• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that tour: FNM touring for Angel Dust and Helmet touring for Meantime.

Pretty damn sick. It's a shame that both bands are associated with shit bands like korn, but at least both Page Hamilton and Mike Patton are less than enthusiastic about being lumped in with those terrible bands. To wit.

"Regarding his band's influence on nu metal, Faith No More and Mr. Bungle singer Mike Patton said "I feel no responsibility for that, it's their mothers' fault, not mine."[92] While Helmet frontman Page Hamilton has stated "it's frustrating that people write [us] off because we're affiliated with or credited with or discredited with creating nu-metal and rap metal or whatever the fuck it is, which we sound nothing like.""

Anybody a fan of Helmet or Faith No More? I know they don't really fall under the "Extreme" umbrella, but both Angel Dust and Meantime are classics.

Helmet might be in my top 10 all time bands and meantime one of my most listened records ever but I think strap it on, betty and aftertaste are all incredible too. Their latest records didn't really do it for me that much although size matters had also some great songs.

I'm also a big faith no more fan although I don't listen to them that much nowadays. Helmet I still listen regularly :)

I'm a big fan of The Real Thing and We Care A Lot. I can only tolerate half of Angel Dust. Helmet, not so much.

How can you not like this? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPRTW3aOPs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kaladin

Oh Facebook...

946025_599207496792047_1897921537_n.jpg

FYC

Banned
Never bothered to listen to the Deftones. From what I gather, they aren't even Nu-Metal, especially in their later career. At least that's what people tell me.

If if makes you feel better, I think System of a Down (Toxicity) is awesome, although I wouldn't classify them as being a metal band. Just an hard rock/alternative rock band.

PS Who's the anime character in your profile pic?

Thanks :p Toxicity is neat. Have you listened to their debut? Now that shit rules.

I used fanart of Cortana from Halo for the avatar 'cause I've been playing a lot of Quake Live and Halo lately. Everyone should play Quake Live, it's cool.

can someone please explain Katatonia to me (the later albums I mean)?

they sound like a poor man's Tool mixed with shitty radio friendly american "modern metal".

Kaladin

So....I'm going to this tomorrow night:

554112_10151984064457577_625408841_n.jpg

The only familiar with was ANTISEEN, but The Hookers were awesome and The Meatmen were that brand of in your face shock hardcore that is fun live, but I wouldn't go out of my way to hear or see it.

ANTISEEN was awesome as usual and they played a great show with a packed house. They played a few songs with their 1993 lineup which was cool....those guys sounded like the you'll still be the current lineup.

Because I don't think anyone posts in the ITT: Metallica thread any more:

Some interesting Metallica news:

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metallica-to-cross-another-frontier-in-december/?utm_source=feedly

A Metallica Christmas album would be pretty fucking sweet, not gonna lie. Something like the Twisted Sister album but with Metallica! \m/

Metallica: Lars Hints At “New Frontier”

So, Maiden's Final Frontier was rumored to be their "final album". Announcement of Metallica's "final album"? I hope not. Possible concept album? I kinda hope so!

We find out tomorrow!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The new Trivium "Vengeance Falls" is fucking OUT!

1078551_10151591360221896_1805612761_o-1000x515.jpg

Can't wait to get my hardcopy, as well. I always support these guys. The band is streaming the entire album online right now.

The new Trivium "Vengeance Falls" is fucking OUT!

1078551_10151591360221896_1805612761_o-1000x515.jpg

Can't wait to get my hardcopy, as well. I always support these guys. The band is streaming the entire album online right now.

Where were you when I was getting slammed for going to see Trivium last week? Love those guys, and the new album

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Where were you when I was getting slammed for going to see Trivium last week? Love those guys, and the new album

What!? I got my baseball bat ready. Trivium are incredible. I've seen them live 3 times in NY, met them as well. I actually live near Matt Heafy now here in Florida. Hell, I went to a Dream Theater concert just to see Trivium as an opening act 2 years ago hahaha. Saw them headline once. And co-headline with In Flames...so that was an epicly Godly experience.

What the fuck is going on in the cover art?

The mech towers are stylized Ts, and vengeance is falling. It's a common theme in their lyrics.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is FACE perma'd?

RIP brother. I shall listen to Darkness Descends.
Damn I hope not. I can only guess at what he did (the thread title says "removed" but I bet it said something like "Half-Life, 3 videos") but it seems to be just a silly prank, I can understand a suspension but hopefully it's temp.

Is FACE perma'd?

RIP brother. I shall listen to Darkness Descends.

Holy crap, is he?

Shoot. Not many people I know of online (certainly not in person) even know about my favorite Thrash albums (Spectrum of Death, Darkness Descends, Eternal Nightmare, Pleasure to Kill, The Years of Decay, etc), but he did.

Have any of you people ever had to deal with feeling like an outsider due to the fact that nobody else enjoys metal like you do? I've, thankfully, never gave a damn about that, but I do find it slightly annoying that people just assume I'm "jamming" or "Rockin!" (ACK) to some (No Joke) Nickelback (NO).

The last couple of weeks have been very good for metal. The new Atlantean Kodex is awesome. The best epic metal album since While Heaven Wept's "Vast Oceans Lachrymose": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMwW7ivQc8

Twilight of the Gods is fantastic as well. Alan Averill can do no wrong it seems.

Then there is Bombus. From what I've heard, many seem to think of them as Kvelertak copycats. But to me their new album even surpasses the last Kvelertak output. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Ejx9WPvec

Last but not least: Check out Thunder & Lightning from Germany. "In Charge Of The Scythe" is power metal done right. I hope the band gets the recognition it deserves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUme-H9svQ

Blackheim

Shoot. Not many people I know of online (certainly not in person) even know about my favorite Thrash albums (Spectrum of Death, Darkness Descends, Eternal Nightmare, Pleasure to Kill, The Years of Decay, etc), but he did.

Have any of you people ever had to deal with feeling like an outsider due to the fact that nobody else enjoys metal like you do? I've, thankfully, never gave a damn about that, but I do find it slightly annoying that people just assume I'm "jamming" or "Rockin!" (ACK) to some (No Joke) Nickelback (NO).

See, I know of and am familiar with those albums (since I'd say I'm more into Thrash than most other genres). Also many others talked about in this thread. Thing is with me, I'd much rather be listening to music than talking about it, even if it is my greatest passion :p I'll chime in here and there but ultimately, if I never talk about it I won't be bothered by it.

Also, for the second bit...Growing up in the 80's and having that whole Metal = Satan business going on as well as the PMRC nonsense, it was annoying. You were cast an outsider on sight if you looked the part and stigmatized for it in my neck of the woods. That pretty much encouraged like-minded individuals like myself to have our own insular community. We didn't care and developed quite a thick skin because of it. Metal was our way of life, we were Metal and the person be damned who tried to take that away :) I listen to more than Metal these days, but it's what is closest to my heart and still makes up most of my listening experience. I am Metal, piss off to any who might think otherwise :p

Anyway, too much talk from me, have some Metal:

Carnivore - S.M.D.

DBC - Phobos And Deimos

Deathwish - Carrion

Intruder - Face Of Hate

Raped Ape - The Krusher

Wrath - Mutants

Greg

I think you have to do better than that. Mine was a serious post, Katatonia is one of the bands I shoud like but I really can't.
speaking for the two newest which are my favorites: incredible atmosphere, lots of layers to take in, and Jonas' vocals

I don't hear the Tool comparison at all unless you only listened to 'Dead Letters' from their newest which is an outlier of their recent direction (one of the two mediocre tracks from that album in my opinion), and I don't understand the 'radio friendly modern metal' comment because they aren't trying to be Spawn of Possession

you really have to buy into the atmosphere and give the tracks a couple listens to really separate themselves from each other - especially for the vocals

they just might not be for you, but they are at their best for me when they really tone things back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EbVBUXhos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJx93DcId8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw78mx9kJCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNLvmLXuGdQ

Yup, thats how I feel all the time. Luckily I can enjoy just about all music so I never get annoyed when my friends listen to other stuff.

But I know the feel, no one else listens to metal and they all just think its angry bears pissed at a microphone music. Its super annoying because everything I listen to has meaning and feels.

Oh well, I'll keep on enjoying the music I enjoy. Theres metal for just about any mood I'm in, and it always makes me feel better. No other music can do that for me.

I think you have to do better than that. Mine was a serious post, Katatonia is one of the bands I shoud like but I really can't.

You might associate a stigma with their sound, I'm not sure you can like them if that's the case. I don't even hear the Tool influence on TGCD, so there's no stigma for me at all.

I really do think the grooves/riffs in TGCD are second to none in the genre. Just about ever song has a great riff.

Viva Emptiness is a better album, but doesn't have the amount of god tier riffs like TGCD.

It's actually kind of odd to ask someone to explain to you what the appeal of a band is due to you feeling like you should like them. If you can listen to 'Leaders' or 'Ghost of the Sun' and not feel it, move on.

You might associate a stigma with their sound, I'm not sure you can like them if that's the case. I don't even hear the Tool influence on TGCD, so there's no stigma for me at all.

I really do think the grooves/riffs in TGCD are second to none in the genre. Just about ever song has a great riff.

Viva Emptiness is a better album, but doesn't have the amount of god tier riffs like TGCD.

It's actually kind of odd to ask someone to explain to you what the appeal of a band is due to you feeling like you should like them. If you can listen to 'Leaders' or 'Ghost of the Sun' and not feel it, move on.

I just started listening to Katatonia and I too got a slight tool vibe from some of their songs. Precisely Leaders is the one that first made me think of this.

After having listened to almost all their albums at least once I really think that brave murder day is by far their best album and it kind of sucks that no other of their "growling" era records is half as good as BMD.

Rainroom is such an amazing song btw

I just started listening to Katatonia and I too got a slight tool vibe from some of their songs. Precisely Leaders is the one that first made me think of this.

After having listened to almost all their albums at least once I really think that brave murder day is by far their best album and it kind of sucks that no other of their "growling" era records is half as good as BMD.

Rainroom is such an amazing song btw

I tired of BMD years ago. I understand why it's still so highly regarded, but I have no motivation to ever hear it again. It's the same with Opeth.

VE and TGCD are really what I want when I'm in the mood for Katatonia. It's much more sophisticated and interesting to listen to, it's more emotionally complex, and the heaviness is more intense. They're just a lot better at what they do than they were a decade before, which is how it should be for a great band.

I fucking love everything about this picture. It's so damn Manowar, and Manowar gives absolutely zero fucks.

In the last decade Manowar sadly became a bad parody of themselves, but I still love them to death. They were one of the first bands that introduced me to metal and their albums up to Kings of Metal are classics and have influenced countless other musicans.

And Eric Adams is (was) one of the best metal vocalists of all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom