• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Southern Lord finally put the vinyl and CD up for pre-order for Power Trip's Manifest Decimation. I'm so happy that Southern Lord included a media mail option. Their shipping prices were crazy. I was able to score the CD and LP for $27.54 total. That's a decent deal considering the CD is probably $10 at a show and LP is probably $15.

http://www.southernlord.com/index2.php

Kaladin

Buy small shirts if there is one you like that isn't in a size you wear and convert it into a back patch for a work shirt or jacket.

I need to listen to more Exodus

Yes you do. This song ain't about no goldfish, it aint about no tuna fish, and it aint about no trout.

Saw Boris on their "From The Past, The Present, and Through The Future" tour in SF.
All their popular ones ranging from Amplifier Worship up to Smile + a fucking awesome new song that I have no idea what it's called, but its similar to Farewell, Blackout, Heavy Rocks, etc.
Highlight was definitely "Hama" off Amplifier Worship, that new song, and closing with Farewell.

Aske

aNUPheV.jpg

Now I've finally had some time to digest it, I have to share some thoughts on Tetragrammaton.

At first listen I was somewhat let down. The band's songwriting on this CD is an obvious extension of the style they developed on Triumvirate, but aside from the opening track, it sounds much less fresh. Thankfully, I found the songs grew on me enough to stand up on their own merits. Once I stopped comparing it to the previous CD, Tetragrammaton improved immensely.

The album really does beg for the Triumvirate comparison, however. There's another industrial-influenced German language track in the vein of the last album's Kindertodeslied, but it's less good; and the lengthy opening track, Gods Amongst Insects, is the new album's equivalent to Triumvirate's Deus ex Machina. This time the subject matter is Transformers rather than Stargate, but it's a similarly enjoyable death metal take on a sci-fi franchise played totally straight. What's less enjoyable is the ubiquitous use of Orion Pax (young Optimus Prime)'s spoken word vocals on subsequent tracks. They're perfect on Gods Amongst Insects, but they're unnecessary on Human Wave Attack (an otherwise excellent song...about the first Gulf War) and Aslimu!!! (the Jihad-themed closing track). They make more sense when they show up on Supreme Avante-Garde Death Metal.

Not only do the Prime vocals take the listener out of the music and homogenize tracks which would otherwise feel completely distinct; but the band also included a Dethklok/GWAR-esque song in the form of Supreme Avante-Garde Death Metal which mythicizes The Deathcult as goofily as any metal band has ever mythicized themselves. It's obviously satirical, but aspects of it are intentionally painful, and the song feels incongruous on an album amongst tracks about topics like the Rwandan genocide. The Dethklok thing is fun, and the music is strong, but it does break the mood.

The Monolith Deathcult has always had a sense of humour in their interviews and PR. I enjoy their satirical send-ups of the extreme metal scene; and their sarcastic, cynical approach to their image is refreshing for a band in this genre. However, they always took their music very seriously, thoughtfully exploring historical and political topics few other bands touched without a trace of irony. This is no longer the case on Tetragrammaton. I could have lived with SADM alone, but combined with the overuse of Prime vocals elsewhere, I feel the band's tongue is in its cheek to the detriment of much of its music.

Fortunately, there's still plenty of classic TMD on the album. Qasr Al-Nihaya, Gods Amongst Insects and Drugs, Thugs, Machetes are spectacular. They're great examples of the band flexing its songwriting muscles and pushing the envelope in exactly the way I expected in the follow-up to Triumvirate; and while I'm not hugely enamoured of Todesnacht von Stammheim or SADM, I can't say there's a bad track on the album.

Tetragrammaton certainly isn't the breath of fresh air Triumvirate was, but despite my criticisms, it's still a solid side-step with a lot to offer. It's nowhere near as mind-blowing as its predecessor, but it still includes a good deal of variety and interest amongst its seven tracks; and TMD's post-Triumvirate music is still more unusual, multi-faceted and rich than most other bands in the death metal genre.

The album has many highlights, but here are my aforementioned favourites: Qasr Al-Nihaya, Drugs, Thugs, Machetes, Gods Amongst Insects.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Gorguts is doing a short NA tour in September:

9/5 Springfield, VA
9/6 Raleigh, NC
9/7 Wilmington, DE
9/8 Worcester, MA

Now I've finally had some time to digest it, I have to share some thoughts on Tetragrammaton.

At first listen I was somewhat let down. The band's songwriting on this CD is an obvious extension of the style they developed on Triumvirate, but aside from the opening track, it sounds much less fresh. Thankfully, I found the songs grew on me enough to stand up on their own merits. Once I stopped comparing it to the previous CD, Tetragrammaton improved immensely.

The album really does beg for the Triumvirate comparison, however. There's another industrial-influenced German language track in the vein of the last album's Kindertodeslied, but it's less good; and the lengthy opening track, Gods Amongst Insects, is the new album's equivalent to Triumvirate's Deus ex Machina. This time the subject matter is Transformers rather than Stargate, but it's a similarly enjoyable death metal take on a sci-fi franchise played totally straight. What's less enjoyable is the ubiquitous use of Orion Pax (young Optimus Prime)'s spoken word vocals on subsequent tracks. They're perfect on Gods Amongst Insects, but they're unnecessary on Human Wave Attack (an otherwise excellent song...about Iraqui suicide bombers) and Aslimu!!! (the Jihad-themed closing track). They make more sense when they show up on Supreme Avante-Garde Death Metal.

Not only do the Prime vocals take the listener out of the music and homogenize tracks which would otherwise feel completely distinct; but the band also included a Dethklok/GWAR-esque song in the form of Supreme Avante-Garde Death Metal which mythicizes The Deathcult as goofily as any metal band has ever mythicized themselves. It's obviously satirical, but aspects of it are intentionally painful, and the song feels incongruous on an album amongst tracks about topics like the Rwandan genocide. The Dethklok thing is fun, and the music is strong, but it does break the mood.

The Monolith Deathcult has always had a sense of humour in their interviews and PR. I enjoy their satirical send-ups of the extreme metal scene; and their sarcastic, cynical approach to their image is refreshing for a band in this genre. However, they always took their music very seriously, thoughtfully exploring historical and political topics few other bands touched without a trace of irony. This is no longer the case on Tetragrammaton. I could have lived with SADM alone, but combined with the overuse of Prime vocals elsewhere, I feel the band's tongue is in its cheek to the detriment of much of its music.

Fortunately, there's still plenty of classic TMD on the album. Qasr Al-Nihaya, Gods Amongst Insects and Drugs, Thugs, Machetes are spectacular. They're great examples of the band flexing its songwriting muscles and pushing the envelope in exactly the way I expected in the follow-up to Triumvirate; and while I'm not hugely enamoured of Todesnacht von Stammheim or SADM, I can't say there's a bad track on the album.

Tetragrammaton certainly isn't the breath of fresh air Triumvirate was, but despite my criticisms, it's still a solid side-step with a lot to offer. It's nowhere near as mind-blowing as its predecessor, but it still includes a good deal of variety and interest amongst its seven tracks; and TMD's post-Triumvirate music is still more unusual, multi-faceted and rich than most other bands in the death metal genre.

The album has many highlights, but here are my aforementioned favourites: Qasr Al-Nihaya, Drugs, Thugs, Machetes, Gods Amongst Insects.

Nice writeup Aske, I was wondering what you thought of it. I had a similar experience, at first I was rather let down. Now I really enjoying it. It doesn't top Triumvirate, but that would've been quite a feat (I love that album, Wrath of the Baath, Kindertodeslied, Masters of the Bryansk Forest and Demigod are amazing).

Overall its a very good album. My favourites are God Among Insects and Human Wave Attack so far, I favour the first half of the album. I don't think the Prime vocals are overused in HWA (or anywhere). I do agree that SADM is a weird track and doesn't really fit thematically. How they vocalise the words death metal at the end in a heavy/power metal style is fun though :p

Btw Human Wave Attack is about the Iranian human wave attacks during Iran-Iraq war.

Aske

Nice writeup Aske, I was wondering what you thought of it. I had a similar experience, at first I was rather let down. Now I really enjoying it. It doesn't top Triumvirate, but that would've been quite a feat (I love that album, Wrath of the Baath, Kindertodeslied, Masters of the Bryansk Forest and Demigod are amazing).

Overall its a very good album. My favourites are God Among Insects and Human Wave Attack so far, I favour the first half of the album. I don't think the Prime vocals are overused in HWA (or anywhere). I do agree that SADM is a weird track and doesn't really fit thematically. How they vocalise the words death metal at the end in a heavy/power metal style is fun though :p

Btw Human Wave Attack is about the Iranian human wave attacks during Iran-Iraq war.

Thanks for the correction, I'll edit. I knew HWA was about the Iran/Iraq war, but I got stuck on the 'human detonators' lyric.

I'm interested you felt similarly about the album. I wonder what kind of reception it's getting amongst other TMD fans. It's a tough album to treat fairly because it's so trapped in the shadow of Triumvirate. The one stylistically specific song on that album with no obvious equivalent on Tetragrammaton is Den Ensomme Nordens Dronning, and I hope the band writes another track in that style in the future.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
If you are in the LA area:

Hydra Head Records LA HQ Blowout-Yard Sale-Goodbye Party

The time has come for Hydra Head to shut down our LA HQ. It's been a long time coming, but that doesn't make the process any less of a heart breaker. In order to ease our pain a bit, we're opening our doors to the public for the first and last time on Saturday May 25th so we celebrate our disintegration with a Hydra Head Super-Power-Yard-Sale™. James O'Mara and Aaron Turner will be on hand to help serve you, and if you're nice, give you treats (sadly Sugar Bear aka Andrew Cox will be spending his last official paycheck in Mexico and won't be able to join us). We'll have tables set up with goodies in the office for your perusal, and snacks and refreshments available at random intervals. There will be some give away surprises to random customers and a free test pressing for the first five arrivals.

Some of what we'll have on had that day will include (but is not limited to) the following: $1 CDs, $5 t-shirts, office furniture (anyone need a desk? - we'll be giving away some of our office stuff as well), discounted copies of recent vinyl titles, Hydra Head Super-Rarities™ (original pressings of Cave In "Beyond Hypothermia" LP, Converge/Agoraphobic Nosebleed LP, Discordance Axis "Inalienable Dreamless" LP, Cave In "Jupiter" LP, Botch "We Are the Romans" 2xLP, Neurosis "Sovereign" LP, Pelican "The Fire in Our Throats..." 2xLP, etc), AND some other related treasures (ISIS test pressings and box sets, screen printed tour posters, random black metal t-shirts, and whatever other gems we can dig up). Our aim is to get rid of as much as is possible in our office, so if you see something you like hanging on a wall or sitting on a desk make us an offer and see what happens!

Here are the specifics:

Hydra Head Power-Blow-Out-Yard-Sale-Extravaganza™
Saturday, May 25th, Noon - 7 pm
4222 Santa Monica Blvd #104
Los Angeles, CA 90029

Thanks to everyone who made our Los Angeles dreams come true. We'll miss you! Come on by to say bye, and take some treasures home - from our horde to yours!

xoxo,
Team Hydra
(Aaron, James, Andrew)

I wish I could go ;~;

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
SOME-MIST said:
I would kill to see the new material live - especially if Colin Marston and Kevin Hufnagel had any hand in helping write it.
I saw them play some of the new stuff 2-3 years ago and it sounded pretty good. I'm sure it's come a long way since then, too — I got the impression that some of the songs didn't yet have vocals, for example.

deafheavens sunbather seems nice so far :eek:
I've listened to it a few times, and again right now, and it's really, really good.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So at Trudeau airport at the moment, should arrive in Baltimore in mid to late afternoon (Toronto layover, derp). MDF here we come. Forecast says it might go as high as 40 celsius with humidity... Hope I won't die of a heat stroke. :p
since we're on the topic of Exodus...
Baloff or Souza?
Baloff by far. Souza's voice is nasally mediocre.

blahness

So at Trudeau airport at the moment, should arrive in Baltimore in mid to late afternoon (Toronto layover, derp). MDF here we come. Forecast says it might go as high as 40 celsius with humidity... Hope I won't die of a heat stroke. :p

Baloff by far. Souza's voice is nasally mediocre.

By all accounts the weather this year should be marvelous compared to the past few as far as heat and humidity. Supposed to have a little bit of rain tonight and the only thing I worry about is going to be the wind tomorrow. I am stuck at work until this evening and I know I will start going crazy knowing that it is starting before I get off of work.

Kaladin

August 6th......

Revocation - Revocation

1. The Hive
2. Scattering the Flock
3. Arch Fiend
4. Numbing Agents
5. Fracked
6. The Gift You Gave
7. Invidious
8. Spastic
9. Entombed By Wealth