• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Metallica gets trolled often....and all people can say are the same things so being critical can be seen as trolling in that light.....I apologize if you weren't trolling.
Apology accepted, but why would you think having a negative opinion on a famous band is trolling in the first place? Makes no sense.

Not the argument I was making at all, just using that to point out that there are still plenty of fans out there....
Why would you point out that Metallica has "plenty of fans"? Like anyone here didn't know that?

you know what? Fuck it, I'm done with this discussion. I'm talking in circles here.
Well it would help if you actually had a real point to make besides whining about alleged "trolling". But okay, whatever. :S

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I've reached the St. Anger portion of my Metallica journey.

You know, it'd be interesting to see what a re-recording of St. Anger would do. Like, mix it correctly (and take the trashcan away from Lars), and add some guitar solos. It'd probably be a pretty fantastic album then.

tumblr_ljs9de0HaR1qclt3z.gif

mantidor

So, somehow, I only now discovered Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, what a fucking awesome album. Specially the first song "Brave" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tW9fekzJo

HOLY SHIT

Can anybody recommend me similar stuff?

The early Anathema albums are decent doom metal. I like their recent work but I understand fans being dissapointed, it's completely different music now.

I saw Katatonia live and it's probably the best show I've been to, it was a tiny bar so not only we had them right in our faces, we even hanged out with them for a while afterwards.

RDreamer

Whatever. I still think there are some great ideas on that album.

Actually I tend to think Metallica could have definitely put out a few albums up to par with their ...and Justice and prior. I think the thing that kept them from doing that is their own boredom with it. They seemed to want to do other shit for a while. Their execution on other shit isn't quite as good as their execution on the thrash style stuff of old, so it comes out not as good.

Also, Death Magnetic is legit good.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'll always respect Metallica for being willing to experiment and actually do what they want to do, even if it pisses the fans off. Many bands just try to redo their "best" albums, but Metallica is willing to try something new, which is rare these days.

And screw the haters, St. Anger was great for what it was.

Kaladin

Metal thread......and this is for all of metal thread....what is your opinion on The Goddamn Gallows?

The Maker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdqQuVQlcMA

Load Yer Gunzzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSA1aqD274

What Was The High?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkagtawbfNM

47 Crosses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRjEGOCT9XA

In League With Satan (Venom Cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPYOjWwLoA

These guys are heavy as fuck for a psychobilly band.

They're borderline metal on some songs.

Just curious to hear some metal fans opinions on this band that blends metal influences with other styles of music.

Metal thread......and this is for all of metal thread....what is your opinion on The Goddamn Gallows?

The Maker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdqQuVQlcMA

Load Yer Gunzzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSA1aqD274

What Was The High?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkagtawbfNM

47 Crosses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRjEGOCT9XA

In League With Satan (Venom Cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPYOjWwLoA

These guys are heavy as fuck for a psychobilly band.

They're borderline metal on some songs.

Just curious to hear some metal fans opinions on this band that blends metal influences with other styles of music.

Hmmm, this is very interesting. I'm not sure what to think of them.

How come Country Metal isn't a genre?

Melt Banana is one of the most funnest consistent bands. Seen them lots of times when they come to SF or Berkeley. For a band like that, the smaller the venue, the better.

Definitely.

I want to hear other folks' small venue, awesome band experiences. The next person who shares might get a Wesley Willis story!

Definitely.

I want to hear other folks' small venue, awesome band experiences. The next person who shares might get a Wesley Willis story!

about 95% of the shows I go to are small venues/bars/record stores. I can't stand huge venues with high ticket prices and being far away from the stage.

Arnocorps are always fun live, especially at small bars. The bass player would actually "crowd surf" by putting his bass guitar case on top of the crowd and use it like a surf board. Lots of chairs and tables being flipped over, lots of climbing on top of shit. One show they had was outdoors and they literally ziplined onto stage.

Not technically a show, but High On Fire was the band at my sisters wedding...they were playing wedding acoustic type music. This was before their first album came out.

I think one of the coolest recent small shows I've been to was a private show by Om and Boris at Amoeba Records in San Francisco. I think it was around 100 people max. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHyx5XDYn_E

I saw Deafheaven last night at a guitar shop in the back room, maybe a couple hundred people. I'm quite conflicted with this band, yet enjoy their music quite a lot. The singer is so disruptive with his Dave Gahan/Morrissey on stage antics that makes it feel somewhat displaced, not to mention their "image" which goes against with the whole realm of metal presence.

Southern Metal is probably the closest established thing in the present day you'll come across, as far as I know.

Maybe Southern Rock is better at being an influence but not really something to base a whole genre around. I enjoy Mastodon, and they have a considerable Southern Rock influence as far as I'm concerned. I know Pantera has a lot of Southern Rock influence, but I've never been a fan of their music. So I'm drawing a blank on this one.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Maybe Southern Rock is better at being an influence but not really something to base a whole genre around. I enjoy Mastodon, and they have a considerable Southern Rock influence as far as I'm concerned. I know Pantera has a lot of Southern Rock influence, but I've never been a fan of their music. So I'm drawing a blank on this one.

It's not really a stand-alone genre but often as an additional genre moniker for bands in other metal subgenres and the amount of "southern" or "americana/folk" can really fluxuate between bands and sometimes between albums (made part this list a while back, and it spans a lot of metal subgenres, so YMMV. Some other thread guys made some great contributions to the list too):

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Hellyeah
ABYSS
The Sign Of The Southern Cross
Southern Whiskey Rebellion
Redneck Rampage
Once Nothing
The Showdown
Twelve Gauge Valentine
Down
Hank Williams III
Exhorder
Iron Tongue
sludge bands from NOLA/Georgia
(later) Obituary

I recently started getting back into Bass Playing after playing a lot in High School, and Steve Harris is one of the best in Metal. Such fluid Bass Lines, melodic and very tuneful.

Speaking of Maiden, Zodiakironfist has some great Bass Covers for Metal. Here's one for Iron Maiden's Aces High.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMZTvALfPpM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDnVzTRkC_c

While this guy is pretty sloppy as he often admits in almost every video he posts (he's pretty comfortable with his sloppy technique), Rob plays the heck out of every song with passion, feeling, and love for the material. So much better than most cover musicians who played like they're on sedatives and bored out of their mind.

Kaladin

I actually want to learn bass, but I want to learn upright bass. It's a cool instrument and if I want to play bass, that's how I ultimately want to play it. It's expensive as fuck though....like $1500 for a good one. Student level instruments are $700 range. You can get a good instrument in that range on craigslist, but I would have to travel just to see it.

I might have to get a guitar first to learn the fundamentals....with the idea that I'm switching later (and yeah, I know they're different animals, but at least I can get used to bass playing).

Valtýr

RE: conversation about St. Anger.

IMO the only good song on that album is Some Kind of Monster.

edit: and really, I only liked a live version I heard years ago.

RDreamer

Z8wrszR.png

I'd tack another 300 on Night Is the New Day because it came out around when I got my MP3 player that doesn't sync. Such an incredible CD.

Wow.

Viva Emptiness is still one of my favorite albums of all time and a kind of musical foundation album for me. I'm not sure I like NitND or DEK more than TGCD either. Still good albums, though. DEK took a while to grow on me for some reason.

Greg

Wow.

Viva Emptiness is still one of my favorite albums of all time and a kind of musical foundation album for me. I'm not sure I like NitND or DEK more than TGCD either. Still good albums, though. DEK took a while to grow on me for some reason.
(in case it was confusing from the picture, those are track plays not album plays)

It honestly took DEK a good 15 listens before it really clicked, and the only reason I kept going back is because I knew it took quite a few for NItND. I think the addition of Frank on keys really helped those 2 CDs separate themselves from their earlier work for me.

And speaking of Viva Emptiness, it's getting completely remixed and remastered for release at the end of October, and not one of those generic remaster/re-releases. Castillo is doing the work (had his hand in the production for the last 3 releases), so I'm pretty excited.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw Deafheaven last night at a guitar shop in the back room, maybe a couple hundred people. I'm quite conflicted with this band, yet enjoy their music quite a lot. The singer is so disruptive with his Dave Gahan/Morrissey on stage antics that makes it feel somewhat displaced, not to mention their "image" which goes against with the whole realm of metal presence.
I don't really have an issue with their image, but the singer definitely rubbed me the wrong way when I saw them live. Doesn't affect my appreciation of the music, though.

RDreamer

(in case it was confusing from the picture, those are track plays not album plays)

It honestly took DEK a good 15 listens before it really clicked, and the only reason I kept going back is because I knew it took quite a few for NItND. I think the addition of Frank on keys really helped those 2 CDs separate themselves from their earlier work for me.

And speaking of Viva Emptiness, it's getting completely remixed and remastered for release at the end of October, and not one of those generic remaster/re-releases. Castillo is doing the work (had his hand in the production for the last 3 releases), so I'm pretty excited.

Yeah I knew it was track plays. Still a good amount of plays there.

I'm mildly interested in the remaster, I suppose. I didn't really think VE needed a remaster. I suppose I haven't listened in a little while, but still I never really thought it had any sound issues at all. In fact the sound of that album was one of the big things that brought me into it back in the day.

Now I feel like I should go on a Katatonia spree much like my recent Metallica one. hm

Greg

Yeah I knew it was track plays. Still a good amount of plays there.

I'm mildly interested in the remaster, I suppose. I didn't really think VE needed a remaster. I suppose I haven't listened in a little while, but still I never really thought it had any sound issues at all. In fact the sound of that album was one of the big things that brought me into it back in the day.

Now I feel like I should go on a Katatonia spree much like my recent Metallica one. hm
VE is definitely more raw compared to the 3 newest, but it was the first I heard from them so it'll be weird hearing anything else.

I might have to join you on the spree though. For as much as I listened to them, I haven't in a while (except to check out Dethroned & Uncrowned, which I wasn't really a fan of).

RDreamer

I really just love how varied VE is. They mostly kind of stick to one sound for whole albums for most of their discography except that one. Lots of variety in sounds and styles.

Greg

I really just love how varied VE is. They mostly kind of stick to one sound for whole albums for most of their discography except that one. Lots of variety in sounds and styles.
yeah, it's great

and then that instrumental closer is such a perfect way to end it

What would The Black Dahlia Murder be specifically classified as?

Probably along the lines of Melodic Death Metal although with a considerable hardcore influence, from what I've heard. They also seem to be influenced by Black Metal.

I'm not really a fan of them, but if I had to classify their music it would probably be that. Hard to say, really.

I've been listening to the Vestiges/Panopticon split all weekend, it's super great stuff. Vestiges I just discovered with this split, they're sort of an atmospheric black metal outift with some crust influence. Panopticon's (who put out one of my favorite records of last year) side is what you would expect if you already know of them, which is atmospheric black metal with some folk influences. Extremely recommended if you're into that absurd collaboration of genres.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What would The Black Dahlia Murder be specifically classified as?

They're pretty much straight melodic death metal. Maybe some metalcore-ish stuff on Unhallowed and Miasma, but I'm not as familiar with those albums. Everything since Nocturnal has been very At The Gates and Dissection influenced. I think they're a really solid band and fun to listen to.

Gaspode_T

I looove the Katatonia CDs too. Picked up the old Madder Mortem CD based off of finding that band on YouTube / here, I guess the internet is useful for something because I really love those old Madder Mortem CDs now

They're pretty much straight melodic death metal. Maybe some metalcore-ish stuff on Unhallowed and Miasma, but I'm not as familiar with those albums. Everything since Nocturnal has been very At The Gates and Dissection influenced. I think they're a really solid band and fun to listen to.

Funnest live show I've ever been to for sure.

Mr_Zombie

Vulture Industries put the title song of their upcoming album on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZ_pm7R22Q

I like it, but hope Bjornar screams on some of the tracks on the album. The lyrical content is right up my alley, which is lucky.

For comparison, here is a track from their previous album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeGiZLHk2vI

If you haven't heard of them (I don't think they're very popular and the last time I mentioned them I got no bites), they're sort of like Arcturus but darker and with (even) more of an Edgar Allen Poe vibe and flair for dramatics. Their albums are loosely tied together conceptually, the first one being about individuality/dystopian future, second being about justice and crimes of the good side, and based on the song above, the third album may be about consumerism or consumption.

Quoting this old post because I've been to Leprous concert few days ago and Vulture Industries was their supporting band. I haven't heard about this band before but I really liked them at the concert and recently started listening to their CDs. Bjørnar has a really interesting voice - his hard English accent sets a perfect tone for their songs. However, what really sold me on the band is Bjørnar's performance on scene. He was acting songs he was singing and expressions on his face were amazing :D. Also, because the concert was in a small club, at one point he even jumped off the scene and was interacting with the people in the crowd. Great and funny guy he is. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom