• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
classic stuff? can't go wrong with this, friend:

Manowar-2.jpg
2810608.jpg
cd-cover.jpg

RDreamer

I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to Classic Metal. I only own one Iron Maiden album, and same goes for Judas Priest. At least I've heard a sizable amount of Sabbath's early work.

I've heard a sizeable amount of Maiden and Sabbath, I just rarely listen to it all. I feel like Number of the Beast and Paranoid are so far and away the best albums from each that whenever I want to listen to them I usually pull those two out.

I've been slowly listening to more Maiden, though. That one's really strange because their style is pretty ideal to me, I just don't end up ever pulling them out to listen to for some reason. Whenever I do I get really into it, though.

Haven't really listened to any Judas Priest though. Or Motorhead. Outside the tracks everyone knows.

This discussion made me turn on Brave New World. I really do fucking love Iron Maiden when I do manage to remember they exist.

The songs on Unleashed in the East sounds 100 times better than their studio counterparts, it's fucking amazing.

Unleashed In The East is perhaps one of the best "live" albums from a metal band.

Rumor is that it was a fake "live" recording, no recollection of that exact set performed on any single night. Songs from different nights could have been pieced together for the album and there are some obvious post-production cleanup.

Still stands as one of the best live albums and a perfect introduction to Judas Priest.

Have two shows lined up this fall. Trivium and Devildriver co headlining in September, then Lamb of God/Killswitch Engage in october.

Only ones I haven't see is Devildriver, been wanting to see them live. Gonna be great :)

I'm going to those as well, and like you have seen everyone but Devildriver. Although when I saw KSE it was with Howard, don't like Jesse as much

FACE

Banned
Unleashed In The East is perhaps one of the best "live" albums from a metal band.

Rumor is that it was a fake "live" recording, no recollection of that exact set performed on any single night. Songs from different nights could have been pieced together for the album and there are some obvious post-production cleanup.

Still stands as one of the best live albums and a perfect introduction to Judas Priest.

Whatever it was that they've done it worked out for the best.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Alright, another question! This Time...

What are your favorite Grindcore albums?
I'm not really a grindcore aficionado, but...

Discordance Axis - The Inalienable Dreamless & Jouhou
Watchmaker - Erased from the Memory of Man
Insect Warfare - Noise Grind Power Death

RDreamer

So, question for hardcore Maiden fans. Where does Dance of Death normally stack up? As a mostly pretty casual fan it's probably ranked 2nd behind Number of the Beast. Is that odd?

I'm listening to From Enslavement to Obliteration right now. Awesome album.

I forgot to mention Nasum - Inhale/Exhale
It's what early Entombed/Dismember would sound like if they did grindcore.

So, question for hardcore Maiden fans. Where does Dance of Death normally stack up? As a mostly pretty casual fan it's probably ranked 2nd behind Number of the Beast. Is that odd?

I think Dance of Death sucks. For me who's a fan of everything up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, anything after Fear of the Dark didn't matter much to me. Their 2nd half of their career's music isnt all that appealing. Brave New World is really good though, I like that album.

I honestly think from their S/T to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son all carry equal weight :)

I would guess it's way higher than average, yes. Though paschendale does rock pretty hard.

most people would probably put it under all the 80s albums and brave new world.

Me, personally:

top tier albums:
Beast, 7th son, powerslave, brave new world, somewhere in time <- barely ever listen to just one song, has to be whole album in one go

Then,
final frontier, matter of life and death, dance of death, piece of mind <- More likely to listen to single tracks than the whole album

Then the dianno albums I usually listen to in one go, but I only do it every so often, whereas I listen to the bruce albums all the damn time.

Blaze bailey albums I haven't listened to in years and barely remember.

fear of the dark and no prayer for the dying, I don't believe I've ever listened to the full albums of.

RDreamer

I would guess it's way higher than average, yes. Though paschendale does rock pretty hard.

Man, Paschendale, Rainmaker, No More Lies, and Dance of Death all rock pretty hard in my opinion.

Anyway, I guess today's just gonna be a Maiden day when I can listen to music. Did Brave New World and Dance of Death. Listening to Powerslave now.

Kaladin

I wasn't a fan of the album till I heard some songs live at the first and only Maiden show I've been to. Dance of Death was great to hear live and got me to get into the album again.

Me and some friends were talking about top three Maiden Albums the other week, and I was the only one to exclude Dance of Death...it's a fine album, but I was not expecting that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes.

I think Dance of Death sucks. For me who's a fan of everything up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, anything after Fear of the Dark didn't matter much to me. Their 2nd half of their career's music isnt all that appealing. Brave New World is really good though, I like that album.

I honestly think from their S/T to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son all carry equal weight :)
Agreed on all counts.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's time. AKG K702 on. Time to listen to BTBAM Parallax II for the first time.

2 tracks in and I'm in awe. Astral Body....what an opening.

I have the biggest fucking grin on my face right now. This album is amazing so far.

It's time. AKG K702 on. Time to listen to BTBAM Parallax II for the first time.

2 tracks in and I'm in awe. Astral Body....what an opening.

I have the biggest fucking grin on my face right now. This album is amazing so far.

I hated the ever loving shit out of Parallax II after my first listen (coming from a big BTBAM fan), but then I learned to looove it. So yeah, nice, it only gets better the more you listen.

RDreamer

I hated the ever loving shit out of Parallax II after my first listen (coming from a big BTBAM fan), but then I learned to looove it. So yeah, nice, it only gets better the more you listen.

Yeah I was actually down on it my first listen or two. Then like a month or so later I pulled it out again and it blew me the fuck away.

That happens with a lot of albums for me.

TheExodu5

Banned

Yeah I was actually down on it my first listen or two. Then like a month or so later I pulled it out again and it blew me the fuck away.

That happens with a lot of albums for me.

Yeah that's certainly happened with me before. This one's gripping me from the get-go though! Well I got interrupted by my roomate coming home. Time to resume my listen!

I'm loving the down-tempo bits so damned much. The experimentation in the album is off the charts.

Extropomorph Exile...what a track. It's going to take a lot of listens to absorb everything it has to offer.

Vio-Lence

Banned

This needs to be repeated. Self tilted through seventh son of a seventh son is the best run of consecutive albums in metal history. so good, so consistent. i agree that brave new world was a good come back album, but everything after dance with death has been completely forgettable. I don't remember the last 2 maiden album names, and that speaks to how shitty they were.

Alright, another question! This Time...

What are your favorite Grindcore albums?

I'm going with Terrorizer's World Downfall

I'm not a big fan of grind, but my favourite grind band is Nasum. My favourite grind album is their Shift album.

Other favourites in the genre of mine are Nasum - Helvete and Repulsion - Horrified.

Self tilted through seventh son of a seventh son is the best run of consecutive albums in metal history. so good, so consistent.

The most amazing thing is those 7 albums were released in an 8 year span while constantly touring.

Other favourites in the genre of mine are Nasum - Helvete and Repulsion - Horrified.

Ah yes, how could I forget Repulsion.
Impetigo is another forgotten, but good band. A poor mans Repulsion if you will.

Gentlemen, what is your favorite Iron Maiden song? Mine would be Caught Somewhere in Time.

I can't just pick one:

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Aces High
Alexander The Great
Where Eagles Dare
Fear Of The Dark
Genghis Khan
Phantom Of The Opera

Alright, I love asking questions, and I love hearing answers because it means I discover more metal! (always a positive, right?) So next question for you folks:

What are your favorite Folk Metal albums?

classic stuff? can't go wrong with this, friend:

Manowar-2.jpg
2810608.jpg
cd-cover.jpg

Hail and fucking KILL.

I love Manowar so much. The first 4 are all Legendary, Fighting the World has moments of brilliance, Kings of Metal is so good it makes my loins explode. I actually like pretty much everything they have ever done. They are "that band" for me.

ShaneB

Dance of Death is hit or miss for me. The title track I'd actually put among the best Maiden tracks of their entire catalog, and the album has a bunch of tracks that are awesome, but a few duds as well sadly.

My favourite Maiden tracks are Phantom of The Opera and Revelations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom