• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea. Why did you automatically assume I liked Converge? My reciprocal assumption was that you only said that in order to belittle the sort of metalcore I do like, you knowing full well that 'original' metalcore is perfectly acceptable to listen to.

I've been around a while man. I know how this usually goes. If that's not what you were doing, I genuinely apologize. :(

No, it wasn't at all. Converge is known for being among the best Metalcore bands in existence, and I'm familiar with their music for one. If one were to talk about Metalcore, I would naturally bring them up considering that I've listened to Jane Doe almost too many times to count. Aside from that, there's also We Are the Romans.

I used to hate almost all sorts of Metal aside from "insert Extreme Metal band", but that was seven years ago. Now, I find myself more disillusioned with Metal in general, which pretty comes from every single subculture that it spawns due to the hostility that plagues everything. Also, I find your comment about cheesy metal to be genuinely funny, although it sort of make me sad that so many Heavy Metal subcultures hate each other and end up being disrespectful to one another.

If you want my honest opinion about Metalcore, I tried listening to it (l loved the aforementioned band to death in High School, and I still think it's awesome), but none of the music does it for me. But to further burn bridges against what else, I've tried listening to tons of Power Metal, and I'm not a fan of that genre either. But if we are being serious here, my opinion on the genre would be simply that it doesn't do much for me. I feel the same way about, say, Iron and Wine (and I'm actually a big fan of Indie Folk) . Doesn't mean its terrible.

But yeah, I love Converge any way, and I've been down with Dillinger since High School. Aside from that, I'm a pretty big fan of We are the Romans by Botch. If you enjoy hardcore, you need to give that album a shot already if you haven't.

FACE

Banned
Me too, but its still a good release in crude form. It's basically Spectrum of Death part 2.

I googled a bit and it seems that they've released a compilation with Spectrum of Death, a remastered version of Destruction System and some new stuff. Not as good as re-recording it with SoD's production, but I'll take what I can get.

I was there, damn awesome, and also I found out I've been a Slayer fan for a long time without knowing.

And Helloween and Sepultura to boot? it was a pretty awesome night.

Sepultura did two shows and they've played a grand total of one good song, I didn't expect anything and was still disappointed.

Did you see Destruction's show? It was pretty good from what I can tell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Ei8GiLAPI

jmdajr

No, it wasn't at all. Converge is known for being among the best Metalcore bands in existence, and I'm familiar with their music for one. If one were to talk about Metalcore, I would naturally bring them up considering that I've listened to Jane Doe almost too many times to count. Aside from that, there's also We Are the Romans.

I used to hate almost all sorts of Metal aside from "insert Extreme Metal band". Now, I find myself more disillusioned with Metal in general, which pretty comes from every single subculture that it spawns due to the hostility that plagues everything. Also, I find your comment about cheesy metal to be genuinely funny, although it sort of make me sad that so many Heavy Metal subcultures hate each other and end up being disrespectful to one another.

If you want my honest opinion about Metalcore, I tried listening to it (l loved the aforementioned band to death in High School, and I still think it's awesome), but none of the music does it for me. But to further burn bridges against what else, I've tried listening to tons of Power Metal, and I'm not a fan of that genre either. But if we are being serious here, my opinion on the genre would be simply that it doesn't do much for me. I feel the same way about, say, Iron and Wine (and I'm actually a big fan of Indie Folk) . Doesn't mean its terrible.

But yeah, I love Converge any way, and I've been down with Dillinger since High School. Aside from that, I'm a pretty big fan of We are the Romans by Botch. If you enjoy hardcore, you need to give that album a shot already if you haven't.

Seems everything labeled cheesy in metal is always my favorite. Cock rock, power metal, and I guess stuff like Cradle too. Maybe it's just my happy go lucky personality.
I don't know.

Seems everything labeled cheesy in metal is always my favorite. Cock rock, power metal, and I guess stuff like Cradle too. Maybe it's just my happy go lucky personality.
I don't know.

If it makes you feel better, here are two of my favorite movies.

220px-Singing_in_the_rain_poster.jpg

Sound_of_music.jpg

For the record, I don't really find Power Metal cheesy. For me, I would say that I enjoy Blind Guardian the most.

mantidor

I googled a bit and it seems that they've released a compilation with Spectrum of Death, a remastered version of Destruction System and some new stuff. Not as good as re-recording it with SoD's production, but I'll take what I can get.

Sepultura did two shows and they've played a grand total of one good song, I didn't expect anything and was still disappointed.

Did you see Destruction's show? It was pretty good from what I can tell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Ei8GiLAPI

urgh I was late, I really wanted to see it.

Sepultura was the weakest no doubt, the sound didn't help on top of it.

jmdajr

Heard of them, but I'll give them a shot. Genres like Metalcore, Power, and Groove I still listen to so I can "get it", but it still doesn't work for me. Frustrating, right?

If you can't, you can't. That's just how it goes. I just try not to poo poo anything.

Hell I went through the whole "metal is the only good music " thing for awhile.

Total over it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So much hostility today. C'mon guys.

This happens from time to time in this thread, despite other's frequent attempts to keep things civil.

We all come to this thread because we love metal. Who cares if someone likes Hatebreed and Korn, while others like Sleep or Burzum? It's music, and it's heavy (generally), and it's metal (arguably)! Expressing your dislike for a band is one thing, shitting on what others like because you don't is entirely another. We have plenty of threads all over GAF for that nonsense.

In other news, INSOMNIUM's EP "Ephemeral" is amazing. I really loved their last full length, and, while short, the EP is definitely worth picking up.

Currently I'm listening to The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite (I sometimes wonders how people can come up with such weird titles). Death/doomy black metal, in hindsight a superb album ( I didn't like it that much in 2009). It reminds me a bit of Aeternus, the sounds of the guitars and the vocals, though Ruins is more oriented towards atmosphere. A creepy atmosphere that is, though it feels warmer than Unlock the Shrine. That felt like damp castle ruins, where dark things lurk. Apparently his next album is more death/doom oriented, I can't wait. Anyone know more albums like this?

http://youtu.be/Szc5YievPPw

And I want to know what you guys think of the following albums. I haven't listened to any of them, Carcass is high on my list after all these years. I read that !T.O.O.H.! made a radical shift with their (final) release and that some really lament that. I'm kind of hesitant to try it out, as I adore Rad A Trest and hoped they could produce a similar gem.

!T.O.O.H.! - Democratic Solution
Watain - The Wild Hunt (I recall that people here seemed to like it? How does it differ from the last two?)
Ulcerate - Vermis (I quite like Everyhting is Fire and Destroyers of All, but I do think they are a bit similar)
Jesu - Every Day I Get Closer to the Light From Which I Came (Is this any good? I love the self titled, and dig Heartache & Silver, but the rest not)

So much hostility today. C'mon guys.

This thread would be much better if people would just ignore FACEs "this sucks" comments :)

Currently I'm listening to The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite (I sometimes wonders how people can come up with such weird titles). Death/doomy black metal, in hindsight a superb album ( I didn't like it that much in 2009). It reminds me a bit of Aeternus, the sounds of the guitars and the vocals, though Ruins is more oriented towards atmosphere. A creepy atmosphere that is, though it feels warmer than Unlock the Shrine. That felt like damp castle ruins, where dark things lurk. Apparently his next album is more death/doom oriented, I can't wait. Anyone know more albums like this?

Whoa, these albums are interesting. I'll give em a shot.

Ravager61

I love that album a lot. The Ruins of Beverast actually have a new album coming out and it is streaming here. It's pretty fucking good.

Currently I'm listening to The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite (I sometimes wonders how people can come up with such weird titles). Death/doomy black metal, in hindsight a superb album ( I didn't like it that much in 2009). It reminds me a bit of Aeternus, the sounds of the guitars and the vocals, though Ruins is more oriented towards atmosphere. A creepy atmosphere that is, though it feels warmer than Unlock the Shrine. That felt like damp castle ruins, where darker things lurk. Apparently his next album is more death/doom oriented, I can't wait. Anyone know more albums like this?

http://youtu.be/Szc5YievPPw

And I want to know what you guys think of the following albums. I haven't listened to any of them, Carcass is high on my list after all these years. I read that !T.O.O.H.! made a radical shift with their (final) release and that some really lament that. I'm kind of hesitant to try it out, as I adore Rad A Trest and hoped they could produce a similar gem.

!T.O.O.H.! - Democratic Solution
Watain - The Wild Hunt (I recall that people here seemed to like it? How does it differ from the last two?)
Ulcerate - Vermis (I quite like Everyhting is Fire and Destroyers of All, but I do think they are a bit similar)
Jesu - Every Day I Get Closer to the Light From Which I Came (Is this any good? I love the self titled, and dig Heartache & Silver, but the rest not)

This thread would be much better if people would just ignore FACEs "this sucks" comments :)
I posted a link to that album several pages back, but got ignored as everyone got caught up in another opeth discussion :(.

The Blood vaults track kicks all sorts of ass.

Oh yea. Booked in my flights and tix to hellfest next year. Looks like illwbe catching emperor and a bunch of other black metal bands that never visit Australia. Hyped as shit.

Any other folks in here listen to Nightwish regularly, or enjoy their stuff? Been listening to them quite a bit, and while I'm not really all that well versed in Symphonic Metal in comparison to Death and Thrash, I think they're pretty damn good. I know they are not the heaviest or "br00tal" band in metal, but considering that the main focus is on their vocalists and heavy Symphonic influences, I would say they do a great job with blending symphonic elements with Heavy Metal. It doesn't hurt that Tuomas Holopainen has been studying music theory since he was a child (think he has a Masters in it or something), because his compositional skills are excellent, to be honest.

I also love the fact that they put a big emphasis on complimenting Tarja and Annette's vocals, and she's often in the center (as she should be). Having said that, I think that they only fall flat when they try to write completely guitar based passages, as they really aren't a fully guitar based band. But yeah, I like them a lot.

mantidor

Any other folks in here listen to Nightwish regularly, or enjoy their stuff? Been listening to them quite a bit, and while I'm not really all that well versed in Symphonic Metal in comparison to Death and Thrash, I think they're pretty damn good. I know they are not the heaviest or "br00tal" band in metal, but considering that the main focus is on their vocalists and heavy Symphonic influences, I would say they do a great job with blending symphonic elements with Heavy Metal. It doesn't hurt that Tuomas Holopainen has been studying music theory since he was a child (think he has a Masters in it or something), because his compositional skills are excellent, to be honest.

I also love the fact that they put a big emphasis on complimenting Tarja and Annette's vocals, and she's often in the center (as she should be). Having said that, I think that they only fall flat when they try to write completely guitar based passages, as they really aren't a fully guitar based band. But yeah, I like them a lot.

I just couldn't go back to them after Tarja left, the original sound is completely lost for me.

You should check of course Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, or Epica. Front Woman operatic Metal is hit or miss for me, but when it's a hit it's a hit for sure.

I just couldn't go back to them after Tarja left, the original sound is completely lost for me.

You should check of course Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, or Epica. Front Woman operatic Metal is hit or miss for me, but when it's a hit it's a hit for sure.

Out of all of those, I've listened to Lacuna Coil but I couldn't get into them. I've heard a lot about Epica and Within Temptation, as those are the two bands that come up alongside Nightwish, and I know I need to give them a shot. There is just something about the genre that draws me to it.

Yeah, it can be pretty cheesy and theatrical, but I am a theater geek, after all. Sometimes, unsubtle bombastic art is not a bad thing.

rObit

Banned
In other news, INSOMNIUM's EP "Ephemeral" is amazing. I really loved their last full length, and, while short, the EP is definitely worth picking up.

I tried looking around for it, but it seems like it's only available in Germany or something? The music video links to the German Itunes store and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Their website also says it will be available digitally in Europe November 23rd with no mention for the U.S. Seems like an odd release.

I really like the title track that they put on Youtube, though.

Out of all of those, I've listened to Lacuna Coil but I couldn't get into them. I've heard a lot about Epica and Within Temptation, as those are the two bands that come up alongside Nightwish, and I know I need to give them a shot. There is just something about the genre that draws me to it.

Yeah, it can be pretty cheesy and theatrical, but I am a theater geek, after all. Sometimes, unsubtle bombastic art is not a bad thing.

I saw Epica live once and really couldn't get into it because the front woman was trying to play into some weird wish fulfillment fantasy or something. It was really weird. At one point she actually said "You never know, you might be in the band one day!" and winked, there was just something super skeevy about it.

Within Temptation is legit awesome, though. They definitely have the more bombastic theatrical style, as well.

I mean, look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxb8FwhzK8

time to see Helloween live was in the late 80s, fuck Andi Deris.

@Andrew_Korenchkin

my issue with Nightwish is my issue with 95% of the bands with a female lead: semi-operatic singing is awful and seldom fits the music.

best example of soft female singing in metal is still Funeral's Tragedies album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsi_YaXeufI

it's the only example where the softness actually adds to the atmosphere.

I

Within Temptation is legit awesome, though. They definitely have the more bombastic theatrical style, as well.

I mean, look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxb8FwhzK8

Ooh, I love her dress! I think I've seen numerous photos of Sharon's outfits, they are quite lovely!

This isn't bad, especially with the full orchestra. My only problem with some bands in the genre is how their composing aspirations fall far, far short of their actual composition talents. Luckily, there are some bands that don't fall to this.

@Lambda Piscium

Is Tarja a bad singer or something? As far as I'm concerned, she had the training and experience to back it up. Besides, I'm not sure if full operatic style is what she's after. I don't think she's trying to pull of Maria Callas level acrobatics.

@Lambda Piscium

Is Tarja a bad singer or something? As far as I'm concerned, she had the training and experience to back it up. Besides, I'm not sure if full operatic style is what she's after. I don't think she's trying to pull of Maria Callas level acrobatics.

she's a good singer, i just don't think it fits the sound at all.

here's good power metal with female leads who sing with a normal register:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQDloF-36o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvLMyC4a8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SQEDKMOrJQ

she's a good singer, i just don't think it fits the sound at all.

here's good power metal with female leads who sing with a normal register:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQDloF-36o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvLMyC4a8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SQEDKMOrJQ

Ah, I get you. Sometimes, there is music that you just can't stand no matter how amazingly skilled the singers are. I can think of a certain 70's song that falls into this category.

Either way, I need a break from Death and Thrash, so more Power Metal always floats my boat.

Ah, I get you. Sometimes, there is music that you just can't stand no matter how amazingly skilled the singers are. I can think of a certain 70's song that falls into this category.

Either way, I need a break from Death and Thrash, so more Power Metal always floats my boat.

here's the 2 catchiest minutes of power metal ever:

http://youtu.be/MbESRFMr0_s?t=3m8s

i still sing along with the final choir after 10 years.

Kaladin

Fuck October 29th:

Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
Corrections House - Last City Zero
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Warbringer - IV: Empires Collapse

not metal: The Devil Makes Three - I'm A Stranger Here

So yeah....fuck you October 29th.

Excellent, Ambien just wasn't working anymore.

Fuck October 29th:

Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
Corrections House - Last City Zero
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Warbringer - IV: Empires Collapse

not metal: The Devil Makes Three - I'm A Stranger Here

So yeah....fuck you October 29th.

I'm just so hyped for this! I also can't wait to see them in Nov. with Overkill and I think Kreator. I saw them with Iced Earth maybe a year ago, it was the first time I saw a band live that caused me to get into them! Never heard of them before.

mantidor

Well theatrics I think are part of the genre as a whole, I like more music in the line of black metal, and even though some fans might not like to be reminded of it, stuff like corpse paint and hard leather outfits with giant nails can't be more theatric if they tried.

fallout

Well theatrics I think are part of the genre as a whole, I like more music in the line of black metal, and even though some fans might not like to be reminded of it, stuff like corpse paint and hard leather outfits with giant nails can't be more theatric if they tried.
I think people commonly make poor excuses for why they think other music genres suck, rather than just stating something like: "it's not my thing". E.g., a buddy of mine loves Dethklok, but hates Flight of the Conchords because he says he can't respect music that is made for comedic purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom