• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xist

Has anyone ever heard Phil respond to the statement that Pantera started off as a Glam Metal band? He was question about it on the BBC Radio 1 Rock Show a year or so ago and he almost lost it, unnerving the interviewer in the process.....

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Has anyone ever heard Phil respond to the statement that Pantera started off as a Glam Metal band? He was question about it on the BBC Radio 1 Rock Show a year or so ago and he almost lost it, unnerving the interviewer in the process.....

Seen that one.He lost it for sure. He had quite a few bad ones. Should we judge a person based on two out of a thousand performances?

RE! SPECK!

WHAT DO YOU SAY??

well i think Pantera is shit, but I have some good memories of the NOLA album dating back to high school. Listened to the album recently and it holds up surprisingly well.

imo...Pantera is/was hillbilly jock rock. the only people i know that listened to pantera back in the day were hillbillies or dudebro jocks. the music was comically aggro and appealed to a specific demographic. people still championing pantera in 2013 are like metallica fans.

Hmm....you can feel that way if you want to. Opinions and assholes.

Me, personally, I love Pantera. I'm not a dude-bro nor did I like it because it was comically aggro (a comment which I will not touch only because I like being on NeoGaf). I also love almost all metal with my current favorite type being newer black metal...things like Dimmu/Old Man's Child/etc - I'm not a fan of shitty old recordings...I can't help it. But, I digress.

The point is is that people can be metal fans and since there is a multitude of music out there we all can enjoy what we choose to enjoy, preferably without being put in a specific demographic or being ragged on for championing a band that we like. For example, there are definitely bands mentioned that get people hard on here that I think are complete shit but, I keep it to myself because it's another person's choice to like the music. They should be able to do it without being pigeon-holed into some cliche that they fucking despise.

Seen that one.He lost it for sure. He had quite a few bad ones. Should we judge a person based on two out of a thousand performances?

WHAT DO YOU SAY??

That's because he's a junkie. He was anyways. Not sure if he still is, I don't follow him that closely anymore.

To me it seems Anselmo really got his shit together in recent time. He's been clean for at least 4 years now. He may have a baked interview from time to time but that could be his pain medication or he's just stoned. :D Down IV is great and I still need to catch a live show of whatever project he's on tour with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvg00I0dQ8I
\m/

An interesting interview/article about him and his recent life and stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOEEWb-JD6s

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Hmm....you can feel that way if you want to. Opinions and assholes.

Me, personally, I love Pantera. I'm not a dude-bro nor did I like it because it was comically aggro (a comment which I will not touch only because I like being on NeoGaf). I also love almost all metal with my current favorite type being newer black metal...things like Dimmu/Old Man's Child/etc - I'm not a fan of shitty old recordings...I can't help it. But, I digress.

The point is is that people can be metal fans and since there is a multitude of music out there we all can enjoy what we choose to enjoy, preferably without being put in a specific demographic or being ragged on for championing a band that we like. For example, there are definitely bands mentioned that get people hard on here that I think are complete shit but, I keep it to myself because it's another person's choice to like the music. They should be able to do it without being pigeon-holed into some cliche that they fucking despise.

That's because he's a junky. He was anyways. Not sure if he still is, I don't follow him that closely anymore.

He isnt. He's a completely different person these days

NotLiquid

Just listened to the new Korn single. Doesn't look like it's particularly popular with the fans. Bit of an interesting and surprisingly upbeat track to promote but I like it. It sounds like something that could have been on Issues.

Then again I sort of enjoyed their last album if only because of some of it's melodic hooks so perhaps I'm easy to please.

Ixion

Just listened to the new Korn single. Doesn't look like it's particularly popular with the fans. Bit of an interesting and surprisingly upbeat track to promote but I like it. It sounds like something that could have been on Issues.

Then again I sort of enjoyed their last album if only because of some of it's melodic hooks so perhaps I'm easy to please.

I think 'Never Never' is pretty cool besides the chorus. It ruins the song.

I'm happy they're moving forward with a metal-electronic sound, but on the other hand I'm disappointed that they're still doing dub-step. That shit got old quick. I'm not sure why they'd call the album 'The Paradigm Shift' if it was all dub-step though, since that wouldn't be different than their last album, so we'll see.

Kaladin

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna try and hunt some of these down - youtube is absolutely chock-full of random NWOBHM bands I've never heard of, awesome stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41VOQm0khfI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICtWIjAJhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_mgOs_4dE

It's amazing the kind of stuff you can dig into with the internet now. Bands who never made it out of wherever they were from are getting more attention and play than before because of it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The more I think about it, the more my favourite black metal album might be Samael's Blood Ritual in the end. So damn good, and the evil, occult atmosphere is just out of this world.
What a shame Samael turned to shit later. I still like their stuff up to Passage, and I can even sorta enjoy Eternal as an industrial rock type, but every time I listen to Blood Ritual I feel sad at what they became. They are worse than Rotting Christ in terms of falling from... well, I don't want to say grace. xD

Enjoy, black metal GAF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKhDfQ5Tavs

Blood Ritual and Worship Him are great. My favorite from Samael is probably Ceremony of the Opposites.

Angel Witch was fucking cool. I used to trade VHS metal shows with that guy when he had a tape trading operation going. Now all that stuff is on YouTube for free haha.

The more I think about it, the more my favourite black metal album might be Samael's Blood Ritual in the end. So damn good, and the evil, occult atmosphere is just out of this world.
What a shame Samael turned to shit later. I still like their stuff up to Passage, and I can even sorta enjoy Eternal as an industrial rock type, but every time I listen to Blood Ritual I feel sad at what they became. They are worse than Rotting Christ in terms of falling from... well, I don't want to say grace. xD

Enjoy, black metal GAF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKhDfQ5Tavs

I have all their stuff up to Eternal but dropped them there. That album's a pretty big letdown. I'd pretty much kill for a copy of Ceremony of Oppositeson vinyl though. Classic, underrated album.

Their debut is great as well, have an original pressing of that on CD.

RDreamer

Listened to Anciients "Heart of Oak" again this morning and it kicks ass. If you're a fan of Mastodon or Baroness get on that shit.

Have two shows lined up this fall. Trivium and Devildriver co headlining in September, then Lamb of God/Killswitch Engage in october.

Only ones I haven't see is Devildriver, been wanting to see them live. Gonna be great :)

Grab Unleashed in the East, preferably the version with 13 tracks, and get ready to be blown away.

I still want to listen to their studio albums, but I could pick it up, considering many metal bands sound great live, right?

I really do need to go back and listen to more Maiden, Priest, and Motorhead. It's pretty well known the deserve all the respect they get, even if you personally enjoy their music.

FACE

Banned
I still want to listen to their studio albums, but I could pick it up, considering many metal bands sound great live, right?

I really do need to go back and listen to more Maiden, Priest, and Motorhead. It's pretty well known the deserve all the respect they get, even if you personally enjoy their music.

The songs on Unleashed in the East sounds 100 times better than their studio counterparts, it's fucking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom