• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayStorm

Not 100% manufactured like a boy band, but they found their audience, they found a formula, their labels liked how much they were selling for them, both ends stuck with it.

But isn't this what about 99.5% of all bands and musicians do? I don't see why Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth should be singled out as they apparently are.

They were Roadrunner when they were in their more trendy phase....and we all know about Roadrunner and trendy.

Roadrunner/RoadRacer were one of the best labels during their death metal/thrash metal days :(

Every label goes through it to survive, except maybe the trve kvlt labels.

But isn't this what about 99.5% of all bands and musicians do? I don't see why Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth should be singled out as they apparently are.

Yes and No. Every band will try and do what they want. Every label will try and force something upon a band. Darkthrone for example did a total 180 by alienating their death metal fans and did the whole 2nd wave of black metal stuff. They believed in something different and turned their backs, pissed off Peaceville and almost got the boot. Peaceville got lucky and rode the wave with them though, perfect timing.

Early Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir started out completed different, inaccessible by "mainstream" standards. They romanticized "black metal" and pissed off the early adopters of the 2nd wave of black metal. Kinda reminds me of the whole Metallica S/T album which almost alienated and divided early fans.

trve kvlt....you mean like Southern Lord?

Oh wait....

Actually their change from black metal to blackened hardcore has been good.

Southern Lord are kinda weird to me, but it seems like their change from the past couple of years has been working for them all without riding some existing trend, but rather creating/reviving it.
I was thinking trve kvlt labels like Deathlike Silence Productions, Full Moon, Drakkar, or some obscure South American black/thrash/death metal label that spread propaganda rather than raking in money.

jmdajr

Fuck these days who really takes chances. I mean look at Queen, they did fucking everything. Now that's impressive if you think about it.

It's tough to change in metal.

Might seem ridiculous, but there is probbaly Cannibal Corpse fans upset that the band has changed too much from it's roots. (and granted I do think they are much better!)

Kaladin

Roadrunner/RoadRacer were one of the best labels during their death metal/thrash metal days :(

Every label goes through it to survive, except maybe the trve kvlt labels.

Oh wait....

FACE

Banned
AdAAi.jpg

That's brilliant.

Damn, Metallica's Through the Never live CD is pretty awesome. Hearing "motherfucker die" during the "Die, by my hand" portion of Creeping Death was a pleasant shocker. I always loved that from the Live Shit Mexico City performance.

Did anyone post this One clip from Through the Never? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUACOixqfAY

But no No Remorse or Seek and Destroy is kinda disappointing. I would expect one of those over Hit the Lights.

Kaladin

Metallica knit sweaters "The Sweater That Should Not Be"

1236385_10151622506930264_2926537_n.jpg

When do they cross over into KISS territory of merchandising?

Also....

2h.jpg

how old are you guys listening to metallica, and how long have you been fans of the genre?

srs question?

I'm 22, and I've been listening Metallica since I was around 13-14. I'm younger than a lot of metal fans, but I was lucky enough to meet plenty of people who were grown up on Old School Thrash and Death Metal. Quite frankly, my taste is more Old School, and I honestly am not that impressed with most of the Metal music of today, especially with the rise of Deathcore which is shit.

Yes, I still listen to Metallica first four albums, with Ride the Lightning still being my favorite.

Honestly, while I'm all for metal that pushes the boundaries of aggression, ugliness and darkness, I've never been impressed by the people who use any sort of metal music with the intention of image before music. Listening to that type of music because it genuinely has an emotional impact on you due to its aggression and sheer insanity? Yes. But Heavy Metal is still not an ego booster, and you should listen to it because you love it and it means a lot to you personally.

FACE

Banned
Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Well I feel stupid. I have failed miserably.

Thanks!

FYC

Banned
how old are you guys listening to metallica, and how long have you been fans of the genre?

srs question?

19, got into Metallica with Ride The Lightning around 14. I had always liked metal, but before Metallica I was a much more casual listener with only a handful of metal albums

Kaladin

srs question?

32....Metallica was one of my gateway bands. Been listening since I was 12 or so sometime after the black album released.

Damn, Metallica's Through the Never live CD is pretty awesome. Hearing "motherfucker die" during the "Die, by my hand" portion of Creeping Death was a pleasant shocker. I always loved that from the Live Shit Mexico City performance.

Did anyone post this One clip from Through the Never? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUACOixqfAY

But no No Remorse or Seek and Destroy is kinda disappointing. I would expect one of those over Hit the Lights.

Finally got around to it....was wondering what it would be like vs the soundboard recordings and damn. They mixed this album right. It's fucking awesome. You can hear all the instruments perfect, the crowd is a perfect mix on a live album for me....yeah...gonna be getting this one.

Has any body ever had a strange dream pertaining to Metal? Quite frankly, I did. It involves me being stalked by a bum that was like a cross between Varg Vikernes and Rasputin.

Flynn

Oh wait....

So, this thread did me a solid when it came to schooling me on old school death metal -- has helped a lot in getting my ear tuned to the genre.

Would love some suggestions for hardcore -- since there's a pretty huge movement right now and I have a hard time connecting with a lot of it. Converge is my biggest blind spot -- so I'm thinking I need to go back and figure out the timeline and kind of figure out where this whole hardcore/metal thing started and go from there. Makes sense?

TLDR: I don't get hardcore (the new stuff, I get Black Flag just fine). Teach me.

So, this thread did me a solid when it came to schooling me on old school death metal -- has helped a lot in getting my ear tuned to the genre.

Would love some suggestions for hardcore -- since there's a pretty huge movement right now and I have a hard time connecting with a lot of it. Converge is my biggest blind spot -- so I'm thinking I need to go back and figure out the timeline and kind of figure out where this whole hardcore/metal thing started and go from there. Makes sense?

TLDR: I don't get hardcore (the new stuff, I get Black Flag just fine). Teach me.

I'm a bit biased towards the early-mid 90s Hardcore/Powerviolence/Punk/Crust stuff, so i'll recommend something different from the Metal/Hardcore stuff: Capitalist Casualties, Man Is The Bastard, Dystopia, Spazz, Noothgrush, Enemy Soil.

I'm sure someone will recommend Zao, Murder City Devils, Martyr A.D., Poison The Well, The Locust, etc. Those bands were huge in the early 2000's, but have no idea where they are now or how it evolved.

Flynn

I'm a bit biased towards the early-mid 90s Hardcore/Powerviolence/Punk/Crust stuff, so i'll recommend something different from the Metal/Hardcore stuff: Capitalist Casualties, Man Is The Bastard, Dystopia, Spazz, Noothgrush, Enemy Soil.

I'm sure someone will recommend Zao, Murder City Devils, Martyr A.D., Poison The Well, The Locust, etc. Those bands were huge in the early 2000's, but have no idea where they are now or how it evolved.

AWESOME.

Nopren

I'm guessing you've already been around Sick of It All, Madball, Terror and those old NYHC farts. If metallic hardcore is your thing, then Unearth and First Blood is fucking awesome. There is also this really good youthcrew band called The Geeks.
And for just a rollicking good brutal time, try to listen to the two "This Comp Kills Fascists"-compilations put out by Relapse records. Lots of good new bands on those. You can stream the first one here:
This Comp Kills Fascists, Vol. 1

Flynn

I'm guessing you've already been around Sick of It All, Madball, Terror and those old NYHC farts. If metallic hardcore is your thing, then Unearth and First Blood is fucking awesome. There is also this really good youthcrew band called The Geeks.
And for just a rollicking good brutal time, try to listen to the two "This Comp Kills Fascists"-compilations put out by Relapse records. Lots of good new bands on those. You can stream the first one here:
This Comp Kills Fascists, Vol. 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen that comp once or twice will listen for sure now.

I been into Black Breath lately. Amazing blend of hardcore and blackened thrash, and a breakdown that doesn't want me to make me gouge my eyes out.

srs question?
Saw Metallica again back in Feb. Probably the most boring and by the numbers "thrash" gig I ever went to.

Kaladin

I'm more of a fan of crossover thrash stuff.

Municipal Waste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLY4Rpii7bM

Terror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RS_DaT3gIc

Power Trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RttNBc_dcRs

I need the riffs for me to get into hardcore. Stuff like Converge is too much noise for me.

Also, if you want a good label to sample stuff from, check out Deathwish, Inc. It's Converge's label and they're mostly hardcore acts. I don't always dig their bands but I always check them out. Southern Lord is getting pretty good at picking up dark hardcore acts too. For me though, I need thrashy riffs and I usually need songs with substance. I'm not a fan of songs less than a minute long....it feels like I start thrashing and it's over before I can get into it.

Blackheim

srs question?

I am 37, still listen to them. KEA -> AJFA only though these days. I don't know the exact year I started listening to Thrash but, for certain it has been at least 20 years,

Vio-Lence

Banned
I only asked to see how long or recent anyone's connection to the gateway drug of metal is/was.

For reference I'm 32 and have been listening to metal for approximately 20 years now.

I have some fond memories growing up with Metallica but its not something I've been interested in for well over a decade. First concert i attended was Metallica, Danzig, and suicidal tendencies in 93 I believe.

Kaladin

In honor of National Talk Like A Pirate Day.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggyC0FOzqHM

I only asked to see how long or recent anyone's connection to the gateway drug of metal is/was.

For reference I'm 32 and have been listening to metal for approximately 20 years now.

I have some fond memories growing up with Metallica but its not something I've been interested in for well over a decade. First concert i attended was Metallica, Danzig, and suicidal tendencies in 93 I believe.

Same here....Metallica is more about nostalgia than anything else. I still look forward to new stuff, but their output is so few and far between. That's a good first concert too. I think mine was Bob Dylan and one of the swing bands that was big in the 90s.

fallout

srs question?
29 now. Started listening when I was about 12. A buddy's older cousin gave me a mixed tape with Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, etc. I think Fade to Black was the first song that really got me into metal.

For what it's worth, "listening to Metallica" for me means throwing on an album every now and then (like, I listened to Ride the Lightning a few months back for the first time in probably a year). I listen to other bands now far more than Metallica. Although, most of my listening habits are defined by whatever hook I'm on, interspersed by whatever else I feel like. If anything, I still don't think I diverge enough from my "go-to" albums, but it's hard when you're flipping through your music and seeing stuff you love.

E.g., yesterday I listened to Windhand's new album a couple times, but then felt like listening to some BTBAM in the middle of that and then later Skeletonwitch.

srs question?

Early 30s, been a fan of metal since summer of 1990. Cowboys From Hell was my introduction.

I should probably also point out that I'm a casual listener of Metallica now. In the 90s I was more into them for their guitar riffs and leads on the older albums. I spent a lot of hours learning a good portion of their collection on guitar. Metallica was one of the first four metal bands I really got into though; along with Pantera, Slayer, and MegaDeth

Kaladin

What were the bands that got you into metal? Your gateway bands?

For me....

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Pantera
White Zombie

Yeah...I'm a product of the early 90s.

Watevaman

Metallica really was my gateway band. I don't even remember how I got into Blind Guardian but they also got me into the "less" mainstream side of metal as well.

Nopren

Punk bands like Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys and Goldfinger got me into heavy music, but my friends all listened alot to Soilwork, so got into metal from that.

Melchiah

srs question?

I'm 38, and I used to listen to them back in the late 80's, but after that and the Black album I lost interest. Blackened still remains my favorite song of theirs.

I'm around the same age. The first metal song I can remember was Iron Maiden "Run To The Hills" and kept singing it at age 5-6. I was lucky enough to have an older brother (15 years older than me) so he was already deep into all that stuff. I remember fondly the day he got Master Of Puppets in 1986 because that day I went with him to buy that album at Tower Records and I stepped into dog shit and got it all over his new car.

I would say my gateway band is Iron Maiden since it was my first exposure to metal and that I'm still a huge fan of them. I still listen to Metallica's first 3 albums from time to time, but I do not consider them a gateway band for me since I was already exposed to Exodus, Megadeth, Overkill, etc around the same time.

FACE

Banned
I'm around the same age. The first metal song I can remember was Iron Maiden "Run To The Hills" and kept singing it at age 5-6. I was lucky enough to have an older brother (15 years older than me) so he was already deep into all that stuff. I remember fondly the day he got Master Of Puppets in 1986 because that dayI went with him to buy that album at Tower Records and I stepped into dog shit and got it all over his new car.

I would say my gateway band is Iron Maiden since it was my first exposure to metal and that I'm still a huge fan of them. I still listen to Metallica's first 3 albums from time to time, but I do not consider them a gateway band for me since I was already exposed to Exodus, Megadeth, Overkill, etc around the same time.

Probably didn't stink up the car as much as MoP did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom