw Agalloch this weekend. Im a big fan but hadnt seen them live before. Good thing I have now, cause the concert was amazing. Superb all around. Few nitpicks, I'd preferred that they skipped non album tracks in favour of some more of Pale folklore/the mantle. And Our Fortress is burning II wasnt too pleasant for my ears.

Fen also played. It was nice, they had some sound issues. Nothing compared to Agalloch though

I'm still kicking myself for not seeing them when I had a chance. They played a tiny venue literally just a few blocks from where I lived at the time. I didn't ask off for work in time, though.

Melchiah

I really dig the Patton/Kaada collaboration -- though it might be kind of mellow for your tastes.

I have long admired him for his versatility (was a big fan of FNM and Bungle back in the day). If he wanted to he could have been an rich R&B star. I am super glad he didn't. But, man, when the guy sings traditionally he really kills it. That Mondo Cane record of Italian covers is proof that he can play it straight.

I listened to a couple of Patton/Kaada tracks on YouTube, but they're not really to my taste, although I do listen to a more mellow music as well. Actually, I listen metal quite little nowadays.

My favorite of his works is definitely The Director's Cut. I love songs like Spider Baby and Der Golem on the album.

Flynn

I listened to a couple of Patton/Kaada tracks on YouTube, but they're not really to my taste, although I do listen to a more mellow music as well. Actually, I listen metal quite little nowadays.

My favorite of his works is definitely The Director's Cut. I love songs like Spider Baby and Der Golem on the album.

Oh, yeah. The Director's Cut is easily my favorite Fantomas record too -- his love for soundtracks really comes through. You might be interested in Crime and Dissonance -- it is a collection of offbeat Ennio Morricone soundtrack work compiled and released on Patton's label Ipecac.

Just got back from the Decibel tour stop in San Antonio. Immolation were rad as fuck like usual, with an unfortunately short set, Napalm Death was great but had some sound issues here and there, and Cannibal Corpse was the same as any other time anyone else saw them but still fun. I picked up the new Immolation album while I was there too and I'll give that a listen when my hearing mostly returns.

Melchiah

Oh, yeah. The Director's Cut is easily my favorite Fantomas record too -- his love for soundtracks really comes through. You might be interested in Crime and Dissonance -- it is a collection of offbeat Ennio Morricone soundtrack work compiled and released on Patton's label Ipecac.

I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gaspode_T

Metal snobbery has no place in this world. Metal and hard rock and whatever the hell you listen to that is loud fans need to stick together and keep the genre as a whole healthy.

Ozzfest Japan impressions!

What an awesome 2 days - lots of genres, lots of mindfreak going on as one genre bumps into another genre. A lot of Japanese bands, a lot of the younger bands mixing in dubstep and breakdowns so much they literally are playing the same phrases. However the unique thing about many of the Japanese bands are that the music tends to make people want to just move around and feel happy and/or aggressive at the same time, it is a little closer to punk in that way.

Slipknot was amazing - Tool was amazing - Black Sabbath was amazing .. these three bands made it worth it easily by themselves.

<not linking to Youtube videos because all too low quality>

Standout Japanese bands...

AAEqual - former member of Mad Capsule Markets new gig - industrial! Industrial is awesome! Dude looks like straight out of the beastie boys singing. Were pretty cool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tiPkoT8JC4)

Coldrain - Very tight performance, these guys have talent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbALa9CVgA)

Man with a Mission - These guys know how to energize a crowd...maybe better than any other band there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v59KwX32rg8 (this song is strangely catchy)

Maximum the Hormone - The female drummer was having some sort of comedy session in between songs, insane mosh pit during their set http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOVYkRCEg_8

I felt frustrated that some foreign folks were bad mouthing Dir En Grey, who were playing amazingly technical and insanely death metal stuff, so far out that it was causing them cognitive dissonance.

Lastly...the much hyped appearance of idol band Momoiro Clover, I can say one thing these girls have more talent than AKB48, their fans were kind of creepy, and somehow withstood the mass of metal fans to capture most of the front row positions (hardcore! respect!) Video will probably be taken down but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFcQmRzB50M

Melchiah

Metal snobbery has no place in this world. Metal and hard rock and whatever the hell you listen to that is loud fans need to stick together and keep the genre as a whole healthy.

I felt frustrated that some foreign folks were bad mouthing Dir En Grey, who were playing amazingly technical and insanely death metal stuff, so far out that it was causing them cognitive dissonance.

Perhaps they just didn't like the music. The bigger festivals often feature a wide variety of genres to appease a larger crowd. There's bound to be something that's not to everyone's taste, and it has nothing to do with being a "metal snob".

I'm going to a local festival in the summer, and there's only a handful of bands I'm interested in, which is completely fine by me. I can concentrate on chatting and drinking with friends when there's nothing interesting on the stage. ;)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
If you're a fan of Gru, Intervals, Widek or the like, you need to check this man out:

http://sithuayemusic.bandcamp.com

501326869-1.jpg

Really great guitar work, goddamn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom