• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well theatrics I think are part of the genre as a whole, I like more music in the line of black metal, and even though some fans might not like to be reminded of it, stuff like corpse paint and hard leather outfits with giant nails can't be more theatric if they tried.

what do you mean by "genre"? not all metal is cheesy or "theatrical".

mantidor

what do you mean by "genre"? not all metal is cheesy or "theatrical".

Well cheesy is pretty subjective. And of course there are exceptions but in general the image of the band as well as its acts have a very important part in any Metal genre, it's in the genre's roots, look at Judas Priest just to start.

I'm not saying is bad, what's bad is trying to deny it, or to judge any band on whether they are "theatrical" or not.

Kaladin

http://www.metalinjection.net/revie...r-best-metallica-concert-will-ever-experience

So who is this movie for? If you are a die-hard Metallica fan, I highly recommend this movie. If you've never seen Metallica live, I absolutely recommend this as your first experience. If you are a movie buff, I'd recommend seeing this for aesthetic purposes. If you are somebody who thinks they can just wait for the DVD, I recommend shelling out the cash for the IMAX 3D experience, because it is definitely an experience that cannot be recreated in your home.

But if you are one of those jaded fucks who stopped caring about Metallica during or before the Black Album, this one is skippable for you.

No other metal band could come close to pulling this off and very few other musical acts would even try. The band and the filmmaker clearly put a lot of effort (and money) into the film and it comes across as the best concert film you will ever see, and for that reason alone, it might be worth your time to see it in the theater.

skeebs

...but it came out last week

DANG IT!
2647215502_ddfcdc3c1c.jpg

Well cheesy is pretty subjective. And of course there are exceptions but in general the image of the band as well as its acts have a very important part in any Metal genre, it's in the genre's roots, look at Judas Priest just to start.

I'm not saying is bad, what's bad is trying to deny it, or to judge any band on whether they are "theatrical" or not.

of course metal started as over the top and theatrical. but now there are plenty of bands that have nothing to do with it. also I don't see why judging a band based on the image they project should be wrong.

Kaladin

I would've thought a band should be judged by its music. At least personally, that's all I care about. Not that the image can't be a bonus, but it's just that.

It's the whole deal of coming across as real or fake....which I know can be a little more of a grey area in the metal world with so many metal bands putting on personas as part of their act.

I think you see it most in country music with these kids record labels are trying to pass off as outlaws but for the classic outlaw movement it was about more than the sound or look, it was the attitude and diy nature of their music and fame that was "outlaw".

I would've thought a band should be judged by its music. At least personally, that's all I care about. Not that the image can't be a bonus, but it's just that.

I'd summarize it as "Does all the other information in my brain that pertains to this band fit with the ideas in their music?" Cheapens things if you find out your favorite depressing ,existential black meal band dresses like a hair metal group.

Well I guess that particular combo could be hilarious due to the dissonance.

blahness

New round of band announcements for MDF 2014:

Maryland Deathfest said:
ROUND 4

5 more bands have been confirmed for MDF XII!

CANCER (UK) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1993.

SACRIFICE (Canada) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1992.

NOCTURNUS A.D. - Playing "The Key" album in its entirety.

CROWBAR

DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)

Updated list of confirmed bands:

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES (Sweden)
BONGRIPPER
CANCER (UK)
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
CROWBAR
DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MGLA (Poland)
NOCTURNUS A.D.
SACRIFICE (Canada)
SARKE (Norway)
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/

I'd go just to watch Nocturnus do 'The Key' if i was based in the US.

Definitely in my top 5 Death Metal albums of all time.

The Key absolutely rules. Nice to see more people are fans of that album. Thresholds was good too, although not quite in the same vein as The Key. I never listened to Ethereal Tomb.

The Key absolutely rules. Nice to see more people are fans of that album. Thresholds was good too, although not quite in the same vein as The Key. I never listened to Ethereal Tomb.

The Key is fucking great. Mike Davis is a highly underrated guitarist, great riffing and amazing solos. Thresholds was an awkward album that was hampered by it's terrible production. Ethereal Tomb sucked, but the forgotten S/T EP was good. Not to mention one of the ugliest looking bands ever.

nocturnus9.jpg

Possess The Priest

But if you are one of those jaded fucks who stopped caring about Metallica during or before the Black Album, this one is skippable for you.

No other metal band could come close to pulling this off and very few other musical acts would even try. The band and the filmmaker clearly put a lot of effort (and money) into the film and it comes across as the best concert film you will ever see, and for that reason alone, it might be worth your time to see it in the theater.

At least you're being honest about it :p I will still watch it just out of curiosity. Nothing will top Pink Floyd 'Live At Pompeii' and Ultimate Revenge Part 1 (Slayer/Exodus/Venom) for me.

I still haven't received my Limited Edition Carcass album....fucking production plant is fucking this up.

The Key is fucking great. Mike Davis is a highly underrated guitarist, great riffing and amazing solos. Thresholds was an awkward album that was hampered by it's terrible production. Ethereal Tomb sucked, but the forgotten S/T EP was good. Not to mention one of the ugliest looking bands ever.

nocturnus9.jpg

Possess The Priest

I have to thank my friend for turning me onto their music. It's seriously just one of the best mix of pure Headbanging Thrash spirit and Old School Death Metal. Of course I know all about Mike Browning and their relation to Morbid Angel, and they're definitely like a more science fiction version of that band (considering Altars of Madness is one of the best albums ever). Any way, I need to check out at least their demo, even if its inferior to The Key.

On a more general route, any body else a fan of these guys?

67.jpg

Kaladin

At least you're being honest about it :p I will still watch it just out of curiosity. Nothing will top Pink Floyd 'Live At Pompeii' and Ultimate Revenge Part 1 (Slayer/Exodus/Venom) for me.

That quote is from the Metal Injection review....emphasis was mine because Metallica gets that a lot here. ;)

Burnburn

Fuck October 29th:

Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
Corrections House - Last City Zero
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Warbringer - IV: Empires Collapse

not metal: The Devil Makes Three - I'm A Stranger Here

So yeah....fuck you October 29th.

Protest The Hero's album Volition will also release on that day. It will take me all week to get through all albums.

blahness

Fuck October 29th:

Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
Corrections House - Last City Zero
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Warbringer - IV: Empires Collapse

not metal: The Devil Makes Three - I'm A Stranger Here

So yeah....fuck you October 29th.

For those into it, Russian Circles new album also comes out this day.

RDreamer

Through the Never is a damned good live album. On a Metallica kick because of it, and man sometimes I forget how good these guys were/are.

At work now tapping my foot like a madman to Kill em All on headphones.

Kaladin

Through the Never is a damned good live album. On a Metallica kick because of it, and man sometimes I forget how good these guys were/are.

At work now tapping my foot like a madman to Kill em All on headphones.

It really is one of the best produced live albums I've ever heard. The only thing I don't like about it is the stunt after Enter Sandman. I'm sure that works in the movie, but not on a live album.

It really is one of the best produced live albums I've ever heard. The only thing I don't like about it is the stunt after Enter Sandman. I'm sure that works in the movie, but not on a live album.

I think Ride the Lightning has something similar. I thought my headphones were going bad for a second.

Also, I love the solo before Nothing Else Matters. I just loop that first min. So good.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I created a Cryptopsy channel on iTunes Radio and have been jamming all day to whatever it wanted to play. Up comes Deicide's Dead By Dawn. I remember when I heard that the first time so many years ago, it sounded like the most evil fucking song ever. Still holds up pretty well, imo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
New round of band announcements for MDF 2014:
Hmmm. Nocturnus playing The Key? Candlemass, Unleashed. Good stuff. But only 3 bands, not sure I want to spend on plane tickets and hotels just for that. I'll probably pass next year. Especially with the terrible, terrible organization of this year.

Thresholds has a couple songs i really like (Climate Controller, Arctic Crypt) but yeah, doesn't really hold a candle to The Key.

Ethereal Tomb, whilst not a bad album, just lacks the intensity and atmosphere of those earlier releases IMO. Pretty forgettable.

On a more general route, any body else a fan of these guys?

67.jpg

Acid Bath are really cool. That album and When the Kite String Pops are both pretty unique. The harder songs have a bit of a punk rock element to them i thought, which worked really well. And the mellowed out, stoner stuff is 'easy listening' lol.

They did a spin off band too (i think it was called Agents of Oblivion) which had more good stuff in the vein of Acid Bath's mellow songs.

So I created a Cryptopsy channel on iTunes Radio and have been jamming all day to whatever it wanted to play. Up comes Deicide's Dead By Dawn. I remember when I heard that the first time so many years ago, it sounded like the most evil fucking song ever. Still holds up pretty well, imo.
The Deicide self-titled was one of the first DM albums i owned, and i also agree it holds up pretty well now. Its pretty consistent throughout but Dead by Dawn is one of my favourite tracks on the album also.

Can't really say the same for the rest of their stuff though, aside from a couple of songs here and there (always liked Satan-Spawn, The Caco Daemon) they don't really do it for me anymore.

The Deicide self-titled was one of the first DM albums i owned, and i also agree it holds up pretty well now. Its pretty consistent throughout but Dead by Dawn is one of my favourite tracks on the album also.

Can't really say the same for the rest of their stuff though, aside from a couple of songs here and there (always liked Satan-Spawn, The Caco Daemon) they don't really do it for me anymore.

DED-BY-DAH, DED-BY-DAH, DED-BY-DAHHHHHHHH!

Deicide has always been a super cheesy death metal band to me, but is a great fun trip to headbang to. Legion is a fun listen, especially Trifixion.

And here's a bizarre video of early Deicide (as Amon) on public access tv in Florida: Sacrificial Suicide

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah so Parallax 2 is pretty much my favorite metal album of all time. Usually I'll find a new record I like and listen to it nonstop for a week or two until I get all I can out of it. I've been listening to this album nearly exclusively for almost 2 months now, and it still has some life left. I've never gotten this much playtime out of an album.

RDreamer

So yesterday really turned into a Metallica day. Listened to Through the Never and then every album in chronological order up through the black album. Might continue the next day or two and just listen to them all. Even St. Anger.

Not Lulu, though. Fuck that one

fallout

Yeah so Parallax 2 is pretty much my favorite metal album of all time. Usually I'll find a new record I like and listen to it nonstop for a week or two until I get all I can out of it. I've been listening to this album nearly exclusively for almost 2 months now, and it still has some life left. I've never gotten this much playtime out of an album.
I love it as well (although not with quite as high of praise). I'm really looking forward to see them playing it in its entirety next month.

So yesterday really turned into a Metallica day. Listened to Through the Never and then every album in chronological order up through the black album. Might continue the next day or two and just listen to them all. Even St. Anger.

Not Lulu, though. Fuck that one

Lulu was indeed...what were they thinking?

RDreamer

Lulu was indeed...what were they thinking?

I dunno. I can't fault them for it. It was an interesting idea. Say what you will about Metallica, but at least they've tried some different things throughout their career. When you do things like that something's bound to fail pretty hard once in a while.

I dunno. I can't fault them for it. It was an interesting idea. Say what you will about Metallica, but at least they've tried some different things throughout their career. When you do things like that something's bound to fail pretty hard once in a while.

Yeah, I don't mind it when Metal bands try different things, as I think it is vital from a musical perspective to evolve and expand your sound from an artistic perspective. Unfortunately though, sometimes those "different things' just end up sucking.

Zero Hero

I pretty much second this. It's a wonderful ride.

blahness

Going to see Vektor tonight. Anyone in the DC area head to the Fillmore in Silver Spring, they are headlining and playing a long set for only $12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom