• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
The Shit That Should Not Be

o4Zw4.gif

Melchiah

What were the bands that got you into metal? Your gateway bands?

For me....

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Pantera
White Zombie

Yeah...I'm a product of the early 90s.

Kiss, WASP and Twisted Sister, early 80's. I still listen to the first album of WASP from time to time.

jmdajr

For me....

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Pantera
White Zombie

Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Skid Row...
(so mid 80s on basically)

then transition to Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden

and so on...

Kaladin

October 29th is a big day for metal releases. Corrections House, Skeletonwitch, Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer.....there may be more I forgot.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
anybody here listen to hardcore punk?

Some yeah. Been slowly branching into it, mainly through smaller touring or local bands that I see live or whatnot, so I'm not too versed in it. I recently saw Touche Amore live and apparently their new/upcoming album is pretty good, so I'll be checking that out.

For me....

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Pantera
White Zombie

It was definitely Metallica. I'm hesitant to call them gateway because I still love their music, but that was the first band I listened to. I never really cared much beyond that. I got acquainted with bands like Slayer and Cannibal Corpse (though I think the latter sucks overall), and that was pretty much it.

I never bothered with bands like Lamb of God and most of the Deathcore garbage. I went straight for the source. Hell, I was listening to Gorguts Obscura when I was 15 and that counted as one of my first Extreme Metal albums. I was an early adaptor, hah.

nightwish ^^

think it was the wishmaster album

I love Nightwish.

I'm an old Metallica fan that left the fold around the time of Load -- starting to leave after the single heavy Black Album. For my money, the best metal out there is some of the stuff on Relapse and Hydra Head -- Horseback, Old Man Gloom, Boris, ect. There is still some good metal out there - it has just gone into obscure indie status, where arguably it should stay. Mainstream metal is a slow death for bands -- look at what happened to Metallica...

That being said, Metallica live is one of the best things ever, even though the newer stuff can't hang with the older stuff, they at least have perfected every early track they had ever done ---

My gateway band was sabbath, followed closely by Iron Maiden and metallica.

22, been listening to metal for... 7 or 8 years I guess? Never actually had a metalcore-heavy phase like most people my age. Only bit was avenged sevenfold.

brinstar

What were the bands that got you into metal? Your gateway bands?.

I'm black, so I mostly grew up around hip hop culture, but oddly Queen is what got me into guitar music ahah. From there, Iron Maiden and from there I kept chasing more intense and faster stuff which led me to Napalm Death and Carcass and other early Earache stuff which I became obsessed with. I remember for a long time my friend and I would just find the most ridiculous bands and try to one-up one another. These days I'm into all kinds of music, but back then I was a fiend for metal, grindcore and hardcore punk

Apocalyptica and Stemage (dude doing metal cover of Metroid songs). Bit later Rammstein and System of a Down, followed by the Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, the usual suspects.

Metal Rules.com Top Metal Albums: 1990-2000

man, I own almost all of those.. (22 out of 30)

Terrible list

Hyper bole aside, definitely not my choice. Out of those, I would only put Necrotism in my top 90s albums. Well maybe Human as well. It's severely lacking black metal for my tastes.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So, this thread did me a solid when it came to schooling me on old school death metal -- has helped a lot in getting my ear tuned to the genre.

Would love some suggestions for hardcore -- since there's a pretty huge movement right now and I have a hard time connecting with a lot of it. Converge is my biggest blind spot -- so I'm thinking I need to go back and figure out the timeline and kind of figure out where this whole hardcore/metal thing started and go from there. Makes sense?

TLDR: I don't get hardcore (the new stuff, I get Black Flag just fine). Teach me.
I could totally go overboard and post an obnoxious number of bands, but I'll just go with one: listen to Majority Rule. One of the most underrated, under-appreciated bands that I can recall in my lifetime. They only released two albums (and a split LP with pg.99), both of which were a masterful blend of scathing/brooding hardcore/metal with the slightest touch of post-rock. I've never heard anything else quite like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUGGuxnsCmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ug0f9BJRwI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKQxPzRYGoU

As for the topic at hand, I'm 30 and have literally never given a shit about Metallica; I don't quite know why, just never cared about/for them. I got into metal when I was 11 via Pantera, Sepultura, Fear Factory, Slayer and Life of Agony (really just the first album).

RayStorm

I find it hard to list bands, that got me into metal. I always had the inclination to listen to hard rock and heavy metal long before I knew what a band was.

But I can list 4 Albums I got teary eyed when I first listened to them... in order:
Kiss - Alive 3
Gamma Ray - Somewhere out in Space
Borknagar - Quintessence
Krisiun - Conquerors of Armageddon.

Alive 3 was one of the first 4 CDs I bought, coinciding with the purchase of the first CD player in our household in early 1994/late 93.
Somewhere out in Space I randomly stumbled upon while browsing through the "Hard'n Heavy"-section at the local Media Markt. I liked the cover and the sound... I guess, the shout outs to Blind Guardian and Helloween and others in the booklet accelerated my knowledge a bit. Mind you in between I had already bought some randomly selected albums of the very well known bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Also about the same time the Internet and buying magazines happened, so there was a lot of new input at once after that. Thus and due my strong preference for melodic and clean sound Borknagar and especially Krisiun did not have quite the same impact on me.

Jordoon

And another. I don't think anyone has posted anything about Griseus yet. It's a pretty interesting black metal album with neo-classical elements, and I believe it's only one guy who made it. I would recommend listening to the whole album all at once to get the full effect of it.

Griseus - Aquilus

FACE

Banned
Yup! Minor Threat, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Descendants, Misfits, Dead Kennedys; all rule. Can't forget bands like Fugazi, either!

Any body else a fan of these guys?

61rKTHKSKrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

SCARS! SCARS! SCARS OF AN ANCIENT WOUND!

I'd kill someone for a proper released version of Destruction System.

Kaladin

Yup! Minor Threat, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Descendants, Misfits, Dead Kennedys; all rule. Can't forget bands like Fugazi, either!

One of my favorite underground country singers is a metal head and he does Misfits and Danzig covers as part of his set. I request Last Caress every time I see it because A) he's got the voice to do it justice and B) it's fucking hilarious hearing an acoustic country version of that song.

Here's a video if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiEGh6xME

and also one of him doing Danzig's I'm The One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHSEZBCW-c

The first clip from the new live Alestorm DVD is out! And it's pretty hilarious, unintentionally so.

Yeah, this is probably a group that should not be doing a DVD release :p Still, my first metal concert ever was Alestorm and Tyr, so I'll at least give it a watch for the nostalgia factor.

I did it! I finally ranked my favorite Metal albums in order! Top 20! List is subject to change without notice at all.

20. The Jester Race by In Flames
19. Agalloch's The Mantle
18. Whisper Supremacy by Crytopsy
17. Ride the Lightning by Metallica
16. Pleasure to Kill by Kreator
15. Darkness Descends by Dark Angel
14. Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel
13. Focus by Cynic
12. Crimson by Edge of Sanity
11. Storm of the Lights Bane by Dissection
10. Obscura by Gorguts
9. Remission by Mastodon
8. Eternal Nightmare by Vio-Lence
7. Symbolic by Death
6. In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor
5. The Sound of Perseverance by Death
4. Effigy of the Forgotten by Suffocation
3. Chaosphere Reloaded by Meshuggah
2. Unquestionable Presence by Atheist
1. Blackwater Park: Legacy Edition by Opeth

So, can you make a top 20, in order? At the very least, I'll get some sweet recommendations!

you really like lists, don't you?

How many lists have I made on this board? I was waiting to ask this question for a LONG time, and not just on Metal-GAF, either. Frankly, I never even had a list to actually, you know, ask the question until today.

You really want to know why I'm fond of asking other Metal fans about their favorites? I always enjoy swapping favorites with others, simply because it's one of the reasons why I've discovered so many great albums over the years. How can any body argue with that method?

How many lists have I made on this board? I was waiting to ask this question for a LONG time, and not just on Metal-GAF, either. Frankly, I never even had a list to actually, you know, ask the question until today, finally.

Nah, I always enjoy swapping favorites with others, simply because it's one of the reasons why I've discovered so many great albums over the years. How can any body argue with that method?

it is a good method.

i can't list 20 top albums. songs maybe.

top one would be Manowar - Into Glory Ride.

it is a good method.

i can't list 20 top albums. songs maybe.

top one would be Manowar - Into Glory Ride.

Well, if you can't make a top 20 list, don't worry about it. I can see why a lot of people would struggle to even make an ordered list. I would say that lists can also fluctuate based on what "mood" you are in for music, so to speak.

Frankly, I've never been able to make a top 20 Metal songs. Franky, any time somebody tries to list my favorite songs of all time, I flat out refuse to think of an answer. Needless to say, I've probably heard too many songs to even name favorites, and I'm pretty lax with rating music any way. That's why most of the iTunes is flooded with Five star Ratings for tons of songs (and my music collection is pretty vast).

FYC

Banned
Well my list will probably change all the time, but here's something.

20. Queensryche - Empire
19. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
18. Edge of Sanity - Crimson
17. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
16. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
15. Suffocation - Pierced From Within
14. Death Angel - The Ultraviolence
13. Anacrusis - Manic Impressions
12. Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
11. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
10. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
9. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
8. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
7. Death - Symbolic
6. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
5. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
4. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
3. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
2. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
1. Anthrax - Among The Living

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
And another. I don't think anyone has posted anything about Griseus yet. It's a pretty interesting black metal album with neo-classical elements, and I believe it's only one guy who made it. I would recommend listening to the whole album all at once to get the full effect of it.

Griseus - Aquilus

moar plz

SoulPlaya

more money than God
One of my favorite underground country singers is a metal head and he does Misfits and Danzig covers as part of his set. I request Last Caress every time I see it because A) he's got the voice to do it justice and B) it's fucking hilarious hearing an acoustic country version of that song.

Here's a video if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiEGh6xME

and also one of him doing Danzig's I'm The One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHSEZBCW-c
Hey Sand, do you have any other recommendations of music similar to James Hunnicutt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom