• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
220px-Extreme_Aggression.jpg

EXTREME AGGRESSION!!!!!!!!!

TheExodu5

Banned
As much as I love Opeth's trademark sound I don't give a shit what he does now. I want him to experiment with things. I already have a bunch of Opeth records that perfect that sort of sound. Heritage was new and interesting and while not perfect I think if he kept going in that direction it could be something really cool.

Pretty much how I feel. Every album has been new and exciting for me, and I want to see even more experimentation from Opeth.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I still think Orphaned Land can get pretty similar to Opeth, if Opeth used more middle eastern elements, that is. They're close enough anyway that depending on why you might like Opeth, you'll probably like OL. That's mostly what I was getting at.

But anyway, I wasn't particularly trying to say all those bands sound like Opeth. They don't. In Townsend's case I was trying to word it (possibly poorly) to say that people who like Opeth also like Townsend, not that Townsend really sounds like Opeth. I know quite a lot of people that can't get into more extreme metal or anything like that, but like Townsend and Opeth both just fine.

And yeah Townsend does so many different things it's crazy. Opeth has found their sound and are sticking to it for the most part. Townsend sticks to nothing. That's why Townsend is probably my 2nd favorite musician (or possibly tied) to Steven Wilson.

Steven Wilson worked on Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation with Opeth.

Opeth learned a bit from him when they went on to produce their next albums.

Oh ok, cool yeah, now I get ya, but yes, I think all the musicians named are complete and monsters but I thin that to me Devin Townsend is one of those master minds that the world need every now and then. The man is a box without bottom and extremely sensitive human being, got the chance to meet him a few months ago, and he has this halo around him that transmits peace, like seriously peaceful man, and always thankful with the fans, is crazy. I've seen that in people like Tuomas Holopainen, Eicca Toppinen and Kai Hahto. But Devin... even if it sounds cheesy as hell, he blew my mind.

Quackula

They listed Bolt Thrower as grindcore? wtf
Bolt Thrower did come out of the hardcore scene, so I can kinda see that connection, especially if you're talking about In Battle There Is No Law (and maaaaaaybe Realm of Chaos). That chart is using the IBTINL logo after all, so that might be where they're getting that from.

...but it's also a Sam Dunn chart so lol.

Arkanius

Pretty much how I feel. Every album has been new and exciting for me, and I want to see even more experimentation from Opeth.

Exactly how I feel
I think Opeth has done its thing in the Death Metal already, they are now spreading out from there.
Heritage was all sorts of good, Folklore is my favorite song on that album (that outro...)
I want more from them! But maybe it's because I'm biased, I love Progressive Metal.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They listed Bolt Thrower as grindcore? wtf

ME_OS_LOSTEPISODE_V2_WEB.jpg
It's Sam Dunn. He thinks Cradle of Filth is Norwegian black metal, Opeth is goth metal, Sodom is death metal, Candlemass is stoner, there's no such thing as doom apparently (but let us NEVAH FORGET the importance of "shock rock" and "hard alternative" in a metal docu, of course...) and Enslaved is more influential than Venom or Celtic Frost, etc. He's well-intentioned but pretty much always very, very clueless.

Duji

Contrary to what one might believe, many fans of metal/metal musicians in general have a passion for music outside of metal. I LOVE Thrash Metal for its aggression and sheer musical violence. But despite all of this, my favorite band is still The Smiths, not to mention I love the likes of Nick Drake, Pet Sounds, Weezer's Pinkerton, Stevie Wonder, etc. Perhaps other metal musicians feel the same way about other forms of music as well?

Here's Mikael Akerfeldt's favorite albums:
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark (1974)
Scott Walker - Scott 3 (1969)
Nick Drake - Bryter Later (1970)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
Rainbow - Rising (1976)
Bathory - The Return (1985)
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (1969)
Whitesnake - Whitesnake (1987)
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (1999)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973)
Abba - Arrival (1976)

Here's Mikael Akerfeldt's favorite albums:

Man, that's a great list! I love Nick Drake in particular. Really beautiful, absolutely stunning folk music. Pretty much one of the greatest in all of Folk to live, period.

I really should sit my ass down and give Joni Mitchell's Blue a listen. I've listened to some of the songs, and it's beautiful. Her singing is slightly bluesy, but always delicate and fits the subject matter at hand.

He says on the Royal Albert Hall DVD that his desert island disc is Bryter Layter.

It's a masterpiece, and the same goes for pretty much all three of his albums. Listen to all of what he did. He was truly a treasure of music.

To switch the topic back to metal, do you all prefer Emperor's In The Nightshade Eclipse, or Anthems to the Welking at Dusk?

Nightside Eclipse by far.

I was listening to that album at the perfect time tonight, and I personally feel that it is easily the quintessential album that has everything that I personally want out of the Black Metal genre (atmosphere, aesthetic, melody, vocals, lyrics, etc.). Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane comes close, however.

To switch the topic back to metal, do you all prefer Emperor's In The Nightshade Eclipse, or Anthems to the Welking at Dusk?

Anthems, followed by Prometheus.

This "thread" on last.fm has some amazing logos too.

I don't think (s)he understand the concept of "best". That would imply you make some kind of selection, not just dump almost every logo in there. Some of them are pretty meh. And I prefer the new Immortal logo (up old, bottom new)

Melchiah

M5N2iKK.jpg

really though, i love the Autopsy logo(s).

Heh, same here.

On a side note, seems like Pungent Stench is active again. This was posted on their FB page.
73tPR3r.jpg

We hereby inform you that after a 6 year break PUNGENT STENCH are back in business, again!

Original composer, vocalist and guitarist El Cochino (Martin Schirenc) has once again beaten the odds by re-animating the filthy kings of odor, and is joined by his henchmen Danny Vacuum (Genocide SS, The Accidents) on bass & vocals and Mike G. Mayhem (Hollenthon) on drums.

Due to possible legal bullshit regarding the use of the name “Pungent Stench”, the re-born triumvirate from Vienna/Austria will perform all future shows under the banner: “THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH’

Fans will finally get what they’re asking for, throughout the years: An old school set list including some rare and even never played before material, such as tracks from the 1989 split LP with Disharmonic Orchestra, as well as classic smash hits from their first three albums!

The band is highly motivated and will play its first official show on Friday, 13th December 2013 at the Eindhoven Metal Meeting in The Netherlands. That day, THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH will perform together with other highly appreciated artistes such as Napalm Death, Brutal Truth, Vomitory , Watain, Belphegor, Tiamat and Carpathian Forest.

Smell you later,

THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH

And now for something completely different.
ZM4anYgl.jpg

Heh, same here.

On a side note, seems like Pungent Stench is active again. This was posted on their FB page.

And now for something completely different.
ZM4anYgl.jpg

hahah...
Awesome to see Pungent Stench back doing some stuff. For God Your Soul...For Me Your Flesh and Been Caught Buttering are classics.

Doomshine

and Enslaved is more influential than Venom or Celtic Frost, etc. He's well-intentioned but pretty much always very, very clueless.

He actually talks about this in an update just posted on the indiegogo page:

Now, there’s probably a few people reading this thinking “Is Enslaved really a critical band in the evolution of Extreme Metal? Surely there are bands that have made a bigger impact!?” And yes there are. But here’s my case.

First off, let me be frank, I’m a huge of fan of Enslaved. I think they’re one of the most exciting bands in metal today. But this isn’t the primary reason they’re in the Extreme Metal episode. Because Metal Evolution is a series about the evolution of the sound, lyrics, imagery and industry of heavy metal and hard rock, I think it’s vital to include bands that embody this evolution in their own musical trajectory.

Signed to Euronymous’ pioneering underground label Deathlike Silence, Enslaved began their career amidst the horde of Norwegian black metal bands that emerged onto the scene in the early 90s. And while there were certainly elements of their original sound that hinted at where they were going (tinges of folk-prog, mystical themes, adventurous song structures) they were no doubt firmly part of the black metal pack (blast beats, “primitive” production, buzzsaw guitars). Then something happened. With albums Below the Lights, Isa, Ruun, Vertebrae and onwards, they broadened their sound incorporating clean vocals, soaring harmonies, mellotron and jagged time shifts, all without jettisoning their black metal roots, earning them the respect of die-hards and newcomers alike. They broke free from the rigid orthodoxy that all-too-frequently restricts Extreme Metal bands while maintaining the fury and aggression that keeps the sub-genre unique and meaningful for lovers of underground music.

Have I made my case? I’ll get off my soapbox. You can be the judge when the Extreme Metal episode hits screens!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/metal-evolution-extreme-metal-the-final-round/x/4570484?c=activity

Ixion

Nope. All that stuff can be attributed to Bathory too. But nice try, fanboy. xD

Well, he uses the word 'important' instead of 'influential', and while Venom and Celtic Frost may have provided the more influential albums early on, Enslaved has been more consistent with putting out highly-rated music, which Dunn may consider more important (he seems to greatly value their evolution as a band).

Doomshine

Apparently Nils K Rue of Pagan's Mind is going to be a contestant on The Voice in Norway. Should be on Friday and he's going to sing Run to the Hills in the audition.

xist

Apparently Nils K Rue of Pagan's Mind is going to be a contestant on The Voice in Norway. Should be on Friday and he's going to sing Run to the Hills in the audition.

Whilst i love the idea of metal songs in these music contests it always turns out to be more in line with "smile at the strange person until they go away". It's only acceptable if it's familiar...although i suppose in Norway there's probably more chance of it being fine. One of the more memorable metal auditions was this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOD5mcMnfmI

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
+1 to Absu. Maybe my favorite logo.

Bad points to Fleshgod Apocalypse for having a neat logo and changing it to one of the most bland logos ever.

7XeppnT.jpg

to
3p6wckr.png

And more:

Windir
1g6Y6Tk.jpg

Dismember
lH0iyse.gif

Whilst i love the idea of metal songs in these music contests it always turns out to be more in line with "smile at the strange person until they go away". It's only acceptable if it's familiar...although i suppose in Norway there's probably more chance of it being fine. One of the more memorable metal auditions was this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOD5mcMnfmI

I like this one better because he's having a hard time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfiSxzf9Ins

How fucking metal Aurora Borealis is for making logos for each song for the Northern Lights album:

R-2215311-1302078056.jpeg

Obituary_Logo.jpg

Alright, guys, do you have any Black Metal Albums that are similar to the likes of Far Away from the Sun from Sacramentum? I think that type of Black Metal is my personal preference, instead of the more Lo-Fi Black Metal typically exemplified by the likes of Darkthrone.

Alright, enough of this. List your metal favorites! Feel free to add favorite genres and categories that I may not have listed (For example, if you want to list your favorite speed/Groove/Power/Symphonic metal albums)

All Time Favorite Metal Band: Death
Runner Up Favorite Metal Bands: Opeth, Meshuggah
Favorite Metal Genre: Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Experimental Metal

Favorite Metal Vocalist: Ihsahn
Favorite Metal Guitarist: Chuck Schuldiner
Favorite Metal Bassist: Steve DiGiorgio
Favorite Metal Drummer: Tomas Haake

Favorite Metal Album: Opeth's Blackwater Park
Favorite "Traditional" Metal Album: Black Sabbath's Paranoid
Favorite NWOBHM Album: Iron Maiden's Powerslave
Favorite Thrash Metal album: Vio-Lence's Eternal Nightmare
Favorite Death Metal album: Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten