• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

I just noticed that some genius booked both Rockstar Mayhem Fest and Summer Slaughter in Atlanta on the same day. Summer Slaughter announced their dates months after Mayhem dates were public so they kinda shot themselves in the foot on this one.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I just noticed that some genius booked both Rockstar Mayhem Fest and Summer Slaughter in Atlanta on the same day. Summer Slaughter announced their dates months after Mayhem dates were public so they kinda shot themselves in the foot on this one.

wow now that's a fuck up.

Watevaman

Back from the show. Fucking amazing, both bands. Skeletonwitch had a killer pit going on and Ghost had everyone singing along like mad.

Nopren

Damn you, and your early release date (Euro-peasant here). Will find a way to listen to it today, and then buy it at release.

rObit

Banned
Anybody here go to Summer Slaughter yet? I want to go but I'm really not into the Dillinger Escape Plan. I was wondering if anyone here knew how the sets were laid out, if Dillinger had a huge one and the bands I want to see get short sets or what. I would mostly want to see Periphery and Animals as Leaders.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Anybody here go to Summer Slaughter yet? I want to go but I'm really not into the Dillinger Escape Plan. I was wondering if anyone here knew how the sets were laid out, if Dillinger had a huge one and the bands I want to see get short sets or what. I would mostly want to see Periphery and Animals as Leaders.

I've been meaning to see AaL and Periphery as well. Though, I did read a review someplace that was more or less like "Periphery's live show is a bit of a joke; they lack dynamics, Spencer can't stop himself from randomly shouting obscenities into the microphone the whole time, and Misha legitimately thought he could sell a signed strap for $50" or something along those lines. And those first two point basically summed up what I hated about their second album, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Not that I wouldn't see them maybe once at least though.

rObit

Banned
I've been meaning to see AaL and Periphery as well. Though, I did read a review someplace that was more or less like "Periphery's live show is a bit of a joke; they lack dynamics, Spencer can't stop himself from randomly shouting obscenities into the microphone the whole time, and Misha legitimately thought he could sell a signed strap for $50" or something along those lines. And those first two point basically summed up what I hated about their second album, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Not that I wouldn't see them maybe once at least though.

Yeah from what I've seen of their live stuff on Youtube the point about Spencer is probably true. Not sure how the comment about Misha really matters unless he was trying to do it mid-set? And for what it's worth I really loved their second album, all it needed was another Racecar, but to each their own I guess.

Kaladin

The mother fucking Doomriders are back!

999395_10151634651033101_77436101_n.jpg
In stores October 15th.

"Grand Blood" from Doomriders is the follow up to their highly regarded 2010 album "Darkness Comes Alive". "Grand Blood" was engineered by Kurt Ballou at God City Studios, and features artwork from Thomas Hooper as well as packaging from Ryan Patterson (Coliseum) and J. Bannon.

Where "Darkness Comes Alive" was smooth and heavy in tone "Grand Blood" is jagged and hard in its heart. "Grand Blood" is Doomriders pushing themselves into wilder sonic territory previously unexplored by the band. In songs like "Back Taxes" and "Bad Vibes", an angular noise rock influence takes the lead, creating a harsh and charged environment. Not to fret, the hooks Doomriders are known for are as sharp as ever though, sinking into songs like the personal "Dead Friends" and melodious and emotional "Gone to Hell". Two songs that impressively showcase Nate Newton's evolving vocal ability. While monsters "Father Midnight", "New Pyramids", and "Death In Heat" are Doomriders at their heaviest and discordant to date. All complimented by new drummer Q (Magic Circle, Clouds, etc), whose frantic style powers this genre crossing masterpiece.

TRACK LISTING:
01. New Pyramids
02. Mankind
03. Grand Blood
04. Bad Vibes
05. Dead Friends
06. Death In Heat
07. We Live In The Shadows
08. Gone To Hell
09. Back Taxes
10. Father Midnight

The stop at my show went like this:

Local band: 20 minute set
Every other band that wasn't Norma Jean, Periphery, AAL, Dillinger: 25 minutes
Norma Jean, Periphery, AAL: 40 minutes
Dillinger: 1 hour

I only stayed for Aeon, Revocation, and The Ocean because as much as I wanted to see Dillinger for their live show, I can not stand Periphery or AAL. This was pretty much their worst year since I started going to the tour in 2009, the openers could have at least gotten 30-35 minute sets.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
New Ulcerate track dropped. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5SkcwHykU0&list=PLq6NULtuhFunqjFBBwgHfQXurgyKzCEpJ&index=1

Their last album was my favorite release from 2011 and it looks like they're continuing to bring it.
Really liking this track. I thought I was growing a bit tired of them but this is really good.

And here's another new killer Dead in the Dirt track from the new LP that's out next week:

https://soundcloud.com/earsplit/dead-in-the-dirt-no-chain

rObit

Banned
The stop at my show went like this:

Local band: 20 minute set
Every other band that wasn't Norma Jean, Periphery, AAL, Dillinger: 25 minutes
Norma Jean, Periphery, AAL: 40 minutes
Dillinger: 1 hour

I only stayed for Aeon, Revocation, and The Ocean because as much as I wanted to see Dillinger for their live show, I can not stand Periphery or AAL. This was pretty much their worst year since I started going to the tour in 2009, the openers could have at least gotten 30-35 minute sets.

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Sucks that the openers get such short sets, but I might still give it a go.

On another note, I just grabbed Intervals' "In Time" EP, and it's damn good. I'm a bit late to the party on that, but yeah they're great.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah from what I've seen of their live stuff on Youtube the point about Spencer is probably true. Not sure how the comment about Misha really matters unless he was trying to do it mid-set? And for what it's worth I really loved their second album, all it needed was another Racecar, but to each their own I guess.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant by that, either.

Idk, Periphery II just seemed like a mess. It had it moments, but the more I started to listen to it the more I realized it was just kinda...poorly written but really well produced. The worst was when probably I start to dig into the lyrics, which were just straight up bad, and that is pretty much all Spencer's fault because he wrote all the lyrics on the second but wasn't even in the band when they wrote the lyrics for the first.

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Sucks that the openers get such short sets, but I might still give it a go.

On another note, I just grabbed Intervals' "In Time" EP, and it's damn good. I'm a bit late to the party on that, but yeah they're great.

In Time is really, really good, yeah.

RDreamer

New Ulver hits tomorrow. So hype.

Oh shit, really?

How are they doing the release? Digital only for a while or something? I know they had a big post about that sort of stuff a while back, and I never caught how they were going to sell this one and when. Wonder if it'll be on that app they've got right away. That'd be awesome, since I have that thing.

edit: Apparently there's a CD version here, but it's limited. Might pick that up.

Kaladin

I thought some of you might enjoy this....

Cutthroat Shamrock w/ James Hunnicutt (vocals) covering Slayer's Raining Blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0l6z4SHaVc

Great cover from a roots/bluegrass band with a vocalist they don't normally work with. The band usually does this instrumental in their regular sets. The vocals are a bit high in the mix for Slayer, and the timing might be a bit off but it's still good.

ManeKast

No way Moonsorrow just announced Australian dates! End of 2013 is going to be epic: Behemoth, Nile, Sleep, Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani and Enslaved!

Listened to all of Carcass - Surgical Steel, they should have just called it Rot 'N Roll Part 2 haha.

It is definitely the missing link between Necroticism and Heartwork though. Thin Lizzy harmonies all over, Heartwork style riffing, and Necroticism grindy-ness.

Guitar tone is more close to the Heartwork tone, drums sound like any thick plodding Andy Sneap mix (fuck that guy).

I think this album will do well, it's pretty focused and sounds like they havent lost anything.

rObit

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant by that, either.

Idk, Periphery II just seemed like a mess. It had it moments, but the more I started to listen to it the more I realized it was just kinda...poorly written but really well produced. The worst was when probably I start to dig into the lyrics, which were just straight up bad, and that is pretty much all Spencer's fault because he wrote all the lyrics on the second but wasn't even in the band when they wrote the lyrics for the first.

Oh god, why would you do that? Haha, I kid, but I could've guessed as much. Some of his lyrics flow poorly as well, but I think his harmonization improved greatly over the first album.

recommend metal bands like Killswitch Engage and August Burns Red please

Here's a few you might like:

All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals

Parkway Drive - Killing With A Smile

Unearth - The March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom