• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I love asking questions, and I love hearing answers because it means I discover more metal! (always a positive, right?) So next question for you folks:

What are your favorite Folk Metal albums?

I prefer my folk metal to have a black metal background. My favourites of the genre would be Agalloch and Primordial. Agalloch for its beautiful mix of folk, black & doom. Primordial is more black/folk band with a pagan/celtic sound. Powerful songs with an amazing cleanish vocalist. To the Nameless Dead is an amazing album and a runnerup for my 2007 album of the year.

Melechesh (rec album Emissaries) and Orphaned Land ( rec allbum Mabool) are some nice examples of metal band with middle eastern folk influences.

I also adore folk influences in my atmospheric black metal, such as Negura Bunget ( rec OM) and Nokturnal Mortuum (rec The Voice Of Steel)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=042ULWGgaIE

Not a big fan of stuff like Ensiferum and Fintroll anymore, but folk metal is usually fun for festivals.

I'm not sure if you'd call it folk metal, or just acoustic prog, but Opeth's Damnation is about as far as I go into the realm of folk metal.

So you haven't heard any folk metal. Seems like a good time to explore the genre a bit, you have plenty of recommendations to start with :)

Kaladin

I'm not sure if you'd call it folk metal, or just acoustic prog, but Opeth's Damnation is about as far as I go into the realm of folk metal.

I prefer my folk metal to have a black metal background. My favourites of the genre would be Agalloch and Primordial. Agalloch for its beautiful mix of folk, black & doom. Primordial is more black/folk band with a pagan/celtic sound. Powerful songs with an amazing cleanish vocalist. To the Nameless Dead is an amazing album and a runnerup for my 2007 album of the year.

I'm listening to The Mantle right now. Did you know that the clicking sound on "The Lodge" is the skull of a Deer?

FYC

Banned
Dude i messed it up for six seconds. Were you just waiting for it?

KL2TBWE.png

Eternal Nightmare rules yeah

I'd go with the title track.

I'VE DRANK THE BLOOD THAT DEAD SOULS HAVE CRIED!
I'VE CURSED THE DEVIL THEN WATCHED HIM DIE!

Fuck it, the whole album is just classic track after classic track. I think I've mentioned before that's my favorite Thrash metal album plenty of times. I want to listen to it again after I'm done with The Mantle.

Watevaman

If you'd count it as pure folk metal, I nominate Asmegin's Hin Vordende Sod & Sø as my favorite folk metal album.

I like a lot of other offerings from the bigger names in folk metal like Korpiklaani and Moonsorrow but some of the lesser known stuff you find is really good.

If you'd count it as pure folk metal, I nominate Asmegin's Hin Vordende Sod & Sø as my favorite folk metal album.

I like a lot of other offerings from the bigger names in folk metal like Korpiklaani and Moonsorrow but some of the lesser known stuff you find is really good.

Whoa, Asmegin has some pretty cool musical motifs going on here.

Manu

Not sure I see the Opeth parallels...Orphaned Land seems to sound a lot more like Kamelot to me.

It depends on the album, really. Orphaned Land used to be a death metal band with some middle eastern influences and starting from Mabool they took a turn for a more folk/progressive approach. Their last three albums are great, if a bit inconsistent. Mabool is definitely their masterpiece though, I don't think they'll ever top it.

Serial Killer is probably my favorite song, but I honestly couldn't pick just one.

During the night of Vio-Lence's re-union show, they were recording a live album for the Eternal Nightmare re-release. Sean Killian gave me the mic and I did the "my silent grave" during the Serial Killer parts, but was too gruff and almost death metal-like....Sean joked about it on stage being too death metal and the song was omitted on the Live album :(

Too bad this song never made it on the Eternal Nightmare album: Vio-Lence - Paraplegic

FACE

Banned
During the night of Vio-Lence's re-union show, they were recording a live album for the Eternal Nightmare re-release. Sean Killian gave me the mic and I did the "my silent grave" during the Serial Killer parts, but was too gruff and almost death metal-like....Sean joked about it on stage being too death metal and the song was omitted on the Live album :(

Too bad this song never made it on the Eternal Nightmare album: Vio-Lence - Paraplegic

If I recall correctly Bodies on Bodies has different lyrics on that demo.

Paraplegic is great, any idea why it never made it into Eternal Nightmare?

Paraplegic is great, any idea why it never made it into Eternal Nightmare?

I've always read it was too controversial. Eternal Nightmare could have used 1 more song, but I'm fine with it being as short as it is since its so fucking brutal and doesnt let up. Besides, Paraplegic sounded a little too similar to Eternal Nightmare and Phobophobia.

I wish Oppressing The Masses would swap out half the songs with every song on the Torture Tactics ep...

Damn, I've never heard this song before.

For that matter, I really need to listen to Opressing the Masses.

FACE

Banned
I've always read it was too controversial. Eternal Nightmare could have used 1 more song, but I'm fine with it being as short as it is since its so fucking brutal and doesnt let up. Besides, Paraplegic sounded a little too similar to Eternal Nightmare and Phobophobia.

I wish Oppressing The Masses would swap out half the songs with every song on the Torture Tactics ep...

Oh, that's unfortunate. I don't mind that it's a bit similar to other songs from Eternal Nightmare mainly because every song on EN is just ridiculously good :p

That album needed a gutterslut oh so bad.

Damn, I've never heard this song before.

For that matter, I really need to listen to Opressing the Masses.

Opressing the Masses has too many mid-paced songs and not enough balls to the wall insanity, still a good album with some catchy choruses.

TheExodu5

Banned
Man, I'm going to get so much playtime out of BTBAM's Paralax II...the amount of depth in this album is absurd.

Apparently they're touring later this year and playing the album from start to finish with no pauses. I hope they make a stop in Canada.

Now that is an unfathomable comparison... unless they've really changed style lately. :S

I only had a listen to a few songs from their latest album. They sounded like Kamelot with a Middle Eastern twist.

I am back with yet another question. What is everybody's favorite Industrial Metal album?

For me, while I think some of the other bands that have been released over the years are pretty good, I would have to go with the one and only Streetcleaner, by Godflesh. Nothing else comes close, aside from maybe Too Dark Park (but that's not an Industrial Metal album, so never mind).

I am back with yet another question. What is everybody's favorite Industrial Metal album?

For me, while I think some of the other bands that have been released over the years are pretty good, I would have to go with the one and only Streetcleaner, by Godflesh. Nothing else comes close, aside from maybe Too Dark Park (but that's not an Industrial Metal album, so never mind).

The most obvious answer from me.
Streetcleaner has such a great brooding, mechanical, melancholic feel to it.

Godflesh S/T, Streetcleaner, Slavestate, Pure and all the EPs in between are unmatched.

Dead World came pretty close, but was super short lived and too much of a Godflesh ripoff.

Swans - Cop/Young God/Filth needs to be in this conversation. As well as early Scorn and Coil.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've never listened to BTBAM Alaska fully...man they sure have come a long way since then. Though Selkies will forever be one of their best.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Man I totally forgot how good None So Vile is.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Woo damn, one of my fav albums of all time. So fucking bad ass. EDIT: Listening to that track, and it's just phenomenal how brutal it is. The drumming is in some other realm, but everything just meshes so tightly. Gonna have to dig this whole album out.

Also, that Take Over And Destroy posted earlier is killer!

\m/ \m/

RDreamer

I've never listened to BTBAM Alaska fully...man they sure have come a long way since then. Though Selkies will forever be one of their best.

I can never really get into Alaska. There are a few really really great pieces and tracks strewn about (like Selkies), but other than that it's just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom