• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

also didn't know Manegarm had their new album out and that Falkenbach released a new single. finding out a lotta stuff today.

Eweroun is awesome. I hope we get an album before too long. Love that it's another song with a more mellow, folkish vibe. I'm a huge fan of everything Vratyas Vakyas puts out, but I think the rasped vocals have started to feel a bit forced on some of the tracks on the recent albums. I think he's used guest vocalists to record them on every album following Magni Blandinn ok Megintiri, and where Vakyas himself always used them well, I find the other guys miss the mark. They're used to good effect on In Flames and Of Forests Unknown, but I find they detract from tracks like Vanadis or Time Between Dog and Wolf. Given that Vakyas' clean vocals are so good, I'd be happy if all the tracks on a new album followed Eweroun's style. His blacker songs are great, but his folkish songs are like nothing else.

If you like Falkenbach, check out Bloodshed Walhalla. Italian one-man project in a very similar vein. The Legends of a Viking is his first album; The Battle Will Never End is the follow up. Legends is the better of the two in my opinion, but they're both strong.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Finally got around to listening to the new Amon Amarth album this morning, better than the completely forgettable Sutur Rising, but this isn't something that I'll likely listen to again.

Damn! Queensÿches (the real one, not Taterÿche) new album is really really good! Not as good as Operation: Mindcrime (no album in existence is) but this is proving to be their next best album for sure :)

Listened to it a few times now, it's really damn good. As stated, it's not as good as the first 4 (EP included), but I think it's their best album since Mindcrime for certain.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
For those in the UK going UK Tech-Fest next week.

1049173_10153009878495164_901259397_o.jpg

lmpaler

Got back from Mayhem early yesterday morning and just slept lol. I was awake for about 24 hours before I got home. Anyways, great show, my first festival ever. Bodom and Amon Amarth killed it. Weather was comfortable and plenty of shade, but the pits were weak as hell. I saw people bleeding from them and then got in there and realized it was just from falling on the asphalt. Other than that though great show all around, some the band's are not to my liking, but that comes with the territory.

jmdajr

Finally got around to listening to the new Amon Amarth album this morning, better than the completely forgettable Sutur Rising, but this isn't something that I'll likely listen to again.

It's solid, but I don't know how I would rank it yet

I love Versus the World, Fate of Norms, With Oden on Our side, and even Twilight.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Man this summer of metal albums I'm stoked for just keeps giving.

July 9th
The Burial - In the Taking of Flesh
Battlecross - War of Will

July 16th
Trouble - The Distortion Field

July 23rd
Misery Signals - Absent Light

July 30th
Elitist - Between the Balance

August 20th
City in the Sea - Below the Noise
Crossfaith - Apocalyze
Sworn In - The Death Card

September 3rd
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

Valtýr

The new Children of Bodom seems pretty cool. I'm not a huge fan but it's pretty enjoyable.

And I just learned that the lead singer of Seventh Wonder is with Kamelot? Sucks to hear what happened with Roy Khan, he's an amazing vocalist. But Tommy Karevik is pretty darn great too.

lmpaler

Man this summer of metal albums I'm stoked for just keeps giving.

July 9th
The Burial - In the Taking of Flesh
Battlecross - War of Will

July 16th
Trouble - The Distortion Field

July 23rd
Misery Signals - Absent Light

July 30th
Elitist - Between the Balance

August 20th
City in the Sea - Below the Noise
Crossfaith - Apocalyze
Sworn In - The Death Card

September 3rd
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

Just saw City in the Sea at Mayhem. Pretty good I must say. Gave it there all and had like 30 people in front of them

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Just saw City in the Sea at Mayhem. Pretty good I must say. Gave it there all and had like 30 people in front of them

Yeah same when i saw them. Really went all out. I snagged a shirts from them cause honestly it was one of the stylish shirts there. Been listening to some of their new stuff for the new album. Choruses are catchy as fuck.

so metalgaf, what's the best Cult of Luna album? I've heard Vertikal and Salvation so far, and surprisingly I like Vertikal a lot more. I still don't know exactly why, but I like the generally darker sound, the heavy industrial/electronic elements, and also the vocals. What about the other ones?

so metalgaf, what's the best Cult of Luna album? I've heard Vertikal and Salvation so far, and surprisingly I like Vertikal a lot more. I still don't know exactly why, but I like the generally darker sound, the heavy industrial/electronic elements, and also the vocals. What about the other ones?

I like Somewhere Along The Highway, Salvation, and Eternal Kingdom. Their S/T and The Beyond are a lot more heavier, sludgier, and a lot tighter whereas their latest stuff is a bit more "loose" and somewhat similar to middle period-Neurosis.

As it being probably my favorite band and definitely my most listened one, I find it difficult to pick a particular CoL record over the others. It's one of the few bands that in my opinion can do no wrong. I would recommend you to listen to everything they have put out in order of release like I did, as I think the progression in their sound is very remarkable.

Ravager61

So anyone listen to the new Autopsy yet? I listened once today at work and thought it was really good. I've heard some people say it's boring but it sounds a solid Autopsy record to me which is never a bad thing.

blahness

So anyone listen to the new Autopsy yet? I listened once today at work and thought it was really good. I've heard some people say it's boring but it sounds a solid Autopsy record to me which is never a bad thing.

Solid is right. It sounds like an Autopsy album which is good. I love it and am glad it still sounds grimy and like some of their older stuff.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Saw Deafheaven tonight. Very good show. "The Pecan Tree" wasn't initially my favorite song on the new album, but after seeing them play it live, I think it might be now. The second half is just amazing.

faridmon

Can you criticise an album for being too long?
If yes, then the new Omnium Gatherum is way too long. I would have loved Beyond if it was 15 min shorter (basically cut the last song)

Havok is streaming their new album Unnatural Selection, although it's available for purchase as well

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/06/24/exclusive-full-album-stream-havoks-unnatural-selection/

Why do people hate Dying Fetus

This shit fucking rules

Nothing wrong with a little Dying Fetus. They're one of my go-to workout bands. Not something I listen to for brain engagement or anything but damn good for punching stuff.

Killing on Adrenaline is one of the very best of your basic slam style deathmetal albums ever written.

Gonna go run a few errands and give their new one a spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom