• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Timedog said:
that Pantera bullshit that happened in the 90's.

Yikes, I'd hate metal, too if Pantera was one of the first bands I heard.

Have you heard Alcest's first EP, Le Secret? It's actually black metal. Take Souvenirs and remove the shoegaze, clean vocals, and add more black metal. It's so good.

Here's some other stuff you should like

Dismember - The God That Never Was
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Demiurg - Breath of the Demiurg
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation; Mind Tricks
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Soilwork - Steel Bath Suicide

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Phobophile said:

Have you heard Alcest's first EP, Le Secret? It's actually black metal. Take Souvenirs and remove the shoegaze, clean vocals, and add more black metal. It's so good.

Here's some other stuff you should like

Dismember - The God That Never Was
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Demiurg - Breath of the Demiurg
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation; Mind Tricks
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Soilwork - Steel Bath Suicide

Sweet. Oh yeah, I also REALLY like Baroness, new Mastodon(haven't heard anything pre leviathan), Isis.

Timedog said:
i went through some of the stuff recommended earlier in the thread and I really like:

Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream

Someone recommend me some awesome metal that someone who likes the bands/albums I listed would also like. Whoops, time for me to become a metalhead.

If you liked that album, listen to it's sister band ENTOMBED.
someone already recommended "Left Hand Path", but heres the follow up to it thats a bit more accessible "Clandestine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQd0cr7kLA

it's required listening if you like either Dismember or Entombed.

also another great band thats a bit newer but sounds old school in league with Entombed/Dismember is Maze of Torment. The ablum "Death Strikes" sounds as if Dismember went into studio and recorded Slayer's "Hell Awaits" album.

Phobophile

I can't, in good faith, recommend Clandestine. The vocals are complete shit compared to LHP and it's just so flat and boring.

Phobophile said:
I can't, in good faith, recommend Clandestine. The vocals are complete shit compared to LHP and it's just so flat and boring.

really? I know Nicke Andersson's (not Johnny Dordevic) vocals get a lot of flak for it, but the music completely overshadow's that imo. Clandestine is in its own league and has its own sound, but i actually do prefer Left Hand Path a bit more. More classic. For someone newer to metal, i do think Clandestine is an easier one to grasp.

yacobod

Banned
jimmbow said:
For anyone who's interested, Metallica is FINALLY officially playing Trapped Under Ice, that song they've NEVER played live sans 2 times, which where fan requested so it was all butchered and shit.

they played trapped under ice in 2000 when i saw them in rosemont

Ceres

Banned
So Heaven and Hell is touring with Coheed and Cambria over the summer. With the Live Nation "No Fee" days, I think I'm going to pick up tickets for the show in Boston tonight. I've been wanting to see Coheed and Cambria since I'm now actually familiar with their music and they couldn't be opening for much better of a band.

obscura_cosmogenesis_cover.jpg

You guys should really check out Obscuras new album Cosmogenesis. In the vein of necrophagist(guitarist and the awesome drummer are ex-necrophagist guys) but definitely it's own thing. Awesome record!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesr2siegRg

Woffls

HELP Me Metalligaf

What's the name of that album that's advertised as having over 200 riffs by that band which is obviously super cool?

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
Not to be an ass but I really hate this album, and most tech death in general. Its so boring.
Most of them end up being soulless Necrophagist clones. Hell, even Necrophagist became their own clone.

Woffls

Ravager61 said:
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends?

Yes! Thank you :D I knew gaf wouldn't let me down.

I've been listening to Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle all day.
It's pretty mindblowing.

Ravager61 said:
Not to be an ass but I really hate this album, and most tech death in general. Its so boring.
Hey, different strokes. But I agree that there are few really good techdeath-bands out there, that's why I was so pleasently surprised by this album.

Ravager61

Crescendo170 said:
Hey, different strokes. But I agree that there are few really good techdeath-bands out there, that's why I was so pleasently surprised by this album.

If you are into tech death, I have heard good things about the new Gorod album. I havent heard it myself since, as I said, the genre doesn't interest me much. Maybe someone else can vouch for it.

Ceres

Banned
Woffls said:
Yes! Thank you :D I knew gaf wouldn't let me down.

I've been listening to Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle all day.
It's pretty mindblowing.

Check out the other Ayreon albums if you haven't. I love Into the Electric Castle but The Human Equation is my personal favorite.

Phobophile

Crescendo170 said:

I never liked Gorod all that much until this album. I always found their music to be really cheesy and forced, and that this new one is pulled off effortlessly. But it seems that my opinion's rather contrarian; most people I've spoken to dislike this one and find it cheesier than the rest.

Ravager61 said:
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends?

it was actually Dark Angel's "Time Does Not Heal" album that advertised 200+ riffs.

Another album that would probably come close to the amount of riffs is "Dreamweaver" by Sabbat (UK)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Crescendo170 said:
You guys should really check out Obscuras new album Cosmogenesis. In the vein of necrophagist(guitarist and the awesome drummer are ex-necrophagist guys) but definitely it's own thing. Awesome record!
I've heard good and bad things about it. Maybe I'll check it out if I'm really bored sometime. It kind of irks me when bands take their name from an obvious influence's album or song title, though.

yacobod

Banned
Woffls said:
HELP Me Metalligaf

What's the name of that album that's advertised as having over 200 riffs by that band which is obviously super cool?

right band, wrong album. The album u are looking for is Time Does Not Heal, the 4th and final album by Dark Angel, which was released in 1991. When released it had a sticker reading "9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs!".

Phobophile said:

I never liked Gorod all that much until this album. I always found their music to be really cheesy and forced, and that this new one is pulled off effortlessly. But it seems that my opinion's rather contrarian; most people I've spoken to dislike this one and find it cheesier than the rest.
Checked out some clips and it sounds pretty cool, just judging by a quick listen. I'm hard pressed for listening-material right now so I'll give them a shot. Thanks!

Hey GAF, i'm looking to expand my metal DVD collection - so far I have;

• Iron Maiden - Flight 666
  • Iron Maiden - Live After Death
  • Iron Maiden - Raising Hell
  • Iron Maiden - Visions of the Beast
  • Kreator - At the Pulse of Kapitulation
  • Opeth - Lamentations
  • Slayer, Exodus & Venom - Combat Tour '85

Can anyone reccomend some good concert dvds in a similar vein?

Sandman42

Damn Baroness is a kick ass band. I love all their stuff from the EP's, to the Red Album, even the split EP with two songs. I can't get enough of these guys.

The only similar sounding band I was able to find was Kylesa, who have an awesome new album out called Static Tensions. Kylesa plays with two(!) drummers, which sounds really awesome.

Ravager61

Bootaaay said:

• Iron Maiden - Flight 666
  • Iron Maiden - Live After Death
  • Iron Maiden - Raising Hell
  • Iron Maiden - Visions of the Beast
  • Kreator - At the Pulse of Kapitulation
  • Opeth - Lamentations
  • Slayer, Exodus & Venom - Combat Tour '85

Amon Amarth has a 3 dvd set with like 5 shows total for only 15 bucks I think. Its pretty good.

Ravager61 said:
Amon Amarth has a 3 dvd set with like 5 shows total for only 15 bucks I think. Its pretty good.

Awesome, thanks dude - I only caught the end of Amon Amarth's set on Slayer's Unholy Alliance tour earlier this year, but the little I saw impressed the hell out of me and i've been meaning to check out their stuff ever since, seems like that DVD set will serve as a great introduction :)

Ceres

Banned
Bootaaay said:

Metal: A Headbangers Journey
Documentary but a must own.

Heaven And Hell - Live From Radio City Music Hall
Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes
Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys
Primal Fear - History of Fear
Judas Priest - Rising in the East

Maybe not your kind of music but worth checking out:
Redemption - Frozen In The Moment - Live In Atlanta
Nightwish - End Of An Era
Within Temptation - The Black Symphony (it's available on blu-ray)
Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night
Evergrey - A Night To Remember
Therion - Celebrators of Becoming
Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through the Looking Glass

Woffls

Ceres said:
Check out the other Ayreon albums if you haven't. I love Into the Electric Castle but The Human Equation is my personal favorite.

I actually listened to the Human Equation first, and I LOVE IT TO BITS. I only listened to Into the Electric Castle for the first time today, and have just had it on repeat all day. It's amazing, this guy is a fricken genius.

Thanks for all the Dark Angel related responses, I recognised the band name when I heard it but this is exactly what I was after. Thanksss

Also an Ayreon related question, are Lucassen's(?) other projects even half as good as this? Damn, I mean seriously... this stuff is epic on so many levels... shame about the super lame narration on Electric Castle xD

JimmyV

Banned
Ceres said:
Metal: A Headbangers Journey
Documentary but a must own.

Heaven And Hell - Live From Radio City Music Hall
Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes
Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys
Primal Fear - History of Fear
Judas Priest - Rising in the East

Maybe not your kind of music but worth checking out:
Redemption - Frozen In The Moment - Live In Atlanta
Nightwish - End Of An Era
Within Temptation - The Black Symphony (it's available on blu-ray)
Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night
Evergrey - A Night To Remember
Therion - Celebrators of Becoming
Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through the Looking Glass

THOSE!!

Also, not metal, but ACDC's Concert DVD is really amazing!
Megadeth That One Night - Live in Buenos Aires is pretty cool as well.

Ceres

Banned
Woffls said:
I actually listened to the Human Equation first, and I LOVE IT TO BITS. I only listened to Into the Electric Castle for the first time today, and have just had it on repeat all day. It's amazing, this guy is a fricken genius.

Thanks for all the Dark Angel related responses, I recognised the band name when I heard it but this is exactly what I was after. Thanksss

Also an Ayreon related question, are Lucassen's(?) other projects even half as good as this? Damn, I mean seriously... this stuff is epic on so many levels... shame about the super lame narration on Electric Castle xD

Star One is the only one that could pass off as an Ayreon album. All the songs are based on science fiction movies and one tv show. There's an album and also a live DVD that features a lot of Ayreon music. The DVD is pretty hokey but I love all things Arjen and I've resigned myself to this being the closest I'll ever be to seeing a lot of Ayreon material live.... Plus it features some awesome singers (even if Damian Wilson looks like a tool in those clothes)

I enjoy Stream of Passion though it's far more "poppy" even if it has that overall Arjen sound. The lead singer is the wife from THE who also wrote most of the lyrics. He only did work on the first album though. They just released a second which I haven't heard yet. There's also a live DVD/CD featuring a few Ayreon songs. The live version of Day 11: Love is pretty cool.

Ambeon is an odd project. It's ambient music featuring a 14 year old female singer. Almost all the actual music itself is taken from Ayreon songs.

His new side project should be interesting.

Bootaaay said:

[*]Slayer, Exodus & Venom - Combat Tour '85
[/LIST]

thats pretty much the How to be Metal Bible movie of all time.
Might as well pick up Ultimate Revenge Part 2 (Forbidden, Death, Dark Angel, Faith Or Fear, Raven). The highlights of part 2 is Forbidden. The Death performance, Chuck looked really nervous, haha.

I'm not sure if these are on DVD yet but:
Live in East Berlin (Kreator, Coroner, Sabbat)

The Carcass - "Wake Up And Smell The...Carcass" is a great one if you're remotely an older Carcass fan.

Iced Earth - Live in Athen is not bad. Good Stereo and Dolby Digital Audio.

Testament - Seen Between The Lines is a total Cliff 'Em All style documentary/home video/interviews

>: (

On another note -
I saw Heaven and Hell two days ago! In a castle (or citadel..that's what it was called) in berlin! Needless to say it was great standing right in front of them, listening to some of my favourite songs live. :D ....absolutely great. Tony Iommi is one of my guitar heroes. :O

JimmyV

Banned
For any Manowar fans out there they release a preview for their new song. Its like a month old so sorry if its been posted. Why the hell do they record on NY but they never tour in the US >:eek:

Greg

Holy shit... I've been listening to this CD for a while, and it's easily my favorite tech/brutal death CD of the year. There are a few orchestral elements at the beginning and end of a few tracks, but other than that that it never lets up. If you're a fan of the genre, give it at least 2 listens because it didn't really grab me immediately - now it's one of my top for the year.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
http://www.myspace.com/fleshgodapocalypse
2d17de8.jpg

Ravager61

235418.jpg

New Drudkh album leaked. I like it a lot actually. More then I thought I would. Its much better than Estrangement. I can't shake the feeling though that their new material lacks a certain... passion I guess, that their old stuff has.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
235418.jpg

New Drudkh album leaked. I like it a lot actually. More then I thought I would. Its much better than Estrangement. I can't shake the feeling though that their new material lacks a certain... passion I guess, that their old stuff has.
That's why I don't like Blood in Our Wells all that much. They just seem so damned blasé through it.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
That's why I don't like Blood in Our Wells all that much. They just seem so damned blasé through it.
Really? I agree that BioW is sometimes meandering and songs can take a while to get where they are going, but it has some truly memorable parts on it which make up for the negatives. I wouldn't say its their best album but I really do love it.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Greg said:
Holy shit... I've been listening to this CD for a while, and it's easily my favorite tech/brutal death CD of the year. There are a few orchestral elements at the beginning and end of a few tracks, but other than that that it never lets up. If you're a fan of the genre, give it at least 2 listens because it didn't really grab me immediately - now it's one of my top for the year.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
http://www.myspace.com/fleshgodapocalypse
2d17de8.jpg

you son of a bitch!! :lol
I love this band now.:lol
Fuck awesome tech death and WAY better album than Gorod's new album by all means.

Korranator

Ravager61 said:
235418.jpg

I still think they peaked at Forgotten Legends, and have gone slightly downhill since.

BioHazard

Anyone listening to the new Iron Maiden live album? I saw some of the Flight 666 documentary. Bruce flies the plane!!! He's like the coolest guy ever.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I got it, it's quite awesome. Finally have a live versions of songs past Powerslave. I'm getting the Blu-Ray documentary in July. Amazon ships it then even though Best Buy is already selling it. I can wait though, it was only $14.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom