• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Thanks for all the southern metal recommendations y'all. Exhorder has always been on my to-do list.

Autopsy totally rules, I slipped Slaughterday in here just for you guys :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
New Dark Tranquillity is up on Spotify! Far from their best, but worth checking out if you enjoyed Projector and are wondering what they are trying now.

Oh man, I'll have to check this out. We Are The Void was disappointing, but Fiction is one of my favorite metal albums of all time. So good. Hope this is more like the latter and less like the former.

I love improvisation on classic rock, like Cream or Hendrix.
In Metal? Hell no. Also this comment in ultimateguitar made me cringe:

"Death Metal solos? Just play so fast no one can tell if your hitting the right notes or not. That's what most DM 'musicians' do. I might sound down on the genre but really I do like some old school DM, but stuff since the mid-90s has been crappy worship music punctuated with shitty 'technical' solos.

Stuff inspired by, but not religiously DM is always good, for a nice slow-hand extreme solo you could try 'Bleed Me an Ocean' by Acid Bath also as Mr Braykah mentioned At the Gates are pretty rad, though thus far one of the few MDM bands I can see any appeal in. Soilwork did a good album or two until they followed In Flames down the path to sellout teeny-bopping purgatory."

Death Metal solos are the best out there. How dare this guy say so much shit on this.

Quackula

Work and transportation issues make seeing Bolt Thrower myself pretty much impossible. Really sucks, they're one of my favorite bands too.

Well, I got to listen to the first half of Megadeth's Super Collider. Here a few things that stood out:

Kingmaker and Super Collider should not be songs 1 and 2. The album feels like it "starts" at song 3. And out of the 6 songs I heard, song 6, Dance in the Rain, felt to most "Megadeth-y". Also, this is the first song featuring David Draiman.

Aside from Dance in the Rain, part of me feels like these songs where written for Mustaine and he was forced to sing them. However, the song writing is so bad the other part of me feels he was forced to write them too.

Mustaine sounds to bored.

There are a few fun riffs here and there, and none of the music is bad, it just feels generic and not very memorable. The new Testament, for example, has several stand-out songs and the entire album has energy. So far, one song on Super Collider, Dance in the Rain, feels like it has some energy and it was something Mustaine wanted to do.

I'll listen to the second half with my evening cardio.

New Dark Tranquillity is up on Spotify! Far from their best, but worth checking out if you enjoyed Projector and are wondering what they are trying now.

Nice, I'll check this out.

Cradle of Filth - The Manticore And Other Horrors - Extended Claws is up on Spotify now too. 12 demos (same tracks as already on album) added on top of the original release. I haven't made my way through any of them yet but, will shortly.

Toparaman

Banned
Death Metal solos are the best out there.

They are? I enjoy death metal, but I can't think of any memorable guitar solos in death metal. Emotional, amazing, sure, but not memorable. Assuming we're talking about pure death metal, not proggy stuff like Cynic, or melodeath like In Flames and At the Gates. Then again, most of the death metal I've listened to is from the '80s and '90s, so maybe that's changed.

Off the top of my head, I've listened to Death, Necrophagist, Obituary, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Atheist, Suffocation.

Well, I got to listen to the first half of Megadeth's Super Collider.

How many times has he complained about Obama so far?

sgjackson

Sup metal gaf. Got my poster from the Baroness auction. Stoked.

F3oXphil.jpg

Kaladin

They are? I enjoy death metal, but I can't think of any memorable guitar solos in death metal. Emotional, amazing, sure, but not memorable. Assuming we're talking about pure death metal, not proggy stuff like Cynic, or melodeath like In Flames and At the Gates. Then again, most of the death metal I've listened to is from the '80s and '90s, so maybe that's changed.

Off the top of my head, I've listened to Death, Necrophagist, Obituary, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Atheist, Suffocation.

Revocation typically has some good solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bOHF9m0m8k

Well, listened to the last songs on the album. They are no better and the Thin Lizzy cover sucks.

The album isn't bad, its just not good. It's fun to listen to, but thats about as far as it goes. Now I'm not expecting Rust in Peace, Youthanasia, or Countdown Megadeth, but at least give me Endgame Megadeth.

How many times has he complained about Obama so far?

I wish he did at least once. It would have made the album more entertaining.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
There's a new All Pigs Must Die record coming this summer via Southern Lord. Niiice.

rObit

Banned
Tesseract put out a music video for Singularity. It's...ahm......well I'll just give a NSFW warning and you can discover the rest for yourself.

Lacking in originality, I'd say.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This first Maryland Death Fest experience has been... um, interesting? My Thursday flight to Baltimore was at 2PM and would have had us land at 3:30PM... and it was cancelled due to bad weather. We were booked on the next flight at 6:15. Not bad, still have time to make it for Bolt Thrower... right?

Only it kept getting delayed and delayed. Until at around 8:30 PM we were finally all boarded. I was sorta praying that Bolt Thrower would be late so we could catch part of their set at least. But nope. Once everyone boarded the plane, we then all had to get off for some reason. And then get told to try again in the morning, and get only offered a discounted hotel room as consolation since the airline's not liable for the weather.

Missed Bolt Thrower.

Because of thunderstorms.

....Yeah. lolirony. Also, FML.

Oh, and WTF was up with the entrance security and the ridiculously long lines. Arrived well in advance on Sunday, even found a friend in line, yet still missed Speedwolf. Wow. Terrible, terrible organization. Next year better have the dreamiest line-up ever because I don't care to repeat this experience. Then you have noise curfews which cut into Pentagram and Venom's set. Literally cut into it; they cut their amps in the middle of their songs. Grrr.

It wasn't all bad though. Saw excellent sets by Benediction, Carcass, Pagan Altar, Manilla Road and Pentagram (can't say the same for Venom, their setlist honestly sucked... it didn't help that they didn't even make it as far as Countess Bathory, which would no doubt have been the closer), met with some long-time e-friends from the Metal-archives chatroom, got that Decibel magazine where I'm interviewed (lol), and from the Toronto airport I managed to text a friend who was there to get him to pick up a Bolt Thrower shirt for me (so I have this little consolation prize). Missing BT really, really sucked though, they were my #1 reason for going (Pentagram being #2, as I had already seen a 3 hour headlining Pagan Altar and I will see a headlining Manilla Road in Montreal this summer). Visited the Baltimore Aquarium and the comic book museum and ate at a few very decent restaurants (though pricey, but it's the touristic section after all) in the Inner Harbour so I even managed to do some tourism.

Still though. Missing Bolt Thrower because of thrown bolts... I'll remember that til my grave, lol.

The month of June has a lot of big metal releases, what are you looking forward to?
Summoning.

Why is Dillinger Escape Plan not in the metal-archives?
Because they are jazzy mathcore, not metal.

I think I like you.

That video wasnt the whole set. They played for about 80 minutes and it was so fucking good.
Meh. They played longer than they were supposed to, and potentially ate into Pentagram's set. Which was cut short during Sign of the fucking Wolf, their signature song. I was very displeased, especially considering Sleep is fucking boring and Pentagram is fucking awesome. Though to be fair, Bobby Liebling is a giant fuck-up of a man (as anyone who's seen that Last Days Here documentary can verify) so blame is probably not all at Sleep's feet that they were late. Still, I was getting really impatient when it was 9:50 and Sleep was still playing. WTF. Stupid stoners forgot they had to stop or something?

They are? I enjoy death metal, but I can't think of any memorable guitar solos in death metal.
Try this one. That solo gives me chills every time.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Picked up Animals as Leaders - "Weightless" this weekend and picked up a copy of the new Tesseract album "Altered State" today.

Shit's good, son.

Yeah, for me at least. All of Cynic, Atheist and Opeth solos are mostly good, but aside from that, "pure" death metal, like Obituary, Death, Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, Necrophagist, Nile and Carcass have some fine solos too. I enjoy more that thrash metal solos.

Just to point out some:

Obituary

Death

Carcass

Nile

etc...

Well, listened to the last songs on the album. They are no better and the Thin Lizzy cover sucks.

The album isn't bad, its just not good. It's fun to listen to, but thats about as far as it goes. Now I'm not expecting Rust in Peace, Youthanasia, or Countdown Megadeth, but at least give me Endgame Megadeth.

I wish he did at least once. It would have made the album more entertaining.

Is it better or worse than Th1rt3en?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom