• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
I am back with yet another question. What is everybody's favorite Industrial Metal album?

For me, while I think some of the other bands that have been released over the years are pretty good, I would have to go with the one and only Streetcleaner, by Godflesh. Nothing else comes close, aside from maybe Too Dark Park (but that's not an Industrial Metal album, so never mind).

Yup.

The most obvious answer from me.
Streetcleaner has such a great brooding, mechanical, melancholic feel to it.

Godflesh S/T, Streetcleaner, Slavestate, Pure and all the EPs in between are unmatched.

Dead World came pretty close, but was super short lived and too much of a Godflesh ripoff.

Swans - Cop/Young God/Filth needs to be in this conversation. As well as early Scorn and Coil.

Streetcleaner for me as well. "Industrial" metal is a horrible genre so it's not like there's a whole lot to choose from anyway.

Skin Chamber, Sonic Violence and The Human Quena Orchestra are other noteworthy bands.

Swans and Coil are both incredible bands. I'm still kicking myself for not having the funds for Colour Sound Oblivion at the time :( I just checked discogs and the cheapest price is 700$

Are Swans considered Industrial Metal? Dang, I never thought of that, because I certainly would have included their earlier material, which is punishing in its own right and still some of the best examples of sounding like, well, machines pulverizing and crushing you into oblivion. I always thought they were just Industrial.

FYC

Banned
Godflesh is the only answer

While I had listened to a few random tracks by them before Giant Robot pushed me to finally sit down and listen to an entire album, good shit

Are Swans considered Industrial Metal? Dang, I never thought of that, because I certainly would have included their earlier material, which is punishing in its own right and still some of the best examples of sounding like, well, machines pulverizing and crushing you into oblivion. I always thought they were just Industrial.

They're not really a metal band at all but they were a big inspiration for the good industrial metal bands.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
On the subject of Melechesh, how do you feel about The Epigenesis?
Love it, though I probably slightly prefer Emissaries and Sphinx. Still, I think Grand Gathas of Baal Sin might be one of their best songs to date.

I need to get my hands on Djinn... I cannot get enough Melechesh for now.

fallout

Love it, though I probably slightly prefer Emissaries and Sphinx. Still, I think Grand Gathas of Baal Sin might be one of their best songs to date.
I'm in a similar boat. I was just curious, as you've expressed some distaste at the more "pretentious" types of metal, which I would argue that album has more of than their previous ones.

I need to get my hands on Djinn... I cannot get enough Melechesh for now.
I'm dying to get some new stuff.

I am back with yet another question. What is everybody's favorite Industrial Metal album?

For me, while I think some of the other bands that have been released over the years are pretty good, I would have to go with the one and only Streetcleaner, by Godflesh. Nothing else comes close, aside from maybe Too Dark Park (but that's not an Industrial Metal album, so never mind).

You cant get more definitive than Streetcleaner. The rest of their discography is pretty sweet as well, even the EPs. Hymns and Us and Them are my favourites after Streetcleaner.

sgjackson

I'm in a similar boat. I was just curious, as you've expressed some distaste at the more "pretentious" types of metal, which I would argue that album has more of than their previous ones.

I'm dying to get some new stuff.

I'm definitely an Emissaries guy when it comes to them. Love Melechesh. I'm a total sucker for Middle Eastern rhythms.

Are they putting out any new material soon?

TheExodu5

Banned
Sorry for doing this...this is going to sound retarded. I have this song in my head that I heard recently and I can't remember what the hell it is. I hummed the guitar riff:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1o1qZ4FcaGw

Anyone have any idea what this is? I will not be able to have a good night's sleep until I figure this out. >_<

So a friend of mine starting listening to Emmure.

That was AWFUL and was the equivalent of sticking red hot pokers in my ears. Seriously, what genius (sarcasm, obviously) thought it was a good idea to mix deathcore with nu-metal, for crying out loud! limp bizkit is the worst band of all time. Why on earth would you even attempt to be influenced to their horrendous music?

xist

2 recommendations for my Power Metal brothers:

5502039.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gckK6-hnqvU

1291733276_1243107139_crofr.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5EtghULJsg

kottila

Probably very late, but I just heard Hail to the King by Avenged Sevenfold (the song, not the album) and found it incredibly boring, especially the drumming. Is the album much better? Keep seeing good reviews everywhere

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm on my third relistening of Parallax II now...man this album is really starting to come together. I think I'm close to declaring this my favorite BTBAM album. Silent Flight Parliament may be my favorite song of theirs...even despite the massive shifts in style throughout the song it manages to stay entirely cohesive for the full 15 minutes and it never gets boring. That is quite a feat. It does have a bit of a battle against White Walls, though.

Touche. brokencyde for me is probably the worst band to exist, and I've listened to limp bizkit and emmure. Seriously, they make Nickelback and Linkin Park (both bands that are terrible) look decent in comparison.

Also, has any body had the chance to listen to the infamous Projekt Misanthropia by Stalaggh? Just finished listening to it.

Zero Hero

I'm on my third relistening of Parallax II now...man this album is really starting to come together. I think I'm close to declaring this my favorite BTBAM album. Silent Flight Parliament may be my favorite song of theirs...even despite the massive shifts in style throughout the song it manages to stay entirely cohesive for the full 15 minutes and it never gets boring. That is quite a feat. It does have a bit of a battle against White Walls, though.

It's a great album to listen to from start to finish.

FYC

Banned
Happy birthday, Persistence of Time!

AnthraxPersistenceOfTime.jpg

fuck yes it does, all natural without any effects too! That whole album fucking rules.

I think Antti Bowman put up all the Demilich recordings available for FREE.

EDIT: Free Demilich download

Christ. How have I not heard of this? It's beautiful

and free

also fuck the itunes version of effigy of the forgotten, there's a small 2 second gap between habitual and reincremation. curse you steve jobs!!!!!!

New A Pregnant Light EP is streaming - http://www.stereogum.com/1443181/st...rs-will-fall-stereogum-premiere/album-stream/

New Batillus video - Concrete http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fvwo9mQEM&feature=youtu.be

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The debut City in the Sea full-length, Below the Noise, is out and it's pretty good.

25343BIG.jpg

Polished to a mirror shine production-wise, has some really catchy hooks, sweet atmospherics and I'm really enjoying the clean singer's slightly snarling sound. Not the most groundbreak record and the lead singer/harsh vocalist is subpar to my ears, but overall I'm enjoying it. If you enjoy melodic metalcore stuff, I highly suggest checking it out.

Kaladin

Another new awesome Correction's House song:

Run Through The Night

correctionshouse.jpg

If you don't remember my multiple posts about this awesome supergroup, they're Mike IX Williams from Eyehategod, Scott Kelly from Neurosis, Bruce Lamont from Yakuza, Sanford Parker from Minsk.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Any body else here enjoy Atheist or Cynic? Come on, let's get some love!

Unquestionable Presence is pretty much my pick for best metal album of all time.

I think everyone in this thread loves Cynic and Atheist.

Focus, Piece of Time, and Unquestionable Presence are all classics. The bass and drum tracks on Unquestionable Presence are fucking insane.

Cynic's unreleased song off their demo before Focus is amazing as well: Cynic - Pleading For Preservation

Tony Choy plays bass on both songs!

blahness

Run Through The Night

correctionshouse.jpg

If you don't remember my multiple posts about this awesome supergroup, they're Mike IX Williams from Eyehategod, Scott Kelly from Neurosis, Bruce Lamont from Yakuza, Sanford Parker from Minsk.

I cannot wait for this album. So glad I got to see them earlier this year.

If you aren't aware of Temple, this is a must-listen. From the first few minutes of the first song 'Mountain' I was pretty blown away.
a2896287856_2.jpg

http://templeofficial.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-steps-of-the-temple

Instrumental, doom/blackened/post-metal. The songwriting, riffs and atmosphere are incredible. Possibly the most legit band in this kind of sound that I've heard.

Someone on GAF posted about this band sometime last year and it was one of my favorite albums of all last year. Well worth checking out for anyone who hasnt heard them yet.

blahness

New announcements for MDF 2014:

"It has been awhile since we've announced any bands, so here are a few confirmations to hold you over until things really start to pick up with band announcements, starting next week!

UNLEASHED (Sweden) - Exclusive US appearance!
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK) - Exclusive US appearance!
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

As you can see, we didn't spend the month of August booking dozens of bands, as we've been in the middle of sorting out the venue situation for next year, which is looking very positive right now. We plan on revealing more info about that during the first half of September.

The next announcement of confirmed bands will be next week, and you can expect frequent updates in September and October as we continue to book more bands. Headliner announcements are still to come.

Updated list of confirmed bands for MDF XII:

AT THE GATES (Sweden)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
TAAKE (Norway)
MGLA (Poland)
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
HEMDALE
BONGRIPPER
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)"

Kaladin

Run Through The Night

correctionshouse.jpg

I cannot wait for this album. So glad I got to see them earlier this year.

Finally got to listen to this song.....this might just be my album of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom