• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was ham-fisted. At least it's not as bad as reading any of Robert Christgau's pathetic excuses for a "review".

I never said it was a good review, just that there would be one which is neat. Even if the review is total dross, the fact that it's there in the first place is surprising to me.

lmpaler

Picked up the new Fleshgod yesterday, grudgingly after Agony, but I must say that it is vastly better than before. I'm still waiting for more Oracles, but this is a step in the right direction.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In odd news, apparently it got reviewed in the New York Times as well.

Here.
Ariana Grande and Gorguts reviews in the same article. Amazing.

Colored Sands is incredibly dense, as you'd expect a Gorguts album to be. It's gonna take a while to digest, but I like it a lot so far.

Ariana Grande and Gorguts reviews in the same article. Amazing.

Colored Sands is incredibly dense, as you'd expect a Gorguts album to be. It's gonna take a while to digest, but I like it a lot so far.

Exactly. I'm not reviewing it yet either, other than to say it's a really dense listen and I like it a bunch. Give me a week or two and I'll write something up. I won't even hazard a comparison to their back catalog, except to say that it's probably their most technical recording to date.

Kaladin

Fuuuuuuuuuck.....yeah. I think it's the year for me to go up to Maryland in May.

Here we go with the 3rd round of confirmed bands for MDF XII!

Remember, you can click on any band name on the MDF website for more info about a band and/or their appearance at MDF.

ULVER (Norway) - First time in the US / Exclusive US show! Please refer to their band profile on the MDF website for more info about their performance.

CANDLEMASS (Sweden) - Exclusive US show!

SARKE (Norway) - Featuring Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone - Exclusive US show!

ASPHYX (Netherlands) - Exclusive US show!

TANKARD (Germany) - Exclusive US show!

GOD MACABRE (Sweden) - First time in the US / Exclusive US show!

SOILENT GREEN - First confirmed US show in years!

MACHETAZO (Spain) - Exclusive US show!

EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)

GRAVES AT SEA

Here is an updated alphabetical list of confirmed bands for MDF XII:

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES (Sweden)
BONGRIPPER
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MGLA (Poland)
SARKE (Norway)
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

Yep....looks like it.

Here is an updated alphabetical list of confirmed bands for MDF XII:

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES(Sweden)
BONGRIPPER
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MGLA (Poland)
SARKE (Norway)
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

Yep....looks like it.

Damn, I want to see all those in bold.

What is the most experimental metal band you can think of? I need some more metal!

I love the traditional Thrash/Death stuff, but I'm in the mood for something eclectic.

FACE

Banned
I'm sure most heavy metal wouldn't even exist if artists weren't willing to experiment.

Nowadays what is labeled as "experimental" is usually a bunch of instruments being played on different tempos with random screaming on top.

At least that's my experience with more "experimental" metal.

Nowadays what is labeled as "experimental" is usually a bunch of instruments being played on different tempos with random screaming on top.

At least that's my experience with more "experimental" metal.

I agree that experimental is abused to the point where most of the emotional core is lost, but surely there has to be some bands out there who strive on making interesting experimental music? Mixing different genres together and using unorthodox tempos, rhythms, textures, etc.

On second note, please forgive my first statement. I should of realized that blending genres is not the same thing as "Experimental music". Something like The Beatles Revolver and is the former, while garbage like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is the latter.

What is the most experimental metal band you can think of? I need some more metal!

I love the traditional Thrash/Death stuff, but I'm in the mood for something eclectic.

I would have to say Painkiller and/or Naked City. Call it what you will, but that shit is unsettling. More in line with grindcore/noise though.

Lots of ties with Justin Broadrick, Mick Harris, Mike Patton, Yamatsuka Eye, Bill Laswell, etc fronted by John Zorn.

Abruptum is pretty fucking out there, black metal experimental shit. I can't stand it.
Oxiplegatz is some weird nonsense. I used to have that album and fucking tossed it.

Weirdest/experimental/avante-garde type stuff that I really love is all the Pan-Thy-Monium stuff.

I would have to say Painkiller and/or Naked City. Call it what you will, but that shit is unsettling.

Ah, big fan of John Zorn.

Honestly, I think Experimental Metal is better in theory than it is in execution. For every Cynic's Focus you have tons of dissonant, amelodic, boring crap that passes off as amazing just because it's different in the worst ways possible. I would put iwrestledabearonce (good god are they downright awful), but they aren't even a metal band to begin with, any way.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Kekal, but their more recent albums have been really in left field, like glitch-and-sample heavy, dark ambient-influenced stuff. Acidity, 1000 Thoughts of Violence, and The Habit of Fire are right in the happy-medium for me and are killer records. Their early stuff is pretty decent black metal, too.

Kekal, but their more recent albums have been really in left field, like glitch-and-sample heavy, dark ambient-influenced stuff. Acidity, 1000 Thoughts of Violence, and The Habit of Fire are right in the happy-medium for me and are killer records. Their early stuff is pretty decent black metal, too.

Cool. A buddy of mind recommend Sigh. I didn't like them at first, but they're starting to grow on me.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Cool. A buddy of mind recommend Sigh. I didn't like them at first, but they're starting to grow on me.

I've heard Sigh is of a similar style to Kekal, but I've never really looked into them.

Also, if you're looking for genre bending groups, DDM (side-project of Totality's Danny Dodge) has an interesting death metal/electronic/deathcore flavor, and Crossfaith has a surprisingly cohesive but odd melodeth/metalcore/electronic mixture (but obviously both not everyone's cup of tea here. YMMV).

Otherwise I might through out like Nuclear Rabbit because I'm a big fan of Jean Baudin and think their music can be interesting, hilarious, and bizarre at the same time, but they're definitely an acquired taste, and probably have too many influences to be called any broad genre honestly, let alone metal.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Seems to be the biggest complaint most have.

I like it, although I still don't know what to make of the damn second half.

Yeah and that kinda bugs me, the fact that people refuse to accept the efforts of one band to do some changes; let the dudes do their job, for feck's sake! I think their sound is more rough, not so commercial, and not that bombastic, which is always great!

One friend told me "is just the album sounds like a bunch of demos" maybe... but that makes it unique and cool.

The anthemic stuff is great as always, and it's always been Turisas' strength. I feel they get a little too busy and nutty towards the end of the disc, but I certainly don't mind what they are trying. It's definitely not THAT big of a departure, though. Not sure where all the outrage is coming from, honestly.

Has anyone ever heard of Wolfenhords? I saw a few of their songs listed one night in the YouTube sidebar when listening to some Burzum one night.

Alright Metal-GAF, I'm back with more questions. I do believe Heavy Metal cover art is, well, an art. So:

1. What are your Favorite prominent Metal Cover artists(IE Dan Seagrave)

Dan Seagrave, Necrolord, Travis Smith, Ed Repka, Larry Carroll, Vince Locke, Derek Riggs

2. In general, what are your favorite Metal Album Covers?

Every Opeth Album
Godflesh's Streetcleaner
Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea
Possessed's Seven Churches
Dio's Holy Diver
Most of Dan Seagrave's Work
Slayer's South of Heaven
Metallica's Master of Puppets
Cryptopsy's None So Vile
In Flame's The Jester Race
Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse
Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts (Yes, that one)
Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath
Atheist's Unquestionable Presence
Autopsy's Severed Survival
Bathory's Bathory
Candlemass's Nightfall

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Alright Metal-GAF, I'm back with more questions. I do believe Heavy Metal cover art is, well, an art. So:

Dan Seagrave, Necrolord, Travis Smith, Ed Repka, Larry Carroll, Vince Locke, Derek Riggs

Questions questions questions! You're the never ending question machine it seems! :p

Ryan Clark are Ed Repka are probably among my top artists/designers I guess. I tend to like more minimalist artwork if anything, or at least artwork that is more matte and/or less immediately intricate. Spheres, symmetry and space imagery are also favorites for me.

Trenches - The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole
Cover.jpg
The Analyst - Summoning the Wretched
Cloudkicker - Fade
Cloudkicker - Hello
August Burns Red - Messengers
Distances - Ages
Tesseract - Altered State
Winters - ...And Bear Witness to the Colossus...
Becoming the Archetype - Dichotomy
Red Seas Fire - Exposition
Buried at Sea - Ghost
Hollow Tongue - Godsnakes
Lost in Kiev - Motions
The Famine - The Raven and the Reaping
The Famine - The Architects of Guilt
Callisto - True Nature Unfolds
Demon Hunter - Storm the Gates of Hell
Hugi - Solarliod (PS: This album is some super fucking shitty black metal and I regret buying it but god I love the design work, which honestly made me think it wasn't even a black metal band to begin with, lol. Also, I had horrible time even finding good digital artwork when I ripped it so this is actually my scan of it)

I think album art, especially in metal, is a HUGE part of the appeal. Feeling intrigued, curious and/or scared flipping through albums at a record store was always part of the fun. Sometimes I'd just buy shit based on album art. Too bad not a lot of people do that anymore since the digital download age, hence why some album art sucks nowadays.

Theres too many to pick from, but some of my favorite iconic ones. Instead of listing them, post the pics since it is album ART:

51p8MBOTgTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

75.jpg

slayer-haunting-the-chapel(ep)-20120404133252.jpg

tumblr_mrf8hxUs2e1s15yqzo1_500.jpg

624.jpg

10650.jpg

51MC6DXZD6L._SX300_.jpg

51jOtyYa4lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

mlil.jpg

tumblr_m3fn8uhnvc1qfbtx3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqbdef8Boc1qbgk6so1_500.jpg

51CHovdYvrL.jpg