• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or how awesomely unnoticed they can be sometimes due to shitty mixing.

Atheist - Mother Man (Bass and Drum tracks)

Death - Suicide Machine (Bass and Drum tracks)

Oh yeah, the backing tracks are excellent. I have the Reissue for Unquestionable Presence and Roger Patterson's attack and aggression is a huge gap in terms of Tony Choy. Choy is great, but Patterson I always felt was the better bass player for Atheist. I actually enjoy the instrumental versions, for what it's worth.

As for Death, I think we can all agree that Steve DiGiorgio and Sean Reinhart made such an awesome combo. I want to learn how to play some of his bass lines considering that I got my bass working again. He was also pretty damn good in Sadus. Gordian Knot wasn't on the same level as Cynic's Focus or Death's Human, but I thought their first album was pretty damn good.

Oh yeah, the backing tracks are excellent. I have the Reissue for Unquestionable Presence and Roger Patterson's attack and aggression is a huge gap in terms of Tony Choy. Choy is great, but Patterson I always felt was the better bass player for Atheist. I actually enjoy the instrumental versions, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure Roger Patterson, Tony Choy, and Steve DiGiorgio are all the same guys. They all have the same veracity and attack, fucking nuts.

Hey everyone that likes beer, metal, and headbanging:

Speedwolf - Ride With Death

a2930677563_10.jpg

choodi

Banned
All Katatonia BMD-era lovers should check now (sadly) defunct Rapture and their outings, especially Futile and Songs for the Withering.

Rapture - Futile
Rapture - This is Where I Am
Rapture - Enveloped

Awesome shit.

Holy shit, that's awesome.

I've been a Katatonia fan since Dance of December Souls and even though I love their current style, I have often found myself thinking, 'I wish they would make an album that resembled their early stuff'.

Oh, and Viva Emptiness is far and away their best album.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You enjoy Red Fang so please try Orange Goblin! Classic powerful british stoner rock/metal! They've been around for quite some time now, too...1996 or something. Their singer is a beast and they all seem to be some down to earth dudes! They really built a strong unique style, especially on the latest 4 or 5 albums. I will link some cool songs:

Rage of Angels (listen to the whole thing!)

Big Black

Red Tide Rising

Some You Win Some You Loose

(Edit: best listened with a bottle of beer and high volume! :) )

Good stuff, loving Red Tide Rising.

Saw Baroness live yesterday. Some of the Yellow/Green stuff holds up really well (Sea Lungs, Line Between, Eula), some songs don't (Little Things). Isak was the only nod to the red album, which was kinda disappointing. Great as a closer though.

I've been thoroughly enjoying The Call of the Wretched Sea, Andrew_Korenchkin. Thanks for bringing Ahab to my attention.

So I just got a new car and I have XM Radio for the first time.

Turned on Liquid Metal and Manowar's The Gods Made Heavy Metal was playing.

That made my day.

I've been thoroughly enjoying The Call of the Wretched Sea, Andrew_Korenchkin. Thanks for bringing Ahab to my attention.

You're very welcome! I'm glad to see more people getting into that band. I need to pick up one of their records, considering that I can't find it any more (I've been listening thanks to Youtube). I feel they need my support. Also, if you enjoy Funeral Doom, also give a shot.

Evoken's Antithesis of Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLg4oh4bDRU

Whoa, what car did you get? I love my car, I blast Death Metal in it all the time. Never thought putting down the window blasting Metal could be so awesome.

Kaladin

So I just got a new car and I have XM Radio for the first time.

Turned on Liquid Metal and Manowar's The Gods Made Heavy Metal was playing.

That made my day.

Liquid Metal, Ozzy's Boneyard, Outlaw Country, Bluegrass Junction, BB King's Bluesville

Those are my main channels...and I have a few others I'll take a side trip to.

Liquid Metal, Ozzy's Boneyard, Outlaw Country, Bluegrass Junction, BB King's Bluesville

Those are my main channels...and I have a few others I'll take a side trip to.

Thanks, I'll check these out. I've been cycling between LM, Ozzy's, some other rock/metal station I can't remember the name of, and the Metallica channel(but I'm assuming thats temp?). The Metallica channel is pretty cool because they've been playing demos of some of their songs and a bunch of live stuff to boot.

Kaladin

Thanks, I'll check these out. I've been cycling between LM, Ozzy's, some other rock/metal station I can't remember the name of, and the Metallica channel(but I'm assuming thats temp?). The Metallica channel is pretty cool because they've been playing demos of some of their songs and a bunch of live stuff to boot.

Yeah, the Metallica channel is temp. I heard a demo of Unforgiven 2 which was hilarious because the only lyrics they had were the hooks for the chorus and James was singing yeah yeeeeah yeah yeeeeah yeah yeah over the verses.

I see your Speedwolf, and rise you with Midnight.

Long live black n roll.

yea, so awesome!

There might be some Goblin fans in here, but Zombi just announced they are doing a small tour on the 2nd leg of the Goblin tour!

1239985_10151906073120359_1680075926_n.jpg

Nov 29 Chicago, IL The Empty Bottle*
Nov 30 Minneapolis, MN The Varsity Theater
Dec 1 Milwaukee, WI Turner Hall
Dec 3 St. Louis, MO 2720 Cherokee
Dec 4 Cincinnati, OH Taft Theatre
Dec 5 Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom
Dec 6 Pittsburgh, PA Carnegie Music Hall
Dec 8 Albany, NY Upstate Concert Hall
Dec 10 Boston, MA Sinclair
Dec 11 New Haven, CT Center Church on the Green
Dec 12 Philadelphia, PA Trocadero
Dec 13 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
Dec 14 Carrboro, NC Cats Cradle

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Worked for Gloryhammer tonight, man that was one of the most fun gigs I've done it a while.

Wasn't sure what to expect, but man does Thomas (Angus McFife) have a really old school metal voice.

Very tight outfit, entertaining show.

Thoroughly enjoyable, highly recommended

eot

Banned
Do Drudkh have any more songs along the lines of:
Only The Wind Remembers My Name
Wind Of The Night Forests
Eternal Turn Of The Wheel
Downfall Of The Epoch
?

I've listened to a few songs at random, but I haven't found any atmospheric ones like those.

Ravager61

Do Drudkh have any more songs along the lines of:
Only The Wind Remembers My Name
Wind Of The Night Forests
Eternal Turn Of The Wheel
Downfall Of The Epoch
?

I've listened to a few songs at random, but I haven't found any atmospheric ones like those.

Just listen to Autumn Aurora and especially Blood in our Wells. 2 of their best and most atmospheric releases.

When The Flame Turns to Ashes has always been one of my favorite Drudkh songs. The second half is mind blowing.

Fuck, completely missed Helloweeen last night, didn't get off work in time :( Good thing I waited to buy a ticket.

Anywho, I was never a big fan of Soulfly but their new album Savages is kinda cool. Reminds me of older Sepultura. Kinda.

damn straight. how many bands can pride themselves for looking like extras in a Conan movie?

Manowar1984Poster.jpg

Ah yes, the glory of metal. Where men gather to see other men perform, who sing in high voices, while the sweat accentuates their half naked, burly bodies.

Wasn't there a small discussion about metal and theatrics? While Manowar is certainly an outlier, such a picture still fits very well within the metal scene. Theatrics plays such a big role in metal imo, with 90% of the bands having over the top themes. I wouldn't want to miss songs about autopsies, demons ruling frostbitten worlds, vikings doing viking stuff, outerwordly beings, etc etc.

Anyone going to see Katatonia?

They were really not what I expected when I saw them in Cleveland last night. Maybe it was an off night. The guitar sound was really bad (my favorite aspect of their music), and there was this awkwardness that put me off. I left halfway through.

Cult of Luna... who has the patience for that. There were a few cool parts, and a great light show, but it went on forever. It was like two local post metal bands onstage at once, playing the most mediocre parts possible. They were twice as loud as Tesseract and Katatonia, and the music wasn't worth the extra ear ringing that's for sure.

Tesseract was really good, but like last time I saw them, they only played a few songs. The best band of the night for sure, but I missed Intronaut.

Kaladin

Relapse has released a free 26 song Fall 2013 sampler on Amazon MP3:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAUX6XS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Featuring songs from:

RED FANG
Toxic Holocaust
Windhand
Revocation
Exhumed
True Widow
Nothing
ASG
Ulcerate
Obliteration
Baroness
Black Tusk
Inter Arma
Lord Dying
Howl
Coffins
Devourment
Primitive Man
Locrian
Wolvserpent
Horseback
Unkind
Call of the Void
Mumakil
Blockheads
Weekend Nachos

rObit

Banned
Relapse has released a free 26 song Fall 2013 sampler on Amazon MP3:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAUX6XS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hot business. Unfamiliar with most of these bands so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.

As Vildhjärta is coming out with a new album soon (and that the EP is out on iTunes and Spotify) i thought i'd bring you guys up to speed on the awesome djentmetal that Vildhjärta is:

"Dagger"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnaClnVnj_c

"Traces"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFSi_pTp7Y

"Dimman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xRN8A2UBZ8

If you like Meshuggah you'll most likely love Vildhjärta. I know i do.

thall

Hell yes. Love these guys.

On an unrelated note, still listening to that Insomnium single multiple times a day. I can't wait for their LP.

As Vildhjärta is coming out with a new album soon (and that the EP is out on iTunes and Spotify) i thought i'd bring you guys up to speed on the awesome djentmetal that Vildhjärta is:

"Dagger"

"Traces"

"Dimman"

thall

Well, Meshuggah is my favorite metal band working right now, so I'll check them out.

"Dagger"

"Traces"

"Dimman"

thall

they seem less shitty than the average djent band. I can't say more than that.
(I like Meshuggah, btw)

jay

Quoting this old post because I've been to Leprous concert few days ago and Vulture Industries was their supporting band. I haven't heard about this band before but I really liked them at the concert and recently started listening to their CDs. Bjørnar has a really interesting voice - his hard English accent sets a perfect tone for their songs. However, what really sold me on the band is Bjørnar's performance on scene. He was acting songs he was singing and expressions on his face were amazing :D. Also, because the concert was in a small club, at one point he even jumped off the scene and was interacting with the people in the crowd. Great and funny guy he is. :D

I am jealous you saw them. I'm not confident they will ever make it to the states. Did they do any Devil Doll covers? That's apparently Bjørnar's favorite band but they are a bit too ridiculous for me. VI teeters on the edge of drama school kid project as is.

The new album seems good but the bad news is my fears were realized. Only one screamed verse in one song. They're basically a Disney cover band now.

Kaladin

William-Shatner-Ponder-The-Mystery.jpg

No matter how crazy it sounds, William Shatner's new album Ponder the Mystery – a collection of prog rock songs paired with Shatner's original spoken word poetry – is not a joke. It's actually his fifth album, going all the way back to 1968's infamous The Transformed Man. Created with former Yes guitarist Billy Sherwood, the LP (in stores on October 8th) features guest spots by Rick Wakeman, Vince Gill, Steve Vai, Robby Krieger, Mick Jones and others.

How did this album come about?
The label came to me and said, "Would you like to do another album?" and I said, "Absolutely." Then they said, "Well, what would you like to do?" In that moment, I had a creative thought. I said, "I'll take that period of time, an hour before sunset, where a guy is at the beach and in despair about his life, and write music that goes through twilight and sunset into the sounds of the night. Gradually, with the beauty of the night and his thinking, he regains the joy of his life."

That story will not be evident to anybody listening to the album unless they listen really carefully, but it provides inspiration for me to write songs. I took the idea and ran with it. I created these poems that suggest this transformation. Then Billy Sherwood, who the label teamed me up with, took my words and made them into songs. His is a true genius.

Are you a prog rock fan?
I think that prog rock is the science fiction of music. Science fiction speculates on what the future might be and look like and how we'll get there, and yet there's always a central theme of humanity, or there should be. Progressive rock has the same concept of exploration into the parts of the music world that hasn't been explored.

Did you buy prog rock albums when they came out back in the 1970s?
Yeah. I would listen to the music. . . This has always been a fault of mine. In entertainment, whether it's movies or television or whatever, I'm a great audience, but I don't remember the names of the people I've seen or the groups that I've heard. So yes, progressive rock, I began to discover, was my music.

I imagine that many Star Trek fans also like prog rock.
I agree, and that's the reason I've gone there with Billy.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ck-album-and-star-trek-20130911#ixzz2gfvUWcWl

Melchiah

William-Shatner-Ponder-The-Mystery.jpg

No matter how crazy it sounds, William Shatner's new album Ponder the Mystery – a collection of prog rock songs paired with Shatner's original spoken word poetry – is not a joke. It's actually his fifth album, going all the way back to 1968's infamous The Transformed Man. Created with former Yes guitarist Billy Sherwood, the LP (in stores on October 8th) features guest spots by Rick Wakeman, Vince Gill, Steve Vai, Robby Krieger, Mick Jones and others.

Speaking of Yes, they seem to have been an influence to Venom.

QFS
EDIT: Roger Dean made several album covers for Yes, and some for Uriah Heep as well. He was also the man behind Psygnosis game cover art.

FYC

Banned
Anybody a fan of Helmet or Faith No More? I know they don't really fall under the "Extreme" umbrella, but both Angel Dust and Meantime are classics.

I think I've made a terrible mistake and am about to be banned, so let my last words be Helmet and Faith No More rule

Also I like Deftones' cover of Sinatra

I think I've made a terrible mistake and am about to be banned, so let my last words be Helmet and Faith No More rule

Also I like Deftones' cover of Sinatra

Never bothered to listen to the Deftones. From what I gather, they aren't even Nu-Metal, especially in their later career. At least that's what people tell me.

If if makes you feel better, I think System of a Down (Toxicity) is awesome, although I wouldn't classify them as being a metal band. Just an hard rock/alternative rock band.

PS Who's the anime character in your profile pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom