• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Human without a doubt with Leprosy and Individual Thought Patterns rounding out my top three. Sound of Perseverance will always be last, which isn't saying much because it's still great, I just don't like Chuck's higher vocal range nearly as much as his lower range and the extended progressive song writing feels a bit forced.

Xanadu

Banned
Human without a doubt with Leprosy and Individual Thought Patterns rounding out my top three. Sound of Perseverance will always be last, which isn't saying much because it's still great, I just don't like Chuck's higher vocal range nearly as much as his lower range and the extended progressive song writing feels a bit forced.

that drumming is ridiculous though, richard fuckin christy \m/

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
my bloody valentine was the loudest gig ive ever been to, beat slayer by quite a bit
I've heard this from a few people. Still hoping they'll play in Boston at some point, somehow. I should've gone to NYC a few years back. :(

Scream Bloody Gore -> Human - > Leprosy - > Individual Thought Patterns - > Spiritual Healing -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Sound of Perseverance

Wait, so do you love or hate SoP?

TheExodu5

Banned
Just came back from my first metal concert: Heavy MTL. Was an absolute blast. Was in pretty close for Children of Bodom, and then I got right up to Rob Zombie. Awesome show.

Oh, and surprise artist of the show was Finntroll. They were awesome. August Burns Red was crazy as well...the circle pit they had going was massive.

nCDxPbt.jpg

t09SZmN.jpg

vbESCAs.jpg

Vio-Lence

Banned
I assume that most of us love, or at least respect, Death. So what's everybody's favorite album by them? I'm going with the usual, which would be Symbolic.

1. Human
2. Leprosy
3. Symbolic
4. Spiritual Healing
5. Individual Thought Patterns
6. Scream Bloody Gore

I fucking hate the Sound of Perseverance. Such a shitty album. Human is my favorite by far with Leprosy a strong second. 3-5 are pretty fluid.

I finally got around to listening to the new Carcass album. Its pretty competent, but I don't think it matches Necrotism. Musically it's quite good, but there's something about the production that I don't like. It's too clean.

I finally got around to listening to the new Carcass album. Its pretty competent, but I don't think it matches Necrotism. Musically it's quite good, but there's something about the production that I don't like. It's too clean.

It's the stupid drum sound and Andy Sneap being Andy Sneap.
I do wish Bill and Ken's vocals were mixed higher, but i'll wait for the real physical release to confirm a better sounding album.

FACE

Banned
1. Human
2. Leprosy
3. Symbolic
4. Spiritual Healing
5. Individual Thought Patterns
6. Scream Bloody Gore

I fucking hate the Sound of Perseverance. Such a shitty album. Human is my favorite by far with Leprosy a strong second. 3-5 are pretty fluid.

Indeed, and that Painkiller cover is borderline offensive.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't agree at all. Sound of Perseverance is pretty damn good for a prog metal album (I normally don't even like prog), and I do like that Painkiller cover. You have to see it as Control Denied with harsh vocals rather than Death. ;)

ShaneB

This is why I like it. Different strokes for different folks and all, but I'm baffled at the appeal of a metal album that sounds like a complete mess. On topic, this includes those early Death albums.

This is why I like it. Different strokes for different folks and all, but I'm baffled at the appeal of a metal album that sounds like a complete mess. On topic, this includes those early Death albums.

Because typically in the early days, death metal was meant to sound ugly, uneasy, and a DIY attitude. When it was starting to become "credible" is when it was starting to sound cleaner with better production, bigger budget, etc.

Good example is Napalm Death's "Harmony Corruption". They went from dirty/fast grindcore to full on death metal, making it a point to record at Morrisound in Tampa, FL. Totally sounding "too clean".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm fine with raw and messy black and death metal... to a point. Honestly, I prefer some slightly later live versions of the songs from Sodom's In the Sign of Evil because the original recordings are just too sloppy (and this is coming from someone who likes classic Venom!).

Squicky clean production on something meant to sound like primeval evil is just too ill-fitting. But that doesn't mean it should be played that poorly or that the recording should be an inaudible mess. Early Death is perfectly fine, calling it a "complete mess" is very inaccurate. Later Death is more like prog/death, and therefore a cleaner production works just fine on it.

I suspected as such from your name, heh.

Any other Doom metal bands? The only ones I am familiar with are Electric Wizard and Sleep.

Winter
Morgion
Thergothon
Pantheist
Candlemass
My Dying Bride
early Paradise Lost
first Cathedral album
Solstice (UK)
Bell Witch
Conan
Bongripper
Ceremonium
Cianide
Hooded Menace

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Altar of Oblivion, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Forsaken, Pentagram, Solitude Aeturnus, DoomSword, Cauchemar, Spiritus Mortis, damn I could namedrop good doom all day... if you want doom recs be more specific. ^^

sgjackson

When it comes to doom, I always liked doom with stoner or traditional influences (Electric Wizard, Sleep, Pallbearer, Conan, etc.), and couldn't get into funeral doom and other sides of the genre, no matter how much I've tried. Maybe I just haven't found the album that makes it click yet.

Anyone listen to the new Exhumed? I thought it was solid, but I enjoyed the balls to the wall speed of All Guts, No Glory more.

Alright, another question for you folks. What is your favorite Death Metal Album? I'm going with Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten.

Edit: Just noticed this is my 666th post. Ha ha, \m/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom