• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahness

This first Maryland Death Fest experience has been... um, interesting? My Thursday flight to Baltimore was at 2PM and would have had us land at 3:30PM... and it was cancelled due to bad weather. We were booked on the next flight at 6:15. Not bad, still have time to make it for Bolt Thrower... right?

Only it kept getting delayed and delayed. Until at around 8:30 PM we were finally all boarded. I was sorta praying that Bolt Thrower would be late so we could catch part of their set at least. But nope. Once everyone boarded the plane, we then all had to get off for some reason. And then get told to try again in the morning, and get only offered a discounted hotel room as consolation since the airline's not liable for the weather.

Missed Bolt Thrower.

Because of thunderstorms.

....Yeah. lolirony. Also, FML.

Oh, and WTF was up with the entrance security and the ridiculously long lines. Arrived well in advance on Sunday, even found a friend in line, yet still missed Speedwolf. Wow. Terrible, terrible organization. Next year better have the dreamiest line-up ever because I don't care to repeat this experience. Then you have noise curfews which cut into Pentagram and Venom's set. Literally cut into it; they cut their amps in the middle of their songs. Grrr.

It wasn't all bad though. Saw excellent sets by Benediction, Carcass, Pagan Altar, Manilla Road and Pentagram (can't say the same for Venom, their setlist honestly sucked... it didn't help that they didn't even make it as far as Countess Bathory, which would no doubt have been the closer), met with some long-time e-friends from the Metal-archives chatroom, got that Decibel magazine where I'm interviewed (lol), and from the Toronto airport I managed to text a friend who was there to get him to pick up a Bolt Thrower shirt for me (so I have this little consolation prize). Missing BT really, really sucked though, they were my #1 reason for going (Pentagram being #2, as I had already seen a 3 hour headlining Pagan Altar and I will see a headlining Manilla Road in Montreal this summer). Visited the Baltimore Aquarium and the comic book museum and ate at a few very decent restaurants (though pricey, but it's the touristic section after all) in the Inner Harbour so I even managed to do some tourism.

Still though. Missing Bolt Thrower because of thrown bolts... I'll remember that til my grave, lol.

I have gone the past few years and this year was definitely different in a not so good way. The curfew thing is what pissed me off the most but the security line on Sunday was just plain stupid especially the re-entry line during the day. I also missed Speedwolf and did not find out about the second set they played at 8pm because there was no real announcement. I wouldnt have missed Sleep for Speedwolf anyway. Last year there sets cut short but mostly because of equipment problems prior to the band starting and at least they were able to gracefully end their set before being cut off. That was the worst thing about this year. They even cut off Bolt Thrower during the intro to When Cannons Fade and though at least they got to say good night. The lack of the inside stage caused several of these problems and the audio in the "inside" stage this year sucked throughout most of the weekend. Last year the security was essentially a non problem and there were no holdups at the gates for initial daily entry or re-entry.

Sucks that you had to miss Bolt Thrower and I hope someone recorded the entire set. The tent was a fucking sauna during BT because of how many people were crammed in there on top of the insane pouring rain outside. Either you were soaked from the rain standing outside to watch or you were soaked with sweat inside the tent. I hope that next year when they finally move the fest to a new location, they have these things sorted out and it will be more like last year (literally one of the best weekends of my life).

jmdajr

I am really enjoying this book

I%20Am%20Ozzy.jpg

Is it better or worse than Th1rt3en?

Hmmm....tough one. IMHO, I enjoy Th1rt3en more. But Super Collider is a much more consistent album. Maybe I like Th1rt3en more because of the songs that aren't original to the album aside from Thirteen.

To put it into more perspective, I think Metallica's St. Anger is better than Super Collider. But thats because St. Anger feels like it has more passion and feeling behind it(considering what the band was going thru).

blahness

I'll be at the Richmond show tomorrow, depending on how I'm feeling. It's like 3 hours round trip but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Cobalt was good at MDF and I hope they come back round the Baltimore/DC area again soon. The Richmond show has Battlemaster opening. They are fucking awesome and are a treat to see live.

Vio-Lence

Banned
good call on Torn Apart, the guitar sound on the Pieces version is insane (well the whole album really), however my scope was limited to songs featuring Autopsy in the title :)

obin_gam

I got completly flabbergasted by this new ep: think Scale the summit but with more industrial overtones (sort of instrumental progressive industrial death/djent)
pREDnWp.jpg

The whole EP is downloadable on Bandcamp for name-your-price.

heavy as fuck.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
anybody else reading this?

41UXx1w9-CL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Its real good, just like the new Amon Amarth.

Perfect book to read while enjoying all the awesome new FUCKING METAL we'll be getting next month.

Toparaman

Banned
Thanks for the death metal solo suggestions everyone. Will listen when I have time.

Tesseract put out a music video for Singularity. It's...ahm......well I'll just give a NSFW warning and you can discover the rest for yourself.

Lacking in originality, I'd say.

I just started to get into Tesseract through the Metal Injection Livecast. Nocturne is a great track. Love the vocals on that song.

Fuck yes. And I thought God is Dead was pretty good, so if that's one of the weaker tracks, this is going to be a great album.

Here is a review of Super Collider:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/05/29/review-megadeths-super-collider-is-a-super-catastrophe/

I think he's being a bit harsh. But the song writing is really bad.

The guy who runs MetalSucks (Axl Rosenburg) is a bitter asshole. I used to like the site because it was a big improvement over BlabberMouth, but I got sick of the Kotaku-like constant outrage. Metal Injection is better (and funnier).

Kaladin

The guy who runs MetalSucks (Axl Rosenburg) is a bitter asshole. I used to like the site because it was a big improvement over BlabberMouth, but I got sick of the Kotaku-like constant outrage. Metal Injection is better (and funnier).

I agree. I used to frequent Metal Sucks and read everything on the site, but just got tired of the shtick they use on the website. Metal Injection is a better website overall, plus Rob is also a DJ on Liquid Metal on Sirius XM.

Re: death metal solos
Dismember's Like An Ever Flowing Stream has some good ones.

Entombed - Premature Autopsy - Bonus Track on Left Hand Path

or

Dismembered - Autopsy - from The God That Never Was

GO!
Entombed!
Carnage - Torn Apart

or

Dismember - Torn Apart
I think the Carnage version is slightly better because of the dirtier sound.
New Autopsy song "Arch Cadaver" up for streaming on npr

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/05/28/186921722/vikings-choice-back-from-the-grave-autopsy-awakens-an-arch-cadaver

Sounds fucking great. This is one of my most anticipated albums this year.
Not bad.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Cobalt was good at MDF and I hope they come back round the Baltimore/DC area again soon. The Richmond show has Battlemaster opening. They are fucking awesome and are a treat to see live.

I actually don't think I'll make it now. My sleep schedule is fucked and while driving there wouldn't be bad, parking will probably be nightmarish and I'd be dead tired driving back.

And chiming in on MetalSucks: I've gone there every day for a few years now, but they definitely have gotten pretty shite. Like 90% of their articles are garbage. Sometimes there'll be a good interview but that's about it. I mostly og now for tour news/new tracks or whatever.

Quackula

Hopefully the new Carcass album sounds good...

I'm pretty cautious when it comes to that one. They didn't exactly go out on a particularly great note, and like I said Autopsy is kinda an exception when it comes to quality post-reunion material.

Still, I'm hoping it turns out good. I'd love to be wrong on this.

I don't see how metalinjection is funnier, to me looks like a very average metal site, and metal webzines are usually quite dull, predictable and badly written. at least metalsucks tries to be witty and you can get a good laugh out of it sometimes.

If how they sounded at MDF is any indication, I think we may be in for a treat.

I'm not entirely worried about the actual songs/riffs themselves. I'm more worried about Andy Sneap fucking up the mix by over producing it like all his other albums he's worked on. I like my death metal savage and dirty sounding, not overly clean and soulless.

brinstar

I'm not entirely worried about the actual songs/riffs themselves. I'm more worried about Andy Sneap fucking up the mix by over producing it like all his other albums he's worked on. I like my death metal savage and dirty sounding, not overly clean and soulless.

Yeah, I'm the same way... I've been somewhat worried since the whole Colin leaving thing. But Bill has said he feels the same way about his mixes so hopefully they manage to avoid it sounding too clean...

jmdajr

I was literally in tears reading Ozzy's book last night. LOL. There is no way some of that shit can be true. Just unreal. Being how Ozzy is these days I often forget how fucking crazy he was. Just insane stuff.

FACE

Banned
Because they are jazzy mathcore, not metal.

I think I like you.

Try this one. That solo gives me chills every time.

iQa9wpKfbLgU4.gif

Entombed - Premature Autopsy - Bonus Track on Left Hand Path

or

Dismembered - Autopsy - from The God That Never Was

GO!

Premature Autopsy, the riff at ~2:20 obliterates everything on sight.

Entombed - Premature Autopsy because its fucking EARLY Entombed.

Carnage - Torn Apart

or

Dismember - Torn Apart

Dismember.

Toparaman

Banned
I don't see how metalinjection is funnier, to me looks like a very average metal site, and metal webzines are usually quite dull, predictable and badly written. at least metalsucks tries to be witty and you can get a good laugh out of it sometimes.

To be honest, I actually haven't spent much time reading Injection articles. But their LiveCast is hilarious (though pretty juvenile), and takes a lot of shots at the same people and bands MetalSucks does, without coming off as mean-spirited. This reading of Mustaine's autobiography is what got me interested in the LiveCast.

And this article puts in plain view what a douchebag Axl Rosenberg is.

I kinda wish Chuck had mantain the Mantas name
The name Death is kinda depressing and ironic knowing his fate :\

That's not irony. It's a depressing name even if he was still alive.

At the height of my Death fandom, I was this close to getting a Death t-shirt, but luckily I thought twice. Walking around campus with a shirt that says "Death" on it...probably not a way to make friends.

To be honest, I actually haven't spent much time reading Injection articles. But their LiveCast is hilarious (though pretty juvenile), and takes a lot of shots at the same people and bands MetalSucks does, without coming off as mean-spirited. This reading of Mustaine's autobiography is what got me interested in the LiveCast.

And this article puts in plain view what a douchebag Axl Rosenberg is.

That's not irony. It's a depressing name even if he was still alive.

At the height of my Death fandom, I was this close to getting a Death t-shirt, but luckily I thought twice. Walking around campus with a shirt that says "Death" on it...probably not a way to make friends.
I wear my Scream Bloody Gore T-Shit around the campus every week
come at me bro

ah well, I don't listen to podcasts, I was talking about news, reviews etc.

anyway, I don't know how I missed the news since it involves two of my favourite bands, but Chino Moreno of Deftones and the bassist, keyboardist and drummer formerly of Isis have recorded an album, out on june 25... there's a track here (warning: not really metal) http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15371-palms-patagonia/

Kaladin

Black Tusk have issued a preview for their new EP due out late July on Relapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=OGlwW8uXGJk

Savannah, Georgia’s heavy-rockin road dogs return to the fold with a stop-gap EP to hold us over between their raging last full length and their next. ‘Tend No Wounds’ is a 6 song/20 minute blast of high octane raging Southern rock/metal that merges the classic original backwoods metallic hardcore Black Tusk sound with the newer more polished rock based tunes the band has honed after years on the road on the road with bands like Baroness, Skeleton Witch, Mastodon, Kvelertak and more.

Love me some Black Tusk.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Fuck yes. Only Entombed can make simple hammer ons/pull offs sound fucking brutal with that crazy tone.

When I break it down objectively, the production is the main reason why LHP is my favorite DM album. The production on that album is far and away better than anything else in the genre (to my musical sensibilities). The guitar tone is perfect. It doesn't hurt that all the songs are good too, but it's that damn production that makes other albums sound impotent or lifeless by comparison.

The brightest lights burn out the fastest etc.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So, three ISIS members and Deftones's lead vocalist are putting out a new s/t LP as Palms this June, if you didn't know.

http://palmsband.com

Not sure what to think about it, but if it's your thing, now you know. Lacks the heavy, imo, but could be interesting.

Quackula

Unless those friends are into metal. Actually I doubt it'd be much of an aversion anyway.

Nobody seemed bothered by my Symbolic shirt in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom