• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Man, would any of you (or anybody else in this thread) fine fellows be willing to recommend me some good albums in other genres? I WANT to experience other types of music, and I can appreciate any style that has genuine talent behind it, but I am just lost as to where I should start. I tried getting into hip-hop a couple weeks back (I was listening to Kanye and Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz and Wacka Flocka Flame) but almost 100% of the songs were either about fucking bitches, making money, or doing drugs (usually a combination of the three). It just felt gimmicky and shallow and I couldn't really find the motivation to keep exploring.

Anyway, I have an inherent trust of the musical opinions of people in this thread so I'd welcome anything outside of the realm of metal that anyone would be willing to throw my way.

It would probably be best if this was done via PM though, as to not derail any conversation here. Thanks in advance to any amigos willing to help me out!

I can give you some hiphop recommendations. Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz and Wacka are shit IMO. Which Kanye did you listen to? My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and College Graduate are good.

Anyways, some albums:

Nas - Illmatic
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (try this song for a surprise!)
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
GZA - Liquid Swords
Outkast - Aquemini
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Notorious BIG - Ready To Die
2Pac - Me Against The World
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (this one features rapping over a riff from Angel of Death!)
Ice Cube - The Predator
Eazy-E - Eazy-Duz-It
DMX - It's Dark and Hell Is Hot

lmpaler

I can give you some hiphop recommendations. Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz and Wacka are shit IMO. Which Kanye did you listen to? My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and College Graduate are good.

Anyways, some albums:

Nas - Illmatic
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Edit: Shit, hit enter too early, gimme a sec.

Don't forget DMX, Tupac.

Blackheim

Just listened to that today. Good stuff :)

I think MetalGuardian is more of a Power Metal dude (not my thing, really) but, let's see. I'm not sure what could appeal to that type of fan that I listen to. Let's take some wild stabs in the dark! Most of it will fall somewhere within the "Rock" genre anyway...

Aside from Dust, I was going to recommend that:

Nazareth - Loud 'N' Proud : Go Down Fighting

Yoshiki Fukuyama - Yellow House (I like pretty much all of his albums, he's like a throwback to those '70s bands haha) Hajimari no hi

Steve Perry - Street Talk : Captured By The Moment

ShamRain - Goodbye To All That (More 'Goth', less 'Rock') : Raindrops

Perturbator - I Am The Night ('80s cyberpunk synth-tastic) : I Am The Night

Deadboy and The Elephantmen - If This Is Hell, Then I'm Lucky (Just listen) : Waking Up Insane

Angel - Self-titled ('70s Rock) : Tower

Leaving some of my more, 'adventurous', stuff out of it :p

almost 100% of the songs were either about fucking bitches, making money, or doing drugs (usually a combination of the three). It just felt gimmicky and shallow and I couldn't really find the motivation to keep exploring.

I don't think most metal lyrics are any better.

Wow, thanks to everyone that has thrown me recommendations thus far. There's no way that I won't find SOMETHING to love out of everything that has been suggested. I'll listen to every band/song posted or sent via PM over the next several days. I'm surprisingly excited to give everything a try

You are right on the money, sire.

"Engulfed.
Consumed.
This pit.
My doom." So damn good.

EDIT: Actually, now that we're on the topic of Cannibal Corpse once again, I might mention my personal favourite from them. The video made of this song was the first song I ever heard from them and was my first real touch to death metal. Back in the spring of 1997, the disturbing material found on the video combined with the sheer extremity of the music gave me the royal heebie-jeebies. And not in a good way :D Only years later I started to "get" what death metal was about and decided to confront my earlier demons by listening to this dreaded song again. Only this time, it became an instant hit, haha.

Cannibal Corpse - Devoured by Vermin

Debating if I want to go to Rockstar Mayhem Fest.

I really only want to see Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom. Seeing Rob Zombie and Mastodon would be pretty cool too I guess.

Kaladin

Ouch.

1003442_473395816080286_1659799237_n.jpg

Ravager61

Deafhaven tonight. I am really interested on what type of audience will show up.

I'm jealous. I've heard their live show is intense and awesome but unfortunately, they aren't coming close to me on this tour. Let us know how it is.

Cro-mags are playing a show here tonight. Haven't decided if I'm going or not yet.

blahness

I'm jealous. I've heard their live show is intense and awesome but unfortunately, they aren't coming close to me on this tour. Let us know how it is.

Cro-mags are playing a show here tonight. Haven't decided if I'm going or not yet.

Just got back from Deafhaven and yes, it was intense. The lead singer openly grabs any hand that is up and holds on or touches them to share the emotion flowing from the music. It creates a very intimate experience and atmosphere which he uses to his advantage. It got the crowd moving and built enough trust for him to just lay on top of the crowd during the performance several times. Overall the songs sounded on par with the recordings and really did not deviate from the albums. Definitely see them if they come around.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Just got back from the Mayhem Festival in Mountain View. It was a lot smaller than Warped, but was set up a lot more conducive to see most all the acts. Warped had like 8 stages (with like two sets of twin stages right next to each other that would alternate acts playing) with a huge roster of artists. Mayhem, on the other hand, only had one twin-stage pair, a smaller stage for smaller acts, and the Main Stage in the amphitheatre, but the main stage only started up after all the other shows were done.

(Got through the gates slow and missed the first act Thrown Into Exile. Nothing to report.)

First act up for me: Huntress. Okay, I guess. Lead singer is fucking garbage. Attika 7 was next and they were even worse. Straight-up dudebro, Affliction tee metal. And not even remotely interesting.

At the small stage, it was supposed to opened up by three contest winning bands but I don't think the first winner showed. Wandering around between the small stage and the twin stages, I caught Battlecross (pretty damn good), contest-winners We Gave It Hell (fairly decent metalcore group from Las Vegas), Born of Osiris (decent show, pretty interesting sound), contest-winners Mudface (very good show from the Bay Area thrash group), Butcher Babies (okay; they basically seemed like a better Huntress, not what I was into though), City in the Sea (really good metalcore group. Would definitely see again) and Motionless in White (lots of energy, didn't really dig their look. Was alright though).

At this point I basically just stayed at the twin stages (I did not watch Scorpion Child). Job for a Cowboy was a blast. Really crazy show, fun crowd. Emmure was a fucking party. Probably one of the better acts there, imo. Machine Head and Children of Bodom closed out the twin stages. Fantastic shows, I really enjoyed them.

Moving into the main stage to close the night, we start with the great Amon Amarth. Pretty sweet show. Their stage setup was fucking killer with that viking ship for the drummer. Very tight sound.

Mastodon followed. Simple stage setup, with a no-nonsense-no-crowd-banter-play-the-hits set. Incredible show. They sound amazing live.

Five Finger Death Punch came next. I'm not a fan of theirs at all and their music is pretty boring, but Ivan is really good singer live. I honestly expected a lot worse but still kinda a cheesy show.

(I wasn't interested at all in Rob Zombie and was getting cold. Took off early to beat the rush home.)

Overall, it was a good experience. Rockstar Energy was really good and gave out free drinks the entire day. That was really killer. Having less stages and acts made it a lot easier to see all the groups, but honestly, I felt the selection was kinda...lacking in comparison to Warped. I definitely had a better time at Warped, tbh, I still had a good time at Mayhem.

Just got back from the Mayhem Festival in Mountain View. It was a lot smaller than Warped, but was set up a lot more conducive to see most all the acts. Warped had like 8 stages (with like two sets of twin stages right next to each other that would alternate acts playing) with a huge roster of artists. Mayhem, on the other hand, only had one twin-stage pair, a smaller stage for smaller acts, and the Main Stage in the amphitheatre, but the main stage only started up after all the other shows were done.

(Got through the gates slow and missed the first act Thrown Into Exile. Nothing to report.)

First act up for me: Huntress. Okay, I guess. Lead singer is fucking garbage. Attika 7 was next and they were even worse. Straight-up dudebro, Affliction tee metal. And not even remotely interesting.

At the small stage, it was supposed to opened up by three contest winning bands but I don't think the first winner showed. Wandering around between the small stage and the twin stages, I caught Battlecross (pretty damn good), contest-winners We Gave It Hell (fairly decent metalcore group from Las Vegas), Born of Osiris (decent show, pretty interesting sound), contest-winners Mudface (very good show from the Bay Area thrash group), Butcher Babies (okay; they basically seemed like a better Huntress, not what I was into though), City in the Sea (really good metalcore group. Would definitely see again) and Motionless in White (lots of energy, didn't really dig their look. Was alright though).

At this point I basically just stayed at the twin stages (I did not watch Scorpion Child). Job for a Cowboy was a blast. Really crazy show, fun crowd. Emmure was a fucking party. Probably one of the better acts there, imo. Machine Head and Children of Bodom closed out the twin stages. Fantastic shows, I really enjoyed them.

Moving into the main stage to close the night, we start with the great Amon Amarth. Pretty sweet show. Their stage setup was fucking killer with that viking ship for the drummer. Very tight sound.

Mastodon followed. Simple stage setup, with a no-nonsense-no-crowd-banter-play-the-hits set. Incredible show. They sound amazing live.

Five Finger Death Punch came next. I'm not a fan of theirs at all and their music is pretty boring, but Ivan is really good singer live. I honestly expected a lot worse but still kinda a cheesy show.

(I wasn't interested at all in Rob Zombie and was getting cold. Took off early to beat the rush home.)

Overall, it was a good experience. Rockstar Energy was really good and gave out free drinks the entire day. That was really killer. Having less stages and acts made it a lot easier to see all the groups, but honestly, I felt the selection was kinda...lacking in comparison to Warped. I definitely had a better time at Warped, tbh, I still had a good time at Mayhem.

Awesome impressions man! I think I may go and just leave after Mastadon. I've seen Zombie before and I don't care for FFDP. Beating the crowd seems like a good call too.

I know I'm kinda late to the party, but Sunbather is a fucking great album. Exactly the stuff I like to listen to after a long day of work.

The new Manegarm is also very good if you like that kind of metal.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Awesome impressions man! I think I may go and just leave after Mastadon. I've seen Zombie before and I don't care for FFDP. Beating the crowd seems like a good call too.

No problem man, I like posting reviews here. I picked up CDs from We Gave It Hell and Mudface for super cheap at the show so I'll probably post reviews of them too.

I'm sure if you dig RZ, you'd enjoy it, though you'll have to slog through 5FDP. I also definitely liked the fans (in general) at Warped more than I did Mayhem.

Also note that I think the three contest-winning-bands-thing changes with the city/venue. So, whenever you go, I'm like 99% sure that you'll have three different bands versus the no-show-band/We Gave It Hell/Mudface line-up that I saw.

rObit

Banned
I've had some time now to listen to the new August Burns Red album. Man, you weren't kidding Orion, the spoken-word stuff on Spirit Breaker is awful. The rest is at least passable, but man, it's rough there. Reminiscent of high school kids getting called on by the teacher to read in English class.

I think their random instrumentals are hit-or-miss on this album. I like it on Treatment, less so on Creative Captivity. To their credit, at least they contain most of that stuff within Creative Captivity.

That said, there are some really strong tracks, my favorites so far are Treatment, Beauty in Tragedy, Fault Line, and Echoes.

Hoping the rest of the album will grow on me. It's an interesting album to say the least.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
As much as I love Sunbather, every time I listen to it I can't help but get annoyed by the fact that "Dream House" (at :35-40ish) and "Sunbather" (at 3:25-30ish) have virtually the same little two-second guitar melody. I'm forced to listen for it every time and it irks me.

obin_gam

Damn! Queensÿches (the real one, not Taterÿche) new album is really really good! Not as good as Operation: Mindcrime (no album in existence is) but this is proving to be their next best album for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom