• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valtýr

If you aren't aware of Temple, this is a must-listen. From the first few minutes of the first song 'Mountain' I was pretty blown away.
a2896287856_2.jpg

http://templeofficial.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-steps-of-the-temple

Instrumental, doom/blackened/post-metal. The songwriting, riffs and atmosphere are incredible. Possibly the most legit band in this kind of sound that I've heard.

Yup. Really good stuff and kickstarted a month long bandcamp buying spree that resulted in getting stuff from Halcyon, Widek, and Gru. Bandcamp is awesome.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Valtýr;77607221 said:
Yup. Really good stuff and kickstarted a month long bandcamp buying spree that resulted in getting stuff from Halcyon, Widek, and Gru. Bandcamp is awesome.

Aww yeah. Always good to see people getting into these guys, especially Gru.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
this thread needs more Japanese death metal, specifically Intestine Baalism. It's a bizarre mix of Suffocation, Dismember, Iron Maiden, and some cheesy moments from Gothenburg bands like In Flames/Dark Tranquility.

Intestine Baalism - A Place Their Gods Left Behind
Intestine Baalism - Flesh For The Twelfth Omnipotent
Intestine Baalism - Galaxy Of The Black Sun

FINALLY someone else posts a non-doom (with other sub-genres attached) band...

anyways, i rike it. Gonna explore these guys more. thanx for the suggestion brah

The debut City in the Sea full-length, Below the Noise, is out and it's pretty good.

25343BIG.jpg

Polished to a mirror shine production-wise, has some really catchy hooks, sweet atmospherics and I'm really enjoying the clean singer's slightly snarling sound. Not the most groundbreak record and the lead singer/harsh vocalist is subpar to my ears, but overall I'm enjoying it. If you enjoy melodic metalcore stuff, I highly suggest checking it out.

lol your description makes them look terrible in my eyes. This kind of stuff was already old and insufferable 5 years ago or more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
if you're a fan of ... fuck, fan of metal, period, you should listen to this album. goddamn old school goodness:
Eh, as generic as I'd expect from a band naming itself after a goddamn Diablo character... lol.

It's not bad, mind you, and a million times better than the post-sludge-core bollocks that plague this thread, but there's just too many better bands in the same style to really pay attention to these guys, IMO, at least based on those samples.

Eh, as generic as I'd expect from a band naming itself after a goddamn Diablo character... lol.

It's not bad, mind you, and a million times better than the post-sludge-core bollocks that plague this thread, but there's just too many better bands in the same style to really pay attention to these guys, IMO, at least based on those samples.

it's very german-ish (well, they're germans, lol), reminds me of Grave Digger.

speaking of german metal, 2 recommendations i rarely (never?) see in the thread (you probably heard at least of one of them):

ironsavior.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptq_D5Ugf9w

WizardOdinCover.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bONVP6Y0jXw

Quick question for you folks: what exact genre would you put Dissection under? I've heard and read arguments that they fall under Black Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Blackened Death Metal, etc. Dissection are brilliant (Storm of the Lights Bane still is the most personally effective record I've heard that perfectly conveys the coldness of a European Winter)

What genre would you classify them under?

Quick question for you folks: what exact genre would you put Dissection under? I've heard and read arguments that they fall under Black Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Blackened Death Metal, etc. Dissection are brilliant (Storm of the Lights Bane still is the most personally effective record I've heard that perfectly conveys the coldness of a European Winter)

Metal. It's a gray area. People get way too involved with it. It's one of those bands that will have a hybrid name like Blackened Death Metal, strong black metal tinged riffs and aesthetics with the relentless bludgeuoning of death metal. The obvious black and death metal sound is apparent, so it sorta makes sense to classify it as a hybrid. Bands like Desaster or Swordmaster will call themselves Blackened Thrash Metal, obvious staccato/riff driven music with black metal blasting and ideologies.

I welcome these sorts of hybrids, but sometimes get annoyed by pinpoint classification.

Speaking of Desaster, here's a song from them that's metal as fuck:
Desaster - Metalized Blood

excerpt:
Brothers of Metal, warriors of steel
Bang now your heads to the sound
Our violent is takin' command
Together we are standing proud

Drums are pounding, guitars are sqeeling
Whimps and posers end we will see
Bass is roaring, vocals scream wild
Now metalized blood is running free

Spikes'n Metalized Blood
Chains'n Metalized Blood
Bullets'n Metalized Blood
Leather'n Metalized Blood

BANG OR BE BANGED !!!

Duji

I've never listened to Iron Maiden ever so I just started with their debut. Pretty solid record. "Phantom of the Opera" and "Remember Tomorrow" are fantastic. Will jump on to their "Killers" album next.

fallout

I've never listened to Iron Maiden ever so I just started with their debut. Pretty solid record. "Phantom of the Opera" and "Remember Tomorrow" are fantastic. Will jump on to their "Killers" album next.
You are in for a fun ride, my friend.

Hey! post-sludge-core is my favourite kind of -core. Don't discriminate!

sgjackson

Genre pedantics are silly. I feel like whatever Metal Archives says is usually good enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Desaster is pretty badass. Hellfire's Dominion gets a lot of plays. I should listen to Tyrants of the Netherworld more often too, now that I finally have it...

Hey! post-sludge-core is my favourite kind of -core. Don't discriminate!

:D I discriminate easily and often, friend.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Soundwave 2014 dates and line-up announced (subject to change, of course). Tickets go on sale Sept. 5th.

• Feb 22 - Brisbane
  • Feb 23 - Sydney
  • Feb 28 - Melbourne
  • Mar 01 - Adelaide
  • Mar 03 - Perth

Headliners appear to be Green Day and Avenged Sevenfold, subheadliners/top openers appear to be Stone Temple Pilots (w/ Chester from Linkin Park) and Alice in Chains. Otherwise, a few gems mixed in with a some shitty bands (especially near the top of the list) and a bunch of artists I am unfamiliar with.

Potential artists of interest for those in the Metal thread:

• Rob Zombie
  • Down
  • Megadeth
  • Devildriver
  • Newsted
  • Clutch
  • Baroness
  • August Burns Red
  • Testament
  • GWAR
  • Black Dahlia Murder
  • Mushroomhead
  • Volbeat
  • Amon Amarth
  • Whitechapel
  • Tesseract

More complete lineup at the link above.

Desaster is pretty badass. Hellfire's Dominion gets a lot of plays. I should listen to Tyrants of the Netherworld more often too, now that I finally have it...

Yeah, I love Hellfire's Dominion. For the longest time I thought King Diamond did guest vocals on that album. Tyrants of the Netherworld has some of the catchiest riffs as well. Everything after that was meh.

Desaster - Disciples of Darkness

that chorus riff fucking rules.

Two questions regarding Black Sabbath:

• Favorite Songs
  • Favorite Album

I'm going with Master of Reality for my favorite Sabbath album. As for song? Maybe Into the Void and Supernaut.

Two questions regarding Black Sabbath:

• Favorite Songs
  • Favorite Album

I'm going with Master of Reality for my favorite Sabbath album. As for song? Maybe Into the Void and Supernaut.

Song - Under The Sun/Everyday Comes and Goes, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven and Hell, Killing Yourself To Live

Album - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Sabotage comes a close second, but Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my most listened to album by them.

Dio's vocals on Heaven and Hell sends chills down my spine all the time. Miss that voice :(

Definitely one of my favorite albums this year.

Word is that Eyehategod drummer Joe LaCaze has died at 42. :( Unsure what it means for the few 25th anniversary shows coming up in a few weeks.

Yeah, I just saw on facebook. Sucks, I just missed them live recently and everyone talks about how awesome the show was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom