• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Can we all agree to retire this tired argument? You like it. Awesome. You dont. Listen to what you do like. It really is that simple.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
How does everyone feel about Sunn 0)))?

I just queued up Black One to rewind after work.....good background music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_L2cJuOpN0
I fucking love this album. I enjoy most of their records, but Black One is by far the most dynamic and "accessible" of all of them. I actually think it's a really engaging listen — not background music at all when compared to some of their other stuff.

I actually just read today that Southern Lord is doing a vinyl re-release of it. Neat-o.

Greg

Full stream for the new Fleshgod Apocalypse album, Labyrinth, is up, just fyi.

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/stre...-album-labyrinth-exclusively-with-terrorizer/
I was pretty disappointed with this because I loved all their other releases. I like that they finally implemented all the orchestral bits, but then they completely crushed the dynamics of it with the mix. Occasionally when they drop the drums or guitars to let some of it shine through it sounds amazing, but most of the time you're left with a cluttered and less memorable version of their old stuff.

It's still solid, but just not what I wanted from them.

Ravager61

I fucking love this album. I enjoy most of their records, but Black One is by far the most dynamic and "accessible" of all of them. I actually think it's a really engaging listen — not background music at all when compared to some of their other stuff.

I actually just read today that Southern Lord is doing a vinyl re-release of it. Neat-o.

I wish they would reissue White 1 and 2 instead seeing as I already own Black One.

Spoken like a man that likes Pantera.

:p

Yeah, if it makes you feel better, I'm not much a fan of Pantera either. I've tried to listen to their music, but it just doesn't have the power you would expect from prime Thrash Metal bands of the 80's. I enjoy some of their music, but I don't really enjoy them all that much. Some of The Great Southern Trendkill is good, though from a more musical instrumental sense. Still not a fan of Phil's vocals.

But people who love Pantera are entitled to that opinion. I know people who enjoy them and old school Thrash Metal in the vein of Kreator, Sodom, etc.

Mileena

Banned
so this is really good...

Dt5RGBC.jpg

glad to see some bands still paying respect to melodeath in 2013

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nu Metal is rock, not metal. Nu Metal belongs in the metal section as much as Paula Abdul belongs in the rock section. If you like the stuff more power to you, but it categorically is not metal.
With you so far...

Metal is guitar driven music primarily focused on themes of strife and/or self empowerment. Nu Metal is primarily rhythmic music with themes that frequently dip into sexual and/or other themes relating to self gratification. Big differences here. You won't find a metal song about how you did it all for the nookie because it simply doesn't fit the overall genre.
Errr what? Are you saying that WASP - Animal (Fuck Like a Beast) isn't a metal song? Or Judas Priest's many sexually charged songs? Or Cannibal Corpse's? Nu-metal ain't metal, no, but it's because of how the music sounds, not because of lyrical themes... -_-

I said nothing about having to like what I do, I'm just not a fan of broad comments like that when tags don't always represent all the elements to a song/band
Well, there are certain attributes that make deathcore what it is, and I don't like them. So obviously if a band features these attributes, I'm going to dislike them, even if they also have attributes from styles I do like. I also can't stand the DJ scratching or noises, or rapping, so if a band features them I'm going to automatically hate them, even if there's a decent riff at some point. It's not rocket science.

and being concerned about how 'metal' something is - entirely an issue of image
Who said anything about being "concerned"? Someone asked a question and I answered. And you talked about image not with regards to what is or isn't metal, but about my hating of deathcore. It appears you can't even keep track of your own argument. ;)

Pantera had the top 3 vocalist and guitar player of all time. Period.
lol

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Doesn't really matter if the music they produced was shit.

Does it really matter if you can't produce a singe point of argument outside of personal preference? Pack it up son. Your reign of clown antic is done. You is as empty as Mustaine;s lyrics.

FYC

Banned
I like a lot of nu- metal but think a lot of it is shit.

thumbs up - song a (skip to 2:40) song b

poop - song a song b (ooh ah ah ah ah)

I don't really think nu metal is metal, and I've noticed a lot of the bands feel that way too.

Glad you brought up deathcore, I was thinking about it lately and I honestly think it's the worst fucking genre of music ever, not even I can enjoy that stuff.

I think they might be metalcore but Asking Alexandria and Emmure are the worst things, especially Emmure

Greg

Who said anything about being "concerned"? Someone asked a question and I answered. And you talked about image not with regards to what is or isn't metal, but about my hating of deathcore. It appears you can't even keep track of your own argument. ;)
In my first post I was talking about all genres of music having bad examples, and deathcore was the genre in question, so I referenced a band frequently labeled as just deathcore despite having many elements outside of its stereotypical sound.

And your response to the original question was "sometimes, depends on the band" - that shows concern if you have qualifiers for what is and isn't metal from within the same genre, and then feel the need afterwards to say it all sucks anyways.

so this is really good...

glad to see some bands still paying respect to melodeath in 2013
Yeah, it's much better than For the Revolution and 12 Gauge. I highly recommend checking out their first few releases if you haven't already though - they still hold up extremely well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And your response to the original question was "sometimes, depends on the band" - that shows concern if you have qualifiers for what is and isn't metal from within the same genre,
And? What does this have to do with image? I'm talking strictly about the music. It's the same thing with many hybrid genres.

Again, that's not to say I "care". I like plenty of things that aren't metal at all.

and then feel the need afterwards to say it all sucks anyways.
Because it does. ;)

FACE

Banned
Does it really matter if you can't produce a singe point of argument outside of personal preference? Pack it up son. Your reign of clown antic is done. You is as empty as Mustaine;s lyrics.

Says the guy whose argument was "Pantera is good because Dimebag was a good guitar player" :p

Youre right. It just so happens that im right. No one will ever mistake anselmo for someone else or dime for someone else.

Thank fuck for that.

More metal questions!

What is everybody's favorite Melodic Death Albums? I'm actually not all that well versed within the genre, considering the only albums I'm vaguely familiar with would be In Flames' The Jester Race

Carcass - Heartwork, for me melodeath started and ended with Heartwork. Hyperbole aside, I'm not a fan of most melodeath.

Currently listening to Aborted http://youtu.be/3RNO3YLQZd8 fun death/grind

xist

gr1m i think phil's work in Down is better than the entire Pantera catalog, come at me.

Wasn't that impressed with the most recent Down EP...was thinking of digging out some old Superjoint Ritual tracks and seeing how they hold up compared to Phil's most recent stuff with The Illegals

i liked power/glam era Pantera. once they went "hard asses" it was so gimmicky. "yeah, glam's dying, look at us pretending it didn't happen". oh, fuck off.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Down is great and NOLA is one hell of a record, but better than Pantera?

LMAO....thanks for my morning laugh.

well i think Pantera is shit, but I have some good memories of the NOLA album dating back to high school. Listened to the album recently and it holds up surprisingly well.

imo...Pantera is/was hillbilly jock rock. the only people i know that listened to pantera back in the day were hillbillies or dudebro jocks. the music was comically aggro and appealed to a specific demographic. people still championing pantera in 2013 are like metallica fans.

Kaladin

well i think Pantera is shit, but I have some good memories of the NOLA album dating back to high school. Listened to the album recently and it holds up surprisingly well.

imo...Pantera is/was hillbilly jock rock. the only people i know that listened to pantera back in the day were hillbillies or dudebro jocks. the music was comically aggro and appealed to a specific demographic. people still championing pantera in 2013 are like metallica fans.

I guess I fit into the hillbilly demo, proud of it. Pantera does have a certain southern metal appeal to it. Down is about the same, but it's more NOLA scene than Texas.

FACE

Banned

ipwKipoZE2CuV.gif

Carcass - Heartwork, for me melodeath started and ended with Heartwork. Hyperbole aside, I'm not a fan of most melodeath.

As much as I love Carcass and the Heartwork album, it was Heartwork and Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates that spawned a bunch of shitty bands and movement.

Fully agreed. Most Pantera fans I knew of only liked Pantera, Metallica, Tool, Ozzy, or whoever was on an Ozzfest bill. These people were the most close minded and didn't venture out of that. Don't mind a couple of songs and riffs and such, but for the most part can't stand Pantera. It kinda came full circle again with a new breed in the early 2000's with bands like Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying, etc...

i liked power/glam era Pantera. once they went "hard asses" it was so gimmicky. "yeah, glam's dying, look at us pretending it didn't happen". oh, fuck off.

This kinda fuels the fire for me too. I was never into the power/glam era Pantera, but to almost deny the existence is comical. All of a sudden they became the "tough guys". Also the whole Exhorder ripoff thing.

As much as I love Carcass and the Heartwork album, it was Heartwork and Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates that spawned a bunch of shitty bands and movement.

Melodic death metal was good when it was actually death metal but with a bigger emphasis on melody. Then Slaughter of the Soul came out and the death metal parts were ripped out and replaced by even more melody and the abomination known as melodef was born.

I can only listen to Pantera every now and then, but I tend to really like the song Power Metal more than anything else they did, aside form their ballads. I do really like their ballads.

Speaking of King Diamond, I'm been on a KD binge lately. So gooood. Can't wait for a new album and US tour.

Ravager61

I'm listening to Monolith & Dimensions. I still don't know if I like them but certainly they have my interest.

I love SunnO))). They are one of my favorite bands. I think you have to approach their music in a different mindset than most other metal(or other music in general). They are all about building an atmosphere. Painting a picture in your mind is how i like to view it.

Turn it up loud and listen with no distractions. I think that is the best way to enjoy SunnO))).

Also, smoke weed

Well, I don't know if this is right but, first that came to mind was Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre. It came out in '95 though... here are some songs anyway!

Carnival Bizarre
Electric Grave (Last song on album)

It was a lot slower and darker than that. The last song was related to a carnival of some sort. Thanks for checking it out though, my quest to find this song continues.

I may have the genre wrong too. It could be more goth than doom. I can't really say because I'm probably the worst person to classify metal into genres. I don't buy into them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fully agreed. Most Pantera fans I knew of only liked Pantera, Metallica, Tool, Ozzy, or whoever was on an Ozzfest bill. These people were the most close minded and didn't venture out of that. Don't mind a couple of songs and riffs and such, but for the most part can't stand Pantera. It kinda came full circle again with a new breed in the early 2000's with bands like Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying, etc...
Truth.

This kinda fuels the fire for me too. I was never into the power/glam era Pantera, but to almost deny the existence is comical. All of a sudden they became the "tough guys".
Yes, it's hilarious. Even sadder is that Glamtera >>>>> Pantera by a long shot. Hey seriously, Power Metal is actually a very good heavy metal album, way better than anything else they've ever done. Diamond > Dimebag :D

Proof that Glamtera kicked ass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-mnu8H2qQ0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom