• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

I have times when I veer more to my outlaw country, americana and roots music leanings than metal. I'm all over the place sometimes really. This has been a down year for me in metal....but the releases I have been into have been good.

FYC

Banned
There was a time when I listened to nothing but classical, trip-hop, ambient and hip-hop. I'm glad I did, I discovered so much new stuff. Erik Satie, Chopin, Massive Attack, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Nujabes, Coeur De Pirate, Nas, Mos Def, Black Star, Wu-Tang Clan, Raekwon, GZA and more.

Don't be afraid to branch out, it's funnnn

xist

Was trawling Bandcamp the other day for new stuff and came across a release that was much better than a cursory preview had me believe. To me at least it brings to mind a less groove laden Kvelertak simply because the Black Metal element mingles with a much more rock-y musical backbone. Try this track out ...you'll see what i mean at around the 4 minute mark -

http://ukemrecords.bandcamp.com/track/the-blood-of-the-wyvern

If you like it then the album is more in the same vein. (somewhat bad band-name though...)

CassSept

I still like occasionally listening to metal, but I drifted away from it over the last 2 years or so. Which is weird because it was basically the only genre I listened to and I still enjoy it greatly.

Seriously though, for months I just sort of... didn't listen to much metal. Does this happen ever to some of you guys? It's not that I have other genres I'm into either. With a handful of exceptions, metal is all I listen to. I think I burned myself out on it though, because it got to the point where none of it was exciting me anymore. After a while all of the metal tropes can start to run together to the point where the entirety of it becomes dull. "Too much of a good thing" and all that. I know this can apply to literally any piece of entertainment ever, but it was weird for me to go through with metal, since it's such a damn important part of my daily life and identity.

The past few weeks or so though I've seen a nice return to form. Hopefully I can find some unique albums I haven't listened to yet in order to keep the fire going.

I have spells like that. I like to listen to electronic music, classical, classical/rock hyrbid, and soloists (ie, Vai, Satriani, etc) during those times. Metal is my favorite genre but, it's not the only one I like.

RDreamer

Seriously though, for months I just sort of... didn't listen to much metal. Does this happen ever to some of you guys? It's not that I have other genres I'm into either. With a handful of exceptions, metal is all I listen to. I think I burned myself out on it though, because it got to the point where none of it was exciting me anymore. After a while all of the metal tropes can start to run together to the point where the entirety of it becomes dull. "Too much of a good thing" and all that. I know this can apply to literally any piece of entertainment ever, but it was weird for me to go through with metal, since it's such a damn important part of my daily life and identity.

The past few weeks or so though I've seen a nice return to form. Hopefully I can find some unique albums I haven't listened to yet in order to keep the fire going.

That's kind of how I am for both of my big genres. I'll go into a period where I don't want to listen to metal for quite some time (I had more than a year where I really wasn't into it as much once), like you. I just get a bit burnt out on it. That same thing happens with progressive rock. For the most part I do kind of bounce back and forth between the two and it helps make the other genre a bit more fresh when I go back to it. I'll go on a huge metal kick after a big progressive kick, etc.

I do listen to a good amount of other stuff, but those are the two that I really go back to time and time again and get into those big kicks. They're also the two that I can kind of get really burned out on because of that.

Interesting, I'll give it that thus far. I actually quite like it, but they are clearly drifting away from their original folky stuff.

Yeah, well this was supposedly on the lighter end of the spectrum from the album so there's that. They also said in an interview thatm if anything, they were drifting away from the massive orchestras and towards a more raw energetic sound similar to that which they feel when playing gigs.

Definitely going to be an interesting one to watch. I've been listening to Stand Up and Fight for a while now and that album is seriously good, seeeeriously good.

Maybe I'm mostly saddened by the lack of Netta (the female accordion player) from the lineup. Definitely adds to the dwindling folk theme in the band.

lmpaler

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll check these albums out within the next couple of days.

I just listened to Immortal's At The Heart Of Winter yesterday for the first time, and STONEY BALONEY IT'S AMAZING. Easily one of the best black metal albums I've ever heard. Admittedly I've only been into black metal for about nine months or so, but it's rare that any metal album these days blows me away on first listen. That one assuredly did.

The new Amon Amarth is so much better than Surtur Rising, but still not up to par with Twilight of the Thunder God or With Oden on Our Side. Probably my third favorite album of theirs though, which is still an accomplishment.

And friggin LOL at the last song on their bonus disc... "Stand Up to Go Down". It's about being sexual with a freakishly tall woman. What the hell.

None of those songs are actual covers, right? They are just original works crafted in the style of some of the bands that influenced them? I love the concept of that. More bands should try it out. Unless I'm just an idiot and I've just happened to have never heard those four tracks before.

New Satyricon album artwork is badass. I've only ever listened to Dark Medieval Times from them, but "Into The Mighty Forest" from that album is bloody great.

As an aside, I miss being active in this thread. I still read every post, but I rarely contribute these days. I chalk it up to being so busy with being an unemployed college grad. NO FREE TIME FOR NeoGAF!

Personally my favorite AA album is Versus the World, but I enjoy the band as a whole.

I went through a weird fix for about a week and a half where I just dug up all my old rap albums and listened to them lol. I was getting down and then I just stopped listening to them and went back to metal.

One time I went through a classical binge. Just happens.

Manu

Has anyone listened to Orphaned Land's latest album? It's so good.

orphanedallisone.jpg

A lot more focused than their previous one.

Yeah, well this was supposedly on the lighter end of the spectrum from the album so there's that. They also said in an interview thatm if anything, they were drifting away from the massive orchestras and towards a more raw energetic sound similar to that which they feel when playing gigs.

Definitely going to be an interesting one to watch. I've been listening to Stand Up and Fight for a while now and that album is seriously good, seeeeriously good.

Maybe I'm mostly saddened by the lack of Netta (the female accordion player) from the lineup. Definitely adds to the dwindling folk theme in the band.

Stand Up and Fight is fucking awesome. I know I'll be in the minority, but I dig the hilariously bombastic, arena rock kind of vibe they give off these days. Yeah, I'll miss songs like "One More" and such, but I'm happy with what the bizarre Mad Max barbarians have been whipping up.

Edit: However, the new album title is shit. Turisas2013? Really?

Kaladin

Down got to do a second set at Hellfest after Clutch had to cancel. They used this set to do a set loaded with covers:

01: Rehab
02: Swan Song
03: Sisterfucker (Part I) (Eyehategod song)
04: Blank (Eyehategod song)
05: High Rate Extinction (Crowbar song)
06: Conquering (Crowbar song)
07: Clean My Wounds (Corrosion of Conformity song)
08: Albatross (Corrosion of Conformity song)
09: Pretty Maroon (?)
10: Bridge of Sighs/Walk medley (Robin Trower/Pantera)

Highlight Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hG4p3_H9MtY

Hesemonni

Banned
I saw Bolt Thrower and I'm currently watching King Diamond live at Tuska Festival in Helsinki. Couldn't be much happier really.

So I'm listening to the new Deeds of Flesh album and it's surprisingly good. I didn't like the last one much. If you've heard them before then you definitely know what you're getting yourself into so YMMV.

It has a cover of Orphans of Sickness on it too, which is an interesting surprise.

RDreamer

Has anyone listened to Orphaned Land's latest album? It's so good.

orphanedallisone.jpg

A lot more focused than their previous one.

I don't think it's anywhere near as good as their last 2. It's still good, but just doesn't reach the heights that Mabool and ORWarriOR did.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So my second time seeing Melechesh, and I think they were even better than the first time (of course they were also headlining this time). No Djinn for sale, but no matter, the sound was crystal clear and the setlist was phenomenal. Great performance and I expect a sore neck for many days.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Friend borrowed me Judas Priest - Epitaph DVD

now this was painful to watch on some moments, but very solid performance otherwise

I binge on trance/house for a few months then come back to metal quite a bit. Leaves me reinvigorated to explore the genre.

I have times when I veer more to my outlaw country, americana and roots music leanings than metal. I'm all over the place sometimes really. This has been a down year for me in metal....but the releases I have been into have been good.

There was a time when I listened to nothing but classical, trip-hop, ambient and hip-hop. I'm glad I did, I discovered so much new stuff. Erik Satie, Chopin, Massive Attack, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Nujabes, Coeur De Pirate, Nas, Mos Def, Black Star, Wu-Tang Clan, Raekwon, GZA and more.

Don't be afraid to branch out, it's funnnn

Metal heads are usually true music fans. Im a not so closeted Jazz fan.

I have spells like that. I like to listen to electronic music, classical, classical/rock hyrbid, and soloists (ie, Vai, Satriani, etc) during those times. Metal is my favorite genre but, it's not the only one I like.

That's kind of how I am for both of my big genres. I'll go into a period where I don't want to listen to metal for quite some time (I had more than a year where I really wasn't into it as much once), like you. I just get a bit burnt out on it. That same thing happens with progressive rock. For the most part I do kind of bounce back and forth between the two and it helps make the other genre a bit more fresh when I go back to it. I'll go on a huge metal kick after a big progressive kick, etc.

I do listen to a good amount of other stuff, but those are the two that I really go back to time and time again and get into those big kicks. They're also the two that I can kind of get really burned out on because of that.

I went through a weird fix for about a week and a half where I just dug up all my old rap albums and listened to them lol. I was getting down and then I just stopped listening to them and went back to metal.

One time I went through a classical binge. Just happens.
Man, would any of you (or anybody else in this thread) fine fellows be willing to recommend me some good albums in other genres? I WANT to experience other types of music, and I can appreciate any style that has genuine talent behind it, but I am just lost as to where I should start. I tried getting into hip-hop a couple weeks back (I was listening to Kanye and Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz and Wacka Flocka Flame) but almost 100% of the songs were either about fucking bitches, making money, or doing drugs (usually a combination of the three). It just felt gimmicky and shallow and I couldn't really find the motivation to keep exploring.

Anyway, I have an inherent trust of the musical opinions of people in this thread so I'd welcome anything outside of the realm of metal that anyone would be willing to throw my way.

It would probably be best if this was done via PM though, as to not derail any conversation here. Thanks in advance to any amigos willing to help me out!

@metalguardian! How about some funk classics?? Not the smeary stuff but edgy and crazy : Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, George Clinton! P-Funk! Hilarious shit, I love them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQFYJXMVxTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN1xFZ2vfwY
Get off your ass and jam! (shit goddamn!!!!)

Aside from being one of the most sampled people in the business their mastermind George Clinton made some funny early hip hop in the 80s/90s:
http://www.tunesbaby.com/dm/?x=x3uyng (Especially the second half is awesome! This guy successfully was what will.I.am tries to be.)

Or early crazyshitjazz fusion, Mahavishnu Orchestra! Inner Mounting Flame is an essential album!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rcL1sDKCak

For some seriously smooth and kinda sweet jazz music try Tal Wilkenfield's "Transformation" album! (Yep, she's young :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0G_fcfajDA

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, would any of you (or anybody else in this thread) fine fellows be willing to recommend me some good albums in other genres? [...]
Anyway, I have an inherent trust of the musical opinions of people in this thread so I'd welcome anything outside of the realm of metal that anyone would be willing to throw my way.

I don't think anyone minds the derail too much? I'll just ask if you heard the following and if not (and if the genre description interests you), I'll PM some youtube links your way, I guess:

- Dead Can Dance ("world music"/ambient/folk/post-punk, depending on album)
- Sol Invictus (neofolk)
- Loreena McKennitt (celtic folk)
- Fields of the Nephilim (goth)
- The Sisters of Mercy (goth)
- Ice Ages (industrial, side-project of Summoning members)
- Die Verbannten Kinder Evas (darkwave/neoclassical, side-project of Summoning too)
- Death in June (post-punk, neofolk)
- The Cure (goth)
- Corvus Corax (medieval folk)
- Les Bâtards du Nord (viking/medieval folk)
- Stille Volk (celtic/medieval folk)
- Voltaire ("dark cabaret")

Also, may seem obvious, but try Pink Floyd if you haven't already. They have varied their sound a lot throughout their career but there is some great stuff in there.

ShaneB

For non metal, this was my discovery today from the Chiptune thread. http://arcadehigh.bandcamp.com/

Arcade High - Pixel Passion
a4214911665_2.jpg

"Pixel Passion is the album I've been wanting to create ever since I began writing electronic music. It's my love letter to 80s synth music and early 90s video game culture. I wanted to imprint an original sound that would be my own and create nostalgic imagery in the listener without any pretense. It's been a long and very rewarding 8 months. I hope you enjoy!"

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Man, would any of you (or anybody else in this thread) fine fellows be willing to recommend me some good albums in other genres? I WANT to experience other types of music, and I can appreciate any style that has genuine talent behind it, but I am just lost as to where I should start. I tried getting into hip-hop a couple weeks back (I was listening to Kanye and Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz and Wacka Flocka Flame) but almost 100% of the songs were either about fucking bitches, making money, or doing drugs (usually a combination of the three). It just felt gimmicky and shallow and I couldn't really find the motivation to keep exploring.

It would probably be best if this was done via PM though, as to not derail any conversation here. Thanks in advance to any amigos willing to help me out!

Tycho - Past is Prologue and Dive (IDM, chillwave)

The Sight Below - No Place for Us, Glider, & It All Falls Apart (Ambient Techno, Shoegaze)

Lowercase Noises - Migratory Patterns (Ambient, post-rock)

No Tide - Meridian (Pop Punk)

The JV Allstars - Take Me Back To Spectre (Pop Punk)

A Summer Better Than Yours - Best of Luck (Pop Punk/Melodic Hardcore)

Final (the earliest and longest running project of Justin Broadrick of Jesu and Godflesh) - The First Millionth of a Second and 3. (Dark Ambient)

Twine - Violets (Dark Ambient)

Jean Baudin (extended-range bassist of avant-garde metal band Nuclear Rabbit) - Solace and Mechanisms (solo instumetal, shoegaze)

I need recommendations for southern tinged metal... in the vein of He Is Legend, Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster... anyone?... thanks in advance.

My recommendations from earlier in the thread:

The southern-style is gonna differ to different degrees for these. "Southern" is usually mixed with another style (metalcore, thrash, groove, sludge).

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Hellyeah
ABYSS
The Sign Of The Southern Cross
Southern Whiskey Rebellion
Redneck Rampage
Once Nothing
The Showdown
Twelve Gauge Valentine
Down
Hank Williams III

Kaladin

PM sent...let me know if you like any of it.

Edit: I'll send a PM instead :)

Does the track Hel have a guest vocalist or is that the AA vocalist? If so, he should do more songs with that voice, its a nice change of flow.

And Stand Up To Go Down is fucking awesome lol.

Is Satan Rising meant to be the Iron Maiden tribute? I didn't get an IM vibe from that song at all.

Kaladin

Edit: I'll send a PM instead :)

Does the track Hel have a guest vocalist or is that the AA vocalist? If so, he should do more songs with that voice, its a nice change of flow.

And Stand Up To Go Down is fucking awesome lol.

Is Satan Rising meant to be the Iron Maiden tribute? I didn't get an IM vibe from that song at all.

I was thinking Sabbath for Satan Rising.

Paches

It came out earlier this year, but I just got around to listening to Bring Me The Horizon's latest album "Sempiternal"

It is pretty much my new hotness. I like every song on their immensly (except for Antivist).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom