• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Fuck, now I think my favorite thrash album might be an early Anthrax one. Goddamnit, so hard to pick.

Alright, another question for you folks. What is your favorite Death Metal Album? I'm going with Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten.

Edit: Just noticed this is my 666th post. Ha ha, \m/

Immolation - Close To A World Below

Alright, another question for you folks. What is your favorite Death Metal Album? I'm going with Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten.

Edit: Just noticed this is my 666th post. Ha ha, \m/

It's hard to just pick one.

Immolation - Failure for Gods/CTAWB
Death - ITP/Human
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments
Ulcerate - Everything is Fire

Sajjaja

Did mustaine have a stroke in secret?

megadethband2013.jpg

Well he did do a lot of drugs..so maybe it's just catching up? He looked like that for a while lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Well he did do a lot of drugs..so maybe it's just catching up? He looked like that for a while lol

Yeah, drugs and recovering from some nasty injuries. I remember an interview he gave where he talked about his neck surgery and how he had to change how he sings and even how he headbangs to certain songs cause doing it old way hurts him way too much.

EDIT: Here's the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznuVBJquq0

Tokubetsu

So metalheads, what are the big/great release of the year so far? Typically a black metal fan here but I'm open to other shit. I tend to prefer melodic stuff over everything else but I get down with a bit of everything.

So metalheads, what are the big/great release of the year so far? Typically a black metal fan here but I'm open to other shit. I tend to prefer melodic stuff over everything else but I get down with a bit of everything.

if you can stomach power metal, my contender for best of the year is Gloryhammer's Tales from the Kingdom of Fife:

Magic Dragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7gm_mRA4Q

The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og2twS3XVKQ

Ravager61

A few that might be up your alley:
Deafheaven - Sunbather continues to be my favorite release this year so far. If you aren't offended by "hipster" black metal you should listen because it's an incredible album.

Aosoth - IV: Arrow in Heart was a pretty solid black metal album that was released this year.

Kvelertak - Mier was pretty great too. Super fun record. Even has some black metal influences in the sound.

The Ruins of Beverast have a new album coming out soon that I am very excited for too. I haven't heard it yet so I can't comment on the quality but RoB is a band that has yet to disappoint me.

Alright, last question for right now! Favorite Black Metal Album?

I dunno, are Dissection considered amongst the genre? Yeah, they have influences in the genre, but they have always seemed to be more than a hybrid of other genres besides purely Black Metal. I'm very fond of Storm of the Lights Bane. If not, then I'll probably end up going with Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Metal or Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse (too easy, eh?)

PersonaX

Going to see Jesu next month, the show kicks off with Broadricks solo project JK Flesh.

It's been over 8 years since the last time they were here in Finland, so it's my first time seeing them, can't wait.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Abandon All Life by Nails, easily one of the best releases so far.

But if you're looking for melodic stuff, I also really like Altered State by Tesseract.

I dunno, are Dissection considered amongst the genre? Yeah, they have influences in the genre, but they have always seemed to be more than a hybrid of other genres besides purely Black Metal. I'm very fond of Storm of the Lights Bane. If not, then I'll probably end up going with Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Metal or Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse (too easy, eh?)

Within black metal, I'm really not a huge fan of "regular stuff". I really like Kekal's black metal releases (The Painful Experience and 1000 Thoughts of Violence) but I'm more a fan of their later experimental/avant-garde sound (Acidity & The Habit of Fire)

Otherwise I like blackgaze/post-black/atmospheric black metal groups most. Journey...Two Years and a Fragment by Líam and Écailles De Lune by Alcest are favorites for me.

Xanadu

Banned
Otherwise I like blackgaze/post-black/atmospheric black metal groups most. Journey...Two Years and a Fragment by Líam and Écailles De Lune by Alcest are favorites for me.

completely the opposite with me, i much prefer early bm bands like burzum and bathory to the post/gaze bm stuff like aclest, deafheaven. weird too because i love shoegaze

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My favourite BM album is probably Dol Guldur by Summoning, though Immortal's At the Heart of Winter and Rotting Christ's Non Serviam are up there too.

Going to see Jesu next month, the show kicks off with Broadricks solo project JK Flesh.

It's been over 8 years since the last time they were here in Finland, so it's my first time seeing them, can't wait.

Badass, I didn't know he was recently doing Jesu shows. I've seen Jesu a few years ago and it was one of the most awesome experiences.

Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger

RDreamer

Almost time to leave for Summer Slaughter!

That's fantastic to hear. I think I'm going to set aside some time to listen to it fully this weekend.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on me, though. I'm on of those BTBAM fans that absolutely loves The Great Misdirect, too.

Though from what I've seen it is pretty well received from both the older fans and the newer ones.

Stimulated by the Death and Control Denied discussion on the last page, I decided to give the latter a listen since I had only heard Expect the Unexpected on a sampler many years ago. I like what I've heard so far.

But I'm also one of those guys who love The Sound of Perseverance (which was the first Death album I owned).

On another note: Only three more days until the new Watain comes out. Can't wait.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wouldn't pin your hopes on me, though. I'm on of those BTBAM fans that absolutely loves The Great Misdirect, too.

Though from what I've seen it is pretty well received from both the older fans and the newer ones.

I love Colors and The Great Misderect equally. My 2 (equally) favorite bands are Opeth and BTBAM so I'm probably going to like it. :)

Anyone know any other bands out there similar to Finntroll? Totally unlike anything I've listened to before, but I love it. It's like Lord of the Rings metal...it makes me want to pull out some riverdancing moves. Really tempted to go back and see them in November since I had so much fun at their show this weekend.

What ever happened to that Dio tribute album with Dio covers by Metallica, Motorhead, etc?

I was really looking forward to hearing some some Dio covers by those bands.

Ahasverus

My most anticipated album right now is Revamp's "Wild Card" that woman Floor Jansen is absolutely pure gold and I haven't ever heard so much variety coming from a performer

Kaladin

So a friend of mine (at least I call him a friend....about as much as you can friend any year-long musician that you see and hang out with two or three times in a year) formed a metal band that's kinda stoner doom. It's a three piece with one guitar, bass and vocals / drums.

Wormfoot
Uriah Baker (The Goddamn Gallows) - Drums & Vocals
Jay Goldsmith (Dozic) - Guitars
James Hunnicutt (Jayke Orvis & The Broken Band) - Bass

6 song demo EP:
http://youtu.be/K3aLgLKNbYM

2/3 of the band are typically in roots type bands, only Jay is in a full time metal band so this is somewhat of a side project, but it's good shit.

not the most well known band but an absolute must for any Power Metal fan, i introduce to you:

ReinXeed

charlie-shred-20120418054801.jpg

at first it was a one man band with Tommy Johansson (far right) doing everything, including the vocals (with stunning high notes). with time it evolved into one of the most entertaining Power Metal bands in the world with a full band aiding Tommy.
i present you their discography (excluding demos and compilations), hope you guys enjoy.

2008 - The Light

cover.jpg

The Light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_9tfa7HN8

2009 - Higher

ReinXeed+-+Higher.jpg

Dragonfly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgADwvqMZY

2010 - Majestic

reinxeed3.jpg

Lightning Strikes Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOCZk5FTZE

2011 - 1912

ReinXeed-1912-album-cover.jpg

Reach For The Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi3TqsGORyY

2012 - Welcome To The Theater

2r4kl7s.jpg

Somewhere In Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhr3wi6HIVE

2013 - A New World

IeTZWWx.jpg

Guitar Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DADu-2Uiajs

I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this, no one else has been able to...

Around 2003/2004 one of my friends gave me a doom metal CD that I have since lost. I can't remember the band or the CD name but, I really want to find it again. The last song on the album was a slower one with a good groove and I think it was something about a carnival. I really like that song and want to find it again....

I know it's not much to go on but, if anyone knows what I'm talking about it would be tits.

Finally got my Chimaira package - sweet.

Nice. The album is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom