• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
I have already accepted I have bad taste, try as I might to remedy it. Fate is cruel, but I cannot overcome it.

So I'm trying to get into Megadeth. I need some recommendations to make a perfect playlist.

Note: Mustaine's voice is really on/off for me. I hate songs like "Sweating Bullets" and its "Hello me..." part. So anything without the 'weird' Mustaine vocals is my bag. My fave songs are Peace Sells and Hanger 18. What other songs should i be giving plays to?

Songs? Gotta go with entire albums I'm afraid. These are my favorites

Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
So Far, So Good... So What!
Rust In Peace
Countdown to Extinction
Youthanasia
Endgame

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I'm trying to get into Megadeth. I need some recommendations to make a perfect playlist.

Note: Mustaine's voice is really on/off for me. I hate songs like "Sweating Bullets" and its "Hello me..." part. So anything without the 'weird' Mustaine vocals is my bag. My fave songs are Peace Sells and Hanger 18. What other songs should i be giving plays to?

Mustaine is a bad singer so perfect for Megadeth. He's voice is an acquired taste. (I also love his voice on Sweating Bullets; the different voices kinda set the voices-in-my-head madness that is the song).

Yeah you gotta go albums, but if you HAD to pick songs...

Take No Prisoners
Symphony of Destruction
44 Minutes
Peace Sells
Hanger 18
Tornado of Souls
Wake Up Dead
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Sleepwalker
Skin O' My Teeth
Trust

The month of June has a lot of big metal releases, what are you looking forward to?

June 4th:

Megadeth - Super Colider
Queensryche - Frequency Unknown
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

June 11th:

Black Sabbath - 13
Children of Bodom - Halo of Blood
The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Scale The Summit - Migration
Evile - Skull

June 18th:
High On Fire - Spitting Fire Live Vol 1.

June 25th:
Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods

Let me know if I missed anything, I compiled this list from Amazon release dates. This is a stacked month.

New Summoning! Too be honest, that's the only thing in June I'm looking forward to. On your list only Scale the Summit sounds interesting to me (I don't care for live albums and I'm not interested in AA anymore)

Also why is Queens of the Stone Age on that list?

This whole year has been crazy for metal. this is my list so far:

The Living Infinite - Soilwork
Circle - Amorphis
Spiritual Migration - Persefone
One of Use is the Killer - The Dillinger Escape Plan
Heart of Oak - Anciients
Infestissumam - Ghost
Beyond - Omnium Gatherum
Disarm the Descent - Killswitch Engage
Vertikal - Cult of Luna
Bloodsvept - Finntroll
Target Earth - Voivod

Any recommendations of things I've missed?

Upcoming albums I'm looking forward to (or heard through streams and love already, like Tesseract):

Altered State - TesseracT - May 27
Construct - Dark Tranquillity - May 27
Coal - Leprous - May 28
Wisdom of Crowds - Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - June 3 (sort of metal, maybe... it is Katatonia's singer)
Old Mornings Dawn - Summoning - June 7
13 - Black Sabbath - June 11
Halo of Blood - Children of Bodom - June 11
Everblack - The Black Dahlia Murder - June 11
Migration - Scale The Summit - June 11
Deceiver Of The Gods - Amon Amarth June 25
All is One - Orphaned Land - June 27

And this year will also have new Cynic, possibly Dream Theater, and Ayreon, all of which are varying levels of metal and interest for me.

My favourites so far are The Monolith Deathcult - Tetragrammaton (Death metal, see Askes post on the previous page) and Nails - Abandon All Life (Hardcore/grind)

RayStorm

The month of June has a lot of big metal releases, what are you looking forward to?

Not necessarily looking forward to but interested in how it sounds:
Queensryche - Queensryche Which might be the better Queensryche album to be released this year.

My most liked Megadeth tracks are:
almost honest
a tout le monde
symphony of destruction
a secret place
hangar 18
countdown to extinction
crush 'em

Yes, Crush 'em.

Ravager61

FINALLY got my vinyl copy of Bell With's Longing in the mail yesterday. One of my favorite albums from last year. Love the art on this thing too.

Metalmarc

Liar

502 (the original version, not the shitty remaster where the sound of the glass smashing has been fucking watered down)
http://youtu.be/Pl94MkEeDBg

Mary jane
This Day We Fight
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Wake Up Dead
Killing Is My Business and Business is Good
Bad Omen
Good Mourning/Back Friday
Take No Prisoners
FFF
Vortex
Kill The King
In My Darkest Hour
Lucretia

Blackheim

Last Rites/Loved To Deth
Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
The Skull Beneath The Skin
Rattlehead
Chosen Ones
Wake Up Dead
Peace Sells
Good Mourning/Black Friday
My Last Words
Into The Lungs Of Hell
Set The World Afire
In My Darkest Hour
Hook In Mouth

Didn't they just release an album a few weeks ago?

Geoff Tate put together his own version of QR after getting the boot from QR and rushed out an album last month. It's...underwhelming. The actual QR with new singer Todd La Torre will be putting out their album next month. Until the battle over the name is settled (maybe in November) expect confusion to keep cropping up.

ShaneB

Happy burfday shane! Yaaay. Listen to something fast and ....fast ..until monday. Then you can get in on some radiohead.

Meh, my birthday isn't until Monday!

Megadeth are good times. My rotation basically consists of any album from Peace Sells to Youthanasia, and then the quality dips with albums I often forget about (same with thirteen), but picks up again with United Abominations and Endgame. Toss in a live album here and there and you've got a solid playlist you can feel safe randomizing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Meh, my birthday isn't until Monday!

Megadeth are good times. My rotation basically consists of any album from Peace Sells to Youthanasia, and then the quality dips with albums I often forget about (same with thirteen), but picks up again with United Abominations and Endgame. Toss in a live album here and there and you've got a solid playlist you can feel safe randomizing.

I know im sayin in advance because i most likely wont remember.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

brinstar

I was looking forward to this event. I saw them at São Paulo, but I wanted to know if they played new songs? Also, do you have some videos?
Nah I didn't take any vids. There was tons of people recording so I'm sure they'll be up. And no new songs, I think they're waiting for the new album to come out before they start playing them live

FYC

Banned
God says have a TV show!

God says 'BABY, DO SOME BLOW!'

God says taxes are a sin!

God says 'POUR THE MONEY IIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!'

tumblr_mnc1jzCRfr1qinb95o1_400.gif

Watevaman

Havok is coming to my local venue a few times this summer. Anyone seen them live? All I've got from them is Time is Up and their Point of No Return EP.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Any recommendations for southern style metal?

The southern-style is gonna differ to different degrees for these. "Southern" is usually mixed with another style (metalcore, thrash, groove, sludge).

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Hellyeah
ABYSS
The Sign Of The Southern Cross
Southern Whiskey Rebellion
Redneck Rampage
Once Nothing
The Showdown
Twelve Gauge Valentine
Down
Hank Williams III

Status