• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Pretty good stuff. I listened a few times now and I dig it. I feel it could use just a tiny extra oomph in a few parts there. I like the singer, but a growl or something just to spice things up even just a couple times on the album would do wonders. A guitar solo or something would help, too.

As is, though, it's still rather good. I've been flipping between it and the new Dillinger Escape Plan.

Greg

Pretty good stuff. I listened a few times now and I dig it. I feel it could use just a tiny extra oomph in a few parts there. I like the singer, but a growl or something just to spice things up even just a couple times on the album would do wonders. A guitar solo or something would help, too.

As is, though, it's still rather good. I've been flipping between it and the new Dillinger Escape Plan.
yeah, I feel the same way - the occasional scream was great in the debut

they could've toned back the atmosphere at times to let in something memorable

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I wouldn't have minded harsh vocals, but I'm totally fine with them going 100% clean. I think it fits their sound really well, but I also am happy they went more atmospheric too, I like that about their sound. Some of these vocal patterns are delicious. The saxophones were cool touches, too.

RDreamer

I would've have minded harsh vocals, but I'm totally fine with them going 100% clean. I think it fits their sound really well, but I also am happy they went more atmospheric too, I like that about their sound. Some of these vocal patterns are delicious. The saxophones were cool touches, too.

Yeah, I don't necessarily need them to go harsh or anything. I don't mind full on clean vocals. It's just I feel that it was missing a moment or two throughout, like a culmination point or something emotional like that. Something to break up that sound a little.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah, I don't necessarily need them to go harsh or anything. I don't mind full on clean vocals. It's just I feel that it was missing a moment or two throughout, like a culmination point or something emotional like that. Something to break up that sound a little.

I think that's a fair critique.

Melchiah

cszYcQg.jpg

EDIT:
PzDvArO.jpg

DSBM-band:
"Let's play this riff another 30 times, so everyone will understand."

Kaladin

I went to a music festival over the weekend. It was country, blues, rock, punk and a whole mix of stuff. Anyway, this guy is a solo performer with an acoustic guitar and he's a great singer/songwriter. He busted out this cover of Danzig's I'm The One and nailed it.

James Hunnicutt - I'm The One (Danzig cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHSEZBCW-c

He also did some acoustic instrumental Slayer in his set for Jeff Hanneman. I'll like that when I find a video of it.

"hi this is Kyle from Incantation and i have a moustache"

haha, just discovered i had (most of) Anal Cunt's discography in an old pen drive.

MIKE MAHAN HAS GENGIVITIS

MIKE!!!!

rObit

Banned
Pre-orders & First song from the new August Burns Red album is now up: "Fault Line"

My mind is broken between this and Tesseract this week. (Still digesting that album, but hot damn its good. I know that much.)

But wow, this ABR track is great. I don't even know what to say really. It doesn't go quite as far on the crazy side of things as some of the stuff on Leveler, but they used some of the more traditional stuff to hype up that album as well, if I recall correctly. I love the breakdown, if there's one thing that was missing on Leveler it was some of that crunch that got me into ABR in the first place.

This thing's gonna be on loop for awhile, I think.

This is like one long Screaming For Vengeance album, haha this is great.

Oooo very cool. Will check this out sometime soon.

Well, their history is actually not that interesting or exciting. Actually it seems liker outside from the music they played they were a pretty boring band lol. Their craziest anecdote was that they crashed a van. Still I watched the whole thing.

Sanctuary

I just got into the new Volbeat too. Never heard them before; never would have bothered with them if not for the King Diamond collaboration. I love their more bombastic, metal-influenced tracks, but their softer stuff leaves me totally cold. I can't get into anything on Outlaw Gentlemen before track 6. But when they're less alternative and more metal they're a breath of fresh air. Their heavier stuff sounds like Load but with better songwriting, and without the taint of Lars.

Room 24 may as well be a new Mercyful Fate song. It's amazing; King Diamond should write a whole album with these guys. I'm also enjoying Hangman, Lola Montez, Black Bart, Doc Holliday and Our Loved Ones. That's less than half the album, but I'd love to hear more Volbeat in this vein. Which of their older albums would you recommend?

I just picked this album up recently myself. I greatly enjoyed their first three albums, but Above Heaven/Beyond Hell didn't do anything for me, so I figured the band was going to stay in that direction. Glad they didn't, as the new album has quite a few good songs on it.

I don't know if you dislike the country bits, but you might have been able to swallow the country style if you had listened to their previous albums (they are also much less "mainstreamy") if it bothers you. It's much more prominent on Outlaw, but I don't mind. I actually can't stand country (lyrics and vocals), but like most of what Volbeat comes up with since it's a hybrid, cross-genre style. There are a few songs on the album that I really don't care for, and two that I always skip, but the rest are decent to great. It's a shame though that my favorite song on the album may as well have been a song off of Fatal Portrait or Into The Unknown. It's so much better than every other song on this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzeqoMSx5w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp6GRJU4Dz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p0VDP8hQP0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9ucjWBcZM

They basically took over from where Metallica left off with the Black album.

Kaladin

I don't know if you dislike the country bits, but you might have been able to swallow the country style if you had listened to their previous albums (they are also much less "mainstreamy") if it bothers you. It's much more prominent on Outlaw, but I don't mind. I actually can't stand country (lyrics and vocals), but like most of what Volbeat comes up with since it's a hybrid, cross-genre style. There are a few songs on the album that I really don't care for, and two that I always skip, but the rest are decent to great. It's a shame though that my favorite song on the album may as well have been a song off of Fatal Portrait or Into The Unknown. It's so much better than every other song on this album.

If you like when bands mix country or roots style music with other genres, there are a bunch out there that do that. Check out my Americana thread, or I can recommend some of the more punk and metal influenced here if you like.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502141

SOME-MIST

new Indricothere was released this week. It's Colin Martson's (behold... the arctopus, krallice, gorguts, dysrhythmia, and owner of Menegroth The Thousand Caves) new material for his solo project. pretty solid work.. though I personally prefer the original album he recorded when he was still in college.

http://indricothere.bandcamp.com/album/ii

deeds of flesh finally released their first full track for their upcoming album "portals to canaan" releasing in June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfqNG8QYsBw&feature=youtu.be

New Bodom is fine, but I just can't muster the strength to care about that band much these days. Used to be obsessed with them in high school when Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper came out.

Vio-Lence

Banned
haven't listened to bodom since like 2003, but i think something wild and hatebreeder were the best. follow the reaper was power metal fun, but hatecrew was trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom