• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a thread about it, there's a Coronor Documentary in the making. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679525

Love Coroner. I feel they are one of those bands that's severely underrated, yet one of the most respected bands. I'm more interested on the whole Celtic Frost/Tom G Warrior aspect leading up to the formation of Coroner in the documentary.

First 3 albums are pretty nuts, didn't care that much for the rest except for that first song off Mental Vortex.

one of their songs off the Death Cult demo is pretty nuts: Arrogance In Uniform.

3291.jpg

I still can't believe there are people who still haven't given this album a shot!

FACE

Banned
Dang, I thought you were a fan of Industrial, and that bands seems to be among the top of any list. Cool stuff though.

Is any body else here find Dethklok to be incredibly...well, bad?

Yes, Dethklok sucks.

Love Coroner. I feel they are one of those bands that's severely underrated, yet one of the most respected bands. I'm more interested on the whole Celtic Frost/Tom G Warrior aspect leading up to the formation of Coroner in the documentary.

First 3 albums are pretty nuts, didn't care that much for the rest except for that first song off Mental Vortex.

one of their songs off the Death Cult demo is pretty nuts: Arrogance In Uniform.

That song is really good, the version of Death Cult I have here only has 4 songs in it :\

Kaladin

Dethklok is fun metal....I wouldn't expect FACE to like that at all :)

On a serious note, they're not a great band but they do write fun songs and the show has a bit of charm to it that is appealing to me. They were awesome live that one time I saw them with Mastodon...of course, they did have Gene Fucking Hoglan on drums.

FACE

Banned

On a serious note, they're not a great band but they do write fun songs and the show has a bit of charm to it that is appealing to me. They were awesome live that one time I saw them with Mastodon...of course, they did have Gene Fucking Hoglan on drums.

You keep using that word...

3291.jpg

I still can't believe there are people who still haven't given this album a shot!

I think quite a few people here love Demolition Hammer. Those guys rule.

And I agree with Face that Dethklok sucks. Great musicians, but just not my sort of cheese.

Loving it so far. Didn't like the direction it was going on Conqueror and after. This seems to fit somewhere between Lifeline and Conqueror.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So, Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet) has started a kickstarter of a side-project called the Tourniquet Ark. I guess it has to kinda do with Ted's animal welfare work? Not exactly sure what differentiates it from Tourniquet proper, other than it not really involving the rest of the band.

Anyways, the project will most just be Ted doing all the work, but this who's signed up to provide guest work. This could be an interesting side-project.

Chris Poland (OHM, ex-Megadeth, ex-Damn the Machine) - guitar solo or two
Bruce Franklin (Trouble, Supershine) - guitar solo
Michael Sweet (Stryper, ex-Boston) - guitar solo, vocal solo
Ed Asner (actor known of roles like Carl Fredricksen in Pixar's Up) - Narration

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997006829/the-tourniquet-ark-onward-to-freedom-the-album

jmdajr

I think they are awesome. Perfect blend of stuff I like.

Murmaider is one of the best metal songs..pretty much ever.

any new trends in metal these days.

Last I heard it was Folk Metal...

the new trend are old bands doing reunion shows, which leads to reunion albums, which leads to reunion shows playing full albums front to back, then waiting for the next "Djent" or some shit.

Also, here's another question regarding Metal. Who the hell are Cradle of Filth and Dimmur Borgir? I know that a lot of people dislike them, but why?

For the record, I've heard of them but never bothered to check out their music.

jmdajr

Also, here's another question regarding Metal. Who the hell are Cradle of Filth and Dimmur Borgir? I know that a lot of people dislike them, but why?

They always gave them shit for not being Troo Black Metal bands and what not, although they looked the part.

It's just melodic death metal to me, and I think it's pretty darn great.

So Metallica has re-recorded Orion for the Through The Never soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPv6NdKp1ks

I kinda like it but man, Lars drumming is fucking everywhere.

Not bad, but it should really start with the bass, not drumming(I know, I'm picky). Also the opening bass didn't sound that consistent.

Its also good to hear that they can still master stuff properly.

Fake edit: Is this re-recorder or the live version? I think it's the live version.

Kaladin

Sirius XM started up a Mandatory Metallica channel to promote the movie, but sadly they're just playing the studio stuff. Metallica has a live recording library that rivals that of the Grateful Dead and should be used as extensively on the channel. As it is now, it's just the studio catalogue on shuffle with some promos at pre-programmed intervals. While that's not bad, I would prefer live stuff mixed in.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sirius XM started up a Mandatory Metallica channel to promote the movie, but sadly they're just playing the studio stuff. Metallica has a live recording library that rivals that of the Grateful Dead and should be used as extensively on the channel. As it is now, it's just the studio catalogue on shuffle with some promos at pre-programmed intervals. While that's not bad, I would prefer live stuff mixed in.

I would hope they at least mix some stuff from S&M in that.

they're called black metal, are not. but they're still better than actual black metal and that pisses all the frostbitten, grimdark kvlt nerds.

Kaladin

I can dig some Cradle of Filth. Dimmur Borgir? Not so much....

Regarding Cradle of Filth, wikipedia describes them as:

The band's musical style evolved from black metal to a cleaner and more "produced" amalgam of gothic metal, symphonic black metal and other extreme metal styles.

A lot of fans hate them for this evolution, and because they're kinda more of a trendy band. If you see a goth kid at school, they're probably into Cradle of Filth....or at least got one of their shirts from hot topic. It's still decent metal though, trendy or not.

fallout

Back in high school when I was heavy into Metallica, live bootlegs were about all I listened to.

jmdajr

I can dig some Cradle of Filth. Dimmur Borgir? Not so much....

Regarding Cradle of Filth, wikipedia describes them as:

A lot of fans hate them for this evolution, and because they're kinda more of a trendy band. If you see a goth kid at school, they're probably into Cradle of Filth....or at least got one of their shirts from hot topic. It's still decent metal though, trendy or not.

Trendy ? I guess. I don't know a single person who listens to them but me and like two Friends of mine.

Guess that's one of the funny things about metal. Getting all up on arms about trendy bands when the majority of people don't know who the fuck they are one way or another.

Anything overproduced doesn't bother me. I mean I listen to pop music. It's fine. I just have to like their songs in the end. There is room for everything.

Trendy ? I guess. I don't know a single person who listens to them but me and like two Friends of mine.

I think what he means is that Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are the "mainstream" bands on the extreme spectrum of metal. They know they don't write music and market themselves to say the trve grim frostbitten fans. They are more accessible and the "baby steps" into the extreme side.

I personally can't stand them because its way overemphasized on being symphonic, overproduced, and a manufactured entity from their labels.

jmdajr

I think what he means is that Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are the "mainstream" bands on the extreme spectrum of metal. They know they don't write music and market themselves to say the trve grim frostbitten fans. They are more accessible and the "baby steps" into the extreme side.

I personally can't stand them because its way overemphasized on being symphonic, overproduced, and a manufactured entity from their labels.

I guess. It's not like they are the Black Veil Brides or anything. But sure, I suppose it's not like say...Krisiun, Gorgoroth or something.

RayStorm

I personally can't stand them because its [...] a manufactured entity from their labels.

I might misunderstand, but are you insinuating that they are basically boy bands that were created by their respective labels with the purpose of selling as many records as possible?

jmdajr

I might misunderstand, but are you insinuating that they are basically boy bands that were created by their respective labels with the purpose of selling as many records as possible?

Obviously not true. Maybe Black Metal was becoming trendy at the time, but the band has always done their own thing. They didn't even like to be labeled that. (I think they had a bitch of time getting their music right back form their original label, maybe they never did)

I know some people hate the look and everything but they are performers. I have no issue with them presenting a stage show along with their music. It's all part of rock n roll man.

Not 100% manufactured like a boy band, but they found their audience, they found a formula, their labels liked how much they were selling for them, both ends stuck with it.

It's all too familiar when thrash metal bands were changing to keep up with "Grunge" or the whole Columbia/Earache Records disaster to commercialize death metal because labels wanted to sell more.

I know some people hate the look and everything but they are performances. I have no issue with them presenting a stage show along with their music. It's all part of rock n roll man.

I firmly believe this. There are stigmas behind every band/genre/styles.

jmdajr

Not 100% manufactured like a boy band, but they found their audience, they found a formula, their labels liked how much they were selling for them, both ends stuck with it.

It's all too familiar when thrash metal bands were changing to keep up with "Grunge" or the whole Columbia/Earache Records disaster to commercialize death metal because labels wanted to sell more.

Yup. Like Lady Gaga.

Anyhow Goth as trend doesn't even exist anymore does it?

I don't know who Cradle is selling music to these days, expect well.. their fans.

Kaladin

Yup. Like Lady Gaga.

Anyhow Goth as trend doesn't even exist anymore does it?

I don't know who Cradle is selling music to these days, expect well.. their fans.

I still see it around every now and then. I'm in a small college town. We catch and hold on to every trend longer than we need to.

FACE

Banned

i7r6RUnCEDycg.gif

jmdajr

Well I'm pretty sure Cradle of Filth writes their own music unlike most boy bands, but sure.... they got lucky to get in when goth/black metal was hot.

I'm sure they are pleased with their success along with their labels. What are they on these days?

ahhh. peaceville.

Kaladin

Well I'm pretty sure Cradle of Filth writes their own music unlike most boy bands, but sure.... they got lucky to get in when goth/black metal was hot.

I'm sure they are pleased with their success along with their labels. What are they on these days?

ahhh. peaceville.

They were Roadrunner when they were in their more trendy phase....and we all know about Roadrunner and trendy.

jmdajr

They were Roadrunner when they were in their more trendy phase....and we all know about Roadrunner and trendy.

LoL. Hell it was nice picking up those Sepultura albums off the shelf. Of course I guess we hate them too for influencing nu metal.

And Deicide. Fuck Deicide! Trendy Fucks. That was the beginning of the end really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom