• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coma1138

Banned
If you like grindcore or powerviolence, I'd suggest checking out Sick/Tired and Sea of Shit. They're both from Chicago and they're doing an East Coast tour together in early August.

8/3 - Lima, OH @ The Leathershop
8/4 - Buffalo, NY @ The Polish Library (366 fillmore)
8/5 - Easthampton, MA @ Flywheel Arts (43 main Street)
8/6 - Brooklyn, NY @ Silent Barn
8/7 - Philly, PA @ Pariah House (near 20th & Tasker)
8/8 - Washington DC @ The Dugout (1498 Douglas St. NE)
8/9 - Richmond, VA @ Strange Matter (early show 6pm)
8/10 - Pittsburgh, PA @ 3030 Haus
8/11 - Indianapolis, IN @ The Pisshaus (4442 Primrose)

(I book grindcore shows in NYC, so on the off chance anyone is into that kinda stuff, let me know, can suggest more.)

I'm gonna need to search through some of Southern Lord's stuff
Martyrdöd

Anyone else here like Warbringer?

I can't wait for their new album in a few months!

Also still on the fence with Mayhem fest this Sat. I really just want to see CoB and Amon. I wish they would come close to Chicago instead of doing that one-off in St. Louis.

Kaladin

Ravager61

Anyone else here like Warbringer?

I can't wait for their new album in a few months!

Also still on the fence with Mayhem fest this Sat. I really just want to see CoB and Amon. I wish they would come close to Chicago instead of doing that one-off in St. Louis.

No way man. I'm going to the St. Louis date.

Enosh

*looks into youtube sub box*
The Ocean "Bathyalpelagic II: The Wish in Dreams" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
oh cool, lets check this out

" This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on nudity or sexual content. "

lol
need to track it down now ^^

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Randomly listening to some Wolves in the Throne Room today, and god damn "Behold the Vastness and Sorrow" off Two Hunters is so amazing, love how it builds over time. When it gets to the halfway point, makes goosebumps pop up every damn time.

You all have any songs that do that for you? Songs that raise the hair on the back of your neck, or make you close you eyes and just nod along, grooving....

Randomly listening to some Wolves in the Throne Room today, and god damn "Behold the Vastness and Sorrow" off Two Hunters is so amazing, love how it builds over time. When it gets to the halfway point, makes goosebumps pop up every damn time.

You all have any songs that do that for you? Songs that raise the hair on the back of your neck, or make you close you eyes and just nod along, grooving....

Limbs from Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain is definitely something like that. Listening to the album on a nice cold day is wonderful.

Kaladin

Wolves in the Throne Room is the pinnacle of American black metal. I have yet to hear better. Just wish they recorded and toured more often.

Ravager61

Warning - Footprints

That fucking song man....

Iron Maiden - Where Eagles Dare. Right after the long middle section with the solos, the verse riff and the drums that come back together.

And just about every dueling solos in early King Diamond stuff from Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy.

Ixion

Meshuggah - Bleed

At about 2:40. Dat riffage. Pure metal bliss.

The video goes really well with it too.

RDreamer

A lot of songs do that for me. In the realm of metal Agalloch does that quite a bit. In particular the part of Our Fortress is Burning II when he's screaming "Dying bloodbirds..." through the end of it always makes my hair stand up.

Vigil by Lamb of God. Ruin gets me going too.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Trenches's just put up a IndieGoGo campaign for their sophomore/reunion/farewell album, Reckoner. Their only other release, The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole, is perhaps one of my favorite records, bar none.

391492_10150952033232064_2067973067_n.jpg

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/trenches-reckoner-2013
https://soundcloud.com/digtrenches

I'm listening to Iron Maiden's Brave New World right now. In my opinion it's still their most underrated album. It's not in the same tier as Number of the Beast, Powerslave or Piece of Mind but very close. Blood Brothers, The Wicker Man, Ghost of Navigator, Dream of Mirrors... awesome songs.

I'm listening to Iron Maiden's Brave New World right now. In my opinion it's still their most underrated album. It's not in the same tier as Number of the Beast, Powerslave or Piece of Mind but very close. Blood Brothers, The Wicker Man, Ghost of Navigator, Dream of Mirrors... awesome songs.

In my opinion it is a top-tier maiden album, and piece of mind is far far below the others mentioned in your post. As a younger person who got into the band well after their original hayday, I was stunned when I eventually noticed the release dates of each album and saw that BNW was released way the hell after the fact.

Piece of mind was the most disappointing part of their discography. The Trooper was obviously one of the first maiden tracks I ever heard, and most of the album failed to live up to that track's promise. I listen to that album with like 1/10th the frequency of most others.

I do not know any older metal fans in real life but the other younger maiden fans I know share this opinion.

FYC

Banned
Fuck Megadeth's Super Collider

Haven't listened to the album but I keep hearing that damn song everywhere it's so godaaaawwwwfffuuuuuullll

Endgame ruled though

Morbid Saint time

Piece of mind was the most disappointing part of their discography. The Trooper was obviously one of the first maiden tracks I ever heard, and most of the album failed to live up to that track's promise. I listen to that album with like 1/10th the frequency of most others.

I do not know any older metal fans in real life but the other younger maiden fans I know share this opinion.

the fuck?

Every song on Piece of Mind except for Quest For Fire is brilliant. IMO no other Maiden album has the perfect balance of heaviness and clarity of Piece of Mind.

You have to admit Quest for Fire is pretty catchy! It always was one of my secret favourites from that album, haha! :D Piece Of Mind is in my top 3 Iron Maiden albums for sure.

coma1138

Banned
Maryland Deathfest is making their first announcement tomorrow and putting some discounted tickets on sale. The bands so far are pretty killer, so if you have money tomorrow, I'd suggest considering getting the discounted tix:

"Saturday, July 27th.

On this date, we'll be launching a new website and announcing between 10-15 bands that have confirmed to play MDF XII (May 22-25, 2014).

Also, in connection with the website launch and bands being announced, we'll be offering a discounted early bird special for the all day/all bands pass for MDF 2014, which would be ideal for those who wish to guarantee themselves a ticket for all days/bands and not worry about future sold out options. Only 100 of these will be available and it will save you $25-$50 in the long run. "

Kaladin

Corrections House - Last City Zero

CH_LP_COVER_LARGE_HIRES-e1374759838536.jpg

Recent Neurot Recordings signees CORRECTIONS HOUSE — Mike IX Williams (Eyehategod), Scott Kelly (Neurosis), Bruce Lamont (Yakuza), Sanford Parker (Minsk) and their minister of propaganda, Seward Fairbury — will release their debut full-length this Fall. Titled Last City Zero, the eight-track, near 50-minute offering was produced by Sanford Parker at Electrical Audio, Soma Studios, 60 Psycho Hum and Nodferatu’s Lair and delivers a wholly cerebral, impossible-to-pinpoint kaleidoscopic synthesis of mechanical decomposition, atmospheric abnormalities, and poetic putrefaction.

Last City Zero Track Listing:
1. Serve or Survive
2. Bullets and Graves
3. Party Leg and Three Fingers
4. Run Through the Night
5. Dirt Poor and Mentally Ill
6. Hallows of the Stream
7. Last City Zero
8. Drapes Hung by Jesus

A mysterious cooperative of lost souls, forged unwittingly by the impetuous forces of nature and altered states of consciousness, CORRECTIONS HOUSE is without control of their destiny. Boundless in their genre voyage, CORRECTIONS HOUSE embrace the unkind, the diseased, the forgotten, the morose, their lush anti-soundscrapes and shadowy verses — at once beautifully hideous, graceful and terrifying — a manifestation of societal ruin and psychological decay. The transformation of time and space; death begetting life and veils being torn; an imposing dissonance too penetrating to dismiss… CORRECTIONS HOUSE systematically create and destroy through audio disease and transcendent musical deconstruction. All things in all ways. There is nothing else.

Last City Zero will be released in North America on October 29, 2013 via Neurot Recordings.

some more new 70s Sabbath/stoner/pysch.

Black Prism - Satan's Country

"On 'Satan’s Country', Black Prism successfully turn out an instant classic in the realm of early 70s BLACK SABBATH inspired acid rock with a Manson Family aesthetic that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. An unholy conception of hard rock ritual and cinematic kismet; like a shot in the vein of fellow ‘born-outta-timers’ UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS and KADAVAR."

- Brave Words

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Dumb comment, but I can't help it. Every time I see the "Mental Health OT" on the Community forum, I just think of Quiet Riot.

BANG YOUR HEAD. METAL HEALTH WILL DRIVE YOU MAD!!!

Anyway, I'm listening to Ashes of the Wake for the first time in years and remembering how fucking awesome Lamb of God was at the top of their game. Now You've Got Something to Die For makes me want to run through a brick wall.

some more new 70s Sabbath/stoner/pysch.

Black Prism - Satan's Country

Eeeh, With Sabbath being one of my top 5 favourite bands..I don't know...I really can't stand most Sabbath clones. I get what they are trying to do but some of those bands are going so far to even imitate Ozzy's voice and stage behaviour (Orchid), yet never feeling real to me. It's like a circus act! I don't really like the new Sabbath album either but at least they had a decade or two of originality. Just my personal opinion.

coma1138

Banned
"The following bands have already confirmed for MDF XII:

AT THE GATES (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
TAAKE (Norway)
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
MGLA (Poland)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
BONGRIPPER
HEMDALE
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)

We thought there would be more to announce today, including a band that will definitely headline one of the days, but that will take another week or two to finalize. Expect the next announcement in about 2 weeks.

Notes: At the Gates, Taake, Solstafir, and MGLA will be making exclusive US appearances at MDF.

We have a feeling many of you will ask what's going on with Carpathian Forest, so here's what's going on. We had preliminary discussion with them right after MDF XI and all parties understand what needs to be done for them to come to the US next year, but since our contact person for the band has been on vacation with no access to e-mail, we have to wait until he's back before confirming that officially. So, as of now, they are NOT confirmed, but chances are likely that they will confirm sometime soon."

blahness

"The following bands have already confirmed for MDF XII:

AT THE GATES (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
TAAKE (Norway)
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
MGLA (Poland)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
BONGRIPPER
HEMDALE
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)

We thought there would be more to announce today, including a band that will definitely headline one of the days, but that will take another week or two to finalize. Expect the next announcement in about 2 weeks.

Notes: At the Gates, Taake, Solstafir, and MGLA will be making exclusive US appearances at MDF.

We have a feeling many of you will ask what's going on with Carpathian Forest, so here's what's going on. We had preliminary discussion with them right after MDF XI and all parties understand what needs to be done for them to come to the US next year, but since our contact person for the band has been on vacation with no access to e-mail, we have to wait until he's back before confirming that officially. So, as of now, they are NOT confirmed, but chances are likely that they will confirm sometime soon."

Cannot wait for Taake, ATG, and MGLA. Gonna try getting my tickets tonight. I predict Entombed will be announced for next year.

Just started to get into Candlemass.

Messiah Marcolin is an amazing vocalist.

Edit:
Great, their Nightfall album has me listening to every rendition of Marche Funebre I can find.

MetalGAF, now I need some metal renditions of classical music! Except Trans Siberian.

FYC

Banned
Just started to get into Candlemass.

Messiah Marcolin is an amazing vocalist.

Edit:
Great, their Nightfall album has me listening to every rendition of Marche Funebre I can find.

MetalGAF, now I need some metal renditions of classical music! Except Trans Siberian.

I always thought Jason Becker's criminally underrated Perspective was a fantastic mix of classical and rock/metal.

Regiruler

Been listening to some Power Quest over and over again for some reason. Damn these guys were under-appreciated.

I want to get my hands on a copy of the Japanese edition of Magic Never Dies, but I'm not spending $30 extra for "The Longest Night", even if it is one of their best songs, period.

On the other hand Wings of Destiny is reasonably cheap so I should grab a copy. Would have expected the price to go up by now but no skin off my back if it hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom