• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
666rj.jpg

awww yeah 666

This was possibly my first taste of metal growing up. So good.

The entire OST is just made up of some fantastic riffs. Are there other games that featured some original metal? I can't think of others but they must exist, surely... right?

Quackula

As a band, Suffocation is just as influential if not more so, but there's a very specific type of growl screech growl style I'm referring to here.

I don't know, when I think of the sort of vocals I think you're talking about, I'm not really hearing an attempt at mimicking what Chris Barnes was doing. Maybe more of an attempt at hitting the kind of stuff you'd hear in Carcass?

Not that I'm denying that CC and Barnes were influential. I think it's kinda hard to pinpoint this sort of thing, in all likelihood it was probably a combination of all of these.

Kaladin

Here's a revelation, apparently the album version of Black Sabbath's "God Is Dead?" is 17:12 instead of the 9 minutes or whatever the single is at. Maybe they clipped out the awesome part of the song?

Here's a revelation, apparently the album version of Black Sabbath's "God Is Dead?" is 17:12 instead of the 9 minutes or whatever the single is at. Maybe they clipped out the awesome part of the song?

I was pretty disappointed of the song, so there is hope that the full version will deliver.

But to me best Sabbath has always been Dio Sabbath. Never cared very much for Ozzy's voice.

Kaladin

The song run times are all on Amazon:

1. End Of The Beginning 8:06
2. God Is Dead? 17:12
3. Loner 4:59
4. Zeitgeist 4:37
5. Age Of Reason 7:01
6. Live Forever 4:46
7. Damaged Soul 7:51
8. Dear Father 7:20
9. Methademic 5:58
10. Peace Of Mind 3:40
11. Pariah 5:34

FACE

Banned
I don't know why we're having this discussion again, everyone knows the best Sabbath album is The Eternal Idol.

pablito

Greetings, Metal-GAF.

I am a newbie and this is my first post in this thread. Since I'm going to hang out here frequently I just wanted to say 'hello' to everybody.

I'm a metal fan since 1996 (everything startet back then with Blind Guardian, Metallica, Manowar and the German goth band Crematory) and listen to pretty much everything from Motorhead to stuff like 3 Inches of Blood and from Rush to Bolt Thrower.

My favorite band of all time however is Iron Maiden. Only yesterday two buddies and I got wasted, watched a 'Live at Rock am Ring' concert and debated over our favorite songs.

Other than that I listened to a lot of atmospheric (black) metal in the last few weeks. Bands like Agalloch and Woods of Ypres are perfect to shut out the world and just drown in the music.

have you listened to negura bunget? om is a modern ('atmo')black metal classic.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This was possibly my first taste of metal growing up. So good.

The entire OST is just made up of some fantastic riffs. Are there other games that featured some original metal? I can't think of others but they must exist, surely... right?

Super Meat Boy's soundtrack was basically a metal/chiptune hybrid (with other genres at times for different themes) that worked really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIqZ86GL3CY

Greetings, Metal-GAF.

I am a newbie and this is my first post in this thread. Since I'm going to hang out here frequently I just wanted to say 'hello' to everybody.

I'm a metal fan since 1996 (everything startet back then with Blind Guardian, Metallica, Manowar and the German goth band Crematory) and listen to pretty much everything from Motorhead to stuff like 3 Inches of Blood and from Rush to Bolt Thrower.

My favorite band of all time however is Iron Maiden. Only yesterday two buddies and I got wasted, watched a 'Live at Rock am Ring' concert and debated over our favorite songs.

Other than that I listened to a lot of atmospheric (black) metal in the last few weeks. Bands like Agalloch and Woods of Ypres are perfect to shut out the world and just drown in the music.

hi there. you're clearly more metal than me, you will enjoy the thread.

Kaladin

Friends. I have good news and bad news.

The good news: Black Sabbath's 13 is streaming in it's entirety.

The bad news: it is streaming via iTunes.

You have to have iTunes downloaded to listen to this. You should be able to find it on the album's page on the store.

blahness

You have to have iTunes downloaded to listen to this. You should be able to find it on the album's page on the store.

At least they were able to digitally manipulate Ozzy's voice enough that he sounds alright. Seeing the live clips of some of these new songs made me cringe.

I never thought about it but it is very well possible that my first contact with metal music was through videogames, more specifically thanks to thunder force IV. I remember plugging my earplugs playing the soundtrack repeteadly because I loved it so fucking much. I don't remember doing that with many other games.

Here are some songs, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELA0Q94URw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPcte3BlPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And here's the whole soundtrack! woooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSamm93uCE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hmm, interesting. The God Is Dead? on iTunes appears to be the single version, it's still eight minutes.

Maybe Amazon just had a typo?

Came to post this. I gotta wait until I get home. First impressions?

Logic says if they're going to clip a song for a single (stupid as fuck practice for metal btw) then they're going to clip the instrumental parts of the song and keep the vocal portions.

I get the clipping if they want radio play. But the song is still 9 mins so yeah it doesnt make sense in this case. I hope it really is 17 mins and theres some killer solos, not more "singing".

Kaladin

I just finished my first listen, might save another listen for when I get the album. It's good, and great in some parts. I'm sure I'll like more of it with further listens. Lyrically, the songs don't stand up to the classic Ozzy Sabbath anthems. They're close enough otherwise though. I doubt any of these songs will reach the status of Iron Man or War Pigs or Paranoid any time soon.

Edit: and nobody in OT cares about Black Sabbath......typical.

I love everything from the S/T up to Sabotage + Heaven and Hell (typical). Just kinda gave up on them and didn't care after a certain point for new albums, just like how I don't really care for Maiden's new material either.

From what I heard on the radio the other day, it's not bad, but i'm not excited about it.

Kaladin

I love everything from the S/T up to Sabotage + Heaven and Hell (typical). Just kinda gave up on them and didn't care after a certain point for new albums, just like how I don't really care for Maiden's new material either.

From what I heard on the radio the other day, it's not bad, but i'm not excited about it.

I think that's going to be the general reaction to it. It's not bad, maybe even great in parts but there is nothing to get really excited about like people did the early stuff.

I just finished my first listen, might save another listen for when I get the album. It's good, and great in some parts. I'm sure I'll like more of it with further listens. Lyrically, the songs don't stand up to the classic Ozzy Sabbath anthems. They're close enough otherwise though. I doubt any of these songs will reach the status of Iron Man or War Pigs or Paranoid any time soon.

I'm actually enjoying it quite a lot, it's a pretty great album. It's typical doom metal Sabbath, I'm just glad that it's nothing like Ozzy's solo records. It's by no means up there with the classics, but it's easily a far more enjoyable album than Never Say Die, Technical Ecstasy and Forbidden.

If anyone's interested, I actually just made an OT for the album: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575825

Blackheim

Eh, listened to the new Sabbath. Don't like it, aside from a few nice moments. The storm/rain outro is a nice callback I guess and would seem to signify that this is it. Sabbath began with it and now will end their recorded output with it is what I take from it. Not going to buy it, frankly 13 doesn't stand with the original material on any level, nor is it even within shouting distance.

I would definitely disagree it's better or even close to Technical Ecstasy & Never Say Die!. No songs on 13 are even close to You Won't Change Me, It's Alright, Gypsy, She's Gone, Dirty Women,, Never Say Die, Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, A Hard Road, Shockwave, Airdance or Over To You. Then again, Ozzy's vocals are just as big a part of that classic Sabbath sound as the riffs for me and Ozzy has lost it :/

Eh, listened to the new Sabbath. Don't like it, aside from a few nice moments. The storm/rain outro is a nice callback I guess and would seem to signify that this is it. Sabbath began with it and now will end their recorded output with it is what I take from it. Not going to buy it, frankly 13 doesn't stand with the original material on any level, nor is it even within shouting distance.

I would definitely disagree it's better or even close to Technical Ecstasy & Never Say Die!. No songs on 13 are even close to You Won't Change Me, It's Alright, Gypsy, She's Gone, Dirty Women,, Never Say Die, Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, A Hard Road, Shockwave, Airdance or Over To You. Then again, Ozzy's vocals are just as big a part of that classic Sabbath sound as the riffs for me and Ozzy has lost it :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrTZweHXTI

The whole 13 album still is far far away from this single song in quality.
Sabbath is just a shadow of itself now.

So I've been listening to the Super Collider commentary on Spotify. Its like the commentary if for an album that never got made. If I listened to the commentary first then Super Collider I'd be so damn devastated. I think I'm just going to listen to the commentary and imagine how great the songs could have been.

ShaneB

I never thought about it but it is very well possible that my first contact with metal music was through videogames, more specifically thanks to thunder force IV. I remember plugging my earplugs playing the soundtrack repeteadly because I loved it so fucking much. I don't remember doing that with many other games.

Here are some songs, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELA0Q94URw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPcte3BlPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And here's the whole soundtrack! woooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSamm93uCE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thunder Force always has an awesome soundtrack, and since you mention it, I guess my interest in "metal" music is deeply rooted from how much I loved those NES soundtracks. Pretty much laden with 2 guitar style harmonies, certainly has far back as how much I still love something as classic as Mega Man 2. I use to always spend so much time in those sound test modes for games and record them with my cassette player mic.

Cactus

Banned
Eh, I like the new Sabbath. Production is a lot cleaner and Ozzy definitely can't hit notes like he used to, but the songs themselves are pretty good. Iommi's guitar work in particular is outstanding, and Butler is a beast, as always. It was never going to be an instant classic, but I'm happy that the album at least doesn't tarnish their legacy.

As a side note, I think the song they chose to use as a single (God Is Dead?) is probably the worst song on the album. Strange.

...and I do think it's better than Technical Ecstasy.

jmdajr

Is the new Megadeth that bad?

I mean I'm a huge fan of Youthanasia and Cryptic Writtings not just Peace Sealls and Rust.

If I liked those albums would I like this? It doesn't have to be thrash/speed metal.

I have all their albums except Risk.

Kaladin

Yes! I missed Wintersun last time they where in Chicago I'll catch them this time!

Unfortunately, they're playing Atlanta the one week I can't get up there to see them because I will already be broke after attending a three day music festival headlined by Black Flag.

Is the new Megadeth that bad?

I mean I'm a huge fan of Youthanasia and Cryptic Writtings not just Peace Sealls and Rust.

If I liked those albums would I like this? It doesn't have to be thrash/speed metal.

I have all their albums except Risk.

I listened to it today. It's probably their weakest album since Risk. It's worth checking out to see if you like it...it has some good guitar on it as usual but, it's not really all that great. FYI, I'm a fan of all of their stuff except Risk.

I think the word that describes it best is forgettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom