• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

For anyone interested the Flenser have a 20% off everything sale on until September 3rd (expect for pre-orders and the recent Panopticon vinyl releases)

Boss-de-Nage II is already ridiculously priced at 5 bucks for the CD. You have no excuse, really.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Two questions for you folks.

1. What media do you prefer your metal? Me? I personally prefer purchasing physical copies over digital. Much better sound quality for one, and having a physical copy is always a plus for me any way. Besides, iTunes has that "you can only have your music on up to five computers and if you lost those computers you lost your music", and I'm just not a fan of that. So I don't purchase music from them, I usually use iTunes for listening to metal albums right then and there.

2. Where do you usually purchase your metal music? I'm fortunate that there is a record exchange, and they have quality metal albums. I have not had to order music online, but I suspect that this may change.

Digital is handier but I still buy physical cds now and then.

Bandcamp and local record stores. Sometimes iTunes.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For any maudlin of the Well fans who stopped following them when they became Kayo Dot and largely became less and less of a metal band with each album, you should really check out their new one. It is very motW-esque at times, and is generally just a very good avant-garde metal record. Definitely the heaviest thing they've done in a long, long time.

You can stream some of it here:

http://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/hubardo

My well is drying out! Give me a classic Old School Death Metal album, and stat!

I posted this a few pages back.

gtb9j.jpg

I've been listening to this Divine Eve compilation in anticipation for their debut album, which will hopefully release later this year. They play doomy Celtic Frost inspired death metal.
As the Angels Weep
Velvet of the Godless

Some other less obvious classics worth checking out.
Grotesque (not an album but who cares)
Gorement
Disciples of Mockery
Sadistik Exekution
Convulse
Merciless
Therion

There's just so much quality death metal out there.

Oh thank you! Whew, I was looking for Death Metal like a man looks for water in a desert.

If you feel that the Sentenced-album that Blackheim posted was up your alley, I strongly recommend, that you give their debut album, Shadows of the Past, a go. I know, that North From Here is considered to be a masterpiece and the pinnacle of Sentenced's death metal-era, but I've always found the dry and sterile sounds on North to be somewhat of a turn off. But hey, judge yourself:

Sentenced - Shadows of the Past

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I forgot that Nadja did a covers album until this just came up on shuffle:

Dead Skin Mask

I'm sure this would make some Slayer fans ill, but I fucking love it. I generally don't even like the idea of cover songs, but this is a personal favorite.

TheExodu5

Banned
So now that I've listened to BTBAM's The Parallax II a dozen or more times I think I'm ready to declare it my favorite BTBAM album. I've went back to Colors and The Great Misderect, and while they do have great individual songs, they feel a lot more segmented than TPII does. TPII just has such a great sweeping musical narrative to it that it comes together better as a full album than it's predecessors.

I'm still going to get a hell of a lot of life out of this album too...it is brutally complex even for BTBAM.

So now that I've listened to BTBAM's The Parallax II a dozen or more times I think I'm ready to declare it my favorite BTBAM album. I've went back to Colors and The Great Misderect, and while they do have great individual songs, they feel a lot more segmented than TPII does. TPII just has such a great sweeping musical narrative to it that it comes together better as a full album than it's predecessors.

I'm still going to get a hell of a lot of life out of this album too...it is brutally complex even for BTBAM.

Parallax II definitely feels like it comes together the best out of all the albums, I myself can't even listen to the album unless I'm listening to it in its entirety. I still put Colors as my favorite album since I think it's the same way, difference being I can listen to any of those songs without the rest of the album any day, and also shameless nostalgia.

They're playing the whole thing in its entirety on their tour that's coming up and it's going to be awesome.

TheExodu5

Banned
Parallax II definitely feels like it comes together the best out of all the albums, I myself can't even listen to the album unless I'm listening to it in its entirety. I still put Colors as my favorite album since I think it's the same way, difference being I can listen to any of those songs without the rest of the album any day, and also shameless nostalgia.

They're playing the whole thing in its entirety on their tour that's coming up and it's going to be awesome.

They're visiting 3 western Canadian cities...I'm in Ottawa and they're coming nowhere near me. No Toronto or Montreal show. :( I'm super bummed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Satan was so ridiculously good at Wings of Metal. I expected them to be good but they surpassed my expectations by a long shot, they really blew me away. I'm gonna have to hurry and pick up that new album of theirs.

I mean Manilla Road was awesome, of course, it's Manilla Road. I already knew how good they were live because I saw them at MDF (though now they played two hours as headliners, woohoo). But they are experienced touring musicians so it's a given. Satan had disbanded for almost 3 decades and were only just reuniting (I think they reunited once in 2004 for Wacken or something but they haven't been very active), yet it didn't show at all. Just an amazing performance. Brian Ross especially, wow, dat voice.

It was funny to see a crowd chant "Satan! Satan! Satan!" between songs. We sounded like a bunch of crazy cultists haha. :D

...Anyone know how old Graeme English is? He's been around since like 1980 but he barely looks 40.

And since there are two Skyclad members in Satan, and now I know they are willing to make the trip to Montreal, I hope this means we can get Skyclad in Montreal at some point in the future... :D

I missed the party on this one, as I haven't been around for a bit. I'm still doing it because I'm a sucker for lists.

All Time Favorite Metal Band: Manowar
Runner Up Favorite Metal Bands: Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden
Favorite Metal Genre(s): Power, Folk, Traditional

Favorite Metal Vocalist: Eric Adams
Favorite Metal Guitarist: Andre Olbrich
Favorite Metal Bassist: Steve Harris
Favorite Metal Drummer: Christian Nyqvist

Favorite Metal Album: Manowar - Into Glory Ride
Favorite "Traditional" Metal Album: Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Favorite NWOBHM Album: Iron Maiden - Killers
Favorite Thrash Metal album: Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Favorite Death Metal album: Death - Symbolic
Favorite Grindcore Album: N/A
Favorite Industrial Metal album: N/A
Favorite Black Metal Album: Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Favorite Doom Metal Album: While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
Favorite Stoner Metal Album: N/A
Favorite Sludge Metal Album: N/A

If new frequenters and people who missed the initial "list your favorites" postings want to do it late, then I'm all for that.

Bro fist.

So, I'm listening to the new Turisas. It's not as bad as a lot of people seem to be making it out to be, but it's definitely their worst, and has some truly bizarre shit on the second half of the album. I'm a sucker for mid-paced anthemic stuff, so the first half is quite good to these ears, but the bizarre "No Good Story Ever Starts With Drinking Tea" is just way too ridiculous to comprehend.

All Time Favorite Metal Band: Between the Buried and Me
Runner Up Favorite Metal Bands: Immolation, Death
Favorite Metal Genre(s): Death, Grindcore/Crust/whatever you want to call it

Favorite Metal Vocalist: Luc Lemay
Favorite Metal Guitarist: Chuck Schuldiner
Favorite Metal Bassist: Steve Digiorgio
Favorite Metal Drummer: Blake Richardson

Favorite Metal Album: Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Favorite "Traditional" Metal Album: Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Favorite NWOBHM Album: Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Favorite Thrash Metal album: Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Favorite Death Metal album: Immolation - Close to a World Below
Favorite Grindcore Album: Lock Up - Necropolis Transparent
Favorite Industrial Metal album: N/A
Favorite Black Metal Album: Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Favorite Doom Metal Album: Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Favorite Stoner Metal Album: High on Fire - Death is This Communion
Favorite Sludge Metal Album: N/A

I couldn't wait for the new Gorguts to arrive so I'm listening to it now. Its met all of my expectation and then some. Heavy as a motherfucker with incredibly catchy riffs.

lmpaler

I am seeking Summon's albums. Jesus they are hard to find and no torrents anywhere, or they are dead. I am looking through sellers to find some that won't sell me a shit disc, but that band kicks major ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom