• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm listening to Timo's new album, which I think isn't too bad.

Reviews thus far have been middling or so it seems...

What does GAF think?

Quackula

Then you have shit like Cannibal Corpse where the vocals are generic and awful sounding IMO. Lyrics are beyond horrible, but so is the band so I guess it fits them well.

Hey hey hey man Chris Barnes might be a blech vocalist but the Barnes era material has some real gems musically. Corpsegrinder era has some gems too.

Band's problem is that they put out way too much material. Do they even have anything left on the cutting room floor? They could probably compress their discography to about 1/2-1/3 of the size it is now if they'd cut out some of the fat.

Hey hey hey man Chris Barnes might be a blech vocalist but the Barnes era material has some real gems musically. Corpsegrinder era has some gems too.

Band's problem is that they put out way too much material. Do they even have anything left on the cutting room floor? They could probably compress their discography to about 1/2-1/3 of the size it is now if they'd cut out some of the fat.

As far as I'm concerned, Cannibal Corpse has one album that I can say is 100% good and has aged well without reservation and that's The Bleeding. Everything else is either ruined by garbage production or has way too much filler to make for a good sequential listen. Unfortunate stuff, because I grew up with that band and the nostalgia factor is super high with them.

Quackula

As far as I'm concerned, Cannibal Corpse has one album that I can say is 100% good and has aged well without reservation and that's The Bleeding. Everything else is either ruined by garbage production or has way too much filler to make for a good sequential listen. Unfortunate stuff, because I grew up with that band and the nostalgia factor is super high with them.

But Barnes's vocals sound really bad on The Bleeding. He's already got that Six Feet Under old man bark thing going on.

Also I'd maybe nominate Bloodthirst for being really solid from beginning to end.

EDIT: every time I mention Chris Barnes I end up listening to some of the Graveyard Classics covers on youtube. Listening to Chris Barnes butcher AC/DC songs never stops being funny.

FYC

Banned

Aww man I love Cannibal Corpse. The Bleeding is probably their best, but I think they have a very solid and consistent discography. Torture is fucking awesome as well.

Six Feet Under... Well, they range from completely terrible to pretty good. Haunted and Maximum Violence aren't too shabby, and their newer albums are supposed to be a surprising step up in quality.

On the other hand, you have Amerika The Brutal. What the fuck.

never listen to a cannibal corpse album before, now glad to this thread i'm hearing The Bleeding. this better be good

edit: just did. meh.

Aske

So, here's a question for ye. Lyrics you can't quite make out. Good or bad? I dunno how often I've listened to growling vocals or what have you and been totally clueless as to what the lyrics were but more often than not it's just the tone of the voice that would put me off rather than the lyrics themselves. A while later I end up coming across the actual lyrics and it's a penny dropping kind of moment.

How do the rest of ye cope with it?

I think of them as abstract vocals. They can create impressions of the lyrics that are just as evocative as distinct words. It's not different to listening to a band sing in a foreign language.

Audible, distinct lyrics can add a lot to the music, though they're also capable of ruining it.

never listen to a cannibal corpse album before, now glad to this thread i'm hearing The Bleeding. this better be good

I'd recommend Bloodthirst over The Bleeding.

Unleashing the Bloodthirsty

Blowtorch Slaughter

I was gonna say Eaten Back To Life is the most bearable since it's still got traces of old school death metal and kind of thrashy in a way.

The Bleeding's production is really flat to the point of making it a very monotonous album.

Bloodthirst got a little interesting, most notably with Colin Richardson producing it. So it sounds more brutal and less flat than all the previous Morrisound stuff Cannibal Corpse recorded there.

Here's the best cover of Cannibal Corpse "Hammered Smashed Face" on a bass clarinet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obinHg70l8U

Melchiah

I stumbled onto this band on friend's FB page this week, and found it pretty good.

Mortuus - Penetrations of Darkness
http://youtu.be/LbqreFg3D6w

Black Metal Band From Umeå,Sweden
Album:De contemplanda Morte; De Reverencie laboribus Ac Adorationis(Full Length 2007)
Lyrical Themes:The Death of All, Spiritual Death-Worship
Mortuus is a black metal band with a slower paced style using heavy guitars echoing from beyond the grave, deep vocals praising death and occult lyrics that gives a dark and gloomy sensation of rot and decay.
The band was formed in Umeå, Sweden in 2003 by the current band members J. Kvarnbrink (aka Tehôm)(bass/guitars/vocals) and M. Hinze (drums).
Tehôm handles the vocals and guitars along with Mika and has previously played bass with Dödfödd(Stillborn) and Shade of Black as a guitarist and as a vocalist in Shade of Black. M. Hinze is active in Ondskapt as a drummer and used to play in Shade of Black as a drummer, bassist and as a backup vocalist
-All rights belong to their respective owners-

~LYRICS~
Rhepera is in her hiding, and the church bells are silent now
the inner starvation has bred an emotionless madness,
breeding desires so dark... in these abodes of awful forms

I am becoming - incarnated,
the breath of complete pervertion!

soil is spread upon the ground, her sleep disturbed
and their sorrow shall turn into horror in the morning
but the moon rests in darkness now...
for how could it shine in the light of the black sun?

the lights are all exploding at their presence...
for there are many here, many here...
yet there is light: tombstones radiate a glare unearthly
a strange glow, growing stronger at each movement

the metamorphosis of an angel turning into a beast
is progressing in this unholy marriage of life and death
I wear this lower crown, at the throne of shells
for death is my bride...
in these abodes of awful forms

A fitting song for summer. ;)

Quackula

I was gonna say Eaten Back To Life is the most bearable since it's still got traces of old school death metal and kind of thrashy in a way.

Eaten's easily the one I go back to the most often, for pretty much those exact reasons.

It's kinda weird how insanely big the band is. I mean, it's not like they're particularly accessible or anything.

SOME-MIST

now that Tymon publicly released Exivious - Entrust (the title track to luminal) I don't feel nearly as bad posting it on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPN0N9rzrk

behold... my most anticipated release and one of the best progressive jazz metal tracks I've heard in awhile. Tymon (ex-Cynic) and Robin Zielhorst (ex-Cynic) are both incredible.

7252_10151965749493662_956685162_n.jpg

Aske

It's kinda weird how insanely big the band is. I mean, it's not like they're particularly accessible or anything.

At some point in the 90s they became the one death metal band everyone outside of metal knew about. I remember seeing their shirts for sale everywhere. I know they appeared in Ace Ventura at the request of Jim Carrey, but I seem to recall they were well known before then. I agree that they weren't especially accessible, and there were far more controversial bands that might have captured the interest of the public. Does anyone remember why CC became so notorious?

Aske

There were stories about them chainsawing cows on stage etc. in 90s

Huh. And wikipedia says they drew the ire of a few politicians too, which I'm sure gave them a lot of press. Funny they ended up on the radar rather than, say, Deicide, with all the Satanic stuff in addition to the violent lyrical content. Some researcher probably walked into a record store and grabbed whichever death metal albums had the most outlandish covers.

well I'm going to give another spin or two to Sunbather for sure, I find this kind of unorthodox black metal very interesting.

Subather is my number one and Teethed Glory and Injury is my number two, they're both super good. But wow, Sunbather is like crack, I've probably listened to it at least 7 times through already, Vertigo and Dream House are my favorite tracks, but the whole thing needs to be heard beginning to end.

I still haven't listened to a lot of stuff from this year though...new Boris, Kylesa, Cathedral, Summoning, etc.

holy shit you guys I'm seeing Bolt Thrower tomorrow and it doesn't feel like real life

The first half of When Cannons Fade is undoubtedly my favorite segment of music in all of death metal. I'm predicting severe neck injuries during this song tomorrow night

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just gonna go ahead and say that Sunbather is easily the best album I have heard so far this year.
It is pretty damn solid. "Dream House" and the title track are both unbelievable. Such a step up over their old stuff.

Oh fuck Bolt Thrower is in Chicago this weekend!

FUCK FUCK FUCK!

:'(

Well I guess next on my list is Helloween. Maybe Gigantour to see Newsted, Hellyeah and Black Label.

But Barnes's vocals sound really bad on The Bleeding. He's already got that Six Feet Under old man bark thing going on.

Also I'd maybe nominate Bloodthirst for being really solid from beginning to end.

EDIT: every time I mention Chris Barnes I end up listening to some of the Graveyard Classics covers on youtube. Listening to Chris Barnes butcher AC/DC songs never stops being funny.

Say what you will about Chris Barnes' vocals. He's directly responsible (for better or worse) for an entire generation of grunting and screaming on metal albums, myself included. He's really the guy that popularized that style. It's just that he burned himself out and went downhill pretty fast as a result. Too much weed.

I actually find that there's at least one or two sings on all their albums I like. It's just that there's usually 5 or 6 songs that I don't.

Melchiah

I just found an old gig video from 1998 of my old band Enochian Crescent on YouTube, when Hahto (Rotten Sound, Swallow the Sun, Wintersun) was playing drums in the band, and when I still had hair on my head. =) Pretty amusing watching it after 15 years.

http://youtu.be/erNPEI3O5Tk

Say what you will about Chris Barnes' vocals. He's directly responsible (for better or worse) for an entire generation of grunting and screaming on metal albums, myself included. He's really the guy that popularized that style.

Disagree.
Tell that to Kam Lee (Death/Mantas), Jeff Becerra (Possessed), Scott Carlson (Repulsion), Paul Speckman (Master)

Greetings, Metal-GAF.

I am a newbie and this is my first post in this thread. Since I'm going to hang out here frequently I just wanted to say 'hello' to everybody.

I'm a metal fan since 1996 (everything startet back then with Blind Guardian, Metallica, Manowar and the German goth band Crematory) and listen to pretty much everything from Motorhead to stuff like 3 Inches of Blood and from Rush to Bolt Thrower.

My favorite band of all time however is Iron Maiden. Only yesterday two buddies and I got wasted, watched a 'Live at Rock am Ring' concert and debated over our favorite songs.

Other than that I listened to a lot of atmospheric (black) metal in the last few weeks. Bands like Agalloch and Woods of Ypres are perfect to shut out the world and just drown in the music.

Disagree.
Tell that to Kam Lee (Death/Mantas), Jeff Becerra (Possessed), Scott Carlson (Repulsion), Paul Speckman (Master)

All of these have a distinctly different style compared to Chris Barnes. Chis Barnes is THE guy that a whole generation of bands with names that begin with D started.

I dunno what's happening to me these days but the only Death Metal vocals I can stand are from Chuck Schuldiner. The rest just seems they are raging barking at the microphone without any sense of notes whatsoever. Bill's vocals from Carcass are cool in my book too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom