• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

lol randomly decided to check out a band from your list (not really up to date with metal this year, kinda stuck in listening old stuff over and over again idk why :( )

only listened to the first song that came up on youtube (unspoken in this case) and really liked it
talk about blind luck finding a good band ^^

also sen 2 people mention the new volbeat, really that good then?

Kylesa is a good band to take on a blind recommendation, their new album is great.

As for Volbeat:

Room 24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHPhII997w

FYC

Banned
Suffocation_-_Blood_Oath_album_cover.jpg

Pray For Forgiveness

Let's get some love for Blood Oath in here

edit: Wtf, Frank Mullen is in a Suicide Silence song?!

Weird.

Quackula

edit: Wtf, Frank Mullen is in a Suicide Silence song?!

Weird.

Suffo's been chasing the deathcore train for a long time now. Not musically, but they've toured with deathcore bands a lot. I guess they figure since they're a big influence on that style that deathcore fans would appreciate them. Though I'm always hearing stories about all the deathcore kiddies leaving when Suffocation shows up at shows though. Sad.

So, half the year is up pretty much. What are your guys favorite albums so far?

For me, in no particular order:

• Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell
  • Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
  • Children Of Bodom - Halo of Blood
  • Black Sabbath - 13
  • Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies

Favorites so far, no order:

• The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
  • Black Sabbath -13
  • Children of Bobom - Halo of Blood
  • Battlecross - War of Wills

blahness

For me, in no particular order:

• Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell
  • Children Of Bodom - Halo of Blood
  • Black Sabbath - 13
  • Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies

Mine in no kind of order:

• Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
  • Inter Arma - Sky Burial
  • Nails - Abandon All Life
  • VHÖL - VHÖL
  • Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
  • Deafheaven - Sunbather
  • Aosoth - IV: Arrow In Heart
  • Primitive Man - Scorn

I appreciate a wide variety of metal, always will, but I can not fathom how The Dillinger Escape Plan is a thing. Even when they try less obnoxious material, it's average. They are borderline unlistenable live, and their act is embarrassing. If there's a best of the year list and this band is somehow in the discussion, the list should be shorter.

Kaladin

I appreciate a wide variety of metal, always will, but I can not fathom how The Dillinger Escape Plan is a thing. Even when they try less obnoxious material, it's average. They are borderline unlistenable live, and their act is embarrassing. If there's a best of the year list and this band is somehow in the discussion, the list should be shorter.

I kinda feel the same way, but I just know I'm not as big of a fan of that much noise and chaos in my metal.

pablito

metal:

nails - abandon all life
bolzer - aura
rorcal - vilagvege
lantern - below
antediluvian - logos
tyrant goatgaldrakona - horns in the dark

non metal:

thee oh sees - floating coffin
run the jewels - run the jewels
justin timberlake - 20/20 experience
the knife - shaking the habitual
sigur ros - kveikur

Kaladin

Not sure if this is thread worthy, but I always love laughing at Fred Durst so here we go:

This is a selection from Al Jourgensen's new autobiography about how he got Fred Durst to get naked in a studio:

"The Limp-dickster motherfucker, whatever his name is. I got him naked and in a cowboy hat [in a recording studio]! I'm showing him, 'Look, you want my sound? This is my sound. This is what I use.' And he wouldn't believe it because just by hitting the magic button on the harmonizer that it wouldn't make him sound exactly like me. He was that naïve. I'm like, 'Well, try the cowboy hat.' So I gave him my cowboy hat. . . and it still sounded like shit. So I go, 'Why don't you try and get naked? That's how I sing.' I was just bullshitting him. So he goes out and does that, and is thoroughly embarrassed, again. And then he just left. I got paid to just humiliate him for three songs. It was awesome."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...eavy-new-autobiography-20130708#ixzz2YTTDaqx4

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I downloaded this album from Bandcamp a long time ago, but just recently gave it a fair spin. HOLY SHIT.

Sioum - I Am Mortal, But Was Fiend

http://sioum.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-mortal-but-was-fiend

This thing is cinematic like no other. Instrumental post-metal/post-rock from a three-piece group out of Chicago. For an indie debut album (released in 2010), this thing is utterly phenomenal. Fantastic drumming, amazing instrumentation, and utterly captivating effect work. This thing honestly feels like I'm listening to an original movie soundtrack, and not some lazily pumped out Hollywood blockbuster OST or the like. The album is just so cold, yet so alive and epic. The roaring, layered guitars and complex, driving drums are perfectly punctuated by dualistic piano and synth parts that at times drive the guitars to even farther heights, and at other subdue the emotion to lonely introspection, as if our hypothetical movie's protagonist was looking off a rooftop at the ruinous and abandoned city he once called home. To make matters even better, expertly recorded and placed foley effects, nylon guitars, and stereo recordings of the outside real-word lace the music of the album just oh so right.

Some of the production of the recording are a little flat or subpar, but honestly, I gladly overlooked it and I really am enjoying the hell out of this album. I really suggest picking up this album (pay-what-you-want for digital download on bandcamp)

xist

So I downloaded this album from Bandcamp a long time ago, but just recently gave it a fair spin. HOLY SHIT.

Sioum - I Am Mortal, But Was Fiend)

After reading your glowing recommendation i decided it was worth a go but i think after a listen and a half i'm a bit less impressed than you. It was ok (i felt it got better later on when it was heavier) but there was nothing that really grabbed or engaged me. Instrumental bands like Scale the Summit and Mendel sit better with me than this one. Although that sounds quite harsh i do intend to check out their other releases though.

A review summed Sioum up as Instrumental Tool which is something i don't see at all. I could also have done without that running back and forth then hitting a chain link fence sample as i don't feel it added anything.

Melchiah

I listened to Winter's Into Darkness album (1990) last night, and I think it's still one of the best doom metal albums. Apparently they're planning to make another album after over two decades.

Servants of the Warsmen
http://youtu.be/bi2REgByOqs
"RROOOIIIIISSSEEEEE tatata tan tatata tan tatata ta ta ta tan"

Enosh

Kylesa is a good band to take on a blind recommendation, their new album is great.
indeed it is, thanks again for putting it on that list ^^

looking into them also made me look deeper into that whole sludge/stoner/post metal or whatever the hell it is scene (I'm sorry if there are any big differences between those, it all kinda blends together for me ^^)
some good stuff in there to be found

I listened to Winter's Into Darkness album (1990) last night, and I think it's still one of the best doom metal albums. Apparently they're planning to make another album after over two decades.

Servants of the Warsmen
http://youtu.be/bi2REgByOqs
"RROOOIIIIISSSEEEEE tatata tan tatata tan tatata ta ta ta tan"

I love that album. I get such a weak feeling listening to it. Saw them live a couple of years ago and they sound exactly the same as the album, which can be good or bad haha.

FYC

Banned
Suffocation needs to hurry up and re-record Breeding The Spawn in its entirety, not song by song over the years.

JUST FINISH THE WHOLE THING PLEASEEEEE

So much teasing. Just three left! THREE MORE.

Was introduced to Haapoja through Absvrdist (who are also fucking rad). They apparently describe themselves as "Virus / Deathspell Omega influenced hardcore" and it's absolutely evil sounding and amazing.

FACE

Banned
Yes you are right. I love the dirty sound on Human Waste. Just saying they've already re-recorded half of the songs from Human Waste for other albums.

Have they re-recorded the title track? The production on it is completely different from the other songs.

Ravager61

Call me crazy but I never had much of an issue with Breeding the Spawn's production. It does sound different than their other stuff but also kind of unique.

I'm a sucker for early 90's death metal production though and like a certain amount of rawness and even muddiness in my death metal.

FACE

Banned
Effigy of the Forgotten has the right amounts of rawness and muddiness, unfortunately they took the muddiness to 11 on BtS.

FYC

Banned
Call me crazy but I never had much of an issue with Breeding the Spawn's production. It does sound different than their other stuff but also kind of unique.

I'm a sucker for early 90's death metal production though and like a certain amount of rawness and even muddiness in my death metal.

It's alright but the other tracks sound awesome re-recorded, and they only have 3 left. Might as well just finish 'er up.

Marital Decimation

Ravager61

Effigy of the Forgotten has the right amounts of rawness and muddiness, unfortunately they took the muddiness to 11 on BtS.

Totally agree with you. I'm just saying if they finished re-recording the whole album with modern production, I'd still listen to the original.

FACE

Banned
Totally agree with you. I'm just saying if they finished re-recording the whole album with modern production, I'd still listen to the original.

It'd be cool if they re-recorded BtS with Pierced from Within's production, the re-recorded title track sounds amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom