• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ceres said:
Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through the Looking Glass
Awesome DVD, live versions of Mordred's Song, Bard's Song and Valhalla are sooooo much better than cd versions.

I was planning seeing them in July on Metalcamp (seen them before, in 2006 ), but my GF reserved trip to Toscana for that weekend. :(

Went to see Prong at Glasgow Cathouse last Thursday.

Tommy Victor still going strong, great show nearly 20 years after I first saw them supporting Faith No More on The Real Thing Tour (which was Prong's Beg to Differ album)

Played a pretty good mix of new and older material, my personal favourite was probably For Dear Life, sounded as fresh now as ever.

Oh, and Tommy is such a great guitarist - criminally underrated king of harmonics!

Mileena

Banned
Kalmah%2B-%2BSwampsong.jpg

SO GOOD.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
234237eb1af.jpg

Artillery - When Death Comes

Inevitably this album has some modern thrash elements to it, but at the core, it still sounds a lot like By Inheritance. Great comeback album for Artillery.

Sandman42

226405.jpg

Just got around to listening to the new Tyr album.

It reminds me why I like Tyr, they always have some pretty fun songs.

Check it out!

Ceres

Banned
Galactic Cowboys is reuniting for three shows in Texas this summer.

Thursday August 13th (pending) The Door in Dallas

Friday August 14th (pending) Stubb's in Austin

Saturday August 15th (confirmed) Warehouse Live in Houston

Sandman42

Phobophile said:
234237eb1af.jpg

Artillery - When Death Comes

Inevitably this album has some modern thrash elements to it, but at the core, it still sounds a lot like By Inheritance. Great comeback album for Artillery.
Just checked it out, pretty awesome. It's up there with Hordes of Chaos for best thrash release of 09.

Ecrofirt

I bought HolyHell's new debut album the other day, and I'm liking it a lot. They're Symphonic Power Metal with a female lead vocalist.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Sandman42 said:
Just checked it out, pretty awesome. It's up there with Hordes of Chaos for best thrash release of 09.
Listen to this:
69gj9k.jpg

I like HoC a lot though, but this is better, especially for a debut album.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Good to see other people are listening to Mantic Ritutal. I was pimping it so hard a few weeks ago in a shortly-lived thrash metal thread.

They're actually touring right now. I'm planning on seeing them next week in the Chicagoland area (Mokena).

Sandman42

Phobophile said:
Good to see other people are listening to Mantic Ritutal. I was pimping it so hard a few weeks ago in a shortly-lived thrash metal thread.

They're actually touring right now. I'm planning on seeing them next week in the Chicagoland area (Mokena).
They have a very old school sound with solo's that sound like they could be on Kill 'Em All. :D

This year has already been much better than last year for thrash. We also still have the new Municipal Waste coming up.

edit: Almost forgot new Heathen and Evile

Im in need of more black metal.

Atmospheric/Ambient black metal such as later Buzum and Drudkh have been in my rotation quite a bit lately.

Any suggestions to go on from there?

Ravager61

sub_zer0 said:

Atmospheric/Ambient black metal such as later Buzum and Drudkh have been in my rotation quite a bit lately.

Heres a few albums you might enjoy. I tried to make the list diverse but they all have ambient/atmospheric elements.

Weakling - Dead As Dreams
Summoning - Stronghold
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I
Krallice - Krallice

Sandman42

JimmyV said:
So you guys consider Dream Theater metal? I just heard their new album, fucking great! And their covers are top notch!
Of course Dream Theater is metal. They are progressive metal, but still very much metal.

The new album is pretty damn good. At this point in their career you couldn't really ask for more. I agree about the covers too, Dream Theater always does good covers.

Noobie Noobinson and the Double Boomskees - Season 2

1730896556-1.png

Not all metal, but some... it's like... Sci-Fi Metal, or something.

Specifically:
  • The Ownarians
  • Palace of Possibility
  • Wolversville Riff Orphanage
  • The Hamptons
  • On Time Arrival

JimmyV said:
So you guys consider Dream Theater metal? I just heard their new album, fucking great! And their covers are top notch!

Hell yeah man! Prog Metal ftw!

The solo at the end of The Best of Times is incredible.

Sandman42

Hey Metal-GAF quick question. Is Meshuggah worth getting into?

I've heard a couple tracks but I haven't a clue where to begin with this band. I really like their guitar-tone and some of the awesome progressive style riffs. I just haven't heard much about the band and wanted to get a general opinion on them.

Any Meshuggah fans on GAF?

I_D

Sandman42 said:

I've heard a couple tracks but I haven't a clue where to begin with this band. I really like their guitar-tone and some of the awesome progressive style riffs. I just haven't heard much about the band and wanted to get a general opinion on them.

Meshuggah is a fantastic band.

Their old (really old) stuff sounds like a Metallica cover band's attempt at making an album, but once they got their own identity, they really proved how much they kick ass.

Ravager61

Sandman42 said:

I've always thought Meshuggah was pretty boring tbh. Their new one wasn't too bad though.

Mileena

Banned
Sandman42 said:

Yes, they're amazing.
Check out Contradictions Collapse, Nothing, and Destroy Erase Improve first. If you don't like those three albums, you won't ever like Meshuggah.

Lionheart1827 said:
Hell yeah man! Prog Metal ftw!

The solo at the end of The Best of Times is incredible.

Good lord is it ever. One of JP's best, which is saying something.

The beginning and ending of The Count of Tuscany are really incredible. The beggining especially is just so peaceful and serene sounding. Maybe not the thing to be saying in a metal thread but it's just....perfect.

From a musical standpoint this may be the best album DT has put out since Scenes from a Memory, unfortunately this is also the most I've disliked the lyrics in a Dream Theater album ever, and Labrie's vocals can't sell poor lyrics the way they used to be able to. Still, it's growing on me.

I love metal, but to be honest I think DT is at their best when they're not trying to be heavy. They end up having a heavy feel just due to all the time changes anyway. Lyrically, though, this "dark master" and "angels of the devil" stuff just has to go. It just sounds stupid coming from Dream Theater.

blahness

NameGenerated said:
Listen to this:
69gj9k.jpg

I like HoC a lot though, but this is better, especially for a debut album.

Thank you for this reccomendation... listening to it now and it is awesome old school thrash.

Flynn

sub_zer0 said:

Did nobody mention Wolves in the Throne Room?

And yeah, that Weakling record is amazing.

I'll echo the sentiments about the new Dream Theater. Best thing they've put out in awhile. The Count of Tuscany is incredible.

and that brings me to the subject of the metal-archives.com.
such a weird website. it's like a warped reality in metal.

how the hell is Dream Theater's "Awake" the highest rated album? That seriously baffles me.

Just found this thread.

Can you guys recommend some good metal with female leads?

Can't seem to find that Holyhell album. Sounds interesting.

Ceres

Banned
Maleficent said:
Just found this thread.

It's only available online right now. You can hear stuff at myspace though.

Anyway.... I'll just refer you to a previous post I made here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15731156&postcount=1371

Also, along the lines of Holyhell, maybe check out Luca Turilli's Dreamquest. Female vocals on top Rhapsody of Fire/Luca Turilli type symphonic metal - minus the dragons.

JimmyV

Banned
Maleficent said:
Just found this thread.

In This Moment. Okay well I guess their kind of a niche, but give them a listen to anyway. Also, for what tis worth, Nightwish. Definitely Nightwish. NOA!

Ceres

Banned
JimmyV said:
In This Moment. Okay well I guess their kind of a niche, but give them a listen to anyway. Also, for what tis worth, Nightwish. Definitely Nightwish. NOA!

Meh. The Agonist is a better listen than In This Moment although there's a hell of a lot more screaming. Especially compared to ITM's new release.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm sure I've asked this at some point this thread...but are there any bands out there similar to Opeth? I'm looking more for bands that incorporate a lot of the clean and acoustic/folksey aspects into their songs.

Also, any bands out there with really standout drummers? Doesn't necessarily have to be metal. I'm looking for a lot of subtelty in the drums, as demonstrated in Opeth - Watershed. Not a fan of blast beats at all.

Last question...what are the better CDs of Epica? I checked out a few songs on YouTube. The vocalist is amazing...but the death growler is awwwwful, and the choir is incredibly cheesy. Their lyrics seem pretty terrible as well. I just want something that demos off the vocalist really well.

edit: well, I was gonna buy DT's new album off iTunes on the go...Apple limits anything over 12MB on 3G. You lost my money Apple.

For the best anyways, I'll pick up the physical album instead.

JimmyV

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
I'll echo the sentiments about the new Dream Theater. Best thing they've put out in awhile. The Count of Tuscany is incredible.

and that brings me to the subject of the metal-archives.com.
such a weird website. it's like a warped reality in metal.

how the hell is Dream Theater's "Awake" the highest rated album? That seriously baffles me.

Their highest rated or overall, where do you see the rankings list? If overall I'd assume since people who even care to write about DT actually appreciate and enjoy their music, where as hundred of people will write how Metallica sucks because Cliff died, even if they can care less. Kinda like the fanboys on metacritic and rotten tomoatoes.

JimmyV

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Also, any bands out there with really standout drummers? Doesn't necessarily have to be metal. I'm looking for a lot of subtelty in the drums, as demonstrated in Opeth - Watershed. Not a fan of blast beats at all.

I really like John Bonham from Led Zeppelin. The Good Times and the Bad(errr, I think thats the name), has an amazing drum segment in the opening.

Ceres

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm sure I've asked this at some point this thread...but are there any bands out there similar to Opeth? I'm looking more for bands that incorporate a lot of the clean and acoustic/folksey aspects into their songs.

Last question...what are the better CDs of Epica? I checked out a few songs on YouTube. The vocalist is amazing...but the death growler is awwwwful, and the choir is incredibly cheesy. Their lyrics seem pretty terrible as well. I just want something that demos off the vocalist really well.

I usually mention Riverside for people who want the mellow side and clean vocals of Opeth. They're a prog rock band. It's not really a huge match but others have agreed with me on this.

Can't think of anything off the top of my head for the second question.

For nongrowling minimal choir Epica songs.
Dance of Fate
Solitary Ground
Black Infinity
Quietus
Trois Vieraes (with Roy Khan)
Chasing the Dream
Never Enough (very minimal growling during the chorus)
Safeguard to Paradise
Sancta Terra (kind of heavy on the choir)
Feint
Run For A Fall
Oddly enough quickly going through the songs like this makes me realize just how much Simone's vocals have improved since Phantom Agony.

Almost all their music is based around themes which can make them seem pretty hokey. Especially Consign to Oblivion which is about the Mayan Civilization. In general a lot of their music is about religion, especially the latest, Divine Conspiracy. The idea behind it is that God created many different religions for humanity to figure out and overcome them so as to discover that, in nature and essence, they were all in fact the same one.

Another good idea is to check out After Forever since their early work sounds very similar (songwriter for Epica used to be in After Forever). Their newer stuff was far more along the lines of progressive than symphonic metal. I've always prefered AF over Epica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom