• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Looks like the vinyl insert sheet for Reek/Symphonies.

I've learned my lesson quite some time ago to NEVER sell any of my stuff regardless of how shitty the album was. A lot of the re-releases will have shitty mastering/brickwalling. Atheist - Piece of Time re-master was notorious for having loud popping and distortion...

People are wanting stupid money for the first 2 Malevolent Creation albums now :\

Yep, Reek of Putrefaction, like I mentioned in my post. ;) I get an overwhelming sense of nostalgia every time I look at the album.

I sold most of my black metal vinyls away, when I was moving to CDs, and as I got up to 70-150€ for some of the albums. In total, they netted somewhere around 3000€. I did keep some, like the two first albums of Carcass, for sentimental reasons.

Ixion

Why? Is everybody sick of my questions or something?

ol4hy.jpg

Flynn

There was some rumblings that Nachtmystium was over, but it looks like they have a new line-up and are playing some shows in Chicago. I am glad for this.

OK, I'll ask everybody what their top 20 metal albums are, RANKED.

Nah, I'm kidding. I'll cool out on the questions though, as much as I love asking them. As a metal fan, knowing the favorites of others and (hopefully) picking up new bands/songs/albums is a passion of mine.

Frankly, I haven't figured this out yet, so I don't have an answer for it.

3bhhcZk.jpeg

So apple used sunbather's cover in the iPhone 5c presentation! So mainstream!

I would have done the same

I thought it was a joke, but apparently not!
Gonna be seeing Deafheaven in a couple weeks here. Still kinda getting mixed thoughts about Deafheaven, but probably because its fresh sounding.

I thought it was a joke, but apparently not!
Gonna be seeing Deafheaven in a couple weeks here. Still kinda getting mixed thoughts about Deafheaven, but probably because its fresh sounding.

I got already tickets to see them in two different days here in Holland but I'm still hoping they also get to play at Roadburn. Yeah, I'm pretty much obsessed with them at the moment.

Also obsessed with Primitive Man's Scorn. Seriously guys, listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0RFTMpX30&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ravager61

I got already tickets to see them in two different days here in Holland but I'm still hoping they also get to play at Roadburn. Yeah, I'm pretty much obsessed with them at the moment.

Sunbather is still my favorite album so far this year. This iPhone stuff won't help their "hipster" image any but I'm glad to see them getting more exposure.

blahness

Sunbather is still my favorite album so far this year. This iPhone stuff won't help their "hipster" image any but I'm glad to see them getting more exposure.

I just got Sunbather, great record even though I wasn't too fond of Roads to Judah. Such as a shame it came in a lousy gatefold package, I hate those things.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So the town I'm rarely gets any smaller touring artists through, aside from the occasion stadium/civic center artist (mainly country acts). Once in a while we get a few hardcore punk bands come through and have a few local/within-driving-distance hardcore bands able to play as openers. Not that big deal, the few we get are generally pretty good groups. Caught a pretty good group the other night.

But...later this month apparently Cancer Bats are going to be coming to town...playing as their Black Sabbath tribute band alter-egos, Bat Sabbath. I'm definitely gonna go check it out, lol.

Kaladin

What are the albums? How are we supposed to find obscure black metal albums to listen to if we don't know the band name or the album? Certainly can't read the covers.

Yours is a gatefold? Mine is just a standard sleeve with 2LPs in it.

Firstly I got the cd version, secondly I'm not too familiar with the differences between a gatefold sleeve and a standard sleeve. My version is a single cardboard package, with the booklet and disc wedged between pieces of cardboad on either side. I hate it, getting the disc is troublesome and it looks cheap. What's wrong with a jewelcase or digipak?

What are the albums? How are we supposed to find obscure black metal albums to listen to if we don't know the band name or the album? Certainly can't read the covers.

Yeah, dont just post the album cover and nothing else. Please mention the artist and album, the genre and preferably a bit more (certain style within the genre or similar artists). As for Shining, I not too fond of their early albums. I adore IV and V, shame that afterwards it went downhill. Those were great pieces of strangely energetic depressive black metal. Its been a while since I listened to Weakling, but I think I liked it.

Kaladin

Who is looking forward to the new Motorhead album?

image002-1.jpg

1. ‘Heartbreaker’
2. ‘Coup de Grace’
3. ‘Lost Woman Blues’
4. ‘End Of Time’
5. ‘Do You Believe’
6. ‘Death Machine’
7. ‘Dust And Glass’
8. ‘Going To Mexico’
9. ‘Silence When You Speak To Me’
10. ‘Crying Shame’
11. ‘Queen Of The Damned’
12. ‘Knife’
13. ‘Keep Your Powder Dry’
14. ‘Paralyzed’

I always look forward to Motorhead, but they're never a favorite in any year. I guess I just know what to expect from them and it's a rocking good time but it never blows me away.

635139662039023918.jpg

Anyone else excited for the new Warbringer?

I feel with like every album they release the just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to check this out in Oct. Although I don't like the album art.

Anyone else excited for the new Warbringer?

I feel with like every album they release the just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to check this out in Oct. Although I don't like the album art.

I've never heard of this band, but I'll check 'em out. Thrash Metal is one of my all time favorite genres.

Here's a band an internet pal of mine recommended, if you enjoy Metal from the Drone perspective.

34090.gif

Bunkur-Bludgeon

I need some help with Doom Metal again, but this time, it comes down to one particular genre, which would be Funeral Doom, the bleakest of the bleak. I only have enough hours in the day, I wouldn't mind some consensus (although please try to describe their music in emotional terms as complex as you can, not just vague things like "they rock hard" or "these guys are brutal")

I need some help with Doom Metal again, but this time, it comes down to one particular genre, which would be Funeral Doom, the bleakest of the bleak. I only have enough hours in the day, I wouldn't mind some consensus (although please try to describe their music in emotional terms as complex as you can, not just vague things like "they rock hard" or "these guys are brutal")

Pantheist

old Paradise Lost - more on the verge of Doom/Death, but still pretty depressing sounding.

Melchiah

old Paradise Lost - more on the verge of Doom/Death, but still pretty depressing sounding.

I've been listening to their first album lately, and I still think it's their best work. Shame they changed their style after it. My favorite song from the album, Our Saviour

EDIT: A friend of mine just went to their gig, and told me they didn't play any of the songs from the first two albums, pretty much like Carcass regarding Reek of Putrefaction material, and Ulver with their early work, especially Nattens Madrigal. I find it odd, that some bands seem to be ashamed of their early material, or leave out the songs from the set that used to have growls/shrieks, when the singer has moved on to a cleaner style. Thumbs down from me.

I know it's not called doom metal but whatever.... It has everything you talked about. New Neurosis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCGctuclgTs Emotional, very slow-building and doomy.

I've been listening to Forest of Equlibrium for quite a while again. I have yet to find a more bleak and creepy album than that. Equilibrium So fucking good after all those years! I was 4 when the album was released.. "The only pleasuuuure is paaaaaaaaain"

Tiranny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il6JX5hkS1M
Evoken http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOuhnwXNsE

Edit: oh, I see you are already busy with Evoken. You will love Tiranny though

Blackheim

Has anybody posted that Falkenbach's coming out with a new album called Åsa in November? If it's anything like the Eweroun single then I think it's gonna be some good shit.

Don't think so, so thank you :) Not sold on that song yet but, will listen some more and see if it grows on me. It's not bad though and I dig Falkenbach a lot so I'll probably end up buying it anyway :p

New Gwar on Tuesday also! Local record store had a copy already and sold it to me, good stuff!

Madness at the Core of Time

Bloodbath

Stabat Mater
Asunder
Murkrat
The Slow Death

And the classics, in case you haven't heard them.
Thergothon
SKepticism
Worship

obin_gam

Ahab is a german band that does concept albums. They do deep dark vocals and very atmospheric oceanlike songs, but the kicker is that they also have beautifly agonizing clean vocals in some of their songs aswell.

Their first one is Call of the Wretched Sea which is about the legend of Moby Dick.
Songs from this I would recomend are: The Hunt (that intro man...) and The Pacific

Their second album The Divinity of Oceans is not as brutal, but instead way more beautiful in their songs. It is about the real life event that insipred the story of Moby Dick.
Songs from this that I would recomend are: Yet another raft of the Medusa (Pollards Weakness) (another one with a hauntinlgy beautiful intro and riff) and The Divinity of Oceans

I wouldnt bother with the third album The Giant, as I was thouroghly dissapointed by that :(

I should of probably mentioned that I love the likes of Ahab, at least their first one. It's the only album of theirs that I actually own, though. As far as all of the other bands, I have not got around to listening to their music, but I think my ears are going to be happy for quite a while now. Seriously, Funeral Doom is something else.

This has been one of my favorite funeral doom albums since it came out, "Despond" by Loss

Melchiah

Ahab is a german band that does concept albums. They do deep dark vocals and very atmospheric oceanlike songs, but the kicker is that they also have beautifly agonizing clean vocals in some of their songs aswell.

Their first one is Call of the Wretched Sea which is about the legend of Moby Dick.

Songs from this I would recomend are: The Hunt (that intro man...) and The Pacific

Love the eerie intro as well. Thanks for introducing that to me.

Their second album The Divinity of Oceans is not as brutal, but instead way more beautiful in their songs. It is about the real life event that insipred the story of Moby Dick.

I wouldnt bother with the third album The Giant, as I was thouroghly dissapointed by that :(

This is pretty damn amazing. I will have to hunt these down now.

obin_gam

Glad to be of service :)

I usually listen to Ahab whilst laying in the bathtub, with a glass of scotch and one simple candle struggeling in the darkness. I just let my mind drown in the nautical doom created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom