• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank you all for the recommendations, but the Power Metal albums I've been listening to aren't really growing on me the more I listen to it...

ARGH.

Edit: Or not. It will take me a while, perhaps. I'm still new to the genre. It's one of the few genres where I have pretty much no experience in.

Hmm.. This is some great stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yszaOJHPjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgDtfDDu41Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIdxS_e89Vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7Oxw8HqLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTPqQEtMWnc

Arkanius

Woaaaah D: Okay no offence but I gotta say sth about this.

I speak for those bands I know:

Orphaned Land are Progressive yeah, but on a totally different direction than Opeth, Opeth tend to add jazz and acid sounds to their music quite often, OL don't, they like to follow and explore more folk local sounds and adding interesting female voice and other eastern elements.

Devin Townsend: You gotta be joking to compare two different and complex bunch of musicians. Devin Townsend is like a black hole, you never know where he can take you in the next album musically and lyrically speaking, (and Opeth tend to be quite repetitive and predictable at times :/) so again, nothing to do.

Conclusion: "Progressive" doesn't mean all the bands that like to experiment with new sounds are strictly related or alike to Opeth.

But kudos for the tattoo design, loved the way you got the elements together, very cool!

Speaking of Opeth and Orphaned Land
Don't they have the same director? Opeth's mixes are one of my favorites, I've personally never listened to a better balanced sound and clarity in their songs. Non-brickwalled, good soundstage, etc etc.
Orphaned Land also seem to get so many of those traces and characteristics in the last albums. Which is great, to be honest, many great bands fail to reach their potential because their songs are muddy messes.

EDIT:

Seems I am wrong:

" The Never Ending Way of ORWarriOR is Orphaned Land's second concept album. The album was mixed by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree"
Steve Wilson is also working with Mikael Åkerfeldt, for their project Storm Corrosion.

Basically, it's just good engineering in both cases.

TheExodu5

Banned
Opeth does have really good mixes for a metal band. Watershed in particular was a fantastic sounding album.

It sucks when you have a great sounding band ruined by a terrible mix. Animals as Leaders first album was so good, but the mix is so terrible that I can barely listen to it anymore.

RDreamer

Woaaaah D: Okay no offence but I gotta say sth about this.

I speak for those bands I know:

Orphaned Land are Progressive yeah, but on a totally different direction than Opeth, Opeth tend to add jazz and acid sounds to their music quite often, OL don't, they like to follow and explore more folk local sounds and adding interesting female voice and other eastern elements.

Devin Townsend: You gotta be joking to compare two different and complex bunch of musicians. Devin Townsend is like a black hole, you never know where he can take you in the next album musically and lyrically speaking, (and Opeth tend to be quite repetitive and predictable at times :/) so again, nothing to do.

Conclusion: "Progressive" doesn't mean all the bands that like to experiment with new sounds are strictly related or alike to Opeth.

But kudos for the tattoo design, loved the way you got the elements together, very cool!

I still think Orphaned Land can get pretty similar to Opeth, if Opeth used more middle eastern elements, that is. They're close enough anyway that depending on why you might like Opeth, you'll probably like OL. That's mostly what I was getting at.

But anyway, I wasn't particularly trying to say all those bands sound like Opeth. They don't. In Townsend's case I was trying to word it (possibly poorly) to say that people who like Opeth also like Townsend, not that Townsend really sounds like Opeth. I know quite a lot of people that can't get into more extreme metal or anything like that, but like Townsend and Opeth both just fine.

And yeah Townsend does so many different things it's crazy. Opeth has found their sound and are sticking to it for the most part. Townsend sticks to nothing. That's why Townsend is probably my 2nd favorite musician (or possibly tied) to Steven Wilson.

Speaking of Opeth and Orphaned Land
Don't they have the same director? Opeth's mixes are one of my favorites, I've personally never listened to a better balanced sound and clarity in their songs. Non-brickwalled, good soundstage, etc etc.
Orphaned Land also seem to get so many of those traces and characteristics in the last albums. Which is great, to be honest, many great bands fail to reach their potential because their songs are muddy messes.

EDIT:

Seems I am wrong:

" The Never Ending Way of ORWarriOR is Orphaned Land's second concept album. The album was mixed by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree"
Steve Wilson is also working with Mikael Åkerfeldt, for their project Storm Corrosion.

Basically, it's just good engineering in both cases.

Steven Wilson worked on Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation with Opeth.

Opeth learned a bit from him when they went on to produce their next albums.

Kaladin

Opeth does have really good mixes for a metal band. Watershed in particular was a fantastic sounding album.

It sucks when you have a great sounding band ruined by a terrible mix. Animals as Leaders first album was so good, but the mix is so terrible that I can barely listen to it anymore.

New Warbeast album. Listen to anything off the new album and compare it to something from the old one.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
First listen for the upcoming Jesu album, Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came: Jesu - "Homesick"

Also, one of my new roommates just walked out of my apartment wearing a Napalm Death shirt. Gonna be a good year.

This is so fucking true. Misha from Periphery acting as engineer/programmer/co-producer is I think the main reason for it.

Quackula

Also, one of my new roommates just walked out of my apartment wearing a Napalm Death shirt. Gonna be a good year.

I went to a Whataburger really late at night a month or so back wearing a Napalm Death shirt. As I was leaving this one dude in the drive through went nuts when he saw me. "YEAH!! NAPALM RULES!!!!" etc.

Fun.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Official trailer for Euroblast Festival 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UugnjkXzev8

October 11-13, 2013
Essigfabrik, Cologne, Germany

http://www.euroblast.net/

Lineup-Meshuggah-Euroblast-2013.jpg

running-order-euroblast-2013.jpg

gtb9j.jpg

I've been listening to this Divine Eve compilation in anticipation for their debut album, which will hopefully release later this year. They play doomy Celtic Frost inspired death metal.
As the Angels Weep
Velvet of the Godless

My friends, recommend me some killer black metal.

I've been jamming on heavy as fuck stuff like Cryptopsy, All Pigs Must Die, NAILS, and Dead in the Dirt, so now I'm getting a hankering for some more melodic, blackened stuff.

Listening to my old stand-by of WITTR's "Two Hunters" right now, but I'm realizing I just don't have enough black metal, so lay it on me. New or old, doesn't matter!

Svartsyn
Cultes Des Ghoules
Ride For Revenge

Kaladin

Damn you Opeth, why is your Ghost Reveries double vinyl only in your Euro web store? Don't you know that shit is expensive for us Americans?

Dan Swano is brilliant. I suppose you are familiar with Crimson I, Edge of Sanity? One of my all time favorite metal albums.

Also, for those who are interested, you enjoy this band?

220px-Testimony_Of_The_Ancients.jpg

I love most of the Edge of Sanity stuff, especially Crimson I and Spectral Sorrows.

Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients is a weird album to me. It often gets lumped with Cynic's Focus and Atheist's Unquestionable Presence, which is nowhere near the ridiculous-ness of those albums. The album just feels kinda dry and too many breaks in between each song.

Consvming Impvlse is the most kvlt!

PARRICIIIIIIIDE!!

Edit: If you haven't listened to it, track down the Desintery demo. It's heavy as FUCK.

Yea that demo is amazing. Perfect blend of thrash/death.

First listen for the upcoming Jesu album, Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came: Jesu - "Homesick"

Not bad. It sounds a lot better than Ascension and Opiate Sun. I wish Jesu would go back to their heavier stuff...

Speaking of Opeth...

http://www.roadburn.com/2013/08/opeths-mikael-akerfeldt-to-curate-2014-roadburn-festival/

We’re elated to announce that Mikael Åkerfeldt has agreed to curate Roadburn Festival 2014 on Friday, April 11th at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands. As curator, Mikael will personally select the bands for his special event, and play a headline show with Opeth, too!

I have never been a fan of Opeth so this is not so good news for me. Hope the guy has good taste at least.

I love most of the Edge of Sanity stuff, especially Crimson I and Spectral Sorrows.

Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients is a weird album to me. It often gets lumped with Cynic's Focus and Atheist's Unquestionable Presence, which is nowhere near the ridiculous-ness of those albums. The album just feels kinda dry and too many breaks in between each song.

I have a buddy who's a pretty big fan of Spheres, but that album always seemed a bit awkward every time I listen to it. Also, you can't forget Malleus Maleficarum. It's more of a Thrash Metal album than a Death Metal album, but it's a superb release.

Kaladin

What is everyone's opinion on Testament? To me, their a serviceable and sometimes even great thrash band, but nothing in their catalog has really ever stood out for me. They're never going to be the band that makes me go HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO SEE/HEAR THESE GUYS.

Ixion

Ive seen opeth live multiple times. Im starting to believe i was somehow tricked into it.

Only saw them live during their joint Mastodon tour last year, and they only played Heritage with the exception of two older songs at the end. They were good, but everyone was yelling for the heavy shit until they played it. lol

I have a buddy who's a pretty big fan of Spheres, but that album always seemed a bit awkward every time I listen to it. Also, you can't forget Malleus Maleficarum. It's more of a Thrash Metal album than a Death Metal album, but it's a superb release.

Whoops, Spheres is the album I meant, not Testimony of the Ancients.

What is everyone's opinion on Testament? To me, their a serviceable and sometimes even great thrash band, but nothing in their catalog has really ever stood out for me. They're never going to be the band that makes me go HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO SEE/HEAR THESE GUYS.

I'm a big fan of their first 4 albums. They can sometimes sound like a 2nd rate thrash metal band. But it's Alex Skolnick's solos that brings me back every time, making me rewind his parts at least a couple of times per song. Low was a great refresh for them. The Gathering was alright, but was the start of the overproduced groove/thrash crap for them.

The issue I have with Opeth, outside of not being too interested in their stuff anymore, is that Akerfeldt seems to have contempt for heavy music now. Devin on the other hand, he can go from Ghost to Deconstruction at the same time and both sounds are sincere. Steven Wilson's best stuff was his production of Orphaned Land's masterpiece.

FYC

Banned

The Legacy and The New Order are godlike

Ravager61

The issue I have with Opeth, outside of not being too interested in their stuff anymore, is that Akerfeldt seems to have contempt for heavy music now. Devin on the other hand, he can go from Ghost to Deconstruction at the same time and both sounds are sincere. Steven Wilson's best stuff was his production of Orphaned Land's masterpiece.

Contempt? Why, because they put out 1 album that doesn't have any death vocals? That's not what I would call contempt. Are people forgetting Bloodbath?

I'm not in love with Opeth or anything but I do enjoy them. I never really understood why so many people seem to hate them so much. They seem no more offensive to me than Devin Townsend's solo stuff.

RDreamer

I really don't get that they have contempt for heavy stuff. At all. I think Mike did an album that he was insanely proud of, and wanted to showcase that. He felt that certain heavy songs wouldn't fit in with a setlist with those, too, and that's why they mostly did some lighter stuff for a while. I don't think that shows contempt. Hell, I'm pretty sure they did a death metal tour almost immediately after the main Heritage one and since the rest of the bands were heavier they too went with a heavy setlist.

Also, the Heritage songs sound awesome as hell live. They sound as heavy as they need to be, and have a lot of dynamics. I've seen them a few times and quite honestly the Heritage tour was my favorite of the times. They knocked that shit out of the park that time.

And it's funny that you mention Townsend, because for a little while he did have a bit of contempt (well, probably not the word for it, but something similar) for his heavy SYL type music. If you look into some of his writings on Deconstruction it was a bit of a trial for him to start getting back into that headspace again.

Kaladin

Contempt? Why, because they put out 1 album that doesn't have any death vocals? That's not what I would call contempt. Are people forgetting Bloodbath?

I'm not in love with Opeth or anything but I do enjoy them. I never really understood why so many people seem to hate them so much. They seem no more offensive to me than Devin Townsend's solo stuff.

Akerfeldt isn't in Bloodbath anymore, and I think he's mentioned the conscious move away from heavier music in interviews.

RDreamer

Akerfeldt isn't in Bloodbath anymore, and I think he's mentioned the conscious move away from heavier music in interviews.

Meh, not a big deal. The dude's been doing that same sort of heavy sound for a while now. I don't blame him for being sick of playing it. He's always been heavily into old prog acts and things like that so it's no surprise he's finally going into that space, or at least trying to anyway.

As much as I love Opeth's trademark sound I don't give a shit what he does now. I want him to experiment with things. I already have a bunch of Opeth records that perfect that sort of sound. Heritage was new and interesting and while not perfect I think if he kept going in that direction it could be something really cool.

Contrary to what one might believe, many fans of metal/metal musicians in general have a passion for music outside of metal. I LOVE Thrash Metal for its aggression and sheer musical violence. But despite all of this, my favorite band is still The Smiths, not to mention I love the likes of Nick Drake, Pet Sounds, Weezer's Pinkerton, Stevie Wonder, etc. Perhaps other metal musicians feel the same way about other forms of music as well?

Kaladin

As much as I love Opeth's trademark sound I don't give a shit what he does now. I want him to experiment with things. I already have a bunch of Opeth records that perfect that sort of sound. Heritage was new and interesting and while not perfect I think if he kept going in that direction it could be something really cool.

Pretty much this......as long I enjoy the sounds, I don't care what genre or sub-genre of music they're making.

I was at an Opeth show a few years ago where he stopped the show for like 10 minutes and had the drummer go through typical death metal beats, saying to the audience something to the effect of 'here's how to do it, if you ever want to play real death metal drums'. It was wack.

@RDreamer: There's a difference between staying heavy and being in the SYL headspace heh.

Only saw them live during their joint Mastodon tour last year, and they only played Heritage with the exception of two older songs at the end. They were good, but everyone was yelling for the heavy shit until they played it. lol

I saw them during their Heritage tour as well. Only songs with clean vocals, I think they played the entirety of Heritage, plus some Damnation/Watershed and some other songs. Shit was amazing, the Heritage songs were great live. And I didn't realise before how many heavy songs Watershed had with clean vocals. Plus Akerfeld is incredibly entertaining.

RDreamer

@RDreamer: There's a difference between staying heavy and being in the SYL headspace heh.

There is. I suppose I may have worded that wrongly, but even doing Deconstruction, which is similar but obviously not SYL had him pretty apprehensive it seems.

It's all a matter of scale. He had done some other "heavy" stuff between SYL's demise and that album, but just not to that scale. Similarly I think some of Heritage is heavy, just not normal Opeth heavy.

But anyway, both of them, I think, suffered from the same sort of thing. Dev felt forced to continue in that style for far longer than he was comfortable, just because that's what the fans wanted and that's what the record label wanted, etc. Then he just got sick of it and had to quit entirely. Mike's been on the same sort of sound for the same reasons, probably, and he's just sick of that sort of thing. He doesn't have the same bi-polar and drug problems that Dev had, but even so. He does one experimental album and people turn and shit on him. That's probably why he sounds even more firm and contemptuous about the heavy stuff.

I some them during their Heritage tour as well. Only songs with clean vocals, I think they played the entirety of Heritage, plus some Damnation/Watershed and some other songs. Shit was amazing, the Heritage songs were great live. And I didn't realise before how many heavy songs Watershed had with clean vocals. Plus Akerfeld is incredibly entertaining.

Yeah, I didn't really realize that either about Watershed. But those songs and the Heritage ones fit really well, and the concert kicked all sorts of ass.

Listening to Heritage now again because of this discussion, and the record is awesome.

Yeah, I didn't really realize that either about Watershed. But those songs and the Heritage ones fit really well, and the concert kicked all sorts of ass.

Listening to Heritage now again because of this discussion, and the record is awesome.

I still need to listen to Watershed all the way through. Burden and Coil are lovely.

Ixion

I some them during their Heritage tour as well. Only songs with clean vocals, I think they played the entirety of Heritage, plus some Damnation/Watershed and some other songs. Shit was amazing, the Heritage songs were great live. And I didn't realise before how many heavy songs Watershed had with clean vocals. Plus Akerfeld is incredibly entertaining.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the Heritage stuff, but there was one guy who kept yelling, "Demon of the Fall! C'mon, play Demon of the Fall!" Yelled it between every song.

Then finally Michael said, "OK, we're going to play an old song for you.......this song's about demons." BOOM.

I know they don't get that much love here, but new Avenged Sevenfold is out. I've always enjoyed them.

Their new album has some greatly improved solos and musically I quite enjoy it, but I wish their songwriting changed to match their music style change. I dont feel the lyrics and lyrical flow matches the style they where going for with this album.

Also, you can really hear the Sad But True influence in the song This Means War

Gonna listen to the new Devil Driver again tomorrow, I wasn't really feeling it, but I didn't not like it. I like to give albums a few listens before I write them off.

Their in my top 5 favorite metal bands. I love everything they've done except Demonic.

Their ballads are my favorite ballads.

Chuck Billy is an amazing vocalist.

Alex Skolnick's solos are absolutely god-tier.

I'm going to the Lamb of God concert in Chicago in Oct. just to see Testament.
I really really like Testament.

BenN

Has any body here listened to Blut Aus Nord?

220px-MoRT_cover.jpg

Yes! One of my favourite black metal (?) bands...Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars is one of the best BM albums of recent years. Really looking forward to part 3, which was announced recently.

Recently picked up the work which transforms god on vinyl...sounds amazing.

Ravager61

Yes! One of my favourite black metal (?) bands...Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars is one of the best BM albums of recent years. Really looking forward to part 3, which was announced recently.

Recently picked up the work which transforms god on vinyl...sounds amazing.

Had no idea Memoria Vetusta pt 3 was coming. Very stoked for that. Also, I'm jealous of your TWWTG vinyl. I'll pick that one up someday hopefully.

Has any body here listened to Blut Aus Nord?

220px-MoRT_cover.jpg

I love me some Blut Aus Nord. Memoria Vetusta I and The Work Which Transforms God are both amazing and they both have a quite different feel. Ultima Thulee and Memoria Vetusta II are also pretty good.
But at the same time, they have stuff like MoRT and Odinist, which are mediocre. And I agree with pablitos sentiment: they released those three 777 albums in the last couple of years and I kind of lost interest after the first and the second one.

Anyways I love the final track of TWWTG: Procession of Dead Clowns

bounchfx

I love me some Blut Aus Nord. Memoria Vetusta I and The Work Which Transforms God are both amazing and they both have a quite different feel. Ultima Thulee and Memoria Vetusta II are also pretty good.
But at the same time, they have stuff like MoRT and Odinist, which are mediocre. And I agree with pablitos sentiment: they released those three 777 albums in the last couple of years and I kind of lost interest after the first and the second one.

Anyways I love the final track of TWWTG: Procession of Dead Clowns

Just listened to Memoria II. Thank you, it was fucking great. But I just realized you said I was amazing, so if II was that good I'm really looking forward to I now haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom