• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
recommend metal bands like Killswitch Engage and August Burns Red please

Haste the Day
Demon Hunter
This or the Apocalypse
Texas in July
Upon a Burning Body

Oh god, why would you do that? Haha, I kid, but I could've guessed as much. Some of his lyrics flow poorly as well, but I think his harmonization improved greatly over the first album.

Cause I write poetry and I like lyricism? :p I will give it that his skill as a singer was much improved.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I've seen them once with mastodon..so that tells you how long ago that was. No really i dont even know what year it was.

Kaladin

I've seen them once with mastodon..so that tells you how long ago that was. No really i dont even know what year it was.

I saw them open for Opeth once back in 2008 before I saw them on the Blue Record tour. When I saw them open they didn't seem to be as into that performance as they were the night I saw them in Atlanta.

waypoetic

Banned
recommend metal bands like Killswitch Engage and August Burns Red please

Seeing that those two bands are very different from each other... As far as August Burns Red goes i'd recommend:

Miss May I - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ir4cKh8Ivo
Woe, Is Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUFyBjFrmU4
Like Moths To Flames - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NS2bbx6jU
Obey The Brave - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfkTG5QqtY
Parkway Drive - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafGJQXGFuY

When it comes to Killswitch, well, what era of Killswitch? If i mix it up i'd go with these:

Bury Your Dead - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3n_sJqrf4c
Periphery - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUltTV3t4OM
A Bullet For A Pretty Boy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryh5k8qii4A

Take a look at those and let me know.

Archon473

I need a simple drum tracking program to put together some demo tracks. Tone is not my concern; I just want something more interesting than a metronome to accompany some guitar riffs. Cost has to be free and I'm working on a PC. Any recommendations?

In the meantime:
tumblr_lxzaoiS02O1qcyrwxo1_500.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I need a simple drum tracking program to put together some demo tracks. Tone is not my concern; I just want something more interesting than a metronome to accompany some guitar riffs. Cost has to be free and I'm working on a PC. Any recommendations?

EZDrummer and SuperiorDrummer are pretty popular, I think. I've never used it myself, though they are pretty pricey proprietary software.

As you're looking for something freeware to use, maybe Hydrogen? It's made for Linux but you can get it to work on Windows.

FYC

Banned
I think people are generally going to be better off asking in a thread that gets traffic rather than a 3 year old dead thread or a thread that's gotten no posts in a week. :p

I'm sure you guys mean well, but telling fans of certain subgenres they should go elsewhere can be a little off-putting.

And hot damn, has this thread really been going since 2006? That's pretty crazy.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that, I just thought he could look through there for some recommendations :x

I think people are generally going to be better off asking in a thread that gets traffic rather than a 3 year old dead thread or a thread that's gotten no posts in a week. :p

I'm sure you guys mean well, but telling fans of certain subgenres they should go elsewhere can be a little off-putting.

And hot damn, has this thread really been going since 2006? That's pretty crazy.

Ah, I think FACE is just jokingly being an asshole, it's ok.

Thread is old but I remember it being created exactly around the time when I started lurking GAF

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ha, that's pretty awesome. Never realized that because it's been so long since I've looked at the first page. It's been seeing a lot more action lately, too, which is cool.

Kaladin

I don't know if it's awesome that this thread has been going that long, or sad that it has taken us that long to hit 20k posts for a Metal Thread 2.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I don't know if it's awesome that this thread has been going that long, or sad that it has taken us that long to hit 20k posts for a Metal Thread 2.

I think the speed has generally increased fairly well. We admittedly have a kinda small population I think.

We should start thinking of subtitles for ot2!

RDreamer

Been getting way into the new Orphaned Land. At first I was kind of disappointed in it, but now I love it. Odd how that happens sometimes.

GutsOfThor

Figured this the best place to ask.

The band I play in has been asked to play a show with a touring hardcore band called Kingmaker as well as some local death metal bands. The problem is we are more hard rock/metal and I don't know if we will fit in. Part of me says fuck it, a gig is a gig but the other part says what if we are not received well.

What do you all think?

The band I play in has been asked to play a show with a touring hardcore band called Kingmaker as well as some local death metal bands. The problem is we are more hard rock/metal and I don't know if we will fit in. Part of me says fuck it, a gig is a gig but the other part says what if we are not received well.

What do you all think?

Diversity on a ticket can be nice. If it's a tour date people are gonna be there for the headliner and think of any fun you provide as a bonus. If it is a local show the people will just be out for the sake of having something to do, or to discover new bands. Don't stress out about subgenre so much. Many metal fans cross over heavily between subgenres.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

What do you all think?

We went ahead and accepted the gig.

Great points though. Didn't think of it like that.

Good on ya. Even if you don't fit all that well, who cares. Diversity is the spice of life! Most metal fans in general tend to have pretty broad tates, tbh.

Kingmaker is good too, imo.

Man, it seems like every other page in this thread recently is someone hating on some other "not really metal brah" genre.

If you don't like it, fine, let those who do talk about it. If no one else wants to the post will just fade away.

On that note, not really a big Five Finger Death Punch fan, but the first song off their new album Lift Me Up is stuck in my head. Also Rob Halford can do no wrong in my book. Makes me really want a new Judas Priest album.

Thoughts?

Quite good! That entire album is a metal symphonic piece of awesome!

Archon473

EZDrummer and SuperiorDrummer are pretty popular, I think. I've never used it myself, though they are pretty pricey proprietary software.

As you're looking for something freeware to use, maybe Hydrogen? It's made for Linux but you can get it to work on Windows.

Thanks for those links. I'm reading the Hydrogen tutorials now.

What do you all think?

A gig is a gig. You should be so good, you convert laymen to fans.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Man, it seems like every other page in this thread recently is someone hating on some other "non really metal brah" genre.

If you don't like it, fine, let those who do talk about it. If no one else wants to the post will just fade away.

On that note, not really a big Five Finger Death Punch fan, but the first song off their new album Lift Me Up is stuck in my head. Also Rob Halford can do no wrong in my book. Makes me really want a new Judas Priest album.

Quite good! That entire album is a metal symphonic piece of awesome!

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom