• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomshine

The Giant is a little different, but I wouldn't say I was disappointed. This is one of my favorites from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj3SrKb6WiM

I usually listen to Ahab whilst laying in the bathtub, with a glass of scotch and one simple candle struggeling in the darkness. I just let my mind drown in the nautical doom created.

I've actually been listening to Ahab as I go to sleep, works surprisingly well, either that or really late in the evening when it's dark.

Melchiah

lhnGqe9.jpg

I mostly agree with the list. Perhaps I would have changed Master's Hammer's Ritual to The Jilemnice Occultist, and included Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon instead of Bathory's The Return, as Under the Sign of the Black Mark is already on the list. Also, I think Hellhammer/Celtic Frost were more influential to the genre than Mercyful Fate.

lhnGqe9.jpg

I mostly agree with the list. Perhaps I would have changed Master's Hammer's Ritual to The Jilemnice Occultist, and included Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon instead of Bathory's The Return, as Under the Sign of the Black Mark is already on the list. Also, I think Hellhammer/Celtic Frost were more influential to the genre than Mercyful Fate.

Not a bad list. For me I would probably put In the Nightside Eclipse as No 1, personally. Also, I would probably replace one of the records here with Sacramentum's Far Away From the Sun.

Storm of the Lights Bane is another amazing pick. The atmosphere in that record is just fantastic.

Melchiah

Not a bad list. For me I would probably put In the Nightside Eclipse as No 1, personally. Also, I would probably replace one of the records here with Sacramentum's Far Away From the Sun.

Storm of the Lights Bane is another amazing pick. The atmosphere in that record is just fantastic.

I find the lack of Greek albums on the list disturbing. Necromantia's Crossing the Fiery Path and Rotting Christ's Thy Mighty Contract were unique and important milestones at the time.

EDIT: Bathory deserves the no. 1 spot, as they're the single most influential band for the BM culture.

I've never even heard of MasterHammer, and I've heard the rest of those albums multiple times, I feel left out :/

I'd include Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Morbid Tales on there, but overall 'tis a solid list.

Edit: Master's Hammer, my bad! Ugh I hate getting band names wrong.

lhnGqe9.jpg

good list. Mercyful Fate should still be on there, but I agree that Celtic Frost/Hellhammer needs a mention.

btw, I think i saw your Carcass Reek of Putrefaction insert pic on the Black Death Nostalgia page.

I'd include Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Morbid Tales on there, but overall 'tis a solid list.

oh yes definitely for the song Det Som Engang Var alone.

Ravager61

I saw Vader and Vital Remains play a show on Saturday. Vader headlined and played a good set but their sound wasn't the best and I'm unfamiliar with their 2 newest albums so it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. They only played 2 songs I really recognized.

Vital Remains blew me away though. Their current singer is a fucking maniac. The dude did a flip off the top of the 12ish foot PA into the crowd... twice. Not to mention there were probably only about 50 people there. They sounded quite good too. I'm not super familiar with their discography but I have been listening to them a lot since the show. I feel bad for never really giving them a chance until now.

This album is incredible folks. Definitely worth a listen.
Is it? I'm a pretty darn big Dream Theater fan (I've absolutely adored their past two albums in particular), but I have been completely underwhelmed by the two singles they have released. I will be perfectly content if I never hear "Along For The Ride" again.

Still, I'm real excited to listen to the stream later tonight. I'm hoping the rest of the album subverts my expectations.

So I'm thinking about getting a Guitar for Metal. For those who play Metal Guitar, what companies and makes do you think are the best for the genre?

I like Ibanez for the fast thrash type stuff, it's got a fast neck and feels compact. On the other hand I like Gibsons for that fat feeling sound, thicker necks which kinda slows down the playing.

I havent touched my guitar in years, but if I would have to stick with one brand it would be Gibson.

Watevaman

I'm a novice guitarist at best but back at the beginning of high school I bought an ESP Ltd F-400 and I loved it. Smooth as butter, EMG81 pickups, just felt so much better than my entry level Fender.

So I'm thinking about getting a Guitar for Metal. For those who play Metal Guitar, what companies and makes do you think are the best for the genre?

Ibanez is probably the most obvious choice, but Jackson, ESP, and Schecter all offer great guitars as well. As Giant Robot pointed out, Gibsons (and if you're starting out, you'd probably want to get an Epiphone as opposed to the full Gibson) are awesome too, they're slightly shorter and more stout and they're not as fast as something like like Ibanez Wizard II neck but they're a great choice for slower, doomier stuff. Just make sure that your guitar has:

-Humbucker pickups, not single coil (essential for metal)
-24 frets (not super essential but a lot of my favorite bands to play make use of the 23rd and 24th fret, many guitars will only have 22)
-A fixed tremolo (no whammy bar)-this is a personal preference thing but if you're starting out and like to cover various bands in various tunings, a whammy bar will either a) be a superfluous piece of shit that will go out of tune all the time and complicate things or b) be a quality tremolo like a Floyd Rose that won't go out of tune so easily but will be the biggest pain in the ass ever to change to a different tuning (it can take an hour and a fair share of broken strings the first time you try to tune a floyd rose). My most played electric guitar is a simple string-through body Schecter because it's just so damn simple and easy to tune to anything.

rObit

Banned

Depends on your budget.

I've had great metal guitars from Ibanez, Schecter, and Jackson. I've also heard good things about ESP.

If you want to talk specific models, I might be able to recommend something if you give a price range.

Or if you're rich as hell you can just get a Daemoness and I will hate you forever.

07KNyaO.jpg

Well I was actually considering a PRS, as it's the main guitar line that Opeth uses. both Mikael Akerfeldt and Fredrik Åkesson. Both actually have signature models, but they are SE. I know that SE are probably well made for the price, but should I just abandon the SE range and just get the regular PRS guitars despite the high price?

Well I was actually considering a PRS, as it's the main guitar line that Opeth uses. I know there are notable Guitar Players in Metal that use them, most notably Mikael Akerfeldt and Fredrik Åkesson from Opeth. Both actually have signature models, but they are SE. I know that SE are probably well made for the price, but should I just abandon the SE range and just get the regular PRS guitars despite the high price?

PRS's are awesome (and yeah I have a bias towards them because of both Opeth and BTBAM <3), I didn't suggest them because they aren't what I'd call entry level, but their Custom 24's are fantastic. I've never played the signatures but I've always wanted a Mikael Akerfeldt one since they've existed. If you have the cash and the dedication towards your playing, go for it; personally I'd say get a $200 used Ibanez, make sure you like guitar, and trade up after a while, but that's just me. Also, you might need to get the action adjusted too, I feel like PRS's tend to be set a little higher than a lot of "metal" guitars out there.

I am convinced that the Chainsaw guitar tone of Early Swedish Death Metal is one of the best ever in metal, period.

By the way, I have to ask you...are you a fan of Skinny Puppy.

Quackula

I actually had one of those HM2 pedals when I first started playing guitar. Hadn't really gotten deep into metal at that time (I was still obsessed with Metallica and whatnot). By the time I'd gotten into death metal and was aware of the swedeath sound I didn't have that pedal anymore.

Such a shame, oh well. I've got a VH140C now which gives me all the tone I need.

TheExodu5

Banned

Awesome read. Thanks.

Both bands have that smooth, relaxed jazzy sound which I just love, which I guess can be attributed in part to this guitar.

Speaking of which, does anyone know any bands (not necessarily metal) that have sounds similar to the solo in Opeth's Windowpane or the jazzy section in BTBAM's Selkies The Endless Obsession? I just absolutely love that sound and was hoping I could find more of it out there outside of these two bands.

Zero Hero

LOL that HM2 is a blast from the past. I think it was listed at the guitar store for $129 which is pretty hopeless for a high school kid with no money in 1991. I wanted it so bad. XD

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Don't know how they get their tone, but I'd shoot for a pure Electric Wizard sound!

In other news, I know I'm behind, but both the new Carcass and the new Gorguts are fucking amazing! \m/

I am convinced that the Chainsaw guitar tone of Early Swedish Death Metal is one of the best ever in metal, period.

By the way, I have to ask you...are you a fan of Skinny Puppy.

One of my friends recreated the sound pretty well by mixing a DOD Thrash Master and DOD Grunge pedal through a Marshall amp (forget which model). Those are easily attainable.

And no I am not a fan of Skinny Puppy.

One of my friends recreated the sound pretty well by mixing a DOD Thrash Master and DOD Grunge pedal through a Marshall amp (forget which model). Those are easily attainable.

And no I am not a fan of Skinny Puppy.

Dang, I thought you were a fan of Industrial, and that bands seems to be among the top of any list. Cool stuff though.

Is any body else here find Dethklok to be incredibly...well, bad?

Blackheim

New Death Angel track on their site. Still one of my favorite thrash bands.

"The Dream Calls for Blood"

http://www.deathangel.us/#!tdcfb/c6sm

Yeah, I dig Death Angel quite a bit, unfortunately that song didn't do anything for me. Even after multiple listens, I was left with a "meh" sensation, heh...

:(

Hopefully there are better songs on the album, not going to be a day one purchase unless I hear something more convincing.

EDIT: Speaking of Thrash, Flotsam And Jetsam are planning to re-record No Place For Disgrace in it's entirety. I'm of two minds about this but, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They are running a PledgeMusic campaign to try to get the funds to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom