• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spink

I really want to like all of Deafheaven's new album, but Vertigo just blows every other track out of the water that it's kind of hard to do so.

kicking myself for not checking them out earlier because I thought they'd be shit hipster garbage like Liturgy. Sunbather and Roads to Judah have been getting abused since Wednesday.

Also, new Ash Borer

http://youtu.be/k6THUL-emOk

so fucking grim
big improvement on Cold of Ages

kicking myself for not checking them out earlier because I thought they'd be shit hipster garbage like Liturgy. Sunbather and Roads to Judah have been getting abused since Wednesday.

Also, new Ash Borer

http://youtu.be/k6THUL-emOk

so fucking grim
big improvement on Cold of Ages

You didn't like Cold of Ages? I think it's amazing.

Have you checked Fell Voices? They're one of my favorite BM bands at the moment and sooooo good live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7ndJDoPrM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

spink

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Videos brah?

I listening to Y&G again, and dat bass. So good.

I took 1 (poor quality) photo. I really don't like it when people just stand there with their phones out so I just snapped one real quick and that was it. I remember when I saw Amon Amarth, the dude in front of me was literally filming with his camera up at face level the whole damn concert. It's really distracting to me.

qRBhqdZ.jpg

I took 1 (poor quality) photo. I really don't like it when people just stand there with their phones out so I just snapped one real quick and that was it. I remember when I saw Amon Amarth, the dude in front of me was literally filming with his camera up at face level the whole damn concert. It's really distracting to me.

I don't understand people that film concerts. It's gonna be shitty shaky cam, the sound quality terrible and you ruin the experience for everyone behind you. Buy their fucking live DVD and gtfo of my way.

spink

seen an asshat doing it with an ipad once.
I would've slapped him if he was in front of me

FACE

Banned
Meh, my birthday isn't until Monday!

Megadeth are good times. My rotation basically consists of any album from Peace Sells to Youthanasia, and then the quality dips with albums I often forget about (same with thirteen), but picks up again with United Abominations and Endgame. Toss in a live album here and there and you've got a solid playlist you can feel safe randomizing.

Happy birthday!

Just wanted to say that Autopsy is the epitome of Death Metal. Ugly, sloppy, simple, catchy, and un-pretentious. Saw them last night in Oakland to a sold out crowd of 1000+ along with Fucking Bolt Thrower.

Also, Chris Reifert is a goddamn comedian.

blahness

Just wanted to say that Autopsy is the epitome of Death Metal. Ugly, sloppy, simple, catchy, and un-pretentious. Saw them last night in Oakland to a sold out crowd of 1000+ along with Fucking Bolt Thrower.

My favorite dm band ever. Did they play any new songs last night? How did they sound?

Vio-Lence

Banned

Too bad autopsy won't be with bolt thrower in Chicago.

Hellcrow

New Dark Tranquillity is up on Spotify! Far from their best, but worth checking out if you enjoyed Projector and are wondering what they are trying now.

RayStorm

I don't understand people that film concerts. It's gonna be shitty shaky cam, the sound quality terrible and you ruin the experience for everyone behind you. Buy their fucking live DVD and gtfo of my way.

Allow me to enlighten you!
Live DVD would not work, because it's not the concert I attended. Sound quality nowadays actually is fairly surprising. And as for the why, obviously to conserve a memory.

Now an argument can be made that by holding a camera the whole time, you actually lose out on a big part of the fun of attending a concert. Because after all you mainly stand somewhere next to a wall/fence where you try to hold your camera up with all its 10x zoomed glory while trying to keep your arm from falling to sleep.

Also there are many ways to ruin something for someone. Personally I don't like people running into me/through me or for that matter tight spaces with many people surrounding me. But sometimes that is the hand that is dealt and I can adjust.

DukeBobby

New Dark Tranquillity is up on Spotify! Far from their best, but worth checking out if you enjoyed Projector and are wondering what they are trying now.

Got my CD today, and I've listened to it twice all the way through. Pretty good, much better than We Are the Void.

"What Only You Know' is my favourite so far, but that could easily change during subsequent listens.

fallout

Allow me to enlighten you!
Live DVD would not work, because it's not the concert I attended. Sound quality nowadays actually is fairly surprising. And as for the why, obviously to conserve a memory.
Most of what I see on Youtube is absolutely awful and not even worth being on there.

I would like having a recording of the concerts I go to, but I also want it to be something I'd actually want to watch again. Ideally, bands would just do a simple recording of the concert and throw it up on the internet for a few bucks.

My favorite dm band ever. Did they play any new songs last night? How did they sound?

They played 2 new songs and it was unmistakenably Autopsy. Sounded awesome and sick sounding.

Closed out with Charred Remains and Ridden With Disease. Haven't seen a crowd get so nuts in a while.

haha. Now if only someone finds the lyrics to Dismember's "Pieces" song because even the singer doesnt know them :(

that's the best haha!
one band, I think it was rosetta once stated that they usually want people to go with the lyrics they understand and not necessarily the one they actually intended.
it's a nice concept. a bit like analysing a picture/painting and just coming up with themes/meanings that are important to you, despite what the artist actually thought while painting it.

that's the best haha!
one band, I think it was rosetta once stated that they usually want people to go with the lyrics they understand and not necessarily the one they actually intended.
it's a nice concept. a bit like analysing a picture/painting and just coming up with themes/meanings that are important to you, despite what the artist actually thought while painting it.

Similarly, John Tardy of Obituary never wrote down any lyrics and mainly improvised them during live shows. So it's kind of hard to "sing" along word for word, except during main parts.

Kaladin

Similarly, John Tardy of Obituary never wrote down any lyrics and mainly improvised them during live shows. So it's kind of hard to "sing" along word for word, except during main parts.

That sounds like something a lot of bands should do, and only the hardcore nerd fans up front would know the difference.

Nile comes to mind....I wonder how they can even remember half of their song titles.

Call me names but I actually kind of hate when bands improvise live, I prefer if they stick to what they recorded since most of the times these improvisations tend to worsen the songs imo

Kaladin

Call me names but I actually kind of hate when bands improvise live, I prefer if they stick to what they recorded since most of the times these improvisations tend to worsen the songs imo

I don't mind instrumental improvisation as long as it's in the form of a solo or a jam, but lyrical improvisation is the worst.

Toparaman

Banned
So I'm trying to get into Megadeth. I need some recommendations to make a perfect playlist.

Note: Mustaine's voice is really on/off for me. I hate songs like "Sweating Bullets" and its "Hello me..." part. So anything without the 'weird' Mustaine vocals is my bag. My fave songs are Peace Sells and Hanger 18. What other songs should i be giving plays to?

Mustaine sounds like Donald Duck on Countdown to Extinction (the album that has Sweating Bullets), so no arguments there.

The two essential Megadeth albums are Peace Sells and Rust in Peace.

As for specific songs:
Wake Up Dead (nothing but killer riff after killer riff, with ripping solos to boot),
Good Mourning (amazing intro),
My Last Words (amazing intro),
Lucretia (especially since you liked Hangar 18),
Five Magics (lots of neat time signature stuff).

If you want more, check out these tracks from So Far, So Good:
Mary Jane (probably Megadeth's most haunting song)
502 (pure exhilaration)

And if you want some raw, relentless thrash, you can't do better than these songs from the debut album:
Rattlehead (this song never gets old)
Killing is My Business

Oh, and make sure you don't listen to the remixed Rust in Peace. It has re-recorded Donald Duck vocals on some songs. The remixed Peace Sells is pretty good though.

Hope that helps anyone trying to get into Deth.

For the most part yes, especially if it's something easy and catchy to remember. John Tardy's approach is in the intonation, as long as he's not off beat. It's kind of what makes Obituary, Obituary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom