• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

firen

It feels really good to hear Children Of Bodom put out a good album again!

aPhrSdQ.jpg

Damaged Beyond Repair
Scream For Silence
Halo Of Blood

Kaladin

I was cleaning today and came across this blast from the past:

I got this Skeletonwitch setlist from a tour supporting The Black Dahlia Murder with Toxic Holocaust and Trap Them....that was a hell of a show. I actually met Skeletonwitch after their set and got the entire band to sign this.

One of my favorite modern thrash bands.

Flynn

I was cleaning today and came across this blast from the past:

I got this Skeletonwitch setlist from a tour supporting The Black Dahlia Murder with Toxic Holocaust and Trap Them....that was a hell of a show. I actually met Skeletonwitch after their set and got the entire band to sign this.

One of my favorite modern thrash bands.

My favorite thing is his stage banter. Three flavors:

This song is about SATAAAAAN

This song is about BEEEEERRR

This song is about PUSSSSSSYYY

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anyone went to the Noize In The Hood event in South Los Angeles earlier today??

Anywho...
I went. Unfortunately, I missed Erik, the singer from Watain, signing session...however I miraculously ran into him later after the event but I was too nervous to have brief chat and just greeted him with a "hey..." and he greeted me the same. I feel like shit guys..not being able to socialize with your fave BM singer from your fave band. Shame me if you want Metal-GAF. I deserve it. :/

I know that feel brah
When I went to Carcass show I wanted to talk to Bill but had no balls to pass over security
I will probably never have this chance again

Kaladin

Anywho...
I went. Unfortunately, I missed Erik, the singer from Watain, signing session...however I miraculously ran into him later after the event but I was too nervous to have brief chat and just greeted him with a "hey..." and he greeted me the same. I feel like shit guys..not being able to socialize with your fave BM singer from your fave band. Shame me if you want Metal-GAF. I deserve it. :/

Talking to your favorite bands is easy once you've done it a few times. Worse that can happen is they treat you like you're bothering them on their way to wherever they're going to...though the best thing is you become friends with them and they start to know who you are every show you go to. I know a few alt country bands like that and it's cool when you see them and they know you're a fan and you catch up with each other.

To be honest though, I would probably be nervous as fuck if say, Metallica walked by me in an airport or somewhere.

xist

The gods have been deceived, the great ship Amarth is leaking.

I'm having a real mental battle with myself over whether the Deluxe version of the album is worth it for a second disc with four Judas Priest/Iron Maiden themed songs on it. (No, not the crazy uber deluxe version though...). Amon Amarth are a really consistent band but some of the reviews i've read almost seem a bit bored by them at this point.

Kaladin

I'm having a real mental battle with myself over whether the Deluxe version of the album is worth it for a second disc with four Judas Priest/Iron Maiden themed songs on it. (No, not the crazy uber deluxe version though...). Amon Amarth are a really consistent band but some of the reviews i've read almost seem a bit bored by them at this point.

It's Amon Amarth, they're going to do what they do, and if you like it they do it awesomely....if not I can see how one might get bored with them.

Are they covers or tribute songs?

Either way, I loved their System of a Down cover, so I'm assuming these are amazing

Flynn

I wonder if Sunbather is going to get blamed for bringing a new audience to black metal.

I hate to admit that I kind of started at Wolves in the Throne Room and worked backwards. Still exploring. You gotta start somewhere, right?

Flynn

Anywho...

Holy shit. I had no idea about this. :(

I wonder if Sunbather is going to get blamed for bringing a new audience to black metal.

I hate to admit that I kind of started at Wolves in the Throne Room and worked backwards. Still exploring. You gotta start somewhere, right?

Musically, Wolves In The Throne Room brings back some of the old style music. Their ideologies are totally different though.

Similarily - Negative Plane, these guys fucking rule.

Just got back from Vegas a few hours ago. Las Vegas Death Fest was sweeeeeeeet! Three full days of nonstop slam, metal, beer, moshing, and partying. There was also a TON of girls there too, which is nearly unheard for a metal show (ratio was a like 1:6) for me. Loaded up on lots of merch and CDs for cheap. I had a blast! Although, this fest really made me miss Guttural Secrete. Wish they never broke up :(

Saw the new AA cd leaked, will be checking it out soon! Any other good albums coming out soon?

Pumped to see The Black Dahlia Murder this Friday. Cheeea!

xist

Are they covers or tribute songs?

Either way, I loved their System of a Down cover, so I'm assuming these are amazing

No idea, i'm just going by what people are hinting at by the band logo's on the second disc. I'd guess re-interpretations of original songs (so sort of covers) but i'd probably be wrong. Roll on next week...

The leak is supposed to be a pretty poor quality source with abrupt starts and ends to tracks. No idea how bad it is but a pre-order is looking better and better.

Also i just found out Sabbath are at the top of the UK album charts with 13...first time in 43 years i think (Paranoid was their last chart topper).

Kaladin

Nothing wrong with Wolves in the Throne Room. Great live band.

Feindflug

Didn't know there was a Metal thread, well I don't come to the OT/Community sections often..still glad to see an active Metal thread. Subscribed! :)

Now about what I listen lately? I'm getting obsessed with doom/sludge lately, the albums that I've discovered lately and absolutely fell in love with are Crowbar's "Obedience Thru Suffering" (not a fan of their work apart from this and to a lesser degree the self-titled album though), Saint Vitus's "Born Too Late" (fuckin' amazing album), Eyehategod's " Take As Needed For Pain", Trouble's "Psalm 9" & Pentagram's "Day Of Reckoning".

Any other recommendations from any fans of these genres here? thanks in advance.

Didn't know there was a Metal thread, well I don't come to the OT/Community sections often..still glad to see an active Metal thread. Subscribed! :)

Now about what I listen lately? I'm getting obsessed with doom/sludge lately, the albums that I've discovered lately and absolutely fell in love with are Crowbar's "Obedience Thru Suffering" (not a fan of their work apart from this and to a lesser degree the self-titled album though), Saint Vitus's "Born Too Late" (fuckin' amazing album), Eyehategod's " Take As Needed For Pain", Trouble's "Psalm 9" & Pentagram's "Day Of Reckoning".

Any other recommendations from any fans of these genres here? thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Metal thread.

Goatsnake - IV

Floor - Scimitar

maxxpower

Acid Bath
Meth Drinker
Outlaw Order
Lord Mantis
Let the Night Roar
Rhino
Horn of the Rhino

Those are still some broad genres. I suggest to give the following bands a chance:

Down (Purple EP, II, NOLA)
Cathedral (Carnival Bizarre, Ethereal Mirror, The Last Spire)
High on Fire (Death Is This Communion, De Vermis Mysteriis, Surrounded By Thieves)
Wino/Spirit Caravan (Punctuated Equilibrium, The Last Embrace)
Sleep (Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker)
Kylesa (Ultraviolet, Static Tensions)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Not a fan of sludge, but classic doom, certainly. For the Saint Vitus/Pentagram fans, these are good choices on top of my head (assuming you haven't heard them already):
  • Count Raven - Destruction of the Void
  • Witchfinder General - Friends of Hell
  • Arkham Witch - On Crom's Mountain
  • Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Tales of Creation, Ancient Dreams
  • Altar of Oblivion - Sinews of Anguish
  • Solstice - New Dark Age
  • Spiritus Mortis - The God Behind the God
  • Orchid - Capricorn

Not really a fan of the genre, but Church of Misery's 2009 record "Houses of the Unholy" was excellent. See for yourself:

Church of Misery - Born to raise Hell

Church of Misery - The Gray Man

It feels really good to hear Children Of Bodom put out a good album again!

aPhrSdQ.jpg

Damaged Beyond Repair
Scream For Silence
Halo Of Blood

You didn't even post the best songs.

One Bottle and a Knee Deep
Transference
All Twisted

They used to be my favorite band but then I fell out of metal. I still listen to Gojira, Mastodon and Bodom but that's pretty much it. Halo of Blood blew me away as I didn't expect much from CoB after RFF had just two great songs and was full of filler. Let's not talk Blooddrunk.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
While that Dissection-sounding song was decent, the rest of the album was the same old garbage. Don't get everyone being so hyped for that album, it's still shit.

Ravager61

While that Dissection-sounding song was decent, the rest of the album was the same old garbage. Don't get everyone being so hyped for that album, it's still shit.

I'll say that I quite like some of their earlier and more power metal inspired stuff. When they were really putting the keys/synths in a prominent place in the music. I always thought that stuff had a pretty unique sound.

Skimming through some of the youtube videos posted from the new album really makes me sad at how generic they sound now. It's just that same old overproduced, modern sound that so many other bands use these days with maybe a wanky keyboard solo thrown in for good measure.

I just got a car with Satellite radio and I swear 90% of the stuff that comes up on the metal station sounds like this. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Kaladin

I just got a car with Satellite radio and I swear 90% of the stuff that comes up on the metal station sounds like this. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Liquid Metal is ok, but they're heavily formatted mainstream metal. I listen to Sirius for the variety of stations, so when I do get tired of Liquid Metal or Outlaw Country, I can listen to blues or Grateful Dead or jam band rock.

Ravager61

Liquid Metal is ok, but they're heavily formatted mainstream metal. I listen to Sirius for the variety of stations, so when I do get tired of Liquid Metal or Outlaw Country, I can listen to blues or Grateful Dead or jam band rock.

There are bright spots on Liquid Metal to be sure. I turned it on one Sunday and they were playing nothing but Powerviolence songs, one after another. I guess it was Ian Christie's radio show. That was bad ass.

Kaladin

There are bright spots on Liquid Metal to be sure. I turned it on one Sunday and they were playing nothing but Powerviolence songs, one after another. I guess it was Ian Christie's radio show. That was bad ass.

The individual shows on SiriusXM are the bright spots of that service. They typically give the guest DJs creative control over what they want to play. Shooter Jennings's Electric Rodeo over on Outlaw Country gets more into underground music than the rest of the station does for example.

Toparaman

Banned
Just out of curiosity, is everyone's favorite Mastodon album Remission?

I hold that one and Crack the Skye in very high regard, but I dont think they have a bad release, every album is good. Whats the Metal-Gaf consensus on best Mastodon?

If I was trying to be objective, I would probably say Leviathan, but my current favorite is actually The Hunter. That may change over time though. The first two songs are a little dumb, but after that, the riffs and melodies are impeccable (apart from The Creature Lives). Stargasm is an amazing space-metal song, and the title track is beautiful.

That said, Divinations from Crack the Skye is probably my favorite Mastodon song. That noodly-doodly chorus riff...love it. And the vocals: "NO ESCAPE! BINDING SPIRITS! TRAPPED IN TIME SPACE!"

Finally, pro shot footage of Metallica playing their super secret set as dehaan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=bcVI7FXEi-E

Jump in the Fire in Tuning Room
Hit the Lights from the show
Phantom Lord from the show

Damn, they sound rejuvenated. They even played the clean section of Phantom Lord! They never do that!

Oh my god. James is hitting nearly all the highs. Kirk is barely using wah-wah. Lars is playing at full speed. When did Metallica get this good again?

RDreamer

I hold that one and Crack the Skye in very high regard, but I dont think they have a bad release, every album is good. Whats the Metal-Gaf consensus on best Mastodon?

Crack the Skye is probably my favorite. I'd probably put The Hunter 2nd, though I can see why some people might not like it as much as their old stuff.

Kaladin

Damn, they sound rejuvenated. They even played the clean section of Phantom Lord! They never do that!

Oh my god. James is hitting nearly all the highs. Kirk is barely using wah-wah. Lars is playing at full speed. When did Metallica get this good again?

I want to say it was probably for a special show because they knew it would be a huge show, but people have been saying this about Metallica all the time. When they're live, it's still Metallica regardless of what they might sound like in your mind. If you're seeing them live, and especially on a special night like Orion, they're on point. They know every show is recorded, and everyone is listening so they're at their best.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

It's good, but it's not their best. Fire Ants is on there though, which may be my favorite Mastodon song. Ol'e Nessie is another favorite. Rating the albums I'd go: Crack > Leviathan > Remission > Blood Mountain > The Hunter

Feindflug

Wow! all these recommendations guys...lots of new stuff to listen to and discover.

The Church of Misery and Goatsnake tracks are awesome btw.

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Nopren

THE HAUNTED - No Compromise

This must surely be the angriest balls to the wall metal song. I can never get over how freaking intense Peter Dolving is on this. One of the best things is probably that after you read an interview with the guy you're pretty much convinced he is insane. Too bad that The Haunted went down the shitter after rEVOLVEr. Would have liked them to take Marco Aro back on after Dolving quit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Speaking of Mastodon, "Island" from Leviathan is apparently featured in a scene in Monsters U (Monsters, Inc. sequel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom