• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Should we post our worst guilty pleasure bands? (metal or non metal)

Mine definitely has to be Orgy, I love their first record but they are so fucking embarrassing to watch. I don't know, they are like sort of a nu metal depeche mode, band that I always loved and at that time I was still a bit into bands like deftones, korn and so on so it sort of made sense for me to like it but.... yeah,kind of ddifficult to admit in public lol

Here is their blue Monday cover video which might be the most cringe worthy video ever but still I think it's a great cover lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJZTfl3DmCU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OK, now you can point your fingers at me and laugh.

I'm a sucker for ambient music and IDM stuff. Tycho is pretty nice to listen to. I listen to a lot of soundtrack music too.

I also still have a soft spot in my heart for indie pop punk and melodic hardcore groups. Even modern hardcore stuff too, I guess.

But if we're talking just an an artist/band that in general is embarrassing to admit liking then I'd have to say either (non-metal) Allison Kraus or (metal/hardcore/whatever) Psychostick *shrug*

Yeah, embarrassing stuff. I also listen to hiphop, electronica, pop... I even like some commercial music, but that's all fine. With guilty pleasure I meant bands that you would not want others to know you like.

Kaladin

stuck in that high school music mentality I see.

"I like metal, fuck hip hop!"

Missing the point there Junior. I was merely commenting on the fact that I haven't liked a hip hop album in years, and then this one comes along with something refreshing and different and I kinda liked it. I like when artists think out of the box and come up with something that works.

pablito

i don't really have any bands i'd be too embarrassed to admit i listen to though. i'll gladly admit to liking whatever insane crap i listen to lol. i've had people call me crazy before so i don't really care.

Cudder

Missing the point there Junior. I was merely commenting on the fact that I haven't liked a hip hop album in years, and then this one comes along with something refreshing and different and I kinda liked it. I like when artists think out of the box and come up with something that works.
Then say that. I'm supposed to know your music preferences over the last few years? Your post read awfully ignorant, but whatever.

Then say that. I'm supposed to know your music preferences over the last few years? Your post read awfully ignorant, but whatever.

No, it read as "it is highly odd that a relatively niche subgenre seems prevalent in the work of a very very massively popular musician." It was almost purely melodrama with at most the tiniest seed of sincerity in the idea that popular things generally turn out shitty. No genre war implied.

Zozobra

From the last year(ish) my top 3 black metal albums are:
Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
Deathspell Omega - Drought
Marduk - Serpent Sermon

SO HAPPY there's finally anew Gorguts coming soon. Sign a brother up.

My highlight from last year:
Mgła - With Hearts Toward None http://youtu.be/wHfUsIm0z28
Deathspell Omega - Drought http://youtu.be/JgED7nXlxZE
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht http://youtu.be/hvJhTuPt_UM

This year has some fine BM on the horizon. New Nokturnal Mortum, Darkspace, The Ruins of Beverast and Negură Bunget.

Duuuuuudes. Some good taste up in here. I'm totally with you guys on Anaal, DSO and Mgla. I've always liked Marduk's sound but never really got into them for whatever reason - I will check both this and Lunar Aurora out, cheers!

Edit: and I'm gonna have to check out this new Kanye too, it seems. Are there any blastbeats?

Yeah, embarrassing stuff. I also listen to hiphop, electronica, pop... I even like some commercial music, but that's all fine. With guilty pleasure I meant bands that you would not want others to know you like.

In that case I'll throw out Rasputina. I'll just see my way out the door now.

Duuuuuudes. Some good taste up in here. I'm totally with you guys on Anaal, DSO and Mgla. I've always liked Marduk's sound but never really got into them for whatever reason - I will check both this and Lunar Aurora out, cheers!

Edit: and I'm gonna have to check out this new Kanye too, it seems. Are there any blastbeats?

Honestly I never really paid much attention to Marduk prior to this. Their stuff was always a little too simplistic and self important to me. This album is just a big improvement to my ears musically- they really expanded out their songwriting to make something that's more dynamically broad. It pays huge dividends.

Good thing, because I was super looking forward to the new Nachtmystium but... it's got like 3-4 good songs. I'm a serial album listener so it's a non starter for me.

Not a fan of the new Kanye West at all, personally. It's basically a giant self-masturbation session from a lyrical standpoint. Music has some good hooks here and there but it's hard to take it seriously. Basically it's emblematic of why I generally hate rap.

Basically about the only rap album I've liked in the last few years is this one:
Madvillain - Madvillainy

Kaladin

The more I think about it, the album Kanye West really wanted to make was already made by Saul Williams and Trent Reznor with The Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!

That album obviously wasn't as big as anything Kanye West has done though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
New Pelican 7" up for preorder.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs164/1101978851765/archive/1113661150093.html

Hey gang!

We're nearly gawddamn nuts with excitement here! Preorders are now up and running for the new, limited edition Pelican 7" Deny The Absolute b/w The Truce. There's very little we can say about Pelican that you don't already know. They unintentionally, yet undeniably, helped pioneer a sub-genre of music that laid the foundation for this very label and much of its roster. It's an honor for us to have the opportunity to put out some tunes for them :) Ok, enough gushing! Lets get busy here!!

394.jpg

Band: Pelican
Title: Deny The Absolute b/w The Truce
Catalog Number: Sheath045
Band Line-Up:
- Trevor de Brauw (Guitar)
- Bryan Herweg (Bass)
- Larry Herweg (Drums)
- Dallas Thomas (Guitar)
Recorded By: Kemble Walters @ Canshaker Studios &
Greg Norman @ Studio Greg Studios II
Mastered: Brad Boatwright @ Audiosiege
Artwork Design & Layout: Simon Henderson
Photography: Andrew Weiss

Side A: Deny The Absolute (5:34)
Side B: The Truce (3:17)

Pressing info:
  • 100 clear vinyl (mailorder exclusive)
  • 200 clear vinyl w/grey swirl (band exclusive)
  • 200 grey vinyl (mailorder exclusive)
  • 300 white vinyl (Redeye Distribution/retail exclusive)
  • 1200 half grey/half white

Bundle options:
  • Poster + All 5 colors + goodies
  • All 5 colors + goodies
  • Poster + color of your choice
  • Color of your choice + Aeges "Southern Comfort" 7"

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Oh and also:

1. the new Sworn In album, "The Death Card" got a release date for 8/20/13 on Razor & Tie Records.
2. Trenches posted another demo off of the 2nd/farewell LP, "Reckoner". This album can't come soon enough; still no release date yet though it will almost assuredly be an independent release (their only other release was put out on Solid State).
3. The new Extol reunion album comes out next week (came out today for Norway, Germany and Austria). From what I've heard, it sounds kinda interesting.

i saw that this morning. What the hell happened to their new album they were supposed to put out? This is the 2nd EP in a row with no Full Length released :\

no idea man

Kaladin

Here's another NOLA based band, this time hardcore featuring Gary Mader of Eyehategod / Outlaw Order:

If yer from New Orleans, you may remember this band in its most primitive form around 2000, with vocals courtesy of Mike Bevis (Gimp, Star of Kaos), Holly Peters (ex-Hawg Jaw) on bass, Paul Webb (Spickle, Mountain of Wizard, Clearlight) on drums, and Gary Mader (Hawg Jaw, Eyehategod, Outlaw Order) on guitar. Fast forward six or seven years. under the same name, drummer Paul Webb and guitarist Gary Mader reform the band as a recording project that would "do as little as possible" over an indefinite period of time. After assembling a full set over the course of three or four years, in fall 2010, Grant Tom (HAARP, Da Capa Preta, Mountain of Wizard) joined on bass, and the final addition, Matt Muscle (Mangina, TIREFIRE) joined several months before their first show in Oct 2011.

http://classhole.bandcamp.com/album/demos

cassettes are available, info is here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....268068169924086.65991.256472867750283&type=1

Finally bought Kylesa's new album and listened to it.

Almost as good as Static Tensions, but has its own feel to it. I wish they'd release an album similar to Time Will Fuse Its Worth. I'm worried about the direction they're going in.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Going to see Deafheaven tonight. Really hope they play Vertigo on the presumably small set they may have.
I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks. I was hoping that they'd just play Sunbather straight through, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Their old stuff just pales in comparison.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Just got back from Warped Tour in Mountain View tonight.

So many bands, so little time. I got there late so I caught the very tail end of The Black Dahlia Murder. Good set.

Did some wandering and caught some of Blessthefall and Chiodos. Seemed like fun sets, if that's your thing.

Caught a really stellar set from Crossfaith from Osaka, Japan. Great band, amazing energy, really interesting electronic-metal hybrid sound. Picked up an EP and a shirt from them. Great bunch of guys. Would love to see a longer set from them someday.

Eventually made my way over to catch the end of Upon A Burning Body's set (pretty packed, crowd seemed to love it), and stuck around to catch Architects (small crowd, decent show, fun to watch) and Oh Sleeper (more fun considering I knew some of the songs. Frontman was great, guitarist/clean singer looked bored as fuck).

On the non-metal front, I also made my way over to catch the end of Reel Big Fish's set. That was a party; played all their big hits. Also caught Never Shout Never, who I kinda disliked (alternative/southern rock group, with a really boy band-ish lead singer/guitarist that all the girls were just fawning over and an almost so-heavy-it-seemed-fake southern accent) but I wanted to stick around so I could get a good spot for the next (metal) act...

August Burns Red. Got a place right up on the front rail for their set, and I loved it. Great show, amazing energy, would watch again. Picked up their new album (before you can get it in stores I think).

Caught a little bit of Bring Me The Horizon but I left early so I could beat the rush home.

All in all, good experience. Really pricey and way too many bands to take them all in effectively, but some good bands nonetheless. Going to Mayhem next week though.

Got back from Deafheaven just now and it was probably one of of the most fun and intimate shows I've ever been to. George is as extremely entertaining as he is sort of odd and was probably the best part of the show, he even hugged me and several other people when he got on the floor and it was just a god damn blast. Definitely don't miss their shows if they come your way.

I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks. I was hoping that they'd just play Sunbather straight through, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Their old stuff just pales in comparison.

They didn't play Vertigo at my stop, unfortunately. It's still great and I hope you have as much fun as I did.

rObit

Banned

So many bands, so little time. I got there late so I caught the very tail end of The Black Dahlia Murder. Good set.

Did some wandering and caught some of Blessthefall and Chiodos. Seemed like fun sets, if that's your thing.

Caught a really stellar set from Crossfaith from Osaka, Japan. Great band, amazing energy, really interesting electronic-metal hybrid sound. Picked up an EP and a shirt from them. Great bunch of guys. Would love to see a longer set from them someday.

Eventually made my way over to catch the end of Upon A Burning Body's set (pretty packed, crowd seemed to love it), and stuck around to catch Architects (small crowd, decent show, fun to watch) and Oh Sleeper (more fun considering I knew some of the songs. Frontman was great, guitarist/clean singer looked bored as fuck).

On the non-metal front, I also made my way over to catch the end of Reel Big Fish's set. That was a party; played all their big hits. Also caught Never Shout Never, who I kinda disliked (alternative/southern rock group, with a really boy band-ish lead singer/guitarist that all the girls were just fawning over and an almost so-heavy-it-seemed-fake southern accent) but I wanted to stick around so I could get a good spot for the next (metal) act...

August Burns Red. Got a place right up on the front rail for their set, and I loved it. Great show, amazing energy, would watch again. Picked up their new album (before you can get it in stores I think).

Caught a little bit of Bring Me The Horizon but I left early so I could beat the rush home.

All in all, good experience. Really pricey and way too many bands to take them all in effectively, but some good bands nonetheless. Going to Mayhem next week though.

I didn't know Crossfaith was on Warped. Cool to see them getting some western exposure. I've seen vids here and there and always appreciated their energy, even if their style isn't quite for me.

And, speaking of guilty pleasure bands, I have a soft spot for Chiodos. Can't really say why, they just have an interesting sound.

Also, post some impressions on the ABR album, if you get the chance :)

Honestly I never really paid much attention to Marduk prior to this. Their stuff was always a little too simplistic and self important to me. This album is just a big improvement to my ears musically- they really expanded out their songwriting to make something that's more dynamically broad. It pays huge dividends.

The first 3 Marduk albums are great. They sound very different from their later stuff.

Those of The Unlight is one of the best black metal albums to come out of Sweden in my opinion.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I didn't know Crossfaith was on Warped. Cool to see them getting some western exposure. I've seen vids here and there and always appreciated their energy, even if their style isn't quite for me.

And, speaking of guilty pleasure bands, I have a soft spot for Chiodos. Can't really say why, they just have an interesting sound.

Also, post some impressions on the ABR album, if you get the chance :)

Yep, they're playing all of warped. Really cool show.

Will do, I'm still kinda recovering from a wicked sunburn. Just a fair warning though, I did not like "Leveler"

Seanspeed

Banned

Ah man, I really want to go to the Warped Tour here on July 9th. But I'm leaving for England just a week later and have lots of shit to do. I might still do it.

Personally, I love Chiodos. Especially with their new singer. They write some great songs.

Reel Big Fish is fantastic live, so yea, I bet that was fun.

And August Burns Red, man, I've never seen them live still. I keep missing them. I've heard they're amazing in-person.

Aaaarh, I think I have to go. I'm jealous just reading that.

Seanspeed

Banned
is deftones liked here?

or should i leave and never return?
I haven't listened to anything they've done since White Pony. I've always thought they were ok. Not one of my favorite bands, but a few songs here and there were pretty good. And my buddy recently bought a Stephan Carpenter LTD 7-string which is pretty fucking nice and my sort of instrument. Love to play it.

EDIT: That song's pretty decent.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I haven't listened to anything they've done since White Pony. I've always thought they were ok. Not one of my favorite bands, but a few songs here and there were pretty good. And my buddy recently bought a Stephan Carpenter LTD 7-string which is pretty fucking nice and my sort of instrument. Love to play it.

EDIT: That song's pretty decent.
Listen to the whole album man, It's fucking wicked, Swerve city, romantic dreams, leathers, tempest...and well...all of them are fucking great, KOI No Yokan is a fantastic album, i think its legit better than White Pony!

Also well jealous, Id love to play one, so fucking chunky sounding, id love to play some deftones on my little baby
20130107_163244.jpg

but fuck setting up my guitar again, floyd rose is a right pain and i just dont have the time...

Seanspeed

Banned
Listen to the whole album man, It's fucking wicked, Swerve city, romantic dreams, leathers, tempest...and well...all of them are fucking great, KOI No Yokan is a fantastic album, i think its legit better than White Pony!

Also well jealous, Id love to play one, so fucking chunky sounding, id love to play some deftones on my little baby
20130107_163244.jpg

but fuck setting up my guitar again, floyd rose is a right pain and i just dont have the time...
I'll check some more of it out on Youtubez. White Pony was definitely my favorite. This girl I used to hang out with was a huge fan and we always jammed out to Passenger when driving at night. If its better than that album, yea, that sounds good.

And shit, I gave up on Floyd Rose's a while ago. I couldn't deal with it. I switched focus from playing lead to playing rhythm anyways, but in general, it was just never worth the hassle. My buddy that I was talking about did the same thing with that LTD he bought. He had a Kirk Hammett edition and was constantly bringing it over so I could fix it and I just suggested he get a fixed bridge guitar. He's much happier now!

Your shit is nice looking, though. Is that a Schecter?

Zozobra

is deftones liked here?

or should i leave and never return?

I'm a pretty big metal snob, but Deftones are still one of my favorite bands ever. It's too bad they got lumped in with the Limp Bizkits and Korns of the late nineties because I always thought they had way more depth than any of those bands.

Once that whole fad was over they really evolved into their own sound, here we are 15'ish years later and I'm still stoked when they release a new album. Koi No Yokan was rad as hell.

rObit

Banned
Just a fair warning though, I did not like "Leveler"

It wasn't my favorite by them, so that doesn't bother me.

And August Burns Red, man, I've never seen them live still. I keep missing them. I've heard they're amazing in-person.

Aaaarh, I think I have to go. I'm jealous just reading that.

You should, definitely. They're great and Jake and Matt will hang out with fans pretty much anytime they get the chance in my experience. Might have a tougher time with that on Warped as opposed to their regular tours, though.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I'll check some more of it out on Youtubez. White Pony was definitely my favorite. This girl I used to hang out with was a huge fan and we always jammed out to Passenger when driving at night. If its better than that album, yea, that sounds good.

And shit, I gave up on Floyd Rose's a while ago. I couldn't deal with it. I switched focus from playing lead to playing rhythm anyways, but in general, it was just never worth the hassle. My buddy that I was talking about did the same thing with that LTD he bought. He had a Kirk Hammett edition and was constantly bringing it over so I could fix it and I just suggested he get a fixed bridge guitar. He's much happier now!

Your shit is nice looking, though. Is that a Schecter?
Hell yeah man, it's all on spotify too, best part is it's awesome regardless of how you are feeling, i like it when im stoned, angry, chilled or just travelling, it's the shit.

FRs are a pain, but I do see the benefits, yeah it's a schecter, great for getting dat chunk. But there is still a place in my heart for my funky strat, i did set it up the schek at one point so it was tuned to drop B

that was a fun fucking day
I'm a pretty big metal snob, but Deftones are still one of my favorite bands ever. It's too bad they got lumped in with the Limp Bizkits and Korns of the late nineties because I always thought they had way more depth than any of those bands.

Once that whole fad was over they really evolved into their own sound, here we are 15'ish years later and I'm still stoked when they release a new album. Koi No Yokan was rad as hell.

good to hear it, not even the snobbiest metalman could say no to them

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I haven't listened to their new stuff, but I still love Around the Fur and White Pony. Adrenaline hasn't aged very well, though, I don't think.

I remember hearing stories of them routinely getting booed during the Ozzfest '99 tour (which I went to — no regrets). Them and System of a Down were always the two bands that transcended the nu-metal tag that they got.

rObit

Banned
FRs are a pain, but I do see the benefits, yeah it's a schecter, great for getting dat chunk. But there is still a place in my heart for my funky strat, i did set it up the schek at one point so it was tuned to drop B

that was a fun fucking day

Ugh, I don't even want to think about that. Took my Ibanez with the locking trem down to drop C and it will stay there until the end of time as far as I'm concerned. My 2 FR guitars stay in drop D or standard.

I like that finish, by the way.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It wasn't my favorite by them, so that doesn't bother me.

You should, definitely. They're great and Jake and Matt will hang out with fans pretty much anytime they get the chance in my experience. Might have a tougher time with that on Warped as opposed to their regular tours, though.

I'm a couple tracks in. Not too bad so far.

They actually did not hang out (from what I could see) at this tour stop. I asked their guys running their merch booth and they said no, which on warped I don't blame them.

Actually what I think I'm gonna do is this: I got 3 CDs at Warped Tour and I'm gonna .post impressions of.
1. August Burns Red - "Rescue & Restore"
2. Crossfaith - "Zion EP"
3. Hollow Tongue - "Godsnakes" (okay this one needs a little explanation. HT did not play at warped, but as I was chatting with the guy running Crossfaith's merch booth, he handed me this CD free of charge. Cheap little black paper sleeve with an almost black metal white artwork on the front and hand numbered on the back (out of 97). I think it's gonna be a demo, you know the kind that small/local bands cook up in their early days? But apparently it's a full-length from this year. Wacky. Might be a good listen, we'll see. The album is up on their bandcamp too if you wanna listen as well.)

sgjackson

Has any cool grindcore came out recently? I think the last stuff I heard was late last year when Pig Destroyer and Hivesmasher were floating around and I'm in the mood for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom