• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nopren

More metal questions!

What is everybody's favorite Melodic Death Albums? I'm actually not all that well versed within the genre, considering the only albums I'm vaguely familiar with would be In Flames' The Jester Race

It's almost a tie between In Flames with Clayman and Soilwork with Natural Born Chaos. Natural Born Chaos wins out in the end, because of my preference for Soilwork.

RDreamer

More metal questions!

What is everybody's favorite Melodic Death Albums? I'm actually not all that well versed within the genre, considering the only albums I'm vaguely familiar with would be In Flames' The Jester Race

My big 3 are Natural Born Chaos by Soilwork, Clayman by In Flames and Damage Done by Dark Tranquillity.

If forced I'd probably choose NBC.

TheExodu5

Banned
More metal questions!

Melo-death was what really got me into metal. I'll have to go with In Flames - The Jester Race, myself.

Also, I'm going to ask the most controversial question this board has ever known.

Do you enjoy Nu-Metal?

I used to enjoy Nu-Metal. I listened to a lot of Slipknot and Ill-Nino back in high school. I think I could still enjoy both of those today. Whether I would classify it as metal...eh why not? Some of it is pretty shallow/formulaic but I think it still fits the genre.

RDreamer

Also, I'm going to ask the most controversial question this board has ever known.

Do you enjoy Nu-Metal?

Sometimes. It's not a genre I follow, but I don't hate it when some influence comes into the music I listen to.

i think a more controversial nu metal question would be if you think it's metal or not.

to answer your question, nope.

Along these lines is Deathcore metal? I was listening to Rings of Saturn's new album and saw it was labeled Deathcore. Sounds metal to me.

Sometimes. It's not a genre I follow, but I don't hate it when some influence comes into the music I listen to.

I used to enjoy Nu-Metal. I listened to a lot of Slipknot and Ill-Nino back in high school. I think I could still enjoy both of those today. Whether I would classify it as metal...eh why not? Some of it is pretty shallow/formulaic but I think it still fits the genre.

Really, I'm not all that well versed with the genre, aside from some Slipknot songs which I listen to from time to time again. That's really the only band, aside from KoRn (I've only heard a few songs from their debut). I'm not at all familiar with Deftones, Mudvayne, Staind, etc.

Having said that, I think limp bizkit is an abomination, and not just in the metal genre. Most artists, even those associated with him, can't stand him. Doesn't Slipknot also hate Fred Durst?

More metal questions!

Gonna be that guy and say Slaughter of the Soul along with the rest of the At the Gates catalog. Both of the latest Persefone albums too if those actually count.

Gonna be that guy and say Slaughter of the Soul along with the rest of the At the Gates catalog. Both of the latest Persefone albums too if those actually count.

I'll be the other guy and say Terminal Spirit Disease by At The Gates. Slaughter of the Soul is one of those albums where I want to throw the disc out the window.

pablito

Along these lines is Deathcore metal? I was listening to Rings of Saturn's new album and saw it was labeled Deathcore. Sounds metal to me.

no idea. only listened to a couple songs from the genre and didn't go back because i wasn't a fan of what i heard. if by some chance it all sounds like oceano then...i really dont know lol.

also i don't think i've really been a fan of any melodic death metal. at least bands that are categorized as such. dunno why.

Ixion

Do you enjoy Nu-Metal?

I like early Korn. Say what you will, but they came up with a pretty unique sound. I'll take that over just another death metal band.

Early Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are fun to listen to sometimes. I also love the Deftones, but only their first couple albums can be considered Nu-Metal.

Liked Disturbed at one point. Never got into Slipknot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
More metal questions!

What is everybody's favorite Melodic Death Albums?
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream

Do you enjoy Nu-Metal?
No.

Is Nu-Metal metal?
No.

Along these lines is Deathcore metal?
Sometimes, depends on the band. Some deathcore bands are pretty much standard modern death metal with some lame breakdowns thrown in, whereas other deathcore bands have pretty much no metal riffs and are just chugging.

It invariably sucks, though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Do you enjoy Nu-Metal?

I don't enjoy the subgenre full out but there is honestly some decent Nu-metal.

OK, you got it.

Is Nu-Metal metal?

Despite what a few people here will tell you about Nu-metal (and djent and some other subgenres) as they kick and stomp and get red in the face and cry and tell you "IT'S NOT TRUE METAL!", yes it is.

Yeah, Deathcore is metal. Deathcore = hardcore + death metal, more or less, but it's kinda it's own sound now beyond that initial hybridization.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Despite what a few people here will tell you about Nu-metal (and djent and some other subgenres) as they kick and stomp and get red in the face and cry and tell you "IT'S NOT TRUE METAL!", yes it is.
Despite what a few people here will tell you about Nu-metal (and djent and some other subgenres) as they kick and stomp and get red in the face and cry and tell you "IT REALLY IS METAL!", no, no it's not.

(I can play that game too.)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Despite what a few people here will tell you about Nu-metal (and djent and some other subgenres) as they kick and stomp and get red in the face and cry and tell you "IT REALLY IS METAL!", no, no it's not.

(I can play that game too.)

Oh I know you can, Ms. Metal-Archives.

To be honest, while I'm not a huge fan, I'm all for including it. If people like and want to discuss it here and consider it metal, they should. Enough exclusionary bullshit.

sgjackson

What is everybody's favorite Melodic Death Albums?

The Jester Race is also my favorite.

Do you enjoy Nu-Metal?

No.

Is Nu-Metal metal?

This is an interesting question. When it comes to questions like this, I tend to side more with usage than anything - if a significant number of people refer to it as metal, it's metal, even if it contains none of the elements I enjoy about metal.

That said, nu-metal and most djent/deathcore contain little to none of the elements I enjoy about metal, and I have a hard time discussing them as such.

RDreamer

I like early Korn. Say what you will, but they came up with a pretty unique sound. I'll take that over just another death metal band.

Early Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are fun to listen to sometimes. I also love the Deftones, but only their first couple albums can be considered Nu-Metal.

Liked Disturbed at one point. Never got into Slipknot.

Yeah, early Korn isn't bad, and I did like Disturbed at one point. And I liked a few Slipknot tracks.

I wouldn't even classify Linkin Park as nu-metal, though. I'm not sure why they get that classification. They're rock to me. And I do like Linkin Park from time to time (it's a weird guilty pleasure...)

Sometimes, depends on the band. Some deathcore bands are pretty much standard modern death metal with some lame breakdowns thrown in, whereas other deathcore bands have pretty much no metal riffs and are just chugging.

I actually rather liked this Rings of Saturn band. I've heard some other deathcore and metalcore type bands before and they didn't do a lot for me (depending on which one), but this one was pretty good. Lots of good guitar leads going on.

pablito

well what is metal anyway. you can list all kinds of things that give the qualities metal has, but find metal that doesn't have those. or find non metal music that has a metal quality, etc.

but a "you just know it" answer is kind of a cop out, in regards to the nu metal debate. i mean you DO just know it, but that won't be good enough for some.

How does everyone feel about Sunn 0)))?

I just queued up Black One to rewind after work.....good background music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_L2cJuOpN0

I enjoy it as an "experience and aesthetics" much like some ambient stuff in general. It does provoke a powerful feeling when im in the mood for it.

If you're looking for something technically proficient, something systematic or having structure, then you're doing it wrong. That's where a lot of the criticism and jabs at Sunn O))) mostly come from I guess.

Take it for what it is.

Greg

More metal questions!

Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt

Invariably sucks? Come on now. There's generic shit in every genre, but some great stuff has come from bands rooted in deathcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM26dnGgqTc

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Invariably sucks? Come on now. There's generic shit in every genre, but some great stuff has come from bands rooted in deathcore.
I disagree. The most "decent" deathcore bands are invariably those that are more rooted in death metal, and they would inherently be superior if they ditched the deathcore elements. It's like having turds in your bowl of cereals. Sure, maybe there's some decent-tasting cereal in your bowl, but it's always much better if you remove the turds. :)

Greg

i don't think this is going to change any minds
what's wrong with the song?

I disagree. The most "decent" deathcore bands are invariably those that are more rooted in death metal, and they would inherently be superior if they ditched the deathcore elements. It's like having turds in your bowl of cereals. Sure, maybe there's some decent-tasting cereal in your bowl, but it's always much better if you remove the turds. :)
Bands that revolve entirely around breakdowns are boring, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with elements of it throughout a song. I just think saying an entire genre 'invariably sucks' seems like unnecessary hyperbole to keep up an image.

OK, this lot make a pretty wonderful racket;

Pine Barrens - King Maker

kABCxOP.jpg

http://pinebarrens.bandcamp.com/album/kingmaker

Holy shit, this Agrimonia - Rites of Separation album is unbelievable. I can't stop listening to it. I'm upset I slept on it until now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5iFqtHJ9TY

Thanks for the heads up, sounds awesome, just picked it up on bandcamp.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Bands that revolve entirely around breakdowns are boring, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with elements of it throughout a song.
I happen to think there is.
I just think saying an entire genre 'invariably sucks' seems like unnecessary hyperbole to keep up an image.
Think what you like. But I assure you, I couldn't give two shits about image. Guess what, some people genuinely dislike some music, like, for reals.

Blackheim

I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this, no one else has been able to...

Around 2003/2004 one of my friends gave me a doom metal CD that I have since lost. I can't remember the band or the CD name but, I really want to find it again. The last song on the album was a slower one with a good groove and I think it was something about a carnival. I really like that song and want to find it again....

I know it's not much to go on but, if anyone knows what I'm talking about it would be tits.

Well, I don't know if this is right but, first that came to mind was Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre. It came out in '95 though... here are some songs anyway!

Carnival Bizarre
Electric Grave (Last song on album)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

pablito

what's wrong with the song?

can't say what others will dislike about it, but for myself

i don't like those beat-oriented chugging riffs. not a fan of most riffs that emphasize the beat of the riff over the notes/progression of the riff. like breakdowns and stuff. just not a fan, and it's present here.

don't like how the vocals are utilized. the high/low changing seems like it serves no real purpose. this is kind of tricky for me to explain, because in something like gorguts - obscura, i'm fine with the dual vocals there. but here i get this feeling like it's just random, and in obscura it felt more like it was supposed to happen.

random arpeggios. why? they're not doing anything. leads are some of the most obnoxious things to have when you don't need them.

Nu Metal is rock, not metal. Nu Metal belongs in the metal section as much as Paula Abdul belongs in the rock section. If you like the stuff more power to you, but it categorically is not metal.

Metal is guitar driven music primarily focused on themes of strife and/or self empowerment. Nu Metal is primarily rhythmic music with themes that frequently dip into sexual and/or other themes relating to self gratification. Big differences here. You won't find a metal song about how you did it all for the nookie because it simply doesn't fit the overall genre.

For example AC/DC might be considered a metal band by some but they're a rock band. That's not a bad thing per se.

That said, genre definitions are fluid and are in the eye of the beholder. So if you want to see nu metal as metal whatever, but I certainly don't see it that way.

Greg

I happen to think there is.

Think what you like. But I assure you, I couldn't give two shits about image. Guess what, some people genuinely dislike some music, like, for reals.
I said nothing about having to like what I do, I'm just not a fan of broad comments like that when tags don't always represent all the elements to a song/band

and being concerned about how 'metal' something is - entirely an issue of image

can't say what others will dislike about it, but for myself

i don't like those beat-oriented chugging riffs. not a fan of most riffs that emphasize the beat of the riff over the notes/progression of the riff. like breakdowns and stuff. just not a fan, and it's present here.

don't like how the vocals are utilized. the high/low changing seems like it serves no real purpose. this is kind of tricky for me to explain, because in something like gorguts - obscura, i'm fine with the dual vocals there. but here i get this feeling like it's just random, and in obscura it felt more like it was supposed to happen.

random arpeggios. why? they're not doing anything. leads are some of the most obnoxious things to have when you don't need them.
haha, I actually chose that song because it's all over the place - maybe this would be more up your alley then? (same band, same album):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5t-qL0XyEE

I'm not trying to convert you as a fan, I just thought they were a good example of a band that's frequently labeled as just 'deathcore' when they pull influences from all over

pablito

Genre arguing is beyond stupid. Genres should be a guide to help you find new music not a way to define your musical existence.

i think it's fine to talk about if you're specifically addressing it. dude wanted a controversial discussion involving nu metal, and i helped him out
please don't hate me!

if someone just rolls in like 'i like metal like ____" and genre debate happens, when that person is just looking for recs or something, then yeah that's dumb as hell.

Nopren

Metal is guitar driven music primarily focused on themes of strife and/or self empowerment. Nu Metal is primarily rhythmic music with themes that frequently dip into sexual and/or other themes relating to self gratification. Big differences here. You won't find a metal song about how you did it all for the nookie because it simply doesn't fit the overall genre.

That seems like an excessively rigid way of looking at the genres, but if it helps you narrow down what you want to hear as metal I guess it works fine.

And thanks, "Did it all for the nookie" is what my tombstone is gonna say now.

i think it's fine to talk about if you're specifically addressing it. dude wanted a controversial discussion involving nu metal, and i helped him out
please don't hate me!

if someone just rolls in like 'i like metal like ____" and genre debate happens, when that person is just looking for recs or something, then yeah that's dumb as hell.

My response was tongue in cheek when I said controversial. I hate Nu-Metal. I tried listening to Slipknot again, and I was just outright bored at best, and repulsed at worse.

But seriously, I'm finding the debate between metal fans and genres to be more an interesting thing to here, if sometimes take part in discussion. Is Deathcore a good genre or not? I'm all for interesting metal discussions.

FACE

Banned

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
My response was tongue in cheek when I said controversial. I hate Nu-Metal. I tried listening to Slipknot again, and I was just outright bored at best, and repulsed at worse.

But seriously, I'm finding the debate between metal fans and genres to be more an interesting thing to here, if sometimes take part in discussion. Is Deathcore a good genre or not? I'm all for interesting metal discussions.

Good is subjective. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are good bands in every genre, subgenre, scene, and country.

Good is subjective. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are good bands in every genre, subgenre, scene, and country.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The fact that music is so subjective makes debates and reading upon them such a joy for a metal fan.

As a metal fan, I love hearing the discussions, I love reading them, and I occasionally enjoy taking part in them. Always interesting to see what people think of anything on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom