• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit! How could I forget Holy Diver?!?! Adding it to the list.

Regardless, those are some excellent picks. I actually like the alternate cover art for Severed Survival more the explicit version. Something more creepy about it.

Shit! How could I forget Holy Diver?!?! Adding it to the list.

Regardless, those are some excellent picks. I actually like the alternate cover art for Severed Survival more the explicit version. Something more creepy about it.

I also feel the alternate cover is a bit more deranged and quite a few bands have parodied it. The original cover is a classic in it's own right, but it's a little childish:

Autopsy_severed_survival.jpg

fuck it, im just gonna post almost all of the Judas Priest covers because they are brilliant.

Rockarollareissue.JPG

Sad_wings_of_destiny_cover.jpg

Jpstandclass.jpg

Judas_Priest_British_Steel.jpg

JudaspriestpointofentryUSA.JPG

Judaspainkiller.JPG

Kaladin

So yeah....I went to a music festival over the weekend and one of the main things I was looking forward to was seeing Scott Kelly (of Neurosis) doing his solo acoustic material with a band behind him. Mike IX Williams was unable to attend due to the passing of Eyehategod's drummer but it was still an amazing set.

I filmed one song:

We Let The Hell Come
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2L8ePgI3tM

He was backed by Jason Roeder and Noah Landis, also from Neurosis.

Old Man's Child - In Defiance of Existence

Old+Man_s+Child+-+In+Defiance+of+Existence.jpg

The insert is awesome too.

Old%20Mans%20Child%20Defiance%20Back.jpg

Danzig - Thrall Demonsweatlive

7975.jpg

I remade that in art class in school. The teacher did not appreciate it like I did.

Kaladin

540124_10151613585907006_284637423_n.jpg

Yes...yes...yes....and yes.

WARBRINGER IV: EMPIRES COLLAPSE

RELEASE DATE - 10.28 (USA) / 10.29 (EUR)
ARTWORK BY: ARIENNE ROZZI
CONCEPT BY: WARBRINGER

So I listened to the first two tracks off Annihilator's Feast. Pretty good.

Can't wait to listen to the rest tonight! Also really want to hear the "re-makes" of the older songs.

blahness

Saw Gorguts and Inter Arma tonight. I have to both sounded so great live. Near perfect.

Setlist:
From Wisdom To Hate
The Carnal State
Le Toit du Monde
An Ocean of Wisdom
Forgotten Arrows
Nostalgia
Inverted
Obscura
Orphans of Sickness
The Erosion of Sanity

HEY COOL

A new 40 minute interview with Hansi (from Blind Guardian) which covers a whole bunch of interesting stuff for fans of the band

http://www.metalcommand.net/mp3/hansi.mp3

I particularly enjoyed his comments on Arjen Lucassen and Jon Schaffer

New Blind Guardian album in late 2014 or early 2015 (goddammit). 7 tracks from the orchestral album are complete

HEY COOL

A new 40 minute interview with Hansi (from Blind Guardian) which covers a whole bunch of interesting stuff for fans of the band

New Blind Guardian album in late 2014 or early 2015 (goddammit). 7 tracks from the orchestral album are complete

Can't listen because of work, what does he say about him?

Kaladin

HEY COOL

7 tracks from the orchestral album are done? So we'll see it this side of 2020 then?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Can't listen because of work, what does he say about him?

I had to skip around to find where they were talking about him, so I might have missed any shorter, earlier comments, but like 30 some minutes in, he talks about the first time they met each other and their first tour together, and then goes on to talk about his good qualities as a friend and a musician, like "if he considers you a friend, you will be a friend for life" and stuff like that.

Saw Gorguts and Inter Arma tonight. I have to both sounded so great live. Near perfect.

Setlist:
From Wisdom To Hate
The Carnal State
Le Toit du Monde
An Ocean of Wisdom
Forgotten Arrows
Nostalgia
Inverted
Obscura
Orphans of Sickness
The Erosion of Sanity

Man, you just made me want to listen to all of their albums yet again. I need to still pick up The Erosion of Sanity.

I just found out my copy of Considered Dead is the remastered import version with two bonus tracks; it's No. 706 out of 2000. I guess it's not that rare, but still pretty damn good.

7 tracks from the orchestral album are done? So we'll see it this side of 2020 then?
Doubtful. I'm guessing 2035 :p

I had to skip around to find where they were talking about him, so I might have missed any shorter, earlier comments, but like 30 some minutes in, he talks about the first time they met each other and their first tour together, and then goes on to talk about his good qualities as a friend and a musician, like "if he considers you a friend, you will be a friend for life" and stuff like that.
Yeah, essentially this. It's just always interesting to hear a personal perspective on well-known musicians.

Also Hansi talks about the potential of doing music for another 20 years. He says he doesn't know if he will but it's a possibility. Yes please.

haha, after the album leak mess last month Nuclear Blast throws up the full album stream on shitty YouTube.

Also got this email from Nuclear Blast the other day:
Dear Carcass fan,

Due to a manufacturing delay we will be unable to ship the Carcass “Surgical Steel (Super Deluxe Surgical Kit)” on time for arrival by street date. These box sets are manufactured in Europe and due to delays at our supplier we will not receive the box sets until approximately Sept. 27th. We will ship your entire order including the box set as soon as we receive them. We apologize for the delay since we know how anxious you are to receive this great new album. So that you don’t miss out on hearing the album on street date, we will email you a link to an exclusive FREE digital download of the album on the US street date of Sept. 17th. Keep an eye on your inbox for your code to download the entire “Surgical Steel” album and once again we apologize for the unforeseen delay. As we mentioned, we will ship your entire order including any other items that you ordered with the box set once the box sets arrive around Sept. 27th.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best regards
Nuclear Blast Team

Kaladin

So yeah....I went to a music festival over the weekend and one of the main things I was looking forward to was seeing Scott Kelly (of Neurosis) doing his solo acoustic material with a band behind him. Mike IX Williams was unable to attend due to the passing of Eyehategod's drummer but it was still an amazing set.

I filmed one song:

We Let The Hell Come
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2L8ePgI3tM

He was backed by Jason Roeder and Noah Landis, also from Neurosis.

In case any Neurosis fans who might be interested missed it....

Am I the only who's tried, and failed miserably, to rank his (or her, if you're a chick) favorite metal albums in order?

The only definite pick is Atheist's Unquestionable Presence at No. 1. Other than that, I always ending up stalling.

Aside from that, I've been trying to digest Spheres by Pestilence. Strange album, but it might grow on me, hopefully.

Kaladin

Am I the only who's tried, and failed miserably, to rank his (or her, if you're a chick) favorite metal albums in order?

The only definite pick is Atheist's Unquestionable Presence at No. 1. Other than that, I always ending up stalling.

Aside from that, I've been trying to digest Spheres by Pestilence. Strange album, but it might grow on me, hopefully.

I can't rank any albums in order. It switches around by the minute. I can give you my favorite albums by year (mostly) but beyond favorite, I can't rank anything.

Seanspeed

Banned
Questions questions questions! You're the never ending question machine it seems! :p

Ryan Clark are Ed Repka are probably among my top artists/designers I guess. I tend to like more minimalist artwork if anything, or at least artwork that is more matte and/or less immediately intricate. Spheres, symmetry and space imagery are also favorites for me.

Trenches - The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole

The Analyst - Summoning the Wretched

Cloudkicker - Fade

Cloudkicker - Hello

August Burns Red - Messengers

Distances - Ages

Tesseract - Altered State

Winters - ...And Bear Witness to the Colossus...

Becoming the Archetype - Dichotomy

Red Seas Fire - Exposition

Buried at Sea - Ghost

Hollow Tongue - Godsnakes

Lost in Kiev - Motions

The Famine - The Raven and the Reaping

The Famine - The Architects of Guilt

Callisto - True Nature Unfolds

Demon Hunter - Storm the Gates of Hell

Hugi - Solarliod (PS: This album is some super fucking shitty black metal and I regret buying it but god I love the design work, which honestly made me think it wasn't even a black metal band to begin with, lol. Also, I had horrible time even finding good digital artwork when I ripped it so this is actually my scan of it)

Great stuff. I hate cheesy metal album covers almost as much as I hate cheesy fantasy/sci-fi book covers. These are all top-notch.

Metallica posted a couple of Through The Never clips....

Enter Sandman intro....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22kyNihBkg

Cyanide....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J574AwlfCEg

This looks like fun, especially the Enter Sandman clip. I've got my ticket.

Also Wherever I May Roam.

I'm sold. Movie looks like quite the ride! I do wish that had at least one song from Load and St. Anger tho.

I always felt Hero of the Day was underrated. They should play it more.

Edit: ooops wrong song title, Sandman.

Kaladin

Also Wherever I May Roam.

I'm sold. Movie looks like quite the ride! I do wish that had at least one song from Load and St. Anger tho.

I always felt Hero of the Day was underrated. They should play it more.

Outlaw Torn would be amazing for this movie.

Edit: you know what...I posted Wherever I May Roam as ES....some fan I am. :) I'll just say I wasn't really paying attention to the song and watching it....yeah....I'll say that.

Alright Metal-GAF, I'm back with more questions. I do believe Heavy Metal cover art is, well, an art. So:

1. What are your Favorite prominent Metal Cover artists(IE Dan Seagrave)

Dan Seagrave, Necrolord, Travis Smith, Ed Repka, Larry Carroll, Vince Locke, Derek Riggs

2. In general, what are your favorite Metal Album Covers?

Here are a few, I'm sure there are plenty of egregious omissions I"m forgetting at the moment but oh well.

Bell Witch: "Longing"
Bell-Witch-Longing.jpg

Agalloch: "Marrow of the Spirit"
Agalloch-Marrow-Of-The-Spirit-2010.jpg

Emperor: "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk"
600full-anthems-to-the-welkin-at-dusk-cover.jpg

Cobalt: "Gin"
22671_cobalt_gin.jpg

Opeth: "Heritage"
Opeth-Heritage.jpg

Black Sabbath: "Black Sabbath"
gal-metalalbum07-jpg.jpg

Mastodon: "Leviathan"
leviathan.jpg

Burzum: "Filosofem"
burzum-filosofem.png

Ixion

Played some Meshuggah at one of the local Irish bars we usually go to. The whole bar got a lot quieter and after a few minutes the bartender just put on his iPod and just switched to dance music.

I was always curious to see what would happen if I put something like that on at a normal bar. lol

Melchiah

The whole album is great, but Bails (of Flesh) and Rows (of Endless Waves) are my favorites; the clean singing and the movie sampling aren't my favorite but they fit the songs well.

Yeah, the sampling isn't that great, but I love the Beneath the Mask song itself. It kinda reminds me of The Last of Us, as do some of their other songs, or parts of them.

Kaladin

Opeth: "Heritage"
Opeth-Heritage.jpg

The thing that I love about this album cover is the heads falling off the tree. Per Wiberg's head is falling off the tree and he left the band after this album was done recording. You can assume the skulls represent other past members though I haven't done a count.

I really hated that album when it first came out due to the lame vocals. I got over it though by concentrating on the insane technicalities and craft from the rest of the guys, especially the drummer and bassist.

The vocals in this album are pretty bad, I definitely agree. It wasn't quite as bad as Watchtower's debut, though.

But either way, the playing in this one is pretty incredible, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom