• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks, Ceres!

Oh, and I've been listening to random songs through last.fm on the Opeth station trying to find something else that tickles me.

First song:

Dark Suns - Patterns of Oblivion

Decent vocals, really good and subtle drumming, nice piano accompaniment. I like.

edit:

Another interesting song popped up on my last.fm playlist:

A lot more NIN-ish...pretty interesting stuff:

Disillusion - The Black Sea

Mileena

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Also, any bands out there with really standout drummers? Doesn't necessarily have to be metal
Rush.
Rush.
Rush.
Rush.
Start with 2112 and definitely YYZ/The Rhythm Method. Neil Peart is god.
Any Rush song has amazing drums but 2112/Moving Pictures/Hemispheres are probably the best drum albums. A Farewell To Kings and Caress of Steel as well.

And check out Between the Buried and Me, great guitar/bass/drums all around. Band of the decade for me. Colors Live is a masterpiece.

For anyone interested in what Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy would sound like in a Death Metal band.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2352022.aspx

He provides insight into the different ways that could've been on the Black Clouds' opener A Nightmare to Remember. I've always been a fan of his vocals in DT, I love the contrast they provide to LaBrie's tones. And to be honest, I kinda prefer the growl to the vocals he usually does.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
TheExodu5 said:
I'm sure I've asked this at some point this thread...but are there any bands out there similar to Opeth? I'm looking more for bands that incorporate a lot of the clean and acoustic/folksey aspects into their songs.

Also, any bands out there with really standout drummers? Doesn't necessarily have to be metal. I'm looking for a lot of subtelty in the drums, as demonstrated in Opeth - Watershed. Not a fan of blast beats at all.
Don Caballero is instrumental rock with incredible drumming. Their early material is more straight-forward, metal-laced rock, while their later albums are more akin to math rock. What Burns Never Returns is my favorite album that they released, and it does a good job of tying all of their styles together. Don't bother with their two recent records, though; it's barely the same band.

Also, regarding Opeth: I'm pretty sure I've recommended maudlin of the Well to you before. While they don't sound like Opeth, they're another band that does a great job of incorporating different genres (new age, jazz, prog, etc.) into their music while still being heavy as hell. "Birth Pains of Astral Projection" and "Gleam in Ranks" would be good representations of their sound. Although, if you don't like guttural vocals, you might be turned off.

fistfulofmetal said:
people thought his vocals were "death metal" vocals?

they must have never heard any death metal.
True, but I think if they got Akerfeldt to do his growl it would be a little off-putting to the vibe of the music. He truly has the voice of Satan.

TheExodu5

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Rush.
Rush.
Rush.
Rush.
Start with 2112 and definitely YYZ/The Rhythm Method. Neil Peart is god.
Any Rush song has amazing drums but 2112/Moving Pictures/Hemispheres are probably the best drum albums. A Farewell To Kings and Caress of Steel as well.

And check out Between the Buried and Me, great guitar/bass/drums all around. Band of the decade for me. Colors Live is a masterpiece.

I looove Rush.

Also, BtBaM is probably my second favorite band after Opeth right now. Colors is amazing. :D

Thanks for the recommendation vatstep...I guess I forgot to check it out before if you've already recommended it to me. :lol

Alright, now I'm assuming most drummers that have been recommended are highly technical drummers such as Niel Peart.

Now, I'd also like some recommendations of highly subtle drummers. I love it when drummers play around with lots of ghost notes, and incorporate a lot of jazz drumming in their routine. It's a completely different kind of skill, and I'd like to expose myself to a bit more of it.

If you're wondering why, it's because I'm a bit of a fledgling drummer at this point...trying to get more influences out there.

If you check out Watershed, Hessian Peel and Hex Omega have some of the best drumming I've heard. Really simple...but applied so incredibly well.

Alivor

GAF, no matter how many new bands (and however great they are), I can't help to go back to Sabaton. There's just something about them that's so awesome. All of their songs are so good. If I had to pick one album that I had to listen to over and over, I think I'd go with the Art of War.

Oceano is pretty awesome too.

JimmyV

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Now, I'd also like some recommendations of highly subtle drummers. I love it when drummers play around with lots of ghost notes, and incorporate a lot of jazz drumming in their routine. It's a completely different kind of skill, and I'd like to expose myself to a bit more of it.

If you're wondering why, it's because I'm a bit of a fledgling drummer at this point...trying to get more influences out there.

Ah I thought you meant subtle as in skilled. So you mean more along the lines of And Justice Metallica with guitar riffs that sneak up and tease you?

TheExodu5 said:
I'm sure I've asked this at some point this thread...but are there any bands out there similar to Opeth? I'm looking more for bands that incorporate a lot of the clean and acoustic/folksey aspects into their songs.

Listen to "Crimson" by Edge of Sanity. As a bonus, it features Mike from Opeth doing vocals in a couple parts.

Just finished listening to the new Devin Townsend album, "Ki." It's not a metal album, really, but everyone should still check it out. He doesn't understand how to disappoint. Such an amazing songwriter.

Finally just got around to grabbing the new Blut Aus Nord album. I'll probably give it a spin tomorrow.

Also, I'm in agreement with whoever mentioned Edge of Sanity's "Crimson." It's really good, and anyone into Opeth(my favorite band) might enjoy it.

Maggot9

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

AGALLOCH

Flynn

Hoping to catch Wolves in the Throne Room in LA next month.

Their opener, Minsk, isn't half bad.

I'm on the fence about seeing Nachtmystium on the third. I don't care for the venue. Anybody seen them. Am I missing out if I don't catch them? I was sorely disappointed they got booted from Scion Rockfest.

yacobod

Banned
driving 2-3 hours south to Indianapolis on Monday night to see Judas Priest open their US Tour at the Murat Egyptian Room, never seen priest before, and seeing them at a 1500-2000 seat arena is going to be awesome

Ravager61

Flynn said:
Hoping to catch Wolves in the Throne Room in LA next month.

Their opener, Minsk, isn't half bad.

I'm on the fence about seeing Nachtmystium on the third. I don't care for the venue. Anybody seen them. Am I missing out if I don't catch them? I was sorely disappointed they got booted from Scion Rockfest.

Id love to see Nactmystium. I was going to see them in Chicago but I couldn't make it up there. Plus, they are touring with Pentagram who would be fun to see as well. I would definitely go.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright...I was busy over the weekend and didn't really get to checking out the bands yet. Tonight hopefully!

JimmyV said:
Ah I thought you meant subtle as in skilled. So you mean more along the lines of And Justice Metallica with guitar riffs that sneak up and tease you?

I mean subtle as in a drummer that is capable of controlling their speed/intensity and able to incorporate a lot of ghost notes and dynamics in general.

Most metal drummers are the very opposite of subtle. Fast and technical, but they do not have the ability to control their intensity at all, and the drumming ends up being uniform throughout the song with a complete lack of dynamics.

It's a very similar situation to piano players. Master piano players have an incredible ability to pour out a lot of emotion with their songs by pouring it into tempo and intensity variations. A piano player that plays with uniform volume and speed lacks something very special.

TheExodu5 said:
Alright...I was busy over the weekend and didn't really get to checking out the bands yet. Tonight hopefully!

I mean subtle as in a drummer that is capable of controlling their speed/intensity and able to incorporate a lot of ghost notes and dynamics in general.

Most metal drummers are the very opposite of subtle. Fast and technical, but they do not have the ability to control their intensity at all, and the drumming ends up being uniform throughout the song with a complete lack of dynamics.

It's a very similar situation to piano players. Master piano players have an incredible ability to pour out a lot of emotion with their songs by pouring it into tempo and intensity variations. A piano player that plays with uniform volume and speed lacks something very special.

Not really sure if it's what you would be interested in, but maybe check out Melvins. Their drummer Dale Crover is very talented but is also very unique in his playing, definately showing restraint and thinking about what to play where. The only thing being that they technically aren't a metal band. Check out the album Ozma for a good example of his playing, It's more punk influenced but very very good.

TheExodu5

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
Not really sure if it's what you would be interested in, but maybe check out Melvins. Their drummer Dale Crover is very talented but is also very unique in his playing, definately showing restraint and thinking about what to play where. The only thing being that they technically aren't a metal band. Check out the album Ozma for a good example of his playing, It's more punk influenced but very very good.

Restraint is key in what I'm looking for. I love drummers that are a constant tease.

I'll add it to the check-it-out list. :D

f9h4py.gif
Judas Priest - Painkiller 8 Bit
f9h4py.gif

f9h4py.gif
Megadeth - Hangar 18 8 Bit
f9h4py.gif

f9h4py.gif
Slayer - Angel of Death 8 Bit
f9h4py.gif

Woffls

Powerslave said:

Ohhhhh wow that was awesome. The breakdown is still sick in 8bit :D

Have we discussed Black Clouds and Silver Linings here yet? I think it's brilliant, my favourite track being The Best of Times because of general epicness and solo awesomeness. I think it's brilliant how an opening track can be 16 minutes long, too.

Also been listening to Ayreon a bit more. I really like The Human Eq, Into the Electric Castle and 01011001, but I listened to the Universal Migrator today and it's absolutely shit :(

fistfulofmetal said:
on the instrumental disc of Black Clouds, Silver Linings special edition, Dream Theater removed the guitar solos on all the songs.

wtf

Yeah I noticed that too. They must have intended it to be a backing track for the guitar nerds on youtube to play along to.

NameGenerated said:
Really? I haven't listened to it and I doubt I will, but that's lame.

yeah.
on Count of Tuscany the soloing in the beginning is replaced with straight up synth. It's really kind of lame.

I love the idea of bands including instrumentals of all their songs, but please don't fuck them :\

Haruspex

Banned
Whilst not 'metal' per se, people should really listen to The Psychic Paramount, far and away one of the best bands out there at present... and loud too. Not in some shitty Sunn0))) 'we'll just have lots of amps and sound like shit with smoke and mirrors' way, but very intelligently and with a lot of subtlety involved, pure catharsis. Check out the album Gamelan into the Mink Supernatural.

http://www.thepsychicparamount.com/
http://www.myspace.com/thepsychicparamount
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=27424680
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=56384080

Sandman42

Phobophile said:
God I fucking hate MIDI.
This.

I mean, it's kind of amusing to hear a familiar song in the style of your favourite old school game but that only lasts about 20 seconds. Then you realize that you would much rather listen to the original song, which then, of course, reminds you that you are listening to Slayer and it stills sucks.

pix

I have been looking for Edge of Sanity mp3's for a long ass time. No one seeds the torrents, i cant find the cd's anywhere. any tips?

Sandman42 said:
This.

I mean, it's kind of amusing to hear a familiar song in the style of your favourite old school game but that only lasts about 20 seconds. Then you realize that you would much rather listen to the original song.

No, not unless you happen to like midi/8 bit music. Like me. I listened more than 5 times to most of these. So maybe now you see that you don't speak for everone.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fistfulofmetal said:
on the instrumental disc of Black Clouds, Silver Linings special edition, Dream Theater removed the guitar solos on all the songs.

wtf

Thats strange.

In one of the collectors packs you get a "Producer's Edition" disc with isolated audio tracks of the entire album.

I also picked up the super deluxe crazy edition of black clouds. I havent taken a picture of it all yet but it looks like this. Will take a personal picture sometime this weekend.

65vmdx.gif

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Powerslave said:
Also, it's because you have no soul.
Or maybe I prefer the warmth of real instruments that have a soul.

Sandman42 said:
This.

I mean, it's kind of amusing to hear a familiar song in the style of your favourite old school game but that only lasts about 20 seconds. Then you realize that you would much rather listen to the original song, which then, of course, reminds you that you are listening to Slayer and it stills sucks.
:lol So true

JimmyV

Banned
evlcookie said:
Thats strange.

In one of the collectors packs you get a "Producer's Edition" disc with isolated audio tracks of the entire album.

I also picked up the super deluxe crazy edition of black clouds. I havent taken a picture of it all yet but it looks like this. Will take a personal picture sometime this weekend.

65vmdx.gif

Stuff like that really makes me want to get into Vinyls! If only I knew how to pick the good players =/ . I'm clueless on that topic.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
JimmyV said:
Stuff like that really makes me want to get into Vinyls! If only I knew how to pick the good players =/ . I'm clueless on that topic.
Plenty of GAF turntable threads. Witchfinder General seems to be well versed in it. Be prepared to drop several hundred dollars, even on entry-level equipment. I'd love to get into vinyl but I really don't want to make room for a record collection. My CD collection is a couple hundred strong and that takes up a noticeable amount of space.

Mileena

Banned
I asked this in the RB thread but I know I'll get better metal responses in here so:
Anyone have some good prog metal or melodic death? Lately I've been listening to a lot of Opeth, Insomnium, Shadow Gallery, Dark Tranquility, Queensryche, etc and I'm always itching for more.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm going to copy and paste part of a post from my other thread here, because it seems like I might hit more the interest level that I'm shooting for:

I contribute regularly to OCRemix (don't blame me for the HDR soundtrack, please... if I had been on that it would have been better :( If you don't believe me, just give this a listen ), and right now we have a special project that is nearing completion. We've been working on a Donkey Kong Country 2 remix album for a couple years now, and as I said, it's almost finished. If you're a fan of the DKC2 soundtrack, there's going to be a SPECIAL surprise on the album that will BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND and probably cause the internet to collectively orgasm when the news is revealed... but unfortunately that's not for me to spill the beans.

Anyhow, production on my track, Crocodile Cacophony has wrapped in all areas but one; vocals. It's a death metal spoof track (with a dash of old school thrash riffing) that musically resembles something a mashup of In Flames, Iced Earth, and Dethklok.

What I need from whomever is able, is a competent vocalist who is able to pull off the low, death metal growling required. It's been tough finding anyone who can pull it off, and when I've found someone who can, they've lacked the ability to get a good, precise recording.

Lyrics have already been written, just waiting for the right person to come along and drop the vocals. The vocal-less track can be heard here:

Donkey Kong Country 2 Remix Project - Crocodile Cacophony

So if you think you can do it, drop me a line!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
corkscrewblow said:
I asked this in the RB thread but I know I'll get better metal responses in here so:
Anyone have some good prog metal or melodic death? Lately I've been listening to a lot of Opeth, Insomnium, Shadow Gallery, Dark Tranquility, Queensryche, etc and I'm always itching for more.

Here are some recommendations.

Be'lakor - Neither Shape Nor Shadow (Fantastic melodic death metal from Australia)
Disillusion - Back to The Times of Splendor (One of my favorite songs ever. It's 15 mins long but this is the edited one)
Pagan's Mind - Atomic Firelight
And check out everything by Seventh Wonder for prog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom