• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So yeah, the new Children of Bodom really is pretty decent. Shout out to Metal-GAF for the heads up, because I never would have checked it out otherwise. That band has disappointed me for so long, I'm impressed that they pulled this one out.

The new Sabbath, on the other hand, is a bore thus far. Some solid Iommi riffs, but it's just dull as I finish my first play through.

I did not retain a single song off of that thing.

So yeah, the new Children of Bodom really is pretty decent. Shout out to Metal-GAF for the heads up, because I never would have checked it out otherwise. That band has disappointed me for so long, I'm impressed that they pulled this one out.

The new Sabbath, on the other hand, is a bore thus far. Some solid Iommi riffs, but it's just dull as I finish my first play through.

Yeah new Sabbath picks up about half-way thru, but it doesn't give me the feels I'd expect from a Sabbath album. It feels like it drags and sadly I can recall more from my listen of Super Collider than I can the new Sabbath. *goes back to listening to Dehumanizer*

Kaladin

Did anyone watch/listen to that SiriusXM Black Sabbath special? The host was all over on selling the crowd and viewers/listeners that album. Something like "If you don't like it, you need to have your ears cut off." Talk about a hype man. I guess he wanted to keep his job on Sirius since one of the two metal stations is an Ozzy station. The only revelation from the Sabbath interview for me was that Zeitgeist and Dear Father were jams that the band didn't expect to appear on the album. I actually enjoyed Zeitgeist even if it does sound exactly like Planet Caravan in parts.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I though broderick decided to end the project?

Not from what I can tell.

From a May 19th, 2013 interview:

Since the Godflesh reunion you've played less with Jesu...

JKB: Yeah, but we are about to come and do more stuff.

So you will keep both projects running.

JKB: Absolutely. Doing the Godflesh thing really did consume me again. But I spent two years doing a new Jesu album. And I've just finished it, literally finished it the weekend before coming on this tour. I finished it on Friday. Now it's about to go into press in the next three weeks I think. And that will come out in August.
The great thing is that it's really distant from Godflesh even more. It's even more melancholy, even more sad, even less metal. It sounds more like Joy Division, which is what I intended it to be from the start. Now that Godflesh exists, I can make Jesu even more like a post-punk band. And it sounds like a post-punk record. After the first album, it is like post-punk. I even got an Italian guy who plays a whole orchestra on it, which is just amazing. It's the boldest Jesu record.

[...]

So it's been inspirational to do Godflesh and immerse myself in it and then go back to Jesu and rethink the whole thing and think how I really want Jesu to be. It doesn't need to have as much of the heaviness anymore, just the heavy mood.
Some people say the first Jesu album is the most impressing but this new one is the most impressing record I've ever made. The title is a long one, it's Every day I get closer to the light from which I came. So it's just my preoccupation with death basically. (laughs)

Don't know how I feel about "less metal" but Broadrick is always pushing it in interesting ways, so we'll see.

Kaladin

A channel with nonstop Ozzy? That's most worse than modern top 40 stations

It's the classic metal station. It's called Ozzy's Boneyard but they play all the classic metal bands from that era. It's formatted to hell and back, so they don't always go that far beyond the mainstream classics but it's a good station.

Same here, surprised it's not being talked about more in this thread. Good blend of black metal and post rock, hopefully it serves as a gateway for people looking to get further into black metal.

well I don't think it fully deserves the hype, it may change with further listens but right now I think it's a good, maybe very good, album, and not much more.

Vio-Lence

Banned
It's the classic metal station. It's called Ozzy's Boneyard but they play all the classic metal bands from that era. It's formatted to hell and back, so they don't always go that far beyond the mainstream classics but it's a good station.

The Boneyard was better before they rebranded it "Ozzy's" Boneyard. It's no coincidence they stopped playing all Dio and Dio-era Sabbath after the name change. God damn Sharon is a cunt.

Kaladin

The Boneyard was better before they rebranded it "Ozzy's" Boneyard. It's no coincidence they stopped playing all Dio and Dio-era Sabbath after the name change. God damn Sharon is a cunt.

I love how the description on Ozzy's Boneyard's Sirius XM page still says the station will feature shows from Sharon, Jack and Kelly. Yeah, they're nowhere to be found on the station now.

Decent lineup for my the next show I'm going to (loud is the name of the event)

bergenfest-loud339.jpg

Any lineup with Immortal is an excellent lineup! Btw, I demand a new album!

Same here, surprised it's not being talked about more in this thread. Good blend of black metal and post rock, hopefully it serves as a gateway for people looking to get further into black metal.

It's been talked about a couple of times on previous pages, with at least 4 different posters praising it iirc.

I've listened to it a bit on youtube, sounded pretty nice. I think I'll get so I can listen to it in full. I also found two songs fron the new Jex Thoth album. Unfortunately, they were rather uninteresting :( A shame as the self titled is pretty awesome :( If anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYB2yrOPG8c and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAvwd_UHUI

Ravager61

Sunbather is easily my favorite album so far this year. Metal or not. It is a masterpiece.

Also, I stopped off at the record store on the way home today and found copies of Nuclear Assault - Game Over and Eyehategod - Dopesick. It's been a good day.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Really liking this one, some good atmospheric black metal from the UK;

http://arsaidh.bandcamp.com

Incidentally, has anyone else here got a fan account on bandcamp? Looking for more people to follow - here's mine; http://bandcamp.com/bootaaay

I have an artist account on bandcamp...that I need to put music on when I finish a small EP I've been too lazy to finish. Not metal music though.

BTW, you got some mad taste.

Not sure if this was posted in the thread yet or not, but apparently there is a new Jesu full-length coming out in August.

I dont really have high hopes for it. I love Jesu, but it's been really unpredictable (which can be a good thing I guess), but the last few releases Opiate Sun, Infinity, and Ascension were all boring.

How about an Arghoslent cover on a violin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSYhd787FjQ

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Just out of curiosity, is everyone's favorite Mastodon album Remission?

I hold that one and Crack the Skye in very high regard, but I dont think they have a bad release, every album is good. Whats the Metal-Gaf consensus on best Mastodon?

Kaladin

I hold that one and Crack the Skye in very high regard, but I dont think they have a bad release, every album is good. Whats the Metal-Gaf consensus on best Mastodon?

My favorite is Crack The Skye. I've seen them play it live in full twice and it never gets old.

Kaladin

As of this moment, my 15 favorite metal albums of 2013 (so far) in alphabetical order by artist name:

Ancient VVisdom - Deathlike
The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
Black Sabbath - 13
Ghost - Infestissumam
Hessian - Manegarmr
Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
Kylesa - Ultraviolet
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Steven Wilson - The Raven Who Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Terror - Live By The Code
Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats - Mind Control
Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
Warbeast - Destroy

I keep a running playlist of my top 40 albums every year, and those 15 are the only ones of the 40 that were metal or somewhat metal. Most of the other albums in the lists were Americana, country and roots music.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
As of this moment, my 15 favorite metal albums of 2013 (so far) in alphabetical order by artist name:

Ancient VVisdom - Deathlike
The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
Black Sabbath - 13
Ghost - Infestissumam
Hessian - Manegarmr
Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
Kylesa - Ultraviolet
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Steven Wilson - The Raven Who Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Terror - Live By The Code
Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats - Mind Control
Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
Warbeast - Destroy

I keep a running playlist of my top 40 albums every year, and those 15 are the only ones of the 40 that were metal or somewhat metal. Most of the other albums in the lists were Americana, country and roots music.

No love for Halo of Blood?

I like their proggy albums more. Crack the Skye has probably their best songs (Oblivion and especially The Czar) but overall my fav is Blood Mountain.

fallout

Guys, I don't feel like listening to voices today.

I need some instrumental recommendations. Aside from Metallica and Malmsteen.
There's an instrumental version of Wintersun's Time I out there. I usually default to Animals as Leaders or Cloudkicker whenever I'm in that mood.

Kaladin

When I'm more in the mood for instrumentals, I'm usually in the mood to space out. I go for more progressive stuff. Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Grateful Dead, stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom